• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Climb Up And Get The Last Chance was in Brawl untouched, F-Zero had that going for it at least.

Giving the Bramble Blast remix a listen right now, hmm, this is actually really nice, it wasn't what I was expecting and it took me a while to warm to but it's a nice take on things, shame it's trapped on such an awful stage.
Side note, Sakuraba what are you doing? Well at least it differentiates itself from the millions of other versions. That and the bit near the end before it loops is actually pretty damn awesome.

Will I get shot if I say I haven't played Brawl or Melee before?

iGbVuKMsSgqrW.gif

Did I read that correctly

mods help

And now i'm stuck listening to Brawl's music, maybe the gap between Melee and Brawl's music is closer than I thought, Luigi's Mansion is some good stuff.
Okay i'll stop now, I could talk about Sonic's selection but it had only one actual remix and seven rings in hand so...yeah.

Not having played either is almost impressive in a strange way especially if you found the original neat as you say, did no one ever try to make you love the local multiplayer festivities by forcing a GC controller into your hands? why didn't they? those fiends!

And now i'm stuck listening to Brawl's music, maybe the gap between Melee and Brawl's music is closer than I thought, Luigi's Mansion is some good stuff.
Okay i'll stop now, I could talk about Sonic's selection but it had only one actual remix and seven rings in hand so...yeah.
Presumably he's gonna be in consideration from Day One this time around, so maybe we'll get more effort in terms of remixes?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh. Well, I played Smash 64. That should count, right?

I didn't play Melee because I didn't have a GameCube then, and my buddies were all into PC gaming at the time. I didn't play Smash because it was $60 here and I couldn't justify putting money down on it because I wasn't super-interested in it. It's just like how I haven't played Mario Kart DS outside of MP because I couldn't justify spending $45 on it.

Mind you, MK DS is still $45 here!

Dark Schala, did you grow up on a diet exclusively of JRPGs

That would explain your love of text
I played platformers, MUDs, adventure games, action games, and point-and-clicks too!

wait, some of those genres have a lot of text in them

Presumably he's gonna be in consideration from Day One this time around, so maybe we'll get more effort in terms of remixes?
I'd hope so, and some actual good song selections, too much of the vocal stuff in Brawl for one thing and I still find Scrap Brain Zone just a really odd choice in general.

I never played Smash 64 fwiw

Then you've never witnessed how much the crowd go bananas when you barely manage to return to the stage, SSB64 crowd are like WWE Attitude Era crowd compared to Brawl's sitting on hands Cena era style crowd.
I also has some really nice impact on attacks.

Incidentally, as far as hit sounds go, Mêlée had the best. I'm not sure which I preferred out of Brawl and 64, although I'm leaning to 64's changed-for-the-E-rating pinball sound effects over Brawl's weird wooshing noises.

Heropon

I really am not a fan of Brawl's theme, but it had more to do with how overused it was.

But thanks to that we got the fantastic Final Destination theme. I don't mind a theme being overused if I get things like that.

Edit: I should have posted a minute ago. :)

Quackula

Man I was soooooo hyped for melee. When I first saw those graphics I was like "HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SEE THE STITCHES ON MARIO'S OVERALLS THIS IS INCREDIBLE GAMES WILL NEVER LOOK BETTER THAN THIS."

That and Rogue Leader. I don't think I was ever blown away by graphics as much as I was during that N64 > Gamecube transition.

Man I was soooooo hyped for melee. When I first saw those graphics I was like "HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SEE THE STITCHES ON MARIO'S OVERALLS THIS IS INCREDIBLE GAMES WILL NEVER LOOK BETTER THAN THIS."

That and Rogue Leader. I don't think I was ever blown away by graphics as much as I was during that N64 > Gamecube transition.

I still remember the first match I played of Melee, on X-Mas 2001 with my brother. I was Fox, he was Mario, DK and Bowser as CPU, Corneia level. I distinctly remember pausing the game over and over again just to admire Fox's fur or all the details on Fox or the scales on Bowser(much to my brother's chargin, screwing up his timing). I was such a HUGE SF64 fan back in the day, so seeing Fox in all his glory blew my 11-year old mind

starfoxcomparebig.jpg

"Oooooh, so that's suppose to be a helmet he's wearing, whoa..."

The only other time I was as impressed was first playing Gears of War 1 back in X-Mas 2006. I really felt like Next-Gen had arrived.

I still remember the first match I played of Melee, on X-Mas 2001 with my brother. I was Fox, he was Mario, DK and Bowser as CPU, Corneia level. I distinctly remember pausing the game over and over again just to admire Fox's fur or all the details on Fox or the scales on Bowser(much to my brother's chargin, screwing up his timing). I was such a HUGE SF64 fan back in the day, so seeing Fox in all his glory blew my 11-year old mind

As much as I disliked the game, I really did admire the attention to detail that Rare gave Fox in Adventures. I remember trying to count the number of hairs on his head.

Quackula

Star Fox Adventures was the poor man's Zelda I played while waiting for Wind Waker.

I kinda liked it I think... not sure I'll ever actually go back to it though. I think most of my play-through made me wish I was playing either a real Zelda game or a real Star Fox game.

I got bored of Star Fox Adventures...tried to like it but couldn't. Star Fox Assualt was much better thankfully...I need to find a copy of that game again, I remember me and my brother beating that game when we were down in Austin for a wedding.

Nert

I agree that Melee's soundtrack is more consistently good, but Brawl has some good stuff. I really like the different take on Stickerbrush Symphony and Tabuu's music is memorable.

Also, I'm pretty salty right now about the Unleashed mod for Generations. I've had it crash on me multiple times now during the first level. I'll probably just uninstall it and then try again later.

TheOGB

Banned
Traveller's Tales really sucked before they got the LEGO gig.
FALSE
Yeh, they really didn't have much outside of this and I guess Toy Story, but I never played it :p

I've yet to complete the DLC for Asura's Wrath.

But.

Ho-lee shit.
I remember being in that position

Butter Building is so peaceful. I get so relaxed when it plays.
Probably my favorite track in all of Kirby-dom

I never played Smash 64 fwiw
Yiu2UdX.png

Then you've never witnessed how much the crowd go bananas when you barely manage to return to the stage, SSB64 crowd are like WWE Attitude Era crowd compared to Brawl's sitting on hands Cena era style crowd.
I also has some really nice impact on attacks.
PVlQz.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You played the DLC ending, right?

RIGHT
Yes, I did.

IT WAS AMAZING. I just... idfhoihgoishgoishgoiewhgewighewoihgoiw

No words at the moment. My brain is still processing it. Asura's Wrath is absolutely beautiful. And the QTEs are used in a good way. I was very very impressed with the game structure overall. That last episode... oh my god...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom