• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
New Comic-Con trailer for Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynI_m0vtnrU
This just made me want a new Skies of Arcadia. Gosh, I want a new Skies so bad.

I want this game so bad.

Judging from video game trailers... yes!
Last year's trend was Power, this year's trend is wubwubwubwub... wonder what next year's trend'll be!

Gaga is still popular, but Daft Punk seem to have been off doing fuck knows what the last few years, besides the Tron 2.0 soundtrack.

And I'll always remember Jamiroquai as the guy with the huge hat :lol
That's Jay Kay.

It feels good to find a thread where I won't be called a raging furry and stuff because I like Sonic. Hopefully I can fit into this little community nicely.
Welcome~ :)

So according to ScreenRant's coverage of Disney's panel @ SDCC, Sonic will appear in Wreck-it Ralph alongside Eggman.

We’re treated to some ten minutes from Wreck-It Ralph, including the opening five minutes. Lots of fun jokes about 8-bit arcade graphics and riffs on modern video game series like Call of Duty. Plus, a lot of cameos from famous vg characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. The villain group therapy session is as amusing as the glimpse in the trailer.

TheOGB

Banned
Sounds like Sonic has some lines, too (via TSSZ News):
We then follow Ralph to the central terminal where characters can travel from game to game. Sonic the Hedgehog is featured on a PSA telling characters to be careful not to die in a game that isn’t their own as there will be no regenerating afterward. Here, Ralph is accosted by a security check (not once but twice), and shows a bit of heart when he gives one of his cherries to a down-and-out Q*bert, whose game had been unplugged.

OMG Aero

That'd better take the form of a Sonic Sez segment.

Wonder if Sega provided their own CG models for this.
The Bowser and Eggman models in the trailer looked so accurate that I would be really impressed if Sega and Nintendo didn't give them their models or at least help them out with them.

ShadiWulf

So Sonic Boom is today.. im jealous of whoever is going. It looked like a blast last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL77-jlfDTs

Also, i find it ironic that it's at a place called "House of Blues" i mean Sonic is blue, but his music is far from blues ;p Crush 40 gonna rock the place.

and I know I'll get stoned for saying this, but I think Sonic Boom is much better then Summer of Sonic =P Ruby knows how to throw a party.

Pietepiet

As much as I love the music in Sonic, I don't really understand the love for Crush 40. I mean, sure, I thought the songs were cool way back, but now that I listen to it again, it's really not all that great.

Hell, if they're going to do any live Sonic stuff, I'd rather have Hideki Naganuma play a set or something.

TheOGB

Banned
As much as I love the music in Sonic, I don't really understand the love for Crush 40. I mean, sure, I thought the songs were cool way back, but now that I listen to it again, it's really not all that great.

Hell, if they're going to do any live Sonic stuff, I'd rather have Hideki Naganuma play a set or something.
Hideki Naganuma live would make my panties wet :x

Xun

With no disrespect to Sonic fans, the series need a long break and a rethink.

Even the new games which are regarded to be good have been mediocre in my opinion.

Pietepiet

Just checked it out. Plays like a dream <3

It also got me to look into more mods. I'm sad there's not a single new Blaze mod that has a proper runcycle. People are trying to replicate her runcycle from Rush, which looked awful. I'd rather have it just be like Sonic's :\

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Woooooo Sonic Boom!

I feel ashamed that, as a long standing Sonic fan, I haven't gone to a single event featuring it.
Neither have I, but that's mostly because nothing cool really comes to Canada other than Anime North or what is now known as Fan Expo. Though, ah, I haven't had the time for either since... um... the early to mid 2000s, I guess.

With no disrespect to Sonic fans, the series need a long break and a rethink.

Even the new games which are regarded to be good have been mediocre in my opinion.
And that's a perfectly reasonable stance. I really do think they should refine the formula they started with Colours, because it certainly isn't perfect. Good start, though. If people aren't digging it, and that's totally fine because it is not their cup of tea, then that stance is understandable. I really do think they should segment the games into two areas with one team taking care of 2D (competently, mind you--don't give it to Dimps), and the other with 3D or 2D/3D hybrid (because there are people who like it).

I think they might need to take a year off (like they seem to be doing now(?)) and put some extra work and thought into the next Sonic project at the very least and see what exactly they want to do with the series. But since it's one of Sega's series that's actually making some sort of money (even if it may not be qualified as a lot of money), I don't think they'll end up putting it away for a lengthy amount of time.

I never want to say it on Gaming side, but it sorta feels like Final Fantasy and Sonic have had a lot in common lately: fanbase-wise, company profit-wise, branding-wise, and opinion-wise.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but:

http://youtu.be/LemZaeW7q_0

Dragon Road has been released! :)
*faints*

I never want to say it on Gaming side, but it sorta feels like Final Fantasy and Sonic have had a lot in common lately: fanbase-wise, company profit-wise, branding-wise, and opinion-wise.
I've wanted to mention those parallels before, but it would inevitably cause one hell of a shitstorm.

Sciz

How accurate is the "can I run it" website? According to that, all of my components are at the "recommended" level except my video card, which is at "required." I NEED to get Generations on PC if this is the kind of stuff I can expect from the modding scene.

It's a Steam daily deal right now. Even if you can't run it well, it's a great time to snag it for the future.

TheOGB

Banned
EDIT: OH YES, SONIC GENERATIONS IS ON SALE ON STEAM TODAY. If you don't have a computer that can run it now at least you'll already have the game, so you just sign in on your new PC when you get it and it's still yours.
All the same, though, don't buy it if you won't be upgrading anytime soon :p

Not sure if this was posted yet, but:

http://youtu.be/LemZaeW7q_0

Dragon Road has been released! :)
Woot, downloaded

First time I'll boot up the game in months since yesterday, actually, heh.

Edit: HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE HUB MIXES AT THE BEGINNING

Pietepiet

How accurate is the "can I run it" website? According to that, all of my components are at the "recommended" level except my video card, which is at "required." I NEED to get Generations on PC if this is the kind of stuff I can expect from the modding scene.

The PC port is amazing and runs on a ton of systems. Get it on the Steam sale :)

Haha, I know, right? This mod is amazing!

TheOGB

Banned
My god, I cannot get over how amazing that jazzy mix of Dragon Road is. I desperately need to here more ._.

This calls for an entirely jazz collaborative remix album! Someone call The OneUps!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've wanted to mention those parallels before, but it would inevitably cause one hell of a shitstorm.
Well, it's true. Feel free to mention it here, since people aren't as serious.

http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/white-world-unleashed

You can also hear them if you walk left in the HUB, in the mod.
Oh my effing gosh my body can't take thi--...

*faints*

TheOGB

Banned
http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/white-world-unleashed

You can also hear them if you walk left in the HUB, in the mod.
MmKRn.gif

My sound card in my computer is fucked, so the link is VERY much appreciated!

teehee, Rooftop Run is unchanged

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega. My money is on the table. Good lord. Pick this up, polish it up, give these guys the profits, and give it to me as DLC, please. Sonic Generations is absolutely begging for DLC.

My laptop can't run this (checking now, it apparently can at minimum settings which might not be good and dandy for Chemical Plant or Seaside Hill, I think?). How disappointing.

Edit: I may be a smidge overexcited. *cough*

JonCha

Keyboard layout for Sonic Generation is looking like this as it's installing

Movement: WASD
Jump: Space
Strafe: Left/right arrow keys
Homing attack: up arrow
Drift: space and shift
Boost: Q

Anything I missed?

Sciz

You're missing a key for stomp/slide, missing a key for light dash/use item, homing attack and jump are the same key, and putting boost on a key that's shared with your movement fingers is just a bad idea.

edit: You also can't bind shift/ctrl/alt for some inane reason. Might be possible through .cfg editing, but they're nearly unintelligible.

JonCha

You're missing a key for stomp/slide, missing a key for light dash/use item, homing attack and jump are the same key, and putting boost on a key that's shared with your movement fingers is just a bad idea.

Going to put those three on I, O and P I think.

OMG Aero

Sega. My money is on the table. Good lord. Pick this up, polish it up, give these guys the profits, and give it to me as DLC, please. Sonic Generations is absolutely begging for DLC.

My laptop can't run this (checking now, it apparently can at minimum settings which might not be good and dandy for Chemical Plant or Seaside Hill, I think?). How disappointing.

Edit: I may be a smidge overexcited. *cough*
You know you can just play this level in Sonic Unleashed right? Unless they heavily edited the level, the only differences between it and this Generations mod is homing attack being on a different button, tricks and a better drift.
Now if it was a new level like modern Rooftop Run is or it included a classic Dragon Road I can understand, but you can play this level right now even though your computer can't run it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I want Starlight Carnival from Sonic Colors, it'll be a lot faster in the 2D segments without all the other stuff.

Interesting enough, that essentially is the only 1080p Sonic Unleashed at the moment.

Emitan

You know you can just play this level in Sonic Unleashed right? Unless they heavily edited the level, the only differences between it and this Generations mod is homing attack being on a different button, tricks and a better drift.
Now if it was a new level like modern Rooftop Run is or it included a classic Dragon Road I can understand, but you can play this level right now even though your computer can't run it.
There's a PC version of Unleashed?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I do, and I just did. And now that I've calmed down, I would have liked if they put their own spin on it aside from taking the Big Chaser out. They probably will if they're not doing a straight port. But the arranged versions for the hub world set my excitement into motion.

I mostly want to see how it feels with skills and tricks, tbh. It'll likely be much easier than the original Unleashed since it doesn't have that stuff (and since Generations can give you a lot of boost anyway with tricks). Plus it looks so gosh darn fun...

We've discussed that Unleashed's day levels were more skill-based than Colours and Generations, but I wonder if in Generations things like boost and homing attack became a little easier to handle. Obviously the drift feels better.

qq more said:
@OMG Aero: yeah but then you'd have to deal with the shitty werehog shit :( *is still planning to go through Unleashed someday though*
I still maintain that starting you off with poor strength balancing on the Werehog's behalf made the levels lengthy and a chore. Getting him up to max level is still a grind even when you're ripping Wentos off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom