• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

...man Sonic Team really need to give us some new soon, this thread hasn't been on topic for ages, even the comic posts seemed more geared towards Mega Man.

I almost wrote a lengthy post about why I'm enjoying Etrian Odyssey IV before reminding myself that this is technically the Sonic thread.

ShadiWulf

...man Sonic Team really need to give us some new soon, this thread hasn't been on topic for ages, even the comic posts seemed more geared towards Mega Man.

It's not Sonic Team. They have no trouble giving out news on PSO2. It's SEGA West. There is something seriously wrong at SEGA West, they have been quiet on everything. Won't tell anyone anything. Since Sonic sells best in the West, SEGA West is in control of the game PR, rather then SEGA Japan.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with SEGA West, it's really sickening how they have spent all their money on promoting aliens colonial marines and nothing else... lol. They pretend PSO2 doesn't exist.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish I were better-versed in my Pokemon lore to participate.

ShadiWulf said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with SEGA West, it's really sickening how they have spent all their money on promoting aliens colonial marines and nothing else... lol. They pretend PSO2 doesn't exist.
I wish they wouldn't. I want to know more about whether or not they're going to bring over the Vita version.

Tizoc

I wouldn't be surprised if Aliens CM was among their top selling titles, but hopefully SEGA learned from this debacle.
I also expect PSO2 to be announced during E3.

OMG Aero

Whether I like the new Pokemon or not depends entirely on its name.
If it is called Mewthree then it is the worst. If it isn't then it's okay.

Tizoc

Right so stuff I should do during these next 2 off days I have:
Watch Doctor Who
Finish up Ni no Kuni
Play some more Deus Ex HR
Work towards that last trophy in Papo and Yo
Re-read issues of Sonic comic from before til after Genesis story arc

Thing about Ni no Kuni is that the post game is gonna be a long grind and luck towards some trophies =_=

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish I could finish Ni no Kuni. Lordy, I think I'm starting to abhor that game. I didn't mention it, but I did try to play it earlier this week, and I just can't do it. All the style in the world cannot make up for the lack of substance that game offers. It just kind of kills me that ... well, no, I'll refrain from giving my opinion about that game and its mechanics (or lack thereof) on GAF. One thing I will be blunt and say, though: That game makes me feel so fucking bored. It's like a cure for insomnia.

I should start Fortune Street. Actually I don't think I can sleep since several things are weighing on my mind, so I think I'll start it now.

EDIT: You know... Fortune Street ain't that bad... The DQ stuff is making me nostalgia hard.

Someone recommend me a RPG!
For which system(s)? And what type of RPG are you interested in?

I almost wrote a lengthy post about why I'm enjoying Etrian Odyssey IV before reminding myself that this is technically the Sonic thread.
I'm sure no one here would've minded, not a game that looks up my alley but who knows?

It's not Sonic Team. They have no trouble giving out news on PSO2. It's SEGA West. There is something seriously wrong at SEGA West, they have been quiet on everything. Won't tell anyone anything. Since Sonic sells best in the West, SEGA West is in control of the game PR, rather then SEGA Japan.

Interesting, now you mention it Sega have been pretty mute across the board, i'd also forgotten that PSO2 was a thing so there we go.

I wish I were better-versed in my Pokemon lore to participate.
Am I too assume the series battling system is too simple for your tastes?

I wish I could finish Ni no Kuni. Lordy, I think I'm starting to abhor that game. I didn't mention it, but I did try to play it earlier this week, and I just can't do it. All the style in the world cannot make up for the lack of substance that game offers. It just kind of kills me that ... well, no, I'll refrain from giving my opinion about that game and its mechanics (or lack thereof) on GAF.

I should start Fortune Street. Actually I don't think I can sleep since several things are weighing on my mind, so I think I'll start it now.
I saw various segments of that game at last when my friend picked it up last month, not really sure what I think of it but the battle system did look a bit messy and occasionally random but what do I know? I thought it looked fun enough but couldn't see myself playing through it all myself.
It kills you that...? that it's SAVIOUR OF THE JRPG 2! I know this has to be the answer.

Actually the same guy who had Ni no Kuni has always considered Fortune Street (oddly named Boom Street here because of NoE's insatiable desire to modify names) on the cheap for multiplayer, alas the game has never been seen for cheap.

Tizoc

I may sell off Sly 4...it's really dragging on me and my other hobby demands attention from my wallet now.

Someone recommend me a RPG!

At least platinum it first!
Honestly I took my time to beat Sly 4 when I got it during February, still gotta get the Platinum tho lol.
...but good gravy at the size, seriously Sony get them GBs trimmed already!

As for RPGs, I recommend:
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes
Mario and Luigi series
Deus Ex HR (well technically it has RPG elements >_>; )

I wish I could finish Ni no Kuni. Lordy, I think I'm starting to abhor that game. I didn't mention it, but I did try to play it earlier this week, and I just can't do it. All the style in the world cannot make up for the lack of substance that game offers. It just kind of kills me that ... well, no, I'll refrain from giving my opinion about that game and its mechanics (or lack thereof) on GAF. One thing I will be blunt and say, though: That game makes me feel so fucking bored. It's like a cure for insomnia.

EDIT: You know... Fortune Street ain't that bad... The DQ stuff is making me nostalgia hard.

For which system(s)? And what type of RPG are you interested in?

lol, Ni no Kuni's my GotY contender, but you gotta go into it like you would a ye olde PSX/SNES era jRPG. It's a game you just gotta take your time with. I mean heck I enjoy FF9 despite how slow it is, so maybe that's why I'm a-OK with NnK.
To me it's a well done jRPG with a simple battle system. Bonus points for the colorful worlds and setting.

On a basic running through single player level it's basically super duper rock paper scissors, now competitively it's a different story entirely but requires like another 50 hours of prep time.

OK, that I can agree with.

Just making sure you were talking the wrong kind of shit

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Am I too assume the series battling system is too simple for your tastes?
No; I just try to beat the main game quickly (like, I bought White and didn't mind it), and I really don't know all of the stuff about Pokemon lists and stats to participate well in. Honestly, I'm more versed in Gen I and II stuff, but that ain't good enough for some people.

Honestly, I try out everything. Even garbage that I would never advise other people to play.

I saw various segments of that game at last when my friend picked it up last month, not really sure what I think of it but the battle system did look a bit messy and occasionally random but what do I know? I thought it looked fun enough but couldn't see myself playing through it all myself.
It kills you that...? that it's SAVIOUR OF THE JRPG 2! I know this has to be the answer.

Actually the same guy who had Ni no Kuni has always considered Fortune Street (oddly named Boom Street here because of NoE's insatiable desire to modify names) on the cheap for multiplayer, alas the game has never been seen for cheap.
Yes, it was extremely hard to find a copy of Fortune Street here, actually. I had to go to several stores, even. But it's not so bad.

I know I should go to bed, but I can't bring myself to sleep now. I've got some bad feels that need to go away and they aren't.

As for Ni no Kuni... no, you're right about the battle system. And as for the second bit, no, that's not entirely accurate (however it is truly part of it). I did comment on it in a few threads but I've only spoken bluntly and at length about my impressions of the game to maybe two or three people on GAF because I do admit that I am in a very small minority with respect to disliking that game. (I actually wrote out a longer post than this but decided to edit the whole thing out because it looked inarticulate and poorly-structured).

All of the artwork and music cannot save this game from being poorly structured and from having poor mechanics to begin with. It is one of Level-5's better RPGs, but if this is what they have to offer to me, then that is not saying much. They should really go into visual novels or interactive games because aesthetics, scene direction, and sound direction are what they excel at. Not game mechanics, nor game pacing or structure. Better games than this have been released this generation on that particular console.

I truly abhor that game. Truly. A few people have told me that they're flabbergasted with how that game was received, and while I am feeling a bit similarly, I kind of understand why people like it. However, this sort of old-style game has been done far more competently this generation on other systems. I just can't stand how the thing is designed, structured, and paced at all. I've played much better, and those other games do not put me to sleep.

I am not going to lower my standards of what I think good RPG mechanics' design should be because something looks and sounds pretty. That would be shallow.

Regular RPG's for the PS3, GBA or PS2 will be considered. Just no strategy ones, I'm not a fan.
Uh. Okay. I'll be taking some stuff from this very old and outdated list of mine that is missing a ton of stuff I've played, so if you have any questions about anything else on that list, just ask. (And yes, I have played Destiny R, Destiny, and Destiny 2 since then, dang that list is totally incomplete). And LOL at: "Might go back to Hyperdimension Neptunia when I finish off Nier." Oh boy. I hate Neptunia 1. Neptunia 2, though, is really good mechanics-wise; but storywise, it's completely garbage.

PS2

Digital Devil Saga & Digital Devil Saga 2 - Regardless of the fact that these are two of the easier MegaTen games to get involved with, they are also two of the more intriguing ones. I usually like tying this series together with Xenosaga (despite really disliking Xenosaga) because they're multipart games, and because they tie into religion quite a bit (DDS = Hinduism ; Xenosaga = Gnosticism). The mechanics are well and easy to understand, the voice acting is top-notch, and to me, it's one of the better-looking games on the PS2. Give it a shot, and please listen to the awesome Meguro soundtrack. DDS and DDS2 are perhaps his strongest soundtracks on the platform.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant - If you can, get the Japanese director's cut. It has more stuff. However, the English version is really good, and the characterization is a little better than its predecessor Shadow Hearts (though I tend to prefer Shadow Hearts 1 over SH2 and SH3 in terms of the narrative and tone). This is where the gameplay is ramped up and the battle system is changed to include a better and less slippery Judgement Ring, the ability to combo attacks with other party members, the ability to customize attacks in a round (ie: knock back, knock down, hit up, and regular), and to customize your magic skills in order to create an elemental final attack with your party members. The music is pretty awesome (Hirota, Mitsuda and a few others worked on it much like the last game's soundtrack), and the scene direction is very good. I love alternate history games, so give this one a shot.

Heck, I'd throw in From the New World since I loved that one too. The gameplay in FtNW is excellent, and the soundtrack is soooo goooooood.

GBA

Golden Sun/Golden Sun: The Lost Age: Yes, the games are extremely verbose, and yes, they are by the same people who brought us the terrible Beyond the Beyond game on PS1, but they're much better structured and the characterization in these games are better. Sakuraba also composed better music for them. The summon animations also kick-ass.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: I... I don't think I need to go into this, really.

PS3

(Now this is where it gets hard)

Resonance of Fate: Resonance of Fate kind of looks hard at first, but after you get a hang of Hero Attacks, it becomes a huge piece of cake. The game's overarching narrative isn't super-apparent to the player at first, and it mostly concentrates on these three people who just set out to do jobs for other people in the city. The soundtrack is by Sakuraba and Tanaka, and Tanaka's stuff really shines over Sakuraba's (like, there's a huge reason why I ordered the darn soundtrack). But you should be in this for the Nolan North cutscene where he talks about raisins.

Also, take a look at this old post of mine from when I'd recently joined GAF.

I still like to recommend Tales of Graces f even though GAF seems to genuinely dislike that game. There's a reason why I own three copies of the darn thing; it's bloody-well fun to play, and it's one of my favourite battle systems in the entire series next to Rebirth and Destiny R. Nothing has surpassed these systems yet.

OH.

Nier. I know it's not for everyone, and heck, it's probably the last game I would ever recommend to anyone because it's a love-it-or-hate-it game, but I needed a second game to recommend so I chose this. I know it switches it up most of the time, but oh lord, that's why I love that game so much. I wasn't digging it myself for a while until I hit one point in the game that made me cry and cry. The combat isn't anything to write home about, it's not that hard, and the game isn't very pretty at all. But I can say that the writing, the soundtrack, the minigames, the quests, the pacing, the magic system and combat with respect to utilizing magic, and the game flow works very much in the game's favour.

Tizoc

What do you mean by 'structure', Schala?
I personally liked the pregression in Ni no Kuni, even if it was very linear (then again I find FF to be linear while offering distractions to the main plot).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, Ni no Kuni's my GotY contender, but you gotta go into it like you would a ye olde PSX/SNES era jRPG. It's a game you just gotta take your time with. I mean heck I enjoy FF9 despite how slow it is, so maybe that's why I'm a-OK with NnK.
To me it's a well done jRPG with a simple battle system. Bonus points for the colorful worlds and setting.
That's fine. Nothing wrong with you liking it.

With respect to the bolded, however, I do that for other games of this nature, and Ni no Kuni only measures up to older RPGs in terms of narrative tone. Older RPGs have better structure, pacing, design, and mechanics than this game does.

For example, Sora no Kiseki did this sort of throwback thing correctly (Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd, which I'd played in January and had fallen in love with, is a testament that I still do like RPGs so it's definitely not me). Half-Minute Hero does that "run into enemies to hurt them" thing that Ys used to do, and I'm perfectly fine with that game because I genuinely love that game. In 2011, I'd played Emerald Dragon, an old SFC game that relies on character positioning and rationing your moves in a round, and I was still satisfied with it.

Putting myself in the mindset of the era from which the game seems to have come from is not an issue. Having to deal with mechanics, game design, and pacing that I dislike is another matter entirely.

What do you mean by 'structure', Schala?
I personally liked the pregression in Ni no Kuni, even if it was very linear (then again I find FF to be linear while offering distractions to the main plot).
This has nothing to do with linearity or openness.

This relates a lot to when the game decides it's the right time to give you a menu option or to allow you to utilize certain features of the battle system that you could have used hours earlier. This relates a lot to how the game allows you to complete quests with field spells (ie: wait for the damn game to prompt you as opposed to just casting the spell yourself). This relates to how some field spells work (ex: Nature's Tongue should only be cast once in an area, not every time you talk to a damn animal like in that crab cave; some timed spells should not be timed at all). This relates to the quest structure essentially being quests for the sake of quests (ex: this dude feels bad so we put him in here for you to cast Give Heart for reasons, or fight X of these things, or go get X amount of these; I'm very sick of it). This relates to some things feeling like filler when I should just be moving on (and the game isn't even that long).

There are even more things I could say, but plain and simple, the game suffers from some very poor structure and very poor game design. Like I said, though, I'm in a very small minority who feel that way, but since other people feel similar to me, I don't think it's just my imagination at all. Other games that basically act as "throwback" games have done this sort of formula better.

OK, that I can agree with.

Just making sure you were talking the wrong kind of shit
I would never spread such lies, the hidden depth is pretty staggering considering how basic it is on a surface level as well as arguably too hidden and a pain to tackle for its own good but that's another story.

No; I just try to beat the main game quickly (like, I bought White and didn't mind it), and I really don't know all of the stuff about Pokemon lists and stats to participate well in. Honestly, I'm more versed in Gen I and II stuff, but that ain't good enough for some people.
I'm getting worse at my guesses, but you don't really need to know about stats and such, at least I don't.

I know I should go to bed, but I can't bring myself to sleep now. I've got some bad feels that need to go away and they aren't.
I've had the bundle of nerves thing over the past 3 nights due to various interviews, work trials and stuff all deciding to drop at the same time, not as pressing or distressing as bad feels but a sleep hindrance none the less.

As for Ni no Kuni... no, you're right about the battle system. And as for the second bit, no, that's not entirely accurate (however it is truly part of it). I did comment on it in a few threads but I've only spoken bluntly and at length about my impressions of the game to maybe two or three people on GAF because I do admit that I am in a very small minority with respect to disliking that game. (I actually wrote out a longer post than this but decided to edit the whole thing out because it looked inarticulate and poorly-structured).

All of the artwork and music cannot save this game from being poorly structured and from having poor mechanics to begin with. It is one of Level-5's better RPGs, but if this is what they have to offer to me, then that is not saying much. They should really go into visual novels or interactive games because aesthetics, scene direction, and sound direction are what they excel at. Not game mechanics, nor game pacing or structure. Better games than this have been released this generation on that particular console.

I truly abhor that game. Truly. A few people have told me that they're flabbergasted with how that game was received, and while I am feeling a bit similarly, I kind of understand why people like it. However, this sort of old-style game has been done far more competently this generation on other systems. I just can't stand how the thing is designed, structured, and paced at all. I've played much better, and those other games do not put me to sleep.

I am not going to lower my standards of what I think good RPG mechanics' design should be because something looks and sounds pretty. That would be shallow.
When abhor comes out that's when you know shit's getting real and to think this was the cliff notes version.
I want to say that surely you could present such an opinion without people going bananas but then again I wouldn't want to be that one dissenter in a sea of praise and probably get a bunch of the old one sentence dismissal posts.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm getting worse at my guesses, but you don't really need to know about stats and such, at least I don't.
I try to play everything, haha. But nah, I don't feel confident enough with my knowledge of Pokemon to discuss anything at length.

I've had the bundle of nerves thing over the past 3 nights due to various interviews, work trials and stuff all deciding to drop at the same time, not as pressing or distressing as bad feels but a sleep hindrance none the less.
Oh shoot! I'm sorry to hear that, Nocturnowl. I hope you have good luck, though! You sound like a busy bee rather than a Nocturnowl.

Just breathe. And take time to relax when you need to, okay? And if ya need to scream and shout and vent, shoot me a PM if ya need to.

When abhor comes out that's when you know shit's getting real and to think this was the cliff notes version.
I want to say that surely you could present such an opinion without people going bananas but then again I wouldn't want to be that one dissenter in a sea of praise and probably get a bunch of the old one sentence dismissal posts.
Aha, you should've seen some of the discussions I've had with other people about this. Lengthy as all heck. But no, I won't talk about all of the issues I have with the game on GAF. What I would say wouldn't be met with any sort of agreeable comments, nor would what I have to say be a point of discussion, so why even bother.

And you are correct; I haven't posted very much in the OT for the game because being one of the few dissenters in a thread filled with people who love the game is not a pretty feeling, since you will be ungracefully rebuffed for your opinions (possibly with mere one-liners). I truly wish this sort of mentality would cease, but alas, it won't.

Nert

I'm sure no one here would've minded, not a game that looks up my alley but who knows?

I eventually posted about it in the game's official topic. The abbreviated version: dungeon exploration is challenging and rewarding, being required to draw your own maps adds tension to exploration, the character classes all seem useful and well balanced so far, and the music is great. If you're familiar with the dungeon components of Persona 3 and Persona 4, it plays like a deeper and more interesting version of that. Unfortunately, the characters look like this:

CGD2-36193.jpg

034.jpg

There's a free demo on the 3DS shop that more or less lets you play the entire game for several hours, which should be plenty of time to see if you would care for it or not.

Did you listen to the last episode of 1up's Active Time Babble podcast? You would probably enjoy listening to Christian Nutt tear that game apart.

I eventually posted about it in the game's official topic. The abbreviated version: dungeon exploration is challenging and rewarding, being required to draw your own maps adds tension to exploration, the character classes all seem useful and well balanced so far, and the music is great. If you're familiar with the dungeon components of Persona 3 and Persona 4, it plays like a deeper and more interesting version of that. Unfortunately, the characters look like this:

There's a free demo on the 3DS shop that more or less lets you play the entire game for several hours, which should be plenty of time to see if you would care for it or not.
I'd be worried too if I launched a game starring empty vBulletin quote boxes. :V

In other news, goin' back to August 2012:

Start with Earthbound, though, I urge you.
I'm trying! I really am! But these prices! Even with a $50 gift certificate, this is highway robbery (´Д`)

Really hope that SNES price bubble pops soon. With most games I can just import the SFC versions to get around the inflated prices for the SNES versions, but I can't do that for RPGs since my Japanese isn't really good enough to get me through all of that text it would entail.

Quackula

Really hope that SNES price bubble pops soon.

I wouldn't count your chickens on that. I'm fairly certain we'll eventually see prices go down a bit or at least stabilize, but there is absolutely no telling when that will happen. Personally? I think the bubble only just started.

Earthbound and other expensive RPGs aren't my concern here (they'll always be expensive) so much as stuff like Super Metroid, Demon's Crest, or Contra III doubling in price in a matter of a few months.

I wouldn't count your chickens on that. I'm fairly certain we'll eventually see prices go down a bit or at least stabilize, but there is absolutely no telling when that will happen. Personally? I think the bubble only just started.

Yeah, that seems like a fair possibility. I already have most of the RPGs I want already (Though I really, really want a boxed US Chrono Trigger), but I dread the day I go on to ebay and see that the cheapest copy of Turtles in Time is $50-60.

qq more

Wow, come to think of it. Chaos Emeralds weren't tied to the plot in Sonic Colors. Has there been a 3D mainline Sonic title where Chaos Emeralds weren't important to the plot aside from this game?

Wow, come to think of it. Chaos Emeralds weren't tied to the plot in Sonic Colors. Has there been a 3D mainline Sonic title where Chaos Emeralds weren't important to the plot aside from this game?

Heroes, I guess. They still come to save the day when all is said and done, but they didn't have much to do with the plot at all that time around.

TheOGB

Banned
Nobody cared to beat every level day, afternoon and night in every weather condition using every shortcut as Tails Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom