• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And here I thought Bean was spoiling me yesterday when he was talking about some of that. Good to know that it's part of the preview stuff. So darned hyped for this.

Speaking of which, StH #247 should be out this Wednesday.

...never got a game over in it and I am glad I did not.

Wait, this is a thing? I should've known!
Yeah. Not something I like to indulge in often because I don't want to gain weight.

Example 1, Example 2

..wait, didn't we have a discussion in the chat about dessert pizzas already? I remember brining up breakfast pizzas and Schala sarted getting nauseous.
Oh well. Not everyone goes there anyway. *shrug*

I really like that jumbo-sized Reese's egg. When you think about it, it isn't so much of an egg as it is a giant wad of peanut butter coated with chocolate.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dislike going to the dentist. Can't stand it.

Dental hygienists are alright, though.

Edit: Mini Eggs are so good, you guys. So good.

How do you think your dentist feels, digging into your filthy mouth with germs that would make the Aids virus squirm?

At least they don't use the epidermal tissue destructor.

Getting the week of when everybody else I knew was off last week suuuucks. I might as well just go into work tomorrow, since I don't have much else to do during the day.

There's a ton of leftover Easter candy around here, but I don't think I'm even going to bother.

Lucas Arts you say? I have fond memories of the phantom menace video game.
"isn't there a vast deadly waterfall at the end of this river?"
"Why don't you jump in and find out?"
And jump in I did, by the way there was indeed a vast deadly waterfall.

And you could live out everyone's dream of playing as Captain Panaka, trading electro binoculars for republic credits and spin kicking dudes in the face...
Yeah my Lucas Arts memories aren't that great.

Sciz

I'd mourn, but they laid off what was left of their heart and soul a decade ago and the president who actually cared about bringing that back couldn't escape the revolving door of his office.

id Software is next of these gaming relics to put down, whose claim to fame was PC Gaming in the 90s.

And I don't think John Carmack will care that much as long as he ends up somewhere he can keep working on interesting tech.

id Software is next of these gaming relics to put down, whose claim to fame was PC Gaming in the 90s.

And I don't think John Carmack will care that much as long as he ends up somewhere he can keep working on interesting tech.
And going by that one article, it might happen sooner than later.

A shame, but really, Carmack's pretty much literally the only holdover from when id's games were at their peak (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake).

Yes. He is you. You two will do battle later.

Noi

Lucas Arts you say? I have fond memories of the phantom menace video game.
"isn't there a vast deadly waterfall at the end of this river?"
"Why don't you jump in and find out?"
And jump in I did, by the way there was indeed a vast deadly waterfall.

And you could live out everyone's dream of playing as Captain Panaka, trading electro binoculars for republic credits and spin kicking dudes in the face...
Yeah my Lucas Arts memories aren't that great.

Guilty pleasure game. I know I played through that multiple times just for kicks.

qq more

Zombie Ate My Neighbors was fucking awesome. I used to play it with my babysitter as a babby. I should look into buying a new copy since I long lost mines...

By the way, it sounds like upcoming 3DS games are going to be 35 dollars... new standard price? I hope so! 40 was ridiculous.

And going by that one article, it might happen sooner than later.

A shame, but really, Carmack's pretty much literally the only holdover from when id's games were at their peak (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake).

Much in the same way a lot of the talent from those 90s LucasArts days are gone(Gilbert, Schafer, Kilham/Holland, Barwood, etc). A shell of their former selves, it'd be a mercy killing

and I'd still be sad :(

Tizoc

OK OT looks good from what I've previewed, Schala. I'll resize some of the images for now and test it again =3
OK I'll have it up by tomorrow, since I was busy with other stuff today ^_^;

Tizoc

Please do excuse the double post.
I'd say the OT is fine, Schala just needs one or two additions, and I'll have it posted tomorrow once I get back from work or before going to bed ^_^;

worldscollide_banner_3zqx0.png

Presented by Sciz, Tizoc, Dark Schala & Bean

Introduction:

“Worlds Collide” is a 12-part comic book crossover event between Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic series.

Okay, for those of you still with us, this is really exciting, and I say that without a trace of sarcasm. Fans have drawn parallels between the two series for years:
  • Both feature evil roboticists trying to take over the world
  • Both have similarly clichéd supporting casts (the loyal canine companion, the dark double, the sometimes friendly rival, the requisite supportive girl)
  • Both have a legacy of great music and wildly variable quality
  • The heroes both share some color of the spectrum or something
  • In recent years, they also both have series coming out of Archie Comics, the independent publisher that just won't die.

But that'd all be so much cruft if the comics were rubbish. No, what makes this exciting is that it represents a crossover between not just the two franchises, but between three of the best comic books running today (Sonic has two). They're nonstop character-driven fun, full of color and lighthearted comedy even as they weave in action and drama. And like all great kid-friendly media, they're littered with gags for the older fans while never talking down to the actual target audience. Being sourced from beloved video game franchises just makes them that much better.

Here's the rundown on what you're getting into:​

The Blue Blur

worldscollide_sonic_bkuym0.png

Nope. I distinctly remember the Sonic comic being as bad as the games. Worse.

And there was a time when you were right, when the series' standards let plots through like "Sonic goes to high school, no really", "Knuckles' extended family goes through vaguely sociopolitical relationship drama", and "let's spend a year showing off the future where everyone has kids and nothing of interest happens because the writer forgot that plots require conflict". Then that writer got canned, ironically right around the time Sega was busy releasing Sonic '06; and Our Lord and Savior Ian Flynn was brought in and promptly spent the next two years cleaning up the last guy's mess. Ian's an ascended fan (as is most of the art staff these days), and while he's not without his own foibles, he understands what makes the series tick and what makes for good storytelling in general. It also helps that he revels in dredging up stuff like the Battle Bird Armada and the scrapped band from Sonic 1's sound test as opposed to inventing loads of new faces.

These days the comic is the fun and engaging series described earlier, where the setting occasionally hits up places from the games and even Shadow and Silver are genuinely good characters. No, seriously. That's why the Sonic Universe spinoff book even exists. All the other characters that everyone hate in the games got their own book where Sonic barely even shows up because they're written well enough to carry it on their own.

But isn't it still based on the old cartoon with Freedom Fighters and stuff?

Sort of. At this point it's an amalgam of characters, ideas, and locations from the cartoon, the stuff worth salvaging from prior years of the comic, and just about anyone and anything you can think of from the games. It's weird, but it works.

For the purpose of Worlds Collide, it doesn't matter, because the crossover features game characters only. You don't have to care what a “Mobotropolis” is or why the creepy chimera wizard-king is evil (It makes sense in context).​

The Blue Bomber

worldscollide_megamanixab2.png

There's a Mega Man comic?

There is! It's only got two years behind it compared to Sonic's twenty, but it's the only place where the franchise is still alive with its dignity intact. Ian Flynn pulls writing duties here as well, and consequently the series has a lot in common with his work on Sonic with respect to tone and humor. Unlike Sonic, though, Mega Man is religiously devoted to the games as source material. That isn't to say that it's a slave to the numbered titles; Ian happily pulls in characters from Battle & Chase and Rockman Gold Empire while adapting elements of Super Adventure Rockman in the background. But the original characters and concepts introduced thus far supplement the games rather than supplanting them.

After a breakneck first year that tore through Mega Man 1, Powered Up, and Mega Man 2 in succession, the series has since slowed down and started really digging into the characters and narrative that begin to crop up around Mega Man 3. It's spent the second year casually juggling heartrending tales (Proto Man's tragic origins) with goofy side stories (the budding rivalry between Guts Man and Concrete Man) and high action (a terrorist attack at a robotics convention); all while slowly building a serious conversation about the role of advanced robotics and artificial intelligence in society. It’s really truly excellent stuff.

It's strictly a Classic series affair so far, but the creative staff have repeatedly said they'd love to take on some of the other subseries if there's enough fan support.​

...and just to give a taste of what the comic features:

Video previews of each issue of Mega Man released so far (courtesy of Bean) are here. Check them out since they’re edited very well and offer an excellent insight into what the comics are like. Just click the picture! (or click here!)

More specifically, it has:

Nods to the fanbase
iqE7m22s8D44R.jpg

Bros
ibrDRFbFIAL6uQ.jpg

is7wVpGrb9QpW.jpg

Woodman being a boss
ibbXsvsHQ5CrTs.jpg

Headshots
ibkQrXHOYJq24M.jpg

Hyadain
iYOUUqdHShMX0.jpg

Scientific Mysteries
jBgrqV2.jpg
[/quote]

And so we return to the main event: a four-month crossover extravaganza from April to August that spans across Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man. Sonic's about to meet a whole bunch of robots he can't just bop, Drs. Wily and Eggman are about to discover the joy of having a B.F.F., and somehow our azure heroes are going to have to get along long enough to deal with the machinations of the newly-minted Evil Friends Forever before both worlds fall to their robot army.

SonicGAF's been looking forward to it for months, as has MegaGAF (disclaimer: MegaGAF is mostly comprised of SonicGAF), and we hope you'll be along for the ride.

The schedule is as follows (all dates represent comic shop availability):​

Prologue:

Part 0 - Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 (May 4th; contains pages from Sonic #247 & Mega Man #23, though neither issue has much to do with the crossover.)​

Act One: Kindred Spirits:

Part 1 - Mega Man #24 - April 10th
Part 2 - Sonic Universe #51 - April 17th
Part 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog #248 - May 1st
Part 4 - Mega Man #25 - May 8th​

Arc Two: Into the Warzone

Part 5 - Sonic Universe #52 - May 15th
Part 6 - Sonic the Hedgehog #249 - May 29th
Part 7 - Mega Man #26 - June 12th
Part 8 - Sonic Universe #53 - June 19th​

Arc Three: Chaos Clash

Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog #250 - July 3rd
Part 10 - Mega Man #27 - July 10th
Part 11 - Sonic Universe #54 - July XXth
Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog #251 - August XXth​

The crossover arc issues can be purchased digitally from websites such as Comixology, or if you prefer mobile, Archie's own iOS/Android comics app. If you're old enough to remember what print is, hit up your local comic shop or check out any surviving newsstands and major bookstores. If you're after variant covers, comic shops are the way to go.

If you want to catch up on the series in general (ie: not as part of this comic crossover) and be up to date with it, you've also got options:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Back issue availability is a bit scattershot, to say the least. Ian's run begins with #160, but the trade paperback reprints are only up to #82. A more recent reprint line, "Sonic Saga", picks up at #162, but the two available volumes only run through #172. Most everything from #211 on is available digitally, however.
  • Sonic Universe: TPB volumes only cover up to #16 at the moment, but the whole series is available digitally.
  • Mega Man: Issue #1-16 are available across four TPB volumes, with volume 5 due out in May. Again, the whole series is available digitally.

Covers:

Variant Covers:

OMG Aero

When are you actually going to post that thread instead of just posting it here over and over again?

You know no-one reads the OT past the first page anyway right?

qq more

I still say it should be alliterative... "Blue Blur & Bomber, BFFs" or something.

Different server.
Didn't stop me from doing that!

Okay actually it sort of did. Laziness yay

When are you actually going to post that thread instead of just posting it here over and over again?

How rude!

The OT looks great by the way.

Tizoc

Tuesday should the remaining images get ready.
Now that I think about it I should've PMed Schala about it instead, ^_^;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uh, yeah, I needed to fix the code for that and edit some of the resized pics in. Sorry, but I've been really tired and swamped over the past few days to actually insert new links into the code.

I have no idea how your code got broken in that post, Tizoc, because if you c/p'd it from the google doc, the quotes code (which is absolutely needed for some of those pics for better formatting), and all of the indent codes I added are broken in that post. I'll fix it again, but I thought it was nicely formatted before outside of the pics that needed to be resized (and I know Sciz would want to enhance the colour for some of them.

Keeping those images in quote tags is much better than how they're formatted up there. It's less sloppy, and the indent code would still be intact. As it is, the formatting and indenting needs to be changed and/or edited back into your post. The stuff from the Mega Man comic is too big at the moment, so I'll add my resized images when I get a minute after I eat.

I also need to add some spaces between the headers and possibly some underlining. I'll edit my original post to do so.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I edited my old post with some of the changes I made to the OP. Sciz can take it from here, and I'll edit what he adds back in.

And happy birthday, Shadow Hog and Nert!

Hey look I am making videogames you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xfCALPMYKU

Videogames that don't involve Sonic
I had a few suggestions, but I'll let you know tomorrow when I'm not tired as hell. Otherwise, I reeeeeally like the second one. The aesthetic of it.

ViewtifulJC said:
Getting up to Dark Schala ancient status

RIP soon, birthday man
Both Beef and Sega1991 are older than I am. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom