• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I've been slowing down considerably with buying games so I'll be able to breeze through my backlog. I'm pretty much just restricting myself to buying one game a month. MonHun is next month!

STOP GIVING/SUGGESTING ME A BILLION OF GAMES, EVERYONE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Chivlary is the cheapest it's been so far on Steam atm, go grab it!

Backlogs are for weenies.

I just buy shit all day under the assumption that i'll play it at some point before I die

That's what a backlog is brah, welcome to the club~

Yeah, put me in the "fuck backlogs" camp.

I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 2
HNNNNNNNGGGGGG so good
and then I'll play another video game. Maybe it'll be one I already started! Maybe not! Maybe I won't actually play a game at all!

Some things, you shouldn't plan.

qq more

There's hardly much stuff I want to grab ASAP. MonHun and Animal Crossing are the only games I have actual reasons to grab whenever I have the chance. I can wait for every other game I'm looking forward to.

This isn't to say 2013 is a bad gaming year, I think it's off to a great start, really.

Nert

New Sonic game announced: Sonic 5, complete with HD sprites, old-school physics, and it gives the finger to Dimps' level design! The true successor to S3&K. No trace of Sonic 4 to be found here!

Truly as you imagined it.

Wow, that sounds great! Will it be launched exclusively on Apple iOS devices(tm)?

Wow, that sounds great! Will it be launched exclusively on Apple iOS devices(tm)?

$4.99 per Act, with Season Pass to get all the acts for the discounted price of $49.99*

*Does not include Apocalypse Zone, the secret final area where Amazing Amy and Super Sally rescue Sonic and save the world

OMG Aero

Backloggery should really change its name. Every time it is mentioned or someone links to it people always post stuff like this:
Backlog seems like some first world problem shit. Makes video games seems like a chore. "Ugh, now I got to get through Ghost Trick here, and then eventually come back to MGS1...fuck, man!"
When I have never seen anyone think of it this way.
Everyone just uses it as a way of keeping a list of what games they have (which can be useful for insurance purposes if nothing else) and keeping track of what games they have completed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna finish off Asura's Wrath today. I hope. It's been an awesome ride.

I also drank my first pop after Lent, and uh... wow... did pop always taste this bad? I can't stand it. Ewwwww.

I liked the other review better, but damn if I didn't laugh at this. This was good!

Please forgive me for I am not worthy
More people need to listen to the advice I give. I write lengthy posts for a reason.

STOP GIVING/SUGGESTING ME A BILLION OF GAMES, EVERYONE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
No. YOU'RE GONNA LISTEN AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT, QQ.

At least you're not like some other person who hasn't played a game in 2013 yet and he doesn't listen to my suggestions because he's always busy playing old games he's played before. (Nah, just kidding, he's cool.)

Backlog seems like some first world problem shit. Makes video games seems like a chore. "Ugh, now I got to get through Ghost Trick here, and then eventually come back to MGS1...fuck, man!"
No one complains about having to play through Ghost Trick, quite spreading your lies!

TheOGB

Banned
Happy Ressurrection Sunday

But I agree with the backlog sentiments, it is much easier when it doesn't seem like a chore. I'll go through Double Dragon Neon while it's still fresh
fuck you Curse of Skullmaggeddon
, continue experimenting with/getting ready for more Skullgirls, and play some other shit. What other shit? I dunno, I'll figure out when I get there.

Controversial statement time:

I think I like Melee's soundtrack a lot more than Brawl's.

Like, it's more consistent and stuff. There's a underlying "sound" to most of the songs. It's more memorable. I'm not sure that's because of the picks being a lot more obvious than a lot of Brawl's- or because of me having more nostalgia for Melee than Brawl- but I've just been listening to it a lot lately. Tracks like "Fountain of Dreams" and "Fire Emblem"... Brawl just doesn't have much like it. My favourite Brawl tracks are either just more ambitious pieces, like the Ocarina Medley, or they're tracks I don't recognise from other games, like "Butter Building".

Plus it has the DK Rap.

Oh, hey, I got Sonic 3D PC to run at 60FPS after all. Turns out it was what that "Motion Smoothing" option was. I was afraid it'd clumsily tween frames if you turn it on, but it appears that if you turn it off, instead if omits every other frame. Dumb.

Sciz

Not that weird. Melee's music was directed by Hirokazu Ando, who is the man when it comes to energetic, uptempo compositions, and it's also got the benefit of having a single sample set. Brawl's "throw the entire industry against the wall and see what sticks" approach to arrangement just can't compete against that sort of consistency.

Brawl's got plenty of great tracks thanks to the law of averages, but the hit:miss ratio is much worse.

edit: also, if you don't recognize Butter Building, go grab some form of Kirby's Adventure immediately

Not that weird. Melee's music was directed by Hirokazu Ando, who is the man when it comes to energetic, uptempo compositions, and it's also got the benefit of having a single sample set. Brawl's "throw the entire industry against the wall and see what sticks" approach to arrangement just can't compete against that sort of consistency.

Brawl's got plenty of great tracks thanks to the law of averages, but the hit:miss ratio is much worse.

Yeah, it's a lot more hit and miss. Brawl's kinda like that in general- there's no real style to it. Sakurai did his post-mortem talk at GDC '08 where he spoke a bit about the amount of thought that goes into making all these different characters fit in next to each other, having an aesthetic where Kirby can stand next to Solid Snake and it's not too weird, but it's a philosophy that I think should have been applied to the whole game. Melee had its own style that was separate from feeling too much like any one of the franchises it features, and Brawl... Brawl feels too formless, too clinical.

I hope Smash 4 returns to them have a defining style for the game.

Like, it's more consistent and stuff. There's a underlying "sound" to most of the songs. It's more memorable. I'm not sure that's because of the picks being a lot more obvious than a lot of Brawl's- or because of me having more nostalgia for Melee than Brawl- but I've just been listening to it a lot lately. Tracks like "Fountain of Dreams" and "Fire Emblem"... Brawl just doesn't have much like it. My favourite Brawl tracks are either just more ambitious pieces, like the Ocarina Medley, or they're tracks I don't recognise from other games, like "Butter Building".

Plus it has the DK Rap.

Not really that controversial, a lot of Melee's remixes have a generally higher sound quality and all work together with the orchestration angle, I think I prefer it myself, Brawl has a lot of good stuff for sure but it's got quantity over quality for the most part.

But Butter Building is one of its best, you've chosen well.

Well shit, this post looks like a low rent version of the Sciz post, it's the shitty friend of similar posts.

BHZ Mayor

Plus it has the DK Rap.
That's controversial? I agree. It helps that half of Melee's soundtrack isn't just variations of the main theme.

on the internet everything is controversial

The Kirby mixes had a lot of effort put into them. I think I like them all.

Always felt let down by the Zelda music, though. OoT Medley, Song of Storms and Tal Tal Heights were great, but the rest felt a bit... plain.

Brawl had more songs, but I always thought the production values of Mêlée's soundtrack seemed better. Compare "Green Greens" from Mêlée to the same track from Brawl; something about the latter seems more artificial than the former.
They redid all the melee tracks it would seem, with less quality though I did prefer the more organ happy Ice Climbers track.

For another comparision, the same track in both games but not a melee version this time.
Pokemon Main Theme Melee
Pokemon Main Theme Brawl
It's like night and day in quality, the angle for Brawl's remix starts differently but then transitions into sounding like a low budget version of the Melee mix.

And Brawl shit the bed with that DK selection, THREE VERSIONS OF DK ISLAND SWING! DK BARREL BLAST TRACK 1! All of my disappointment.

And because I know you all love it, this rocks my Delfino Plaza on a frequent basis.

I didn't much care for "Song of Storms", actually. It's so obviously a MIDI file being run through the cheapest synthesizer available (or worse, the one included with Windows) that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I do find myself attracted to the "Dark World" remix, although it's not really bombastic enough for me.

I do find myself attracted to the "Dark World" remix, although it's not really bombastic enough for me.

This always bugged me, Dark World Woods and Mountains got the treatment that i'd have liked the standard Dark World to have gotten.
Though the Brawl mix of Dark World does at least have a unique style, I did really like the condensed version of Hyrule Field (OoT), fortunately it skipped over the enemy encounter/death mountain eruption parts of the theme which really put a downer on listening to the original version.

Ooh yeah, Dark World was a great mix. Forgot about that one.

My Music was a great feature, though. Though I'd nearly always just set one song to 100% and put all the others at 0%. Just played the Molgera theme constantly on the Pirate Ship.

Mannnnnnn, fuck Brawl, I'm still salty about that game as a Falcon main

Keeping my expectations low until Sakurai/Namco-Bandai can get me to believe again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom