• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

xZEZH0G.gif
aw_2d_pack_ps3_uk_rgb1qkd2.jpg
PnASAQi.gif

IT WAS AMAZING

OH MY GOD

LTTP GOTY 2012​

You're welcome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks Noi! It was awesome playing it alongside you.

Probably one of the most amazing final bosses...probably ever.
Everything about it topped everything that came before it. I'm so glad I downloaded the DLC ending. It was amazing. Far better than I had imagined that it would be. The final boss arena was more than enough for me. I'm very pleased with how that turned out. I'm so glad with how everything turned out. Final DLC is very worth it.

Did I also mention that the game is beautiful? And that the soundtrack is good?

Why didn't I play this before?

AW is the tip of the spear in my campaign for recognizing interactive fiction as totally valid way to experience video games.

The best parts of that game are the narrative ones.

I never played the DLC...I was pissed they put the real ending behind a pay wall

The story was pretty interesting and the action crazy, but I could never shake the feeling of "why don't they just make an anime if the gameplay was gonna be this limited" All those repetitive rail shooter segments...

It did have my favorite line of dialog that perfectly summed up the hubris and tragedy at the core of the game and its gods

"When you live amongst the stars, you lose sight of what's happening on the ground"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yesssss, the music is great. Quite fond of the Yasha stuff, tbh.

dont know if anyone here will care, but SEGAbits and Sonic Retro are locking together. Lock-on technology!

aint no april fools joke either, 100% legit. Just decided to announce it today

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/03/31/segabits-sonic-sega-retro/
Oh, that Wiki should be really neat! Lookin' forward to it.

AW is the tip of the spear in my campaign for recognizing interactive fiction as totally valid way to experience video games.

The best parts of that game are the narrative ones.
Yeah, I'm normally not too fond of this sort of game design but after Asura's Wrath and Time Travelers, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of this sort of thing in video games. This is how interactive fiction should be done. It's incredibly engrossing, really. The narrative bits are my favourites too.

I love this game.

Noi

It's amusing to think of now, but I think Asura's Wrath serves as a perfect counterpoint for for the recent threads spawned by Bioshock's dissonance between narrative and gameplay. A game that didn't have to be a shooter to push forward it's narrative.

Of course, AW didn't sell that well while Bioshock will likely rake in all the money.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Too bad I can't really play Bioshock because it's in first person. :/

Have you played 999/VLR yet, Schala?
Yes, I did.

I'm not sure if I could categorize AW and TT in the same category as both of those games despite 999 using the DS to its advantage for storytelling purposes. Did VLR have that? I can't recall if it did...

For some reason, I feel more comfortable separating the games in different categories (ex: VLR/999 in the VN/puzzler category as opposed to AW/TT/Heavy Rain, etc. in the interactive fiction category). Though perhaps it's very silly to keep them separated at all since they mostly serve similar purposes with respect to storytelling in a video game.

I never played the DLC...I was pissed they put the real ending behind a pay wall

The story was pretty interesting and the action crazy, but I could never shake the feeling of "why don't they just make an anime if the gameplay was gonna be this limited" All those repetitive rail shooter segments...

I'm a fan of Asura's Wrath but I do agree on that last bit to an extent, it's a good game that could've been great if they fleshed out the fighting system a bit more, towards the back end when enemy segments start getting a bit long in the tooth I begin staring at that burst bar intently hoping it will fill up faster, and yes most rail shooting segments blow chunks.

Tizoc

I still say Asura's Wrath should've gotten a digital release at least in the West:
$45 for the Season Pass; get all eps.
$15 for Chapter 1, 2 and 3, then $10 for the extra chapters

I'm hoping EU PSN will have the DLC on sale soon.
Oh and Asura's Wrath DLC aren't 'disc lock' type since the size of each story DLC is like 1 GB on PSN @_@.

OMG Aero

xZEZH0G.gif
aw_2d_pack_ps3_uk_rgb1qkd2.jpg
PnASAQi.gif

IT WAS AMAZING

OH MY GOD

LTTP GOTY 2012​
XQ9Oj3w.gif

I see you that and raise you.
It did have my favorite line of dialog that perfectly summed up the hubris and tragedy at the core of the game and its gods

"When you live amongst the stars, you lose sight of what's happening on the ground"
This is the best dialogue.

Yo guys can we make this the Asura's Wrath Community thread instead? No-one cares about Sonic any more.

Sonic Dash basically exemplifies my experience with iOS gaming. They either give you for free or cheaply sell you a nothing game then hammer you with worthless items that you can purchase for absurd amounts of real money. The whole thing is a completely empty experience.

Tizoc

@Box of Bunnies-
Go grab Rayman Jungle Run and some iOS games made by some GAFfers.
EDIT: AND GET SILENT AGE (it's free IIRC).

He wants him to peacefully rest in pieces. What's so dumb about that?

How the heck was I supposed to know they mean 'Rest in pieces' in the first place?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, yes. My 3 in March got destroyed by Asura's Wrath yesterday, but I had neglected to mention that. So, for me, that's:
  • Time Travelers (Vita)
  • Asura's Wrath (PS3)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64/VC)
It's finals month, though. Hrm. I could finish off Mega Man Star Force and something short, I guess, for Two in April.

You guys are gonna make me want to get this game if you keep it up.
Have we ever been wrong?

I spent all my money on IAP stuff

now my internet is being turned off

Goodbye forever SonicGAF
Ah, I see that Sega's taking pointers from Square Enix and Capcom. How intelligent. Shrewd, even.

Too bad SE's offerings are super-light, Capcom's offerings are flippin' terrible, and Sonic Jump/Dash seem to be as inventive and fun as John Cena's rapping career.

http://i.imgur.com/XQ9Oj3w.gif[IMG][/quote]
When I finished that chapter off, I really wanted a wallpaper version of that. *nods* One of my favourite chapters in the game.

[quote="OMG Aero, post: 52246785"]Yo guys can we make this the Asura's Wrath Community thread instead? No-one cares about Sonic any more.[/QUOTE]
What else would we talk about outside of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRARAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"?

[quote="Sega1991, post: 52251138"][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftM5Na8K3U[/url]

Haha, City Escape in Sonic Unleashed.

[spoiler]The lighting looks better in Unleashed :P[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Oh, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I sincerely thought I was being the weird one because I liked how Unleashed looked overall, far more than Generations.

Dario ff

Banned
Oh, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I sincerely thought I was being the weird one because I liked how Unleashed looked overall, far more than Generations.

The focused specularity of Unleashed is better (the edges of some objects look very nice), and the DOF/Sonic's shading looks great. However, there's quite a drop in the overall "bumpiness" of most of the stuff, you can see the shading is very simplified on that aspect when compared to the one in Generations.

I have tried and tried to get the specularity looking like that in Generations, but no success. If I ever manage to do it, we would have the best of both worlds. (FxPipeline already does the bloom and better motion blur like Unleashed does, so that's a start)

Damn, I would have swore MSPA had that one all wrapped up
Nah, Season 3 of Pony caused a lot of broken base (not 100% sure why, seemed okay except for that finale), so that combined with the fanbase's presence in pretty much everything everywhere would lead to a compelling argument for worst.

What's Sonic done awfully, lately? Sonic Dash? Other than that you just have awful fanart and stuff, and the other fanbases have just as much.

yo man why is April's challenge only 2 games?

What's your opinion on it right now? Curious!

For one, I find the exploration part of the game is a bit more fun now. I keep coming across really cool parts of the level like in Stardust Speedway. The levels really do look pretty good at times and I really enjoy some of the look to them a bit more. The JP soundtrack, I kept it on for most of the time and found I loved more of the JP tracks to the American one but they're still both good. Still not a fan of the special stages though...=/

I think it is kinda close to the Genesis games in terms of quality but I'd have to think it over just a tad more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom