• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
tumblr_mk2y7zKcmv1rnak98o1_400.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the hell are you people doing? You've all clearly had too much sugar for the past few days. Sit down. Take a few breaths. And take a nap, qq more, because you're acting your age at the moment. Is this what happens when I leave to study for a few hours? Maybe we should just make this the Asura's Wrath Community Thread. (I am not being completely serious, but you must admit that the thread's been off its rocker for the past few pages.)

New topic.

Sonic #247 has finally been acquired and I picked some books up. Should be good times. I also love how they shoved all of the science and math books under "Books for the Guys" this month. C'mon, son. (Anyway, that Proofiness book was written by the guy who wrote one of my favourite math history books ever, Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, so I had to pick it up.)

dsc0052760ugb.jpg

So. #247. Man, I kinda wish they released this when Mega Man #23 came out just so the cliffhangers at the end of each of those issues would've synched better.

It's cute that Amy's winter clothes are basically the same thing she wears in one of those Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. I do like how Sonic gets all pissed with Silver just because he's Silver, and tells him to get out of his face. Silver apologizes for being an idiot (but, well, we all know that Silver's always going to continue to be an idiot). Ties in with SU#44 nicely just for the sake of Silver finding his traitor who we all knew was going to be Sally.

But, ah, it's just kinda interesting how they're avoiding outright saying Elias and Geoffrey's names, opting instead for "the True King" and "Naugus's Agent". Though I think these were referenced in other SU issues before. Even so, it's just regrettable that the Penders nonsense screwed this story up a little bit. It was getting kind of interesting too, and Geoffrey was a huge part of it.

Also, the Tails Doll stuff is kinda creepy as hell. You see, Cheese finds Tails Doll and gives it to Cream. Cream begins to realize why Tails Doll keeps disappearing whenever bad happens. Cream tells Cheese to put Tails Doll away, but then Tails Doll is reactivated, and he does the thing that TimmiT posted a few pages back. *shudder*

Also: Before Eggman uses the Genesis Wave, he says "Albert better be ready to go..." Sheesh, now I'm super-excited for Worlds Collide now! Can't wait for this Wednesday.

Sonic & Tails look like they used a Rolling Combo in this issue. Even if it's related to Sonic 4: Ep 2, I'm still kinda happy that a reference to a team attack was thrown in there. They gave a high-five and everything!

And Operation Clean Sweep Redux ends up screwing up both Sonic and Mega Man's worlds, apparently. Again, I probably would've liked it if StH and MM came out just a short time from each other to make this a little more cohesive, but oh well. It's something that couldn't have been helped.

Off-panel was pretty dang hilarious. It's so true, too.

ShadiWulf said:
I know that feeling, although I don't have finals, but rather huge projects that are huge time sinkers. Of course, instead of doing those this evening, i decided to download terraria, cause you know, when i got something really important to work on i always find something to distract myself. Luckily i didn't find the game too addicting, still confused by it at the moment, so i didn't play it for very long.

Also it's gonna snow this week, but i suppose Minnesota is pretty close to canada anyways. Still.. snow in the middle of april.. :X
Yeah, we're getting snow on Thursday and Friday, apparently. This sucks. I want the weather everyone else is apparently happening. We just had a thunderstorm here too. Shucks.

And you do that too? Find something that distracts you when you actually have something important you should be doing? I do that every single finals season, and then I force myself into panic mode. This year is going to be different, though. I hope.

qq more

What the hell are you people doing? You've all clearly had too much sugar for the past few days. Sit down. Take a few breaths. And take a nap, qq more, because you're acting your age at the moment. Is this what happens when I leave to study for a few hours? Maybe we should just make this the Asura's Wrath Community Thread. (I am not being completely serious, but you must admit that the thread's been off its rocker for the past few pages.)

(≖_≖ ) I don't know what you're talking about...

Also I want that thunderstorm. I'm sick of the calm weather. ( ≖_≖)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
(≖_≖ ) I don't know what you're talking about...

Also I want that thunderstorm. I'm sick of the calm weather. ( ≖_≖)
You didn't want it. It was so loud that it shook the whole house and I had to unplug things.

Also, get some sense into your darn head.

IkWFDUk.gif

I could never get into the Mother games, though I tried.
Truly their strongest suits are their narratives, status effects, and enemy design... to me, anyway. Mother 3 did try some neat stuff with its rhythm-based attacking system. With respect to the entirety of the series, though, Mother 3 is ultimately my favourite game out of the three. That game made me cry at the very end.

EDIT: I knew I typed something up about it. Pretty sure I axed a few paragraphs from this because I broke the character limit in that post. Oh well.

10. Mother 3

Mother 3 is a perfect example of good storytelling in an RPG. When I played Mother 3, I was expecting Earthbound. I was not expecting such a profound tale of love, loss, capitalism, loss of rustic charm, and a ton of other themes this narrative included. The music was great, the battle system with the addition of the rhythm hits was fun, the characters and chapter divisions were well-planned, and the dialogue was wonderful (especially if you go back and look at all the dialogue throughout the chapters in Tazmily Village). In fact, I think Tazmily Village is kind of like Clock Town where I felt like the people were what made the town so great. I'm not sure if a lot of people did this, but if you go back to Tazmily after nearly every new chapter, the NPC dialogue changes. The development of the town and its citizens are really interesting to look at because of all of this. I really liked how well it was written, and it's one of towns I remember the most in any videogame I've played. The fan-translation was also well-done, imo. I loved its flavour.

And the rhythm-based battles were really cool, especially when playing on a GBA. Learning the underlying rhythms was one of my favourite parts of the game was well. Clearly, Mother 3 was a labour of love in terms of writing on Itoi’s part.​

Yea, it's just the Mother stories never really hooked me, I gave Earthbound a good 15 hours or so before I got bored and dropped it completely. The enemy designs are funny but that's all I remember from them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yea, it's just the Mother stories never really hooked me, I gave Earthbound a good 15 hours or so before I got bored and dropped it completely. The enemy designs are funny but that's all I remember from them.
To give a bit of background, I never played it back when it was released; I played it back when... oh man, I think I was 16/17 when I first played it.

I don't feel like Earthbound's narrative immediately hooks people in to begin with, as its storytelling isn't heavily-enforced like it is in Mother 3 or other RPGs. What people generally seem to like about it are: its music, the enemy design, its quirk (ie: shit, I can buy burgers and fries to replenish my HP? I can buy bottle rockets to kill things?), the status effects (homesickness may not allow you to do anything in combat until you call your mom), the final boss, and other factors. I don't think it's necessarily the narrative at all, but rather, it's everything else that draws people to the game (crazy cultists, Moonside, dream landscapes, a variety of areas, pizza delivery, etc). The battle system is certainly turn-based, but I definitely appreciate the HP counter which allows you to work faster to try to survive if you're in a pickle (you do not insta-die if you're hit with a fatal strike, for example; in that way, it's a bit more accessible while providing a bit of a challenge, I suppose). You may also choose to not fight fodder or they may run away from you if you're too strong. I suppose that may be an additional factor.

Mother 3 emphasizes narrative far more than Earthbound does, however. If you're looking for a more narrative-focused Mother game, I really would go with Mother 3. Each chapter presents something new for the player to connect with in terms of the narrative and some characterization (ex: at the beginning, each new chapter focuses on a certain character before you create a party of 4 people towards the middle of the game). That is why I had previously emphasized that I loved the NPC dialogue in that game. The English fan-translation is fantastic, and it's truly the way to go here. It is not merely the main characters who make Mother 3 shine, but it's a culmination of the NPCs, the NPC dialogue growth, enemy motivations, and other factors that make the narrative incredibly memorable. I genuinely love how Itoi developed all of the characters in that world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why isnt suikoden like dark souls

or mother 3

bad games
Now I'm just feeling sad. :(

It's really too bad I'm not in an RPG mood at the moment, otherwise I would play the PSP versions of the games. I usually do try to play/speedrun one or both of them annually.

*sigh* I wish Konami cared.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hope I'm like Dark Souls tomorrow.

I have so many butterflies in my stomach. Ohhhh... maaaaan... I hope I have some good luck on my side. >_<

Also, the Tails Doll stuff is kinda creepy as hell. You see, Cheese finds Tails Doll and gives it to Cream. Cream begins to realize why Tails Doll keeps disappearing whenever bad happens. Cream tells Cheese to put Tails Doll away, but then Tails Doll is reactivated, and he does the thing that TimmiT posted a few pages back. *shudder*

...hey, I'm not TimmiT! What, am I not good enough to be remembered properly? T___T

ShadiWulf

Yeah, we're getting snow on Thursday and Friday, apparently. This sucks. I want the weather everyone else is apparently happening. We just had a thunderstorm here too. Shucks.

And you do that too? Find something that distracts you when you actually have something important you should be doing? I do that every single finals season, and then I force myself into panic mode. This year is going to be different, though. I hope.

Winter storm warning issued until Thursday 1pm this morning.. LOL in the middle of spring. I don't know if you get winter storm warnings issued in canada, but yeah... just means there is going to be significant snow, just not blizzard bad, for that theres a blizzard warning.

and yeah.. i procrastinate every chance i get XD, not that i want to do it, it just happens!

btw, have you seen iizuka-san's new threads?
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139/20130405051/TN/009.jpg the dark lord is looking stylish! in black of course, it would never be any other color.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Winter storm warning issued until Thursday 1pm this morning.. LOL in the middle of spring. I don't know if you get winter storm warnings issued in canada, but yeah... just means there is going to be significant snow, just not blizzard bad, for that theres a blizzard warning.

and yeah.. i procrastinate every chance i get XD, not that i want to do it, it just happens!

btw, have you seen iizuka-san's new threads?
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139/20130405051/TN/009.jpg the dark lord is looking stylish! in black of course, it would never be any other color.
Oh yeah, we totally do get Winter Storm warnings, lol. It's because everyone drives like stupid when there's just a few cm of snow on the ground.

Plus sometimes we get stuff like this video, where people have to shovel their way out on the highway!

Iizuka's got a swell new coat!

...hey, I'm not TimmiT! What, am I not good enough to be remembered properly? T___T
You're lucky I didn't respond to this this morning when I was incredibly high-strung and stressed out (seriously, I was so nervous that I felt sick, and I barely slept last night since I was thinking about it so much) otherwise I probably would have said something I would've regretted. Regardless of the fact that I'm still a bit stressed out (meeting went OK for those who I told about it, but I'm not out of the woods yet; I need to write a letter and stuff), I'm sorry I forgot it was you who posted it. I think he posted it in chat and that's why I remembered it.

Even so, I don't like that I was spoiled on it at all. There's a reason why Sciz, Tizoc, and I discuss the comics with spoiler tags for everything, so keep that in mind next time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the heck is that Mega Man thing on gaming side and why does it make me feel so ill and dead inside?

It reeks of focus testing! *disgusted* Gawwwwwd.

Shadow Hog said:
Hold McCowan or else
KuGsj.gif

I always used to say that when I was younger.

qq more

There's people who are seriously arguing against me when I've said the franchise doesn't need a fucking gritty reboot.

What the fuck

OMG Aero

There's people who are seriously arguing against me when I've said the franchise doesn't need a fucking gritty reboot.

What the fuck
Quick question, which would you prefer: that game came out or that there is never another Megaman game?
Because it seems like option 2 is what Capcom is going with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

What the fuck
Welcome to NeoGAF, darlin'.

Honestly? If I had a choice, I wouldn't have wanted that for Mega Man. Better off dead and canned than that... I don't know what that is. Did Bomberman Act Zero kind of kill Bomberman? I mean... How does Mega Man X have no story? I'm playing X4 right now and there's a boatload of it!

"At the time, I thought about the good old Mega Man fans from the past, that was an audience from 20 years ago," Inafune explained. "They've grown up. They're adults. And when I thought about what people were enjoying the most right now, especially in the west, the answer was first-person shooters."That's why I thought the people who grew up with Mega Man might like it. I felt that it would be a huge hit for Capcom."
I...

No. No. No.

I wouldn't be able to play it!

OMG Aero

The second option as painful as it is.
Fair enough. Though I don't see why the first option is worse.
The game has no effect on the Megaman games you like, there is a chance it might actually be good (remember how everyone was down on Wind Waker and Metroid Prime before they came out?) and it might lead to Capcom making Megaman games you like.
And if you go with the more likely option that the game is terrible, then you can just not play the game and it's no different to option 2.
Did Bomberman Act Zero kind of kill Bomberman?
No, after Act Zero they made really good versions of classic Bomberman multiplayer and looked like they were on track to make another game in the vein of Bomberman 64 before Hudson went under.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd buy it just to piss people off...
and if it had Bad Boxart Mega Man
Bad Boxart Mega Man's too cartoony. Needs more gritty. Doesn't this look hot to you.

megawhyxnu80.gif
megawhy2daui9.gif

This needs to be shown. Why does he look like Cobra Commander?! Not even the awesome song can redeem this.

Give Megaman a rest. They overdid the series, then waited a while, then came out with 2 games that were exactly like the older ones and people remembered why they stopped making them in the first place.
...I'm leaving.

No, after Act Zero they made really good versions of classic Bomberman multiplayer and looked like they were on track to make another game in the vein of Bomberman 64 before Hudson went under.
Ah, yes, that's right. Poor Hudson.

Konami killed everything. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom