• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackula

I could've bought it as another alt-universe Mega Man spinoff.

Thing is, we already had a dark and gritty Mega Man reboot. It was called Mega Man X.

qq more

I don't like the style of the game, it looks really generic and gritty. And the music... :/ Really stripped the charm off of Mega Man. The actual gameplay looks okay, it reminds me of Metroid Prime but it looks like something I can easily live without.

Sciz

Bad Boxart Mega Man's too cartoony. Needs more gritty. Doesn't this look hot to you.
I'd be down for a Bad Boxart Mega Man FPS that satirized the whole dark and gritty reboot phenomenon, but Capcom's the last company I'd expect to be that self-aware.

qq more

I like the armor design. :x

Enemy is pretty generic though.

That's because you aren't a loli loving weeaboo! That's right, if you don't like gritty reboots then you're a loli loving weeaboo! Someone just seriously said that in the thread just now. Good lord. That thread is killing me from the inside... let's talk about something else before I'm completely dead from the inside!

Like uh... Sonic!

Do you guys think we'll hear anything about Sonic within a few months from now? It's April already and still nothing!

EDIT: curse you JC :lol

Nert

I'd be down for a Bad Boxart Mega Man FPS that satirized the whole dark and gritty reboot phenomenon, but Capcom's the last company I'd expect to be that self-aware.

Playing Dikembe Mutumbo and Frog Fractions last year made me more aware of the enormous and mostly untapped opportunity in video games for self-parody, satire, and surrealism more generally. There are so many conventions in gaming that would be absurd in almost any other context (killings thousands of people at a time, slapping bandages of gaping bullet wounds, double jumping in general), yet most games try to ignore all of that and act as if they're serious and coherent. It's disappointing that more developers haven't found a way to just accept the embrace the absurdity and have some fun.

For an example of what I'm talking about, Botanicula had a refreshing sense of anarchy to it, including that part where a meat apple launches the heroes into space so they can witness the original moon landing. That was great! I want more of that! Why aren't there more levels in platforming games where you're jumping around something like Salvador Dalí's melting clock painting?

Since I'm starting to ramble, I'll just say that I would like to see more approaches taken to game stories and environments other than "simple/cartoony/artificial whimsy" and "grimdark/self serious." So yeah, a sarcastic Mega Man reboot would be lovely.

Kokonoe

Banned
That's because you aren't a loli loving weeaboo! That's right, if you don't like gritty reboots then you're a loli loving weeaboo! Someone just seriously said that in the thread just now. Good lord. That thread is killing me from the inside... let's talk about something else before I'm completely dead from the inside!

Like uh... Sonic!

Do you guys think we'll hear anything about Sonic within a few months from now? It's April already and still nothing!

EDIT: curse you JC :lol

image.php

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Now I'm nervous again. -_-
What a way to start a week.

I know dudes who put salt on their grits

the struggle is real, ya'll
Oh shit. I laughed too hard at this.

Regardless, I'm still not feeling those visuals at all. I really dislike how it looks, and well, I wouldn't have been able to play it, so bleh. And some of the vitriol in that thread. Oy. Why does that footage have cinematic killshots?

I would love that. I genuinely would. It'd be like Matt Hazard, I guess. Only, like, it'd play good.

How bad are we talking? Wait... should I even know?

Not ready yet apparently.

I always find spindashing kind of game breaking for Sonic 1. Well... not really but it takes away the challenge of breaking walls! (Still a nice addition though)

How bad? Just think of what you hate the most, and it'll be just like that.

Oh it isn't ready yet? Never mind then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Have our threads been visited by a mod?
Are our threads even monitored?

ARE WE FREE TO DO WHAT WE PLEASE?
Yes, they have.
They seem to be generally self-moderated.

No, we are not.

Looks good. Kinda mindblowing that it's in widescreen now.

tiggerkiddo
Banned
(Today, 08:30 PM0

ALSO, Guacamelee! is great. It's metroidvania starring luchadores. A Mexicovania. Combat is solid, art style is charming, runs at a smooth 60fps at beautiful 1080p, it's funny as hell, has a surprisingly awesome Mexico tinged soundtrack, and you "Morphball" into a chicken to get through small areas. AND it's co-op, and filled with video game references!

ckQIZER.jpg

and it has this neat Day of the Dead Light/Dark world mechanic, ala Outland, that they use for some challenging platforming/combat/puzzle sections

asrgcOz.jpg

Buy it.

TheOGB

Banned
tiggerkiddo
Banned
(Today, 08:30 PM0

ALSO, Guacamelee! is great. It's metroidvania starring luchadores. A Mexicovania. Combat is solid, art style is charming, runs at a smooth 60fps at beautiful 1080p, it's funny as hell, has a surprisingly awesome Mexico tinged soundtrack, and you "Morphball" into a chicken to get through small areas. AND it's co-op, and filled with video game references!

ckQIZER.jpg

and it has this neat Day of the Dead Light/Dark world mechanic, ala Outland, that they use for some challenging platforming/combat/puzzle sections

asrgcOz.jpg

Buy it.
is it weird that this is the strongest thing pulling me towards the Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom