• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

The first time Sonic and MegaMan will meet? Nonsense! They've met before:

normal_Mega_Sonic.png

[edit] Why does the Kotaku article quote say it's a movie? It's going to be a 12 part comic

Kokonoe

Banned
This year we have....

Sonic 4: episode 2
Sonic Adventure 2 HD in October
Sonic and All Stars Transformed in November

Frankly, Sonic Team taking their time with a new Sonic game is a very GOOD thing if you ask me.

Absolutely. When Sonic Team rushes, we get Sonic 2006. I'd rather they take their time and we have a game that's fun which lasts that much longer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay. I really don't get the hate behind the plushie. Japan--no, Hello Kitty, does this kind of crossover stuff all the time. I'm betting that if it were any other character, people in the main thread for this wouldn't be so freaked out?

Sonic is generally associated with negative stuff and that's because of a portion--a very loud portion--of its fanbase. Put Sonic and something else in the same sentence or phrase, and and people meet it with hostility, even if the thing being mentioned isn't even bad. It's just weird to me.

I dunno. I'd like to think of this thread as full of rational people who follow the series.

BlackJace said:
Also give us a handheld game too :p
Yes, please.

Green Scar said:
Nice choice of pic. "Happy birthdaGOD IS DEAD"
Sonic's face just looks like one of disappointment while staring at the cake, even if the mascot is depicting a smile.

Sciz

Okay. I really don't get the hate behind the plushie. Japan--no, Hello Kitty, does this kind of crossover stuff all the time. I'm betting that if it were any other character, people in the main thread for this wouldn't be so freaked out?

It just looks bizarre. Hello Kitty's always ridden a fine line between "cute" and "soulless horror", and the "stuff another character in Sonic's skin" style of crossover invariably comes off as the latter.

DeVeAn

@Dark Schala Are you collecting the "Digest Books" of the Sonic comics? I have a couple and seems like it would be easier to read these instead of the comic book. Gotta keep the comics in tip top shape lol.

DeVeAn

Mmmm. That's a shame. But at least I won't feel too terrible blocking him. I just don't want to take a chance blocking a troll and having it come back on me somehow.

The comment for the curious, was on this video, where I posted a download for those Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy maps somebody ported in to BlitzSonic:

Oh, I didn't realize you're Blazehedgehog on other sites.

ShadiWulf

i don't see anything wrong with a hello kitty sonic plush, it looks cute

also, updated my avatar, to reflect the new state of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Malajax

They've been pretty bad at all of them. Bugs me that they completely dismissed using the Wiimote and nunchuk as a control scheme.

They said that they liked the game, but they checked out in the last few parts. There was barely any discussion on the game itself.

Though I guess that's not what these are for.

BHZ Mayor

Random thought:

Hand-drawn Sonic > CGI Sonic

Also, reposting here to see what you guys think:

Probably not that mindblowing, but you know how Super Sonic was inspired by super saiyans in Dragon Ball Z, and how in Sonic 3, his eyes were turquoise just like a super saiyan?

Now you know how when regular Sonic got green eyes, Super Sonic went to red eyes?

Well it turns out, that in Akira Toriyama's concept art for the first Cooler movie, SSJ Goku's eyes are also red.

We know that Super Sonic in general was inspired by super saiyans, so is this further inspiration or mere coincidence? Probably the latter, but still pretty neat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pretty sure people generally dislike the Mega Man x Sonic crossover cuz it involves Sonic in general. I'll just voice that here instead of in that thread.

@Dark Schala Are you collecting the "Digest Books" of the Sonic comics? I have a couple and seems like it would be easier to read these instead of the comic book. Gotta keep the comics in tip top shape lol.
I'm actually thinking about replacing my old comics with those since they take up less space (and this isn't just limited to Sonic comics either; but I might keep my old Sailor Moon manga, and Marvel Mangaverse stuff). It's nice to have the older comics and all, but I could really use that space for other things.

I do keep my comics in bags with backing boards, though.

It should make noises upon squeezing its hand, ring dropping sfx, secret rings "oh no" statement, Werehog pit death scream among other similar sounds.
oh my god... I'm giggling just thinking about this!

Yo Sonic gaf. I got bored yesterday and I have no life so I did this.

Btw, I lurk this thread.
This takes "gotta go fast" to a whole 'nother level. Nice. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it happens in almost every single Sonic thread on GAF outside of this one (which is one of the reasons why we made a community thread in the first place), or it happens at the beginning of the thread until the participants dwindle down to the usual people.

You have people screaming "Sonic Cycle", "Sonic Generations was the only good game after Adventure", "green eyes", "something something Genesis", "Modern Sonic is crap merely based on his appearance alone", etc. Opinions are certainly subjective and can be backed up by good reasoning and I have no problem with that, but it gets kind of overbearing and annoying. Even if it's something harmless like a comic book crossover--which I bet a lot of people in that thread won't even read--some people are going to think it's the worst thing to happen to Mega Man merely because Sonic's involved; not taking into account how different the comics are from the games or anything.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that there still this stress on the dichotomy between the original Genesis type of platforming, and the type of playstyle which current Sonic games employ. I sort of thought Generations would remedy this somewhat, but I guess not?

To be fair, though, it's not like the skepticism is unwarranted after several games, especially one which was quite awful.

Sciz

Pretty sure people generally dislike the Mega Man x Sonic crossover cuz it involves Sonic in general. I'll just voice that here instead of in that thread.

Aside from the general Sonic dislike, I imagine a lot of the backlash in there is of the sort you see all over the place on the internet from people who checked out the series 10-15 years ago and assume nothing's changed since. Same problem the games have, come to think of it. And there's some who just legitimately dislike it, and that's fine, but some people have reaaaaaally outdated perceptions.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, it happens in almost every single Sonic thread on GAF outside of this one (which is one of the reasons why we made a community thread in the first place), or it happens at the beginning of the thread until the participants dwindle down to the usual people.

You have people screaming "Sonic Cycle", "Sonic Generations was the only good game after Adventure", "green eyes", "something something Genesis", "Modern Sonic is crap merely based on his appearance alone", etc. Opinions are certainly subjective and can be backed up by good reasoning and I have no problem with that, but it gets kind of overbearing and annoying. Even if it's something harmless like a comic book crossover--which I bet a lot of people in that thread won't even read--some people are going to think it's the worst thing to happen to Mega Man merely because Sonic's involved; not taking into account how different the comics are from the games or anything.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that there still this stress on the dichotomy between the original Genesis type of platforming, and the type of playstyle which current Sonic games employ. I sort of thought Generations would remedy this somewhat, but I guess not?

To be fair, though, it's not like the skepticism is unwarranted after several games, especially one which was quite awful.

To be honest, I think the issue with this is that unlike other boards (Sonic/Sega forums), Sonic and people's issues with the character hasn't been properly discussed in a way where things can be settled here on NeoGAF. If you go to these said boards, people have actually taken the time to understand what Sonic is doing, what the bad is, what the good is, and why things aren't what random news articles lead people to believe.

All in all, it's rather silly to be quite honest for it even to get this extent, but I've witnessed stuff like this before, and this is the type of content of which is irrational and immature, then understanding with difference in opinions. Perhaps I'll create a thread eventually when I harbor the will to converse these issues as I know what the issues are from being on said forums.

Mario gets away with a lot, and it's a bit unfair that Sonic is still getting this backlash. It surely makes it unwelcoming for fans of the franchise to post around without being labeled by what others have done.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aside from the general Sonic dislike, I imagine a lot of the backlash in there is of the sort you see all over the place on the internet from people who checked out the series 10-15 years ago and assume nothing's changed since. Same problem the games have, come to think of it. And there's some who just legitimately dislike it, and that's fine, but some people have reaaaaaally outdated perceptions.
Yeah. Some of the backlash, specifically for the comic, comes from people who have never read it before and assume that it's merely bad fanfiction. It may have been something like that before Flynn came along, but now they're pretty decent.

Heck, we had a few people in this thread alone saying that Sega's not gonna fool them again and assumed the worst about Generations.

To be honest, I think the issue with this is that unlike other boards (Sonic/Sega forums), Sonic and people's issues with the character hasn't been properly discussed in a way where things can be settled here on NeoGAF. If you go to these said boards, people have actually taken the time to understand what Sonic is doing, what the bad is, what the good is, and why things aren't what random news articles lead people to believe.

All in all, it's rather silly to be quite honest for it even to get this extent, but I've witnessed stuff like this before, and this is the type of content of which is irrational and immature, then understanding with difference in opinions. Perhaps I'll create a thread eventually when I harbor the will to converse these issues as I know what the issues are from being on said forums.

Mario gets away with a lot, and it's a bit unfair that Sonic is still getting this backlash. It surely makes it unwelcoming for fans of the franchise to post around without being labeled by what others have done.
Well, it's kind of hard to discuss this stuff on GAF without a dissenting opinion from the other side being louder and stronger than those trying discuss it in a rational and meaningful way.

The day levels in Unleashed were fine -- no, Werehog is shit, and thus the entirety of Unleashed's levels are crap (excluding the hub worlds and medal hunting, of course).

Colours was a pretty good, cohesive game -- who cares, it was on the Wii.

Generations was a very wonderful way of celebrating 20 years of the series -- uh-huh, and how many of those years were crap? And half of the game is that modern Sonic lock-on nonsense.

[insert physics debate here; Sonic 4's quality is representative of the current state of the series.]

Edit: [post shitty fanart here, because it's so funny, right?]

And so on. There's this sort of closed-mindedness I notice in threads that concern Sonic, and it's kind of irritating. Some people bring up the Sonic Cycle which is only used for a certain type of Sonic game (which hasn't even been developed lately) and attribute it to the entire series. It's fine if people really dislike the series. No problems there. It's just that when people make assumptions that the series hasn't changed since the Adventure games or since Heroes/Shadow/Sonic 2006, then we have some major problems.

And you're right--Mario gets away with a ton (though I don't think so much after this E3 since people were complaining about Mario being everywhere). Sega gets the "Sonic should take a rest" and "100 shitty friends" stuff, but, well, Mario... kind of has similar things going on with it. To be fair, though, Mario hasn't really been stuck in a deep rut like Sonic was.

Well, who doesn't.

People with taste. BUUUUUUUUUURN

Also said in the other thread but this sounds like a really fun idea, and it's surprising just how many parrallels there are between classic Mega Man and Sonic. Only weird thing I guess is whereas the Archie MM comic is fairly close to the original games' plot (someone correct me if it isn't; I only read the first couple of issues), Sonic's is a big melting pot of everything from the games to various different cartoon incarnations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, watch your language!

Oh wait, you did. Sorry.
KuGsj.gif

But really, I wasn't very surprised that the thread would go down that route because some people on GAF have a rather irrational dislike of Sonic in general based on past mistakes.

And Sonic threads in general were going along so well until this one because people refrained from posting silly fan art in those.

Astrosanity said:
Only weird thing I guess is whereas the Archie MM comic is fairly close to the original games' plot (someone correct me if it isn't; I only read the first couple of issues)
The current arc is taking elements from Super Adventure Rockman's plot, so some side stuff is in there. For the comic to go on, they will have to branch out a bit from just doing adaptations. It's likely going to start when SU and Mega Man roll over into new arcs so the inconsistencies aren't as obvious.

Drago

Well that thread is going well :|

So many people really have refused to give Sonic another chance. A lot of BS in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom