• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
mIQRino.png
welp

Who knew that outsourcing your game to mediocre western studios like Slant Six and Spark Unlimited would result in mediocre games(tbh, DmC on PC was pretty decent, but just for one playthrough)!

Really, I'm shocked nobody bought that reboot to a franchise nobody asked for. Shocked, I tell you!

qq more

Don't be hatin' on NSMB. As soulless as the art and music may be, NSMBU is a fantastic game!

Also just ordered Shenmue (complete) for 25 dollars. Wheee

Broach

Banned
I still think the first one the DS was the best. It actually looked nice for a DS game, and we didn't have a new 2D game in a long while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well. It's the only DmC game at this point! Sheesh.

Schadenfreude shouldn't even be a thing in this context, but I'm deriving some sort of pleasure from this. Perhaps it's because I'd erroneously started that game right after I'd finished Rising and was terribly shocked after I'd started it.

qq more

After you do you can have the achievement that all Mario games have, that feeling where you collect everything and don't get a prize to show for it other than a simple congratulations.

Nintendo are such geniuses with rewards when it comes to 100%ing games!

In speaking of 100%ing Mario games... Who actually bothered 100%ing Mario 3D Land? The requirements for it... omfg...

Kokonoe

Banned

In speaking of 100%ing Mario games... Who actually bothered 100%ing Mario 3D Land? The requirements for it... omfg...

I was was working on it when I rented it, but then I saw what else you had to do and just stopped.

Just tedious nonsense.

qq more

I was was working on it when I rented it, but then I saw what else you had to do and just stopped.

Just tedious nonsense.

The padding in that... just... what were they thinking?! Would it kill to have it so getting all Star Coins unlock something special?

Kokonoe

Banned
The padding in that... just... what were they thinking?! Would it kill to have it so getting all Star Coins unlock something special?

I think the only Mario game that gave you something for collecting everything was just Mario 64, which let you see Yoshi. That's the best it's gotten so far, unless Galaxy 2 had something.

I need to 100% NSMBU sometime. Anyone interested for that New Super Luigi U DLC?

I think I currently hold more hype for that DLC and the new stages in DKCR 3D than most upcoming games this year, what can I say? I just want more platforming from these series.
(I bet you'd all have exceptional hype for a mere two new Sonic Generations Zones, don't even pretend otherwise...as would I)
Well sort of, I really don't need another NSMB game as 4 is more than enough now but this DLC is a neat idea, taking off the training wheels and applying Luigi physics could arguably make for the best and sort of freshest NSMB experience if the level design is up to scratch.

Hopefully this DLC ends with a better last stage than what Mario's quest did, Pendulum Castle should've been the actual finale.

Oh and I got 100% out of 3D Land, that flagpole requirement was the worst.
Galaxy 2 had Green Stars for getting 120 normal stars and then The Perfect Run after the green stars, Mario 64 was small time by comparison.
plus we all know that the real highlight of SM64's 100% was the sparkly triple jump, you know you can bounce off lava with that stuff.

TheOGB

Banned

I've got over 300 Star Coins. What more do I need?

Oh, all gold errthang flags? I might give that a go. *shriek in the distance*

OMG Aero

I did, it was pretty fun going back and speed running the levels as Luigi and again as Mario to get the top of the flag poles.
I think I had to do the last level with the Tanooki suit though.

Kokonoe

Banned
How hard was the TRUE final battle?

I think I currently hold more hype for that DLC and the new stages in DKCR 3D than most upcoming games this year, what can I say? I just want more platforming from these series.
(I bet you'd all have exceptional hype for a mere two new Sonic Generations Zones, don't even pretend otherwise...as would I)
Well sort of, I really don't need another NSMB game as 4 is more than enough now but this DLC is a neat idea, taking off the training wheels and applying Luigi physics could arguably make for the best and sort of freshest NSMB experience if the level design is up to scratch.

Hopefully this DLC ends with a better last stage than what Mario's quest did, Pendulum Castle should've been the actual finale.

Oh and I got 100% out of 3D Land, that flagpole requirement was the worst.

The flagpole thing was where I stopped, I got everything else though.

qq more

I think the only Mario game that gave you something for collecting everything was just Mario 64, which let you see Yoshi. That's the best it's gotten so far, unless Galaxy 2 had something.
Galaxy 1 unlocks Luigi if that counts. I sort of see Luigi as his own mode, but I haven't really done it yet. Do you get anything in Sunshine?

I've got over 300 Star Coins. What more do I need?

Beat every stage as both Mario and Luigi.
Collect every star coins
Get all golden flags

And there's like... 16 worlds total! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Didn't Galaxy 2 have that grandmaster galaxy? I swear I'm not making that up

Galaxy 1 unlocks Luigi if that counts. I sort of see Luigi as his own mode, but I haven't really done it yet. Do you get anything in Sunshine?
You got disappointment and a kick in the nads for wasting your time with the blue coin hunt.
Specifically you got a single crappy screen post credits with Mario and NPCs.
The sunglasses were for around 30 shines I think and the shirt came for beating Bowser.

Beat every stage as both Mario and Luigi.
Collect every star coins
Get all golden flags

And there's like... 16 worlds total! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
You make it sound a lot worse than it actually is, the stages aren't exactly long, had they dropped the flagpole nonsense i'd have been pretty cool with it.
But the moment you botch a flagpole jump...oh the disappointment.

Didn't Galaxy 2 have that grandmaster galaxy? I swear I'm not making that up
Hammer Bros everywhere, one hit kos over a treacherous pit and that was just the last bit, the perfect run put the sweat into my palms and I never want to do it again.

qq more

You make it sound a lot worse than it actually is, the stages aren't exactly long, had they dropped the flagpole nonsense i'd have been pretty cool with it.
But the moment you botch a flagpole jump...oh the disappointment.

But I don't want to replay the same stages over and over and over. Let me just get the star coins to unlock stuff! I want games to respect the player's time.

Kokonoe

Banned
Kind of a cool/interesting unlockable... definitely better than NSMBs' "YOU DID IT!" messages. Was it worth unlocking?

He gives Mario sunglasses after a total of thirty Shine Sprites have been collected by the player. The sunglasses have no apparent function besides darkening the screen slightly, thereby reducing the bright effects of the sunlight. The vendor also awards Mario with a sky-blue shirt with small Shine Sprite images printed on it after he defeats Bowser.

Guess I got it confused, this isn't bad at all. I thought it was collecting all the shine sprites.

The actual prize for collecting them all is an alternate ending screen. (Use Action Replay)

qq more

You got disappointment and a kick in the nads for wasting your time with the blue coin hunt.
Specifically you got a single crappy screen post credits with Mario and NPCs.
The sunglasses were for around 30 shines I think and the shirt came for beating Bowser.
Guess I got it confused, this isn't bad at all. I thought it was collecting all the shine sprites.

The actual prize for collecting them all is an alternate ending screen.

Why is Nintendo so cruel :(

Give us a cool unlockable that's game breaking! I mean we 100%ed it, let us cheat or do something crazy!

Kokonoe

Banned
Has there ever been a cheat code in a Nintendo game? Closest thing I can think of are the warps in Mario 1, 2, and the whistle in Mario 3.

qq more

Has there ever been a cheat code in a Nintendo game? Closest thing I can think of are the warps in Mario 1, 2, and the whistle in Mario 3.

Never heard of any now that you mention it... (aside from F-Zero mentioned in Seven Force's post)

Come to think of it, such things are so rare in games in general. They should really award people with cheat codes after 100%ing the game. It would be so fun revisiting levels you've mastered with such insane stuff to do!

But I don't want to replay the same stages over and over and over. Let me just get the star coins to unlock stuff! I want games to respect the player's time.
But to get all the star coins requires replaying stages, unless you got them all on your first go around.
Feasibly you could get the coins and flagpoles when you return with Luigi, or you could just wait until you feel like replaying the game as you're not forced to do this all at once, it's just one stage after all, most platformers don't have much in the way of longevity outside of replayability.

The Sonic series is hardly free from such things itself, failed a chaos emerald attempt? replay the stage and try again, get all the red rings in Sonic 4 Ep2 and earn nothing, beat Sonic 1 and get greeted with TOO BAD for your ending because you didn't get all the emeralds.
It's all about replayability when it comes down to it, it's like a staple of the genre really, as long as we don't get the Ghouls and Ghost treatment i'm not too likely to complain but the 3D Land flagpoles and most of the Sonic series emerald treatment do begin to push things into unpleasant for me as well.
As for 100% Satisfaction alone is its own reward for me and something like a dinky little star on my file does the job since i'm only going to go for 100% if I actually like the game enough to do so (actually i'm a fan of the alt title screens myself, more of these please) but different strokes I guess, I got all the red rings in Sonic Colours, used Super Sonic like three times and it ain't that great but I'm fine with that as collecting the rings and playing the Sonic Simulator stages was fun.
That said I hate having Super Sonic in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I inadvertently activate it and have to listen to the short looping music over and over.

Regarding Nintendo and cheat codes DKC trilogy had cheats as well.

qq more

But to get all the star coins requires replaying stages, unless you got them all on your first go around.
Feasibly you could get the coins and flagpoles when you return with Luigi, or you could just wait until you feel like replaying the game as you're not forced to do this all at once, it's just one stage after all, most platformers don't have much in the way of longevity outside of replayability.

Mario games, especially this one, has sooo many levels though. I can easily see myself getting burned out from replaying each and every level so many times. Star Coins is fine... But golden flags? And being forced to play as another character? Tedious padding, I don't like it.

The Sonic series is hardly free from such things itself, failed a chaos emerald attempt? replay the stage and try again, get all the red rings in Sonic 4 Ep2 and earn nothing, beat Sonic 1 and get greeted with TOO BAD for your ending because you didn't get all the emeralds.
Chaos Emeralds is a different scenario though... in some cases. They're mostly easy to get and you have so many opportunities to get them, they aren't necessary on level-basis, so it's not as much padding as collecting Star Coins (and like I've said before, I am completely fine with Star Coins).

Advance 2's padding was a serious problem though. The requirements to enter a special stage was extremely tedious, and you had to do it as everyone. Just because Sonic did some senseless padding doesn't mean it's okay for Mario to do it. Sonic Advance 2's padding was needlessly tedious, I don't know why no one shares the emeralds like the other games and it was tedious having to beat the game as everyone just to unlock Super Sonic. The levels don't really change so nothing is fresh for me. Just because Sonic did it doesn't mean Mario should! I don't want to be forced to replay levels for a billion of times.

Oh and Sonic 4 Ep 2 not giving you anything for Red Rings was so stupid. Soooo stupid. Generations/Colors handled the Red Rings far better as far as I'm concerned.

In short, keep it simple, don't go adding more silly meaningless requirements! Star Coins is enough, especially if it's for unlocking something.

So we're in agreement? i've kind of lost whatever point we had going here.
Expect some padding in the genre for a games final unlock, just hope they don't overdo it.

qq more

Maybe I'm not wording my argument right (likely case because I tend to present my opinions kind of wrong) or I've been just plain misreading you. I just don't like excessive padding. Star Coin padding is fine! I've only listed the Star Coins in the requirement list in my other post because I was listing everything required to unlock the final boss. I didn't think Star Coins alone were bad.

I could've said that from the start... oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So we all agree DKC2 has the best collectibles in gaming

Good. I knew I liked you non-Beef guys and gals for a reason

I'm tsundere towards Beef

I think I was just saying that the 3D Land padding is actually a fair bit shorter than it sounds not that I like those filthy flagpoles either and then we just sort of spiralled out from there.
It basically varies on a game by game basis.
I don't think anyone likes or wants to defend padding, except maybe JRPG enthusiasts...
someone's going to have my head for that remark.

Oh hey JC said what I was going to throw in here as well.

The only DKC I've played was the GBC port of the first one, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I've been meaning to hunt down the SNES trilogy ever since getting the console, but haven't done so.

qq more

I think I was just saying that the 3D Land padding is actually a fair bit shorter than it sounds not that I like those filthy flagpoles either and then we just sort of spiralled out from there.
It basically varies on a game by game basis.
I don't think anyone likes or wants to defend padding, except maybe JRPG enthusiasts...
someone's going to have my head for that remark.

Oh hey JC said what I was going to throw in here as well.

In speaking of RPGs, am I the only one that prefers them short? Like 20-30 hours short? Anything longer and I kind of lose my interest. How the hell did I make it to the true final boss of ToTA? Ugh

The only DKC I've played was the GBC port of the first one, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I've been meaning to hunt down the SNES trilogy ever since getting the console, but haven't done so.

I actually own all of the mainline DKC games. By that I mean 1-3 SNES and Returns. Never owned the GB/GBA ones.

Noi

I'd rather go back to SMW-era Mario where you didnt have to collect junk, just beat the stages.

(Mario Advance 2 adding in worthless princess coins to collect was awful.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom