• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

@OMG Aero: yeah but then you'd have to deal with the shitty werehog shit :( *is still planning to go through Unleashed someday though*
Can't you just download a completed save from the internet and do level select or something?

There's a PC version of Unleashed?
If people are in this thread discussing Sonic games I am going to go out on a limb and say there is a 90% chance they have either a 360 or a PS3.

Sciz

If people are in this thread discussing Sonic games I am going to go out on a limb and say there is a 90% chance they have either a 360 or a PS3.
Color me part of the 10%, then. A PC and Nintendo hardware covers the majority of what's been released in the last several years.

And besides, Unleashed at 60 fps is a proposition everyone should want to experience.

You know you can just play this level in Sonic Unleashed right? Unless they heavily edited the level, the only differences between it and this Generations mod is homing attack being on a different button, tricks and a better drift.
Now if it was a new level like modern Rooftop Run is or it included a classic Dragon Road I can understand, but you can play this level right now even though your computer can't run it.

Don't be a party pooper! This has benefits in terms of image quality, framerate, etc. It also cannot be an exact, 1:1 port by nature, so there are some differences, specifically toward the end of the stage.

It's a good, quality level to play in a game that deserved and never got appropriate DLC expansions. It's not like we're awash with user-created content yet either, especially not of this degree of polish.

For now, it's a window in to a PC version of Sonic Unleashed that we never got. That should be cool enough.

Finally got up to #40 in Sonic Universe.

Well damn, that was kind of a dark way to end things. Eggman's face in that "You brought your A-game and I still won" panel kinda creeps me the hell out.

With that said, I think I like Universe more than the main comic. The four issue arc structure is working pretty damn well for them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it can't be the entirety of Unleashed since the moddb page says that the project's only going to be for most of the daytime levels. Question is if it's only limited to the first (ie: main game, not optional) daytime levels, because the extra ones could be challenges or something.

Mix it up a little bit and play with Generations' dawn/day/dusk/night backgrounds/filters and maybe we'll get an interesting Sonic-only spin on Unleashed. The Night levels obviously can't be ported 1:1 because they're puzzle-based and uses slower platforming.

Kokonoe said:
Walking on water is certainly better in Generations.
Especially since it sorta feels a little easier to get boost since you're not levelling Sonic. It's too bad they can't get something like Jungle Joyride done since it would be a pretty good demonstration of this outside of Dragon Road.

Rlan

1221067_ful.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #242
"(W) Ian Flynn (A) Terry Austin & Various (CA) Tracy Yardley & Various

'Olympic Trials.' It's a special event issue in honor of the Summer 2012 Olympic games! Sonic and his friends are preparing for the ultimate contest of sportsmanship, but Dr. Eggman plots from the shadows to take more than the gold! All this plus an exciting bonus story featuring Sonic the Hedgehog, Team Fighters, and the prelude to a certain Rad Red return!"

1221068_ful.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #45
"(W) Ian Flynn (A) Jim Amash & Various (CA) Stephen Downer & Various

'Race for the Stars.' It's a special tie-in event as Sonic Universe showcases Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed! Racers from across the SEGA games have come together for the second annual All-Stars Gran Prix! But the nefarious Dr. Eggman has joined the roster and plans on not only conquering the race, but multiple worlds as well! It's the first game crossover event in Sonic Universe history - and it's only available in this special stand-alone issue!"

1221066_ful.jpg

SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE #5
"(W/A) Various (CA) Tracy Yardley & Various

The Sonic Super Special Magazine just got an extra dose of super! Because you demanded it, this special bonus issue of the first ever Sonic comic magazine in Archie history presents your favorite Sonic comic artwork as 24 pull-out pin-up posters! Also featuring tons of comics, news, features, never-before-seen artwork and a brand-new multicolor-foil enhanced cover by Sonic artist extraordinaire Tracy Yardley! Sonic super-fans will also be treated with part five of the Sonic Time Line, featuring more brand-new art from Tracy Yardley and Matt Herms!"

1221065_ful.jpg

SONIC SUPER DIGEST #1
"(CA) Tracy Yardley
"(W) Ian Flynn (A/CA) Patrick Spaz Spaziante

The adventure begins in this monumental first issue! For the first time in Sonic comic history, Sonic the Hedgehog's adventures are now available in the popular magazine digest format, the best Sonic value ever! Where Sonic Super Special Magazine leaves off, this quarterly digest collection picks up with even more classic adventure from the Sonic comic library! Packed with non-stop action, comedy and adventure this digest features tons of heroes and villains from the Sonic The Hedgehog games and cartoons! Perfect for fans new and old, Sonic Super Digest collects tons of comic stories, coloring pages, bonus content, and features an all-new cover by Sonic artist supreme Tracy Yardley!"

1221348_ful.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCHIVES TP VOL 19
"(W) Ian Flynn (A/CA) Patrick Spaz Spaziante

Archie's bestselling Sonic Archives series is back! Signaling a momentous change for the Sonic the Hedgehog comics, Sonic the Hedgehog Archives 19 features flashbacks, time-twisting plots, and the dreaded return of Sonic's deadliest villain! And the changes don't stop there - even Sonic himself is transformed in this thrilling new volume that transitions classic Sonic the Hedgehog with the current look of the modern Sega Sonic games! Sonic Archives Volume 19 collects issues #71-74 of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book."

1221349_ful.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GENESIS TP Hardcover
"(W) Ian Flynn (A) Patrick Spaz Spaziante & Various (CA) Patrick Spaz Spaziante

It's the most talked-about story in Sonic the Hedgehog comic book history! Featuring an all-new beginning to the Sonic mythology, this highly anticipated reboot finds Sonic the Hedgehog investigating the disappearance of many woodland creatures and the sudden appearance of an army of badniks with a mysterious leader. Sonic makes new friends along the way as he leads the charge against the evil Dr. 'Eggman' Robotnik! For new fans or die-hard Sonic devotees, Sonic: Genesis is the quintessential Sonic comic story!"

I'm going to guess Mario and co. aren't going to appear in that Olympics tie-in?

It'd pave the way for a Archie Mario series or even that Donkey Kong Country series they were considering at one point

BlackJace

Holy freaking shit. Generations PC is gorgeous at 1080p. Feels silky smooth at 60fps, too. Makes me wonder why I bought the console version.

Kokonoe

Banned
^ Looks like Radical Highway, but it might be 3DS cause I think I see Sonic.

Holy freaking shit. Generations PC is gorgeous at 1080p. Feels silky smooth at 60fps, too. Makes me wonder why I bought the console version.

It was that game and others which made me recently become a PC gamer mainly.
Never realized how important 60 FPS was until Generations.

Just gave the Dragon Road demo a go. While it's still a bit on the bleh side for me (don't think Unleashed's daytime stages were particularly well-designed among several other things), it's still nice to play a bit of Unleashed with a much faster framerate, higher resolution and simply better controls. I mean, the art and sound design for Unleashed was still top-notch, so that's something.

It'll be neat to see what if anything they do for classic Sonic; had fun dicking around in the nighttime variant as him for a few minutes.

BlackJace

^ Looks like Radical Highway, but it might be 3DS cause I think I see Sonic.

It was that game and others which made me recently become a PC gamer mainly.
Never realized how important 60 FPS was until Generations.

Yea the slowdown in the console version irritated me. Framerates are more important to me than resolution.

Sciz

Finally got up to #40 in Sonic Universe.

Well damn, that was kind of a dark way to end things. Eggman's face in that "You brought your A-game and I still won" panel kinda creeps me the hell out.

With that said, I think I like Universe more than the main comic. The four issue arc structure is working pretty damn well for them.

#40 ends beautifully, although I suspect it's going to be a bit jarring rereading the series and going straight from that to the concentrated snark of #41.

And... yeah, I think I agree about Universe in general. The format wouldn't work in the main book for a variety of reasons, but it's been really nice having a series where the faces change on a regular basis and the plot always gets wrapped up neatly in short order. It never gets mired in any one tone for too long.

It's a special event issue in honor of the Summer 2012 Olympic games!

It's a special tie-in event as Sonic Universe showcases Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed!

what in the hell

Excuse me, I'm going to go be confused now.

edit: Ian chimes in:

Ian Flynn said:
Yeah, we figured fans might not be too-too pleased with an entire month of mandated tie-ins. That's why we previewed the Chaotix/Mighty arc and teased the Knux arc.

The tie-in stories will still be fun (yes, with Vyse!), but for those of you wanting plot-related stuff, sit tight. You can see we've got great stuff coming.

qq more

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/07/sonic-boom-live-blog/

"First bit of news to come out of Sonic Boom tonight, during a Sonic Team Q&A, Takashi Iizuka has clarified the status of three Sonic characters: Silver and Eggman Nega ARE from the future, while Blaze is from an alternate dimension."

Well, I guess that's that.

But... isn't Eggman Nega from Blaze's dimension?

I... I don't get Iizuka and I don't get why they even bother with story.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think I played a Rivals game once, I'm not sure which one it was, but it was a few years back. I just know I stopped playing after a few minutes because there was something about it that wasn't in my personal liking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Classic Sonic in night levels seems like a cool idea to me.
I can see what they want to do with it (and from that perspective, it seems okay), but it's extremely nauseating. Pull the camera back, at least, if it's possible. I felt pretty dizzy after watching that.

edit: Ian chimes in:
Are all the tie-ins a result of Sega basically saying "do this to promote the game" or something? I don't mind the issues, but I'd prefer if they relegated them to Sonic Super Specials like they did a long time ago so that the comic proper doesn't get... disjointed.

(I wanna see if Flynn'll do a good job with Vyse.)

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/07/sonic-boom-live-blog/

"First bit of news to come out of Sonic Boom tonight, during a Sonic Team Q&A, Takashi Iizuka has clarified the status of three Sonic characters: Silver and Eggman Nega ARE from the future, while Blaze is from an alternate dimension."

Well, I guess that's that.
Why does he even bother.

We all know that Iizuka is crappy at PR and probably says stuff from the top of his head when prompted.

Kokonoe

Banned
I stopped considering the storyline/lore had much of any value when Shadow The Hedgehog came out. (Possibly Sonic Heroes too)
Too many things don't make sense, and trying to make them make sense will only confuse you even more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I almost want to ask whether or not people play Sonic games for the narrative and canon, and then I remembered that there certainly is a group of people who do.

Sciz

Are all the tie-ins a result of Sega basically saying "do this to promote the game" or something? I don't mind the issues, but I'd prefer if they relegated them to Sonic Super Specials like they did a long time ago so that the comic proper doesn't get... disjointed.

Yeah, Sega has the final say on what can, can't, and occasionally will happen in the comic. Archie argued them down to keeping the tie-ins out of canon a few years back, but it looks like the powers that be are willing to sacrifice entire issues now in turn.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Mario guy looks like he tried to stealth his way in. :lol

Yeah, Sega has the final say on what can, can't, and occasionally will happen in the comic. Archie argued them down to keeping the tie-ins out of canon a few years back, but it looks like the powers that be are willing to sacrifice entire issues now in turn.
Wonder if Sega had that much pull way back in the 1990s/early 2000s because it sorta seemed like Archie did whatever (including the Knuckles stuff). After the Sonic CD Adaptation being issue 25 (which sorta worked well in the end), it seemed more logical to keep the game adaptations as their separate issues only to be referenced within the comic canon because the comic canon just seemed to do its own thing independent/slightly referencing the games.

At least, I think it was better that way. It's not completely canon and it's something that could be referenced lightly. With the adaptations being proper issues, it seems it truly is part of the canon instead of a one-off. It seems really weird for the interruptions for the StH and SU comics because there's a lot of stuff going on right now.

Weirder since ASR is just one issue and SU is comfortably in 4-issue arcs. Next arc would start at #46. :/

ShadiWulf

was talking with my friend nuckles87 whos at sonic boom, got sonic adventure 3 info! sorta!

Neko Fluff says (11:03 PM)
no sonic adventure 3 questions? i submitted one, guess they didnt ask it
Nuckles 87 says (11:04 PM)
Oh
Uhhh
There was one of thse
They said if there was enough demand for it, it's posible
Neko Fluff says (11:04 PM)
ok that means they are doing it then
he said that a long time ago too
XD

Sciz

Wonder if Sega had that much pull way back in the 1990s/early 2000s because it sorta seemed like Archie did whatever (including the Knuckles stuff).

They did, they just didn't care as much and Archie wasn't exercising any quality control. They only got away with killing Robotnik in #50 by promising to bring him back within twenty-five issues (guess who returned in #75), and the issue that slipped in a Sonic OVA reference got them an extremely stern "do this again and we will pull the license"-grade warning in return.

At least, I think it was better that way. It's not completely canon and it's something that could be referenced lightly. With the adaptations being proper issues, it seems it truly is part of the canon instead of a one-off.
It's a more elegant solution than trying to fully adapt and integrate a game in the main series (which they swore off doing after Sonic Adventure for a reason), but you run into a couple of problems, ignoring the logistical ones of producing and distributing extra issues.

The first and probably most damning is that it's just really hard to adapt a video game to a comic. The one-off specials never, ever came close to conveying the full scope of whatever scenario they were based on, and the Death Egg trilogy didn't fare much better. More recently, the Genesis arc and Mega Man game arcs chewed through their material lightning fast, and the source material isn't exactly plot-heavy. You just can't get a satisfying story out of it that accurately reflects the material.

The second problem is that the series has diverged far enough from the game universe that it's terribly awkward trying to make a plot from one directly mesh with the other. SA2, Rush, Rush Adventure, and I think Riders 1 all technically happened in continuity, though trying to figure out how they actually fit into the otherwise fairly tight plotting is nigh-impossible. It's a small miracle that Sega didn't mandate a Shadow or Sonic '06 storyline. Throwing the game plots out entirely and cherrypicking elements from them over time is just a much more organic way to fold them into the series.

So, as intrusive as they are, if they have no choice but to do these promos, the Another time, Another Place method is the least painful way to go about it. They just shouldn't be eating entire issues for the aforementioned reason and because this isn't what I'm buying these series for. :mad:

Emitan

How can they even fully integrate the games when the comics have so many side characters? All of them go on vacation while the main characters do everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom