• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looks like Ralph from Wreck-it Ralph is going to be in All-Stars Racing.

Ken Balough's just announced Sonic Adventure 2 formally.

They did, they just didn't care as much and Archie wasn't exercising any quality control. They only got away with killing Robotnik in #50 by promising to bring him back within twenty-five issues (guess who returned in #75), and the issue that slipped in a Sonic OVA reference got them an extremely stern "do this again and we will pull the license"-grade warning in return.
I had no idea that ever happened. Why, though? Was the OVA horribly received or something, or was it just a licensing issue? Killing Robotnik in #50 kind of made way for Eggman, so... The only thing is that they had to do it in a strange sort of fashion.

It's a more elegant solution than trying to fully adapt and integrate a game in the main series (which they swore off doing after Sonic Adventure for a reason), but you run into a couple of problems, ignoring the logistical ones of producing and distributing extra issues.

The first and probably most damning is that it's just really hard to adapt a video game to a comic. The one-off specials never, ever came close to conveying the full scope of whatever scenario they were based on, and the Death Egg trilogy didn't fare much better. More recently, the Genesis arc and Mega Man game arcs chewed through their material lightning fast, and the source material isn't exactly plot-heavy. You just can't get a satisfying story out of it that accurately reflects the material.

The second problem is that the series has diverged far enough from the game universe that it's terribly awkward trying to make a plot from one directly mesh with the other. SA2, Rush, Rush Adventure, and I think Riders 1 all technically happened in continuity, though trying to figure out how they actually fit into the otherwise fairly tight plotting is nigh-impossible. It's a small miracle that Sega didn't mandate a Shadow or Sonic '06 storyline. Throwing the game plots out entirely and cherrypicking elements from them over time is just a much more organic way to fold them into the series.

So, as intrusive as they are, if they have no choice but to do these promos, the Another time, Another Place method is the least painful way to go about it. They just shouldn't be eating entire issues for the aforementioned reason and because this isn't what I'm buying these series for. :mad:
Huh, too bad. The extra issues were, what, 64 pages or so? They certainly weren't faithful to the games, but there's only so much you could do in that amount. At the time, though, I don't remember disliking the Death Egg Saga, but that was three issues. But since they have SU, MM and StH going on, it would be kind of difficult for them to spread themselves thin for another on-going thing to add in a game adaptation, so maybe working them into the canon is their feasible way of doing it.

That's another point--the comic series is way different from the games, with a lot of stuff going on. It's kind of difficult to integrate the SatAM/AoStH stuff with the Japanese stuff because they're way different at times. It ends up feeling very disjointed with a wtf thing going on.

Kinda too bad that the SSSMs are just compilations of older issues with a very very very short tie-in, if any, as Sonic 4: Episode II's stuff proved.

How can they even fully integrate the games when the comics have so many side characters? All of them go on vacation while the main characters do everything?
Pretty much. Way back they were just their own little issues taking place at a certain time period or they reference them a little in the main comic series as if they happened prior to the issue. These ones announced seem to be a retelling of an event taking place at another time which may not necessarily be the period before the next issue or after the previous issue, I guess.

Sciz

How can they even fully integrate the games when the comics have so many side characters? All of them go on vacation while the main characters do everything?

They really can't. Their best shot at it, the SA1 arc, took the subset of characters that are actually important plus everyone necessary for the game (introducing Big in the process), shipped them halfway across the world, and proceeded to play the plot fairly straight by having the comic characters do nothing of importance for several issues. It also had to go through some spectacularly torturous leaps of logic to justify the existence of Station Square (which is a lost city inside a mountain with climate control, an artificial sky, and a self-contained economy) and had to substitute the Master Emerald shards for the Chaos Emeralds, since there wasn't a definite set of seven of them at the time. And it didn't help that they were working off of Spaz's half-baked translation of an imported Japanese copy of the game. The whole thing was such an ordeal that they swore off ever doing it again, so several of the games just quietly happened offscreen and the relevant characters showed up without fanfare.

I had no idea that ever happened. Why, though? Was the OVA horribly received or something, or was it just a licensing issue?
Probably licensing. The rights are likely co-owned by Studio Pierrot, the production company, and the last thing Sega wanted to do was get into a lawsuit because one of their licensees was making silly references.

Huh, too bad. The extra issues were, what, 64 pages or so?

Is this honestly more surprising than the NASCAR lady?

Well no, not really. Especially considering Sonic and Eggman's presence in the movie.

I'm just hoping these characters are just roster bonuses that aren't taking the place of any potential Sega characters. (I want Ristar, dammit! :/)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welp.

This is... better than that racing lady? I guess? Like, I'm looking forward to the movie, but I can't help but to think that that extra roster space going to advertise people/things who have nothing to do with ASR should have been used for other Sega characters.

Sciz said:
And it didn't help that they were working off of Spaz's half-baked translation of an imported Japanese copy of the game.
Oh lord...
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, you're right (had to dismantle a pile of comics to see that). Why did I think 64? Must've been something to do with some other comic books at the time...

Emitan

They really can't. Their best shot at it, the SA1 arc, took the subset of characters that are actually important plus everyone necessary for the game (introducing Big in the process), shipped them halfway across the world, and proceeded to play the plot fairly straight by having the comic characters do nothing of importance for several issues. It also had to go through some spectacularly torturous leaps of logic to justify the existence of Station Square (which is a lost city inside a mountain with climate control, an artificial sky, and a self-contained economy) and had to substitute the Master Emerald shards for the Chaos Emeralds, since there wasn't a definite set of seven of them at the time. And it didn't help that they were working off of Spaz's half-baked translation of an imported Japanese copy of the game. The whole thing was such an ordeal that they swore off ever doing it again.

Probably licensing. The rights are likely co-owned by Studio Pierrot, the production company, and the last thing Sega wanted to do was get into a lawsuit because one of their licensees was making silly references.

This sounds familiar. I think I finally quit the comics around that point. I do remember reading an issue based around SA2 at some point so I suppose I still bought the occasional issue.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well no, not really. Especially considering Sonic and Eggman's presence in the movie.

I'm just hoping these characters are just roster bonuses that aren't taking the place of any potential Sega characters. (I want Ristar, dammit! :/)

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've read a lot of the Sumo employees posts on the SEGA forum about Ristar, and I'd say it's a pretty good chance he'll be in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am getting ASR for Vyse. (on that note, I wonder who voices him?)

This roster really needs more Ecco and Segata Sanshiro. Or maybe Sakura Shinguji, or Alis or Rolf. Basically more Sega peeps who aren't Sonic.

Drago

Wait, Sonic is in the movie too? I thought it was just Eggman.

Awesome if true

Kokonoe

Banned

This roster really needs more Ecco and Segata Sanshiro. Or maybe Sakura Shinguji, or Alis or Rolf. Basically more Sega peeps who aren't Sonic.

I'm getting it because the first game is my favorite Kart Racer. I don't really mind which characters gets in or not because I'm just not really worried about the characters that much. Although I do have to say that I think Ecco shouldn't get in because it's just a literal Dolphin and nothing else.

I'd rather they use the slot on something a bit more interesting, or at least a character that isn't as such. Probably appearing in a level would be more appropriate.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, Sonic is in the movie too? I thought it was just Eggman.

Awesome if true
Yes.

We then follow Ralph to the central terminal where characters can travel from game to game. Sonic the Hedgehog is
featured on a PSA telling characters to be careful not to die in a game that isn’t their own as there will be no regenerating afterward. Here, Ralph is accosted by a security check (not once but twice), and shows a bit of heart when he gives one of his cherries to a down-and-out Q*bert, whose game had been unplugged.
Spoilered it for people who don't want to have the movie spoiled.

I'm getting it because the first game is my favorite Kart Racer. I don't really mind which characters gets in or not because I'm just not really worried about the characters that much. Although I do have to say that I think Ecco shouldn't get in because it's just a literal Dolphin and nothing else.

I'd rather they use the slot on something interesting.
Well, I'm not just getting it for Vyse. ;) I'm expecting it to be pretty fun and interesting because of all the stuff they added in.

I was thinking of Ecco because of the water transformations... but for animations and stuff and transformations (it'd be more logical for Ecco to not be in a kart in the water), it might be hard to actually implement the character. I can see an Ecco-themed track being more likely, though.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I'm not just getting it for Vyse. ;) I'm expecting it to be pretty fun and interesting because of all the stuff they added in.

I was thinking of Ecco because of the water transformations... but for animations and stuff and transformations (it'd be more logical for Ecco to not be in a kart in the water), it might be hard to actually implement the character. I can see an Ecco-themed track being more likely, though.

Ah, I didn't mean to imply as such. With the transformation I think even Opa-Opa might not make the cut this time.
I never really knew about Opa-Opa before that last game, but it was interesting to play as. I just think while Ecco may have had some decent games, in the end it's hard to tell it a part from a video game character.

I mean, I'm still gonna get the game, just probably not as immediately as I had planned on doing. Vyse, NiGHTS and the general details of the game so far sound really good but the out-of-left-field guest characters have been kinda anti-hype.

Next revealed racer to be Yuji Naka

Nah, too many ties to Sega. Gotta be a bit more out there.

if Ralph is an extra like Danica, then we still have 12 more unannounced racers and about 4 months to go, so we'll them all eventually(this includes any potential leaks).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I doubt that Sega would even acknowledge Sakura Taisen, nor Shining, for that matter. Phantasy Star, though, maybe.

Ah, I didn't mean to imply as such. With the transformation I think even Opa-Opa might not make the cut this time.
I never really knew about Opa-Opa before that last game, but it was interesting to play as. I just think while Ecco may have had some decent games, in the end it's hard to tell it a part from a video game character.
Nah, it's alright. Opa-Opa, I don't think, would fit with the transformation aspect either, but I think the character might be able to manage most facets of the game in terms of environments. Even if some characters don't make it in, I'd appreciate some stages for their respective games.

I mean, I'm still gonna get the game, just probably not as immediately as I had planned on doing. Vyse, NiGHTS and the general details of the game so far sound really good but the out-of-left-field guest characters have been kinda anti-hype.
Mario/Link announced for ASR Transformed Wii U? :p (probably will be a Mii again)

Kinda expecting spots dedicated to different platform-specific characters.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's not about SEGA acknowledging, SUMO purposely goes out of it's way to acknowledge characters that aren't used. They mentioned that even though Big The Cat is no longer being used, that would only encourage them to put it in the game. SUMO can be random with the selections.

Well, Sumo's been incredibly receptive to fan demand in the past, so I'm hoping they'll stick in some of the more requested characters for the first game in.

I recall some site interviewing Sumo and suggesting Axel and/or Blaze in a Police Cruiser with the rocket from Streets of Rage 1 as the All Star move. That would be pretty damned rad.

At this point I wish somebody could get Ian Flynn to write the plot to a Sonic game. I would probably not mind if the "Archie Universe" replaced the "Game Universe" and Ian wrote all future Sonic games, forever.

I mean, what would we be losing that is so important? Arguably nothing.

I doubt that Sega would even acknowledge Sakura Taisen, nor Shining, for that matter. Phantasy Star, though, maybe.

Nah, it's alright. Opa-Opa, I don't think, would fit with the transformation aspect either, but I think the character might be able to manage most facets of the game in terms of environments. Even if some characters don't make it in, I'd appreciate some stages for their respective games.

Mario/Link announced for ASR Transformed Wii U? :p (probably will be a Mii again)

Kinda expecting spots dedicated to different platform-specific characters.
We all know Kirby is getting a spot.

OMG Aero

Looks like Ralph from Wreck-it Ralph is going to be in All-Stars Racing.
I guess we know why it isn't SEGA All-Stars Racing any more.

Here's an idea: tag team character. When you are in an air section you fly around as Opa-Opa, then when you get to a water section he tags out and Ecco jumps in, then when you get to a land section Ecco tags out and, I dunno, the car from Outrun or Daytona jumps in and takes over.

qq more

There's gonna be a re-release of Before The Sequel? Sweet, I hope it addresses the issues I had with the game. It was decent but half of the levels felt pretty bland sometimes.

ShadiWulf

more tidbits that have been revealed about the Iizuka-san Q&A

- Marine will never be coming back

- Iizuka says hes aware that people think the recent games are too short, and says not to worry too much about the story of Sonic games

Leave it to iizuka-san, hes the professional

This is bad. People thinking that Sonic games are too short is what led to the werehog and stupid medal collecting in Unleashed.
Yeah, this news gives me the shivers, maybe the few outspoken folks demanding Sonic Adventure 3 will get their filler filled wishes granted and I will weep sorrowfully.

Sciz

At this point I wish somebody could get Ian Flynn to write the plot to a Sonic game. I would probably not mind if the "Archie Universe" replaced the "Game Universe" and Ian wrote all future Sonic games, forever.

I mean, what would we be losing that is so important? Arguably nothing.
You'd lose the useful virtually blank slate that is Sega canon and not gain much of use in return. Ian would do a spectacular job though, no question there. As long as they're already using Western writers, they might as well tap the one that's already a Sega employee by proxy anyway.

Yeah, Falk does some great stuff. This was a fun experiment of his too:

http://youtu.be/TjtXrKpW7G4
oh ho, no wonder the hub tracks are so good.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
- Iizuka says hes aware that people think the recent games are too short, and says not to worry too much about the story of Sonic games

I don't mind them putting more content into Sonic games unless it means more of those half-assed side missions from Generations or the awful werehog garbage from Unleashed. More levels, dammit, not more shitty filler.

This is good.

This is bad. People thinking that Sonic games are too short is what led to the werehog and stupid medal collecting in Unleashed.

Yeah, that kinda scares me, too. I really hope they don't go back to trying to pad future games with a bunch of nonsense just to extend the playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom