• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were just balloons for no reason, i'm out of the Sonic Gaf loop like Sonic with no momentum, enjoy the annual day of ageing Schala.

Can't wait to see that tome Blackjace, i'm holding you to it now, you may have that unique potential to grasp tome writing powers.

Here, Schala, have a cake.

magus_cake_by_vinmaler7y85.jpg

I couldn't find a Suikoden 2 one, so I
went with #2
:<

Aw yeah, now the party can really get started.

americanparty.jpg

Just... pretend he means North American.

Broach

Banned
What if the next Sonic game is as good as Allstars Racing Transformed?

Like, people comparing it seriously to the Mario game coming out this holiday. Like Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64.

You know what? I want the next Sonic game, to be the next Banjo Kazooie, as Transformed was the next Diddy Kong Racing.

What if the next Sonic game is as good as Allstars Racing Transformed?

Like, people comparing it seriously to the Mario game coming out this holiday. Like Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64.

You know what? I want the next Sonic game, to be the next Banjo Kazooie, as Transformed was the next Diddy Kong Racing.

I just want it to be the next Unleashed/Colours/Generations. People seriously comparing it to the previous games in the series. Comparisons to other franchises will come naturally from that general improvement.

Of course I don't realistically expect fair comparison to Mario (or any other franchise really) because people are so caught up in the "Sonic sucks" meme that they don't even bother looking at things, simply passing it on.

Basically, just enjoy the games for what they are. Don't worry what anyone thinks. Play, assess and enjoy for yourself.

Broach

Banned
I just want it to be the next Unleashed/Colours/Generations. People seriously comparing it to the previous games in the series. Comparisons to other franchises will come naturally from that general improvement.

Of course I don't realistically expect fair comparison to Mario (or any other franchise really) because people are so caught up in the "Sonic sucks" meme that they don't even bother looking at things, simply passing it on.

Basically, just enjoy the games for what they are. Don't worry what anyone thinks. Play, assess and enjoy for yourself.

It worked for Transformed to an extent and that had the Sonic label pretty strongly on it.

I'm not bothered what other people think, but it would be cool to have an "Arkham Asylum" effect if you know what I mean.

ShadiWulf

i don't check this thread super often, guess i checked on the right day!

made an appropriate graphic for Schala's birthday

fm0HC1h.jpg

happy birthday!

edit: i just picked up a glass and it exploded in my hand, must be punishment for altering a tribute to iizuka-san. im not joking! it actually happened, heres a pic

Wwpde1P.jpg

Happy Birthday, Schala!

Yeah, pretty much this. Just the fact that stuff like Colors' art design ended up being compared to the likes of the Genesis trilogy + CD (and rightfully so!) shows that they're on the right track.

Nert

Wow, there are a lot of birthdays this month. Happy Birthday, Schala!

I guess I'll mention in this Sonic discussion thread that I recently finished Planescape: Torment and I really enjoyed it. Planescape: Torment is kind of like Sonic, right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow! I didn't expect to pop in here and see all of this. Thank you so much for the thoughtful wishes, everyone! You're all awesome. I'm smiling like an idiot over here. :)

And I'll be pleasantly surprised if you all write-up mini-tomes today. Haha. Dang, Shadow Hog, I want that cake.

Nert, I'll get back to you on the weekend. I promise. It looks good so far, though. I'll just type up a few things to add in.

ShadiWulf said:
edit: i just picked up a glass and it exploded in my hand, must be punishment for altering a tribute to iizuka-san. im not joking! it actually happened, heres a pic
Sheesh, I hope you didn't get hurt or cut. If you did, check to see if you don't need stitches, and otherwise, clean it, wash it, and bandage it up.

Nert said:
I guess I'll mention in this Sonic discussion thread that I recently finished Planescape: Torment and I really enjoyed it. Planescape: Torment is kind of like Sonic, right?
The quests and narrative are woven in a way such that the player is immersed within the world and think more about the NPCs around them, so it's kinda like the Adventure/Unleashed games, sure. Too bad you don't have stats to modify to affect how you interact with said NPCs.

Nudull said:
Seeing as how I'm a longtime Sonic fan and an Archie comic follower, I'm surprised I never poked my head in here until now. Howdy. XD
Welcome~ Enjoy your stay.

Box of Bunnies said:
This is the absolute truth. The first few steps, I feel, are to compare the newer games to the older games... in a positive manner. Unleashed (day)/Colours/Generations are happily and generally compared to the Genesis games with loftier comments, and that's truly what I wanted. That's the first step for the Sonic series to regain its footing (and the series has had a lot of progress this generation since its absolute lowest point; let's remember that I really like Unleashed on the whole). Perhaps after the next instalment or next few instalments, maybe the series will rightfully be compared to other platformer series on equal terms.

Heck, some people already do compare the likes of Colours (because it's more platformer/power-up based) and Generations (an anniversary game, which is somewhat how I felt SM3DL was kind of like) to Mario, so that's a nice natural next step.

ShadiWulf

Wow! I didn't expect to pop in here and see all of this. Thank you so much for the thoughtful wishes, everyone! You're all awesome. I'm smiling like an idiot over here. :)

Sheesh, I hope you didn't get hurt or cut. If you did, check to see if you don't need stitches, and otherwise, clean it, wash it, and bandage it up.

You're welcome

also, no worries. All I got was a small cut :) good thing i didn't put Dark Lord Schala like I was thinking of doing, that might of increased his anger, stealing his title like that! I think it was just a warning, LOL

ok, i don't know if iizuka has powers like that or not, but that was scary, and while its probably a extremely strange coincidence its still makes you wonder if iizuka has special powers, like how hes managed to still stay at SEGA after completely destroying the Sonic franchise with Shadow the Hedgehog. That said, he is doing good now, so that's good! Hopefully he doesn't surprise us with another Shadow the Hedgehog in the near future.

ok, i don't know if iizuka has powers like that or not, but that was scary, and while its probably a extremely strange coincidence its still makes you wonder if iizuka has special powers, like how hes managed to still stay at SEGA after completely destroying the Sonic franchise with Shadow the Hedgehog. That said, he is doing good now, so that's good! Hopefully he doesn't surprise us with another Shadow the Hedgehog in the near future.

The cup breaking was an omen, consider me on my guard, this may just be the first of what I'll now dub unexplained Iizuka phenomenons.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh snaaaaaap Happy birthday Schala! :D
Thank you so much! It was a fun birthday.

Schala would probably tell you to buy it anyway.
I definitely would! The original version's janky as all hell and it looks like a darn DC/PS2 game, but it's definitely one of my favourite games of the entire generation for its narrative, presentation, voice acting, collectibles, quests, and general immersion. I definitely don't like it ironically; my like of it is actually genuine. It's just the combat stuff I dislike a lot, but since the PS3 version's trophies don't specify for you to play on a certain difficulty (and I assume it's the same for the DC), you can get away with playing it on easy for the plat.

Just remember that melee is almost always better than going for the guns. Do the guitar sidequest asap, and use the guitar like nobody's business.

So says Mr. Stewart.

Haha, everyone's gettin' some cool stuff. Bean got MM #25 already (sooo envious; and the cover looks even better in-person). Coldman's gettin' Deadly Premonition DC before me. Bah, I say. Ah, patience is a virtue, I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's a scene before York's in the red room, at the very very beginning.

I don't think the models are different. York still looks creepy as fuck.
Hmm... that's definitely different. You usually got the intro, and then you got to control York in the Red Room. Oh, I know what that's supposed to be. It's a new thing. I hope the camera's better, btw.

Hey man, York's creepy as hell smile is a memorable thing.

The camera seems good enough. The aiming is terrible, thank the lord for the lock-on.

And yes, York's creepy smile is absolutely a thing of beauty.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now for sinuses and allergies to get at me. (I've got it bad today, but I don't really mind. Gotta keep up with my Claritin/Benadryl or something of the sort.)

But yes, I appreciate that it's spring. I got a huge batch of lilies sitting on my desk right now. :D

Noi

In Puerto Rico it's never-ending summer with an occasional chilly night period but still being too hot during the day.

BlackJace

Normally I absolutely detest the interactive movie-esque, QTE heavy, emotion driven slop that gets thrown into games nowadays, but I've found myself quite impressed by Beyond: Two Souls. Really liked what I saw today.

Old man winter woke up late and has been hitting us with lots of snow lately, it's such a relief to get into my car and have it a sauna inside so I can finally turn the dial to cold air.

Boogiepop

So in looking into the comics, I now own the first two volumes of Legacy and Saga, as well as the first Universe. Are the Selects at all worth grabbing for the specials? I've found the Legacy stuff kind of curiously interesting, but not exactly good. Is the Select stuff at least up to the level of the stuff in Legacy? Also, is any of it more game-based, because those kind of stories have been a bit of a plus, same to the ones that try to be a bit bigger of a story. Mostly it just bugs me that the other comics seem to reference them, but I'm not sure how much filling in those gaps is worth to me.

Tizoc

It has been more than a year since I said I would get around to replaying and Platinuming Sonic Generations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom