• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Before I forget
Dotemu.com has a sale on various SEGA Genesis games if anyone's interested. These should be DRM-free.

Tizoc

Fuck Metal Gear Rising.

This is gonna be my GotY all years.

Ahaha, also, man, I didn't know I'd have 2 things in the running for the LTTP: 2012 vote at all. Time Travelers is really good, but Asura's Wrath started to get up there.

Isn't Time Travelers a Japan only release?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah; I imported it after hearing from a few J-GAF members that it was good. And it is good (Exhibit A; Exhibit B, Exhibit C). As I said in the Whatcha Been Playin' threads (if you want to import it):

Not recommended for people who are just starting out at learning Japanese. A lot of the text can scroll fast, and while you have help with the pause button to give yourself a moment to read the furigana (if needed) or think about what a kanji means, but truly, sometimes you need to think fast and on your feet because sometimes there are timed decisions or QTEs. It's a lot like Tales of Xillia 2 in that regard where intermediate Japanese is required for decision-making.

Edit: I was also incredibly pleased with how the game looks as well as sounds. For example:

2013-03-17-061526uxp3k.jpg
2013-03-05-052544m9oxe.jpg

2013-02-16-03503823k2l.jpg
2013-02-19-1848430erru.jpg

2013-02-18-0144432ajah.jpg
2013-02-20-042245isksn.jpg

2012 felt like the Year of the Time Travelling Game for me. Tales of Xillia 2 (not so much time travel as it is dimensional travel), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (which took the theme and hacked it to bits), Time Travelers, Virtue's Last Reward, and Retro City Rampage. I guess Assassin's Creed 3 kinda counts, but that game was terrible.

Should probably move onto Zero no Kiseki: Evolution soon, tbh. I want to get all caught up so I can play Sen no Kiseki at the end of the year.

BlackJace

I should really consider Japanese one day. High school only offered Spanish, French, and Latin. I went with Spanish for three years. It's decently useful for real world application, but Japanese sounds even more useful, especially for someone who enjoys their games.

Thrift store visit.

SNES with SF2, MMX, DKC2, SRotJ, KI among others... Genesis with Gargoyles and Batman and Robin, among others... $120 and $100 respectively. And I can't just buy the games I want from those. I am being taunted :(

Oh well, if I save the money, I could just buy Earthbound instead...

So I started playing Final Fantasy IX earlier today and I'm a little over 2 hours in and I already love the game. The intro had to be one of the most enjoyable RPG intros I have played.

OMG Aero

I finally got round to finishing FF9 today after having a save at the last boss for months and really liked it.
I would have liked it way more if it didn't go off the fucking deep end near the end of disc 3 and into disc 4 though. It felt like they decided to just pull dungeons and bosses out of nowhere because they couldn't work out how to finish the game. At least the end of disc 3 had this sweet music and section though.
Also regarding the ending...
did Vivi die? ;__;

Finishing it made me feel like playing another Final Fantasy game, but I don't think there are any left for me. I really don't like the future style that every other 3D Final Fantasy game has but I don't want to go back and play any of the sprite based ones.
I should probably just get around to finishing Xenoblade. I think I last saved right at the end of that game too, that really does seem to be a habit of mine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good Lord, can this Easter vigil drag on any longer? Over an hour and we haven't even hit the Gospel!
Aha, my dad went (I usually go, but I have to help out around here). I told him I'd go with him to Easter Mass instead. Bought a new dress for it and everything. I honestly prefer going to the Vigils just because there are way less people than there are at the Easter Mass.

BlackJace said:
I should really consider Japanese one day. High school only offered Spanish, French, and Latin. I went with Spanish for three years. It's decently useful for real world application, but Japanese sounds even more useful, especially for someone who enjoys their games.
I took French and Latin in formal classes, and because I took Latin, I could probably decipher more Romance languages since they're written similarly (also probably helps that I tried my hand at Occitan and a few Langue d'oc/Langue d'oïl stuff). I do think knowing Romance languages is incredibly beneficial, though. As is knowing a buncha Germanic languages (I did attempt to try my hand at German, but all I did was buy a book and stopped at Chapter 2. I always wanted to learn Dutch as well. :x)

As for Japanese, well, if you want to import stuff, yes, it is useful. I feel like you can learn kana very easily on your own since they're essentially CV sounds and there isn't a super-huge chart for you to learn. It's truly the kanji that gets you... because there's so much of it.

OMG Aero said:
Finishing it made me feel like playing another Final Fantasy game, but I don't think there are any left for me. I really don't like the future style that every other 3D Final Fantasy game has but I don't want to go back and play any of the sprite based ones.
Yeah... Unless you want to play Final Fantasy XI or Final Fantasy XII (which is not as whimsical as FFIX, unfortunately), I don't think there are any other FFs in that vein for you. I'm of the opinion that the story falls off a cliff at the end of Disc 3 as well; I don't like how that turned out at all. Still, super-glad ya liked it. It's probably what I think Final Fantasy should aspire to... or at least, it epitomizes what Final Fantasy is to me.

Lightning Lord said:
So I started playing Final Fantasy IX earlier today and I'm a little over 2 hours in and I already love the game. The intro had to be one of the most enjoyable RPG intros I have played.
I told you, man. I told you.

Two hours, now. Just reached communion. They're really doing their best to pad this out; so many songs, singing more verses in songs usually sung... I hate it. Can I believe in Jesus without the lengthy ceremony?

It's my brother's confirmation, though, so I was obligated to attend... Come to think of it, that SNES might make a decent present for him, seeing as he's expressed interest in one. Maybe if it's still there tomorrow...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Two hours, now. Just reached communion. They're really doing their best to pad this out; so many songs, singing more verses in songs usually sung... I hate it. Can I believe in Jesus without the lengthy ceremony?

It's my brother's confirmation, though, so I was obligated to attend... Come to think of it, that SNES might make a decent present for him, seeing as he's expressed interest in one. Maybe if it's still there tomorrow...
Eh? Ours are only two hours or sometimes under that. We do the confirmation/baptism stuff too, but it's usually short, lol. I understand whatcha mean, though; not a lot of people like the long ceremony (heck, being long would put people off). Honestly, when I used to participate in choir and helped manage the music for our church ceremonies, the time went faster because I knew what was coming up and what wasn't. Plus you had something to do as opposed to just sitting there and being bored (depending on the person giving the sermon).

You should probably go for the SNES. It seems worth it to me!

Eh? Ours are only two hours or sometimes under that. We do the confirmation/baptism stuff too, but it's usually short, lol. I understand whatcha mean, though; not a lot of people like the long ceremony (heck, being long would put people off). Honestly, when I used to participate in choir and helped manage the music for our church ceremonies, the time went faster because I knew what was coming up and what wasn't. Plus you had something to do as opposed to just sitting there and being bored (depending on the person giving the sermon).

You should probably go for the SNES. It seems worth it to me!
The only thing that held me back from getting it is, well, I already have a SNES... I don't need two! I just want some of the games in that bundle, and I could do that cheaper on eBay :I

And the Genesis would be my third, which is why I know I don't need two SNESes :p

We've just rolled over to April here and while I wasn't officially taking part in 3 for March I actually managed to finish off 9 games last month (though a couple were carry-overs from the previous month/year). The problem is that, well, it kinda speaks for itself...

9r5zfpD.png

Tizoc

We've just rolled over to April here and while I wasn't officially taking part in 3 for March I actually managed to finish off 9 games last month (though a couple were carry-overs from the previous month/year). The problem is that, well, it kinda speaks for itself...

9r5zfpD.png

Yeah these kind of threads have helped in me finishing my backlog.
Currently working on:
Two Worlds II
Papo and Yo
Ni no Kuni

After that:
Tomb Raider
Deus EX HR
Hokuto Musou 2
Dark Souls

Oh and seeing that the iOS ver. of Sonic 1 will be updated with the Taxman ver., wonder if the same'll happen to, at least, the PSN ver.

I don't do backlogs, since A) I don't do RPGs, so that cuts down on the 40+ hour adventures of anime teens fighting nonsensical monsters and being melodramatic and B) I never buy anything I don't intend to play right away. I usually focus on one game, until I've had my fill or it's too boring to keep going, then move on.

Backlog seems like some first world problem shit. Makes video games seems like a chore. "Ugh, now I got to get through Ghost Trick here, and then eventually come back to MGS1...fuck, man!"

9r5zfpD.png

Wow, where did you find that release schedule for online games? That's insanely handy...

Edit: Sorry, ignore my ramblings, just realised that's from the backlog thread haha! It's Sunday and I've had too much choc..

Makes video games seems like a chore. "Ugh, now I got to get through Ghost Trick here, and then eventually come back to MGS1...fuck, man!"

Yeah, which is why I don't approach my backlog that way. I use Backloggery to catalogue the games I own more than anything. There's no sense of obligation or "I need to do this", I'll play them when I'm ready to, and by buying them once they reach a price I'm happy to pay or while they're still available, even if I'm not ready to dive in just yet I avoid having to deal with inflated prices and secondary market shit later on.

Also provides a nice library to fall back on in lulls of new releases.

Tizoc

Backlog seems like some first world problem shit. Makes video games seems like a chore. "Ugh, now I got to get through Ghost Trick here, and then eventually come back to MGS1...fuck, man!"

I don't worry about backlogs anymore now that I'm blasting through them, even though I have like 100+ PC games yet to play lol.

Emitan

I don't worry too much. I bought Radiant Historia because I knew it would be rare (and it turned out to be before a second printing!). Still haven't cracked it open yet but I just haven't been in the mood.

qq more

I've been slowing down considerably with buying games so I'll be able to breeze through my backlog. I'm pretty much just restricting myself to buying one game a month. MonHun is next month!

STOP GIVING/SUGGESTING ME A BILLION OF GAMES, EVERYONE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom