• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the SA2 announcement trailer that was played yesterday.

Just watch it, even if you don't care one bit about SA2 and are clinically allergic to offscreen footage.
Hah that was pretty amusing, the trailer that is not the fans going balls crazy for a no doubt barely altered re release of an okay at best game they likely already knew about.

So is it just me or does SA2 have that more love than the first SA among most Sonic fans, this is not a statement on which is better but I get the impression 2 has much more fans, maybe it's because I can't imagine the people going bananas if that were SA1.

Hah that was pretty amusing, the trailer that is not the fans going balls crazy for a no doubt barely altered re release of an okay at best game they likely already knew about.

So is it just me or does SA2 have that more love than the first SA among most Sonic fans, this is not a statement on which is better but I get the impression 2 has much more fans, maybe it's because I can't imagine the people going bananas if that were SA1.
SA2 brought in shadow, has a better chao world, grinding, sexy rogue and to end it sonic and shadow both use the chaos emeralds.

Drago

Why is there a hedgehog for every single name? lol

Anyways, that trailer for SA2 was glorious. Hope an official version gets posted online.

Can't wait to get addicted to Chao Gardens again... ughh

My dream is to make the most over-loaded and complex Chao raising sim possible. Seriously. Standalone, different ways to train your Chao (interesting and interactive, allowing you to acquire Chaos Drives, upgrade stats via the activities themselves, etc.), and a bunch of online features.

Plus nostalgic Chao Gardens from past games. I always loved the way the gardens looked in SA1, so they'd get top-billing.

Drago

I'd buy a full-blown, online Chao garden where there are 10 or so gardens, loads of customizable features, Chao games galore and compatibility with 3DS/Vita/phones, with the ability to share the gardens with friends, both locally and online, and take care of them together. Plus complete versions of both the SA1 and 2 gardens.

I'd never need another game ever again.

BlackJace

I didn't know GAF doesn't like SA2 all that much. Yeah, it's not the best game, but it's not the turd people are making it out to be.

I'd buy a full-blown, online Chao garden where there are 10 or so gardens, loads of customizable features, Chao games galore and compatibility with 3DS/Vita/phones, with the ability to share the gardens with friends, both locally and online, and take care of them together. Plus complete versions of both the SA1 and 2 gardens.

I'd never need another game ever again.
On top of that: detailed Chao statistics, more Chao variations and types, improved sports facilities and prizes, scalable game engine for multiple platforms, online leaderboards, online sports and games, etc.

So much could be done with that kind of game. If they paired it with the inclusion of the Nightopians and their A-LIFE system
and Chaos' altar from SA1
, my life would be over.

Sciz

I didn't know GAF doesn't like SA2 all that much. Yeah, it's not the best game, but it's not the turd people are making it out to be.

It's... not a bad game, necessarily, but it's really not a good Sonic game and set the tone for the series' swan dive straight off a cliff in the five years that followed.

It's... not a bad game, necessarily, but it's really not a good Sonic game and set the tone for the series' swan dive straight off a cliff in the five years that followed.

Pretty much my thoughts. I might have actually bit if they added online multiplayer, but as it stands, I'm skipping this. Don't really care about the Chao Garden, either.

ShadiWulf

it seems that whoever reported Marine was axed is wrong, Iizuka-san has plans for Marine

if Marine the Raccoon will return (there are some plans, but nothing concrete. Fan reaction toward her was rather mixed.)

also, some clarification on the story / adventure 3 comment

if Sonic should have a established timeline (games form their own little timelines, so try not to think about it too hard), and if Iizuka will ever make a Sonic Adventure 3 (echoed by a crowd chant so strong, even Iizuka was floored by it. No plans, but they hope with fan support it might happen one day.)

http://www.sonicretro.org/2012/07/sonic-boom-2012-the-aftermath/

TheOGB

Banned
I AM THE ONLY PERSON (outside a Sonic forum) EXCITED ABOUT PLANS FOR MARINE

Seriously, I don't get the hate. She's like Pinkie Pie. What's the deal

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Falk does some great stuff. This was a fun experiment of his too:

http://youtu.be/TjtXrKpW7G4
This is... like... Dude should really try to get into games composition. I'm pretty impressed.

- Iizuka says hes aware that people think the recent games are too short, and says not to worry too much about the story of Sonic games

Leave it to iizuka-san, hes the professional
Oh... oh, Iizuka-sama.

On a serious note, though, I'd rather them be short and have stuff for replayability (score attack, time attack, etc) than have several different modes for different characters who just don't work well in the game. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at the very least had stuff that differentiated them in different modes.

Alright, that was pretty cute. I really enjoyed that.

And I'm psyched about SA2. I don't think it's the bestest thing in the world, but I don't think it's this unplayable mass of mess akin to Sonic 2006 which people are trying to make it out to be. With that said, though, neither of the Adventure games aged well.

'Masters of Secrecy'? At least they have some self-deprecating humour over at Sega :lol A nice announcement I guess, although I would rather have had Sonic 3 + Knuckles on PSN :(
Me too. Is there a reason why this hasn't happened yet?

BHZ Mayor

more tidbits that have been revealed about the Iizuka-san Q&A

- Marine will never be coming back

- Iizuka says hes aware that people think the recent games are too short, and says not to worry too much about the story of Sonic games

Leave it to iizuka-san, hes the professional

This is what led to "shitty friends." However, this also led to the challenges in Generations. Hopefully future games stick with that route.

Kokonoe

Banned
I know Sonic levels in the current system are a lot more difficult to make than Mario levels, but they should try to jam pack a lot of levels in the game like Mario does anyways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He works at dSonic now, who provide audio for a fuckton of games. :)
That's good. I just checked and it appears they seem to do a lot of SFX, ambience, and voice processing work? They should really do more music, especially with a guy like that on-board.

I'd like to see them tackle more melodic audio than ambience.

Rumour had it there was some sort of brouhaha between Sony and Sega, causing trouble for a lot of planned HD versions of old Sega games for PSN. But supposedly Sonic 3 would be coming.

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/09/08/source-sonic-3-but-not-sk-coming-to-psn-soon/
Aw, that's a shame. It's too bad Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection doesn't have the lock-on stuff for S3+S&K.

DeVeAn

I got to play SAR:T at comic con and the framerate was REALLY bad. Now I am sure that is an old build so that will be fixed. Played as Vyse. It was harder to drift this time and it really felt like a new engine. Looking forward to the game though and seeing more SEGA characters.

Ein Bear

I got to play SAR:T at comic con and the framerate was REALLY bad. Now I am sure that is an old build so that will be fixed. Played as Vyse. It was harder to drift this time and it really felt like a new engine. Looking forward to the game though and seeing more SEGA characters.

Out of interest, was it the 360 or PS3 build? From what I remember, didn't the Xbox version of the first game have framerate issues, whilst the PS3 was relatively smooth?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

best joke i have ever read on GAF. standup is in this mans future!

Pffft, Sonic 3 for life :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, given some of the recent Sonic threads, I'm really surprised that when this thread was in Gaming no one posted horrendous fan art. And I am thankful for that.

Which platform was it on, and how bad was the framerate--like, slideshow-ish, or fell under 30 fps? Hoping the framerate won't be bad in the final product, because bad framerate makes me really dizzy.

Even so, was it fun?

Kokonoe

Banned
Post your lists.

Top 5 Sonic Games

1. Sonic & Knuckles
2. Sonic Adventure 1
3. Sonic Adventure 2
4. Sonic 2
5. Sonic Advance

ShadiWulf

PS3 is the lead platform for ASR Transformed, PS3 is lead platform for all of Sumo's games.

The original ASR had framerate issues on PS3 until really close to release, too. XBOX version had to be patched after it came out.

Post your lists.

Top 5 Sonic Games

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and Sonic 3 is the best half)
2. Sonic Colours
3. Sonic 2
4. Sonic Generations
I can't decide on a specific game for the 5th place, there's a pretty big gap between these and the others, one of the SA games, Sonic CD or Sonic 1 MS perhaps.

Emitan

PS3 is the lead platform for ASR Transformed, PS3 is lead platform for all of Sumo's games.

The original ASR had framerate issues on PS3 until really close to release, too. XBOX version had to be patched after it came out.

Awesome. I'll buy that version... eventually.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like Sonic 3, but it's level design puts me off through playthroughs.

Marble Garden
Carnival Night
Icecap
Launch Base

Sonic & Knuckles fixed that big time for me. I like Sonic Generations more than Sonic 3 due to the level design and theme.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can I just take my approach to Final Fantasy games instead? (Goodness, that post is rather outdated now). I can't rank anything at all because I usually find something to like about a game (of course there are exceptions to this). I'm the same way with Tales (though I rank those with regards to battle system) and Genso Suikoden.

Games in the series that are fun to play: Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Colours, Generations, Unleashed, Triple Trouble, Rush Adventure (giving it the edge here due to the fact that I think it has better level design), CD, and Advance.

Great presentation: Sonic CD, Sonic Colours, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations, Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Advance 1-3, the Rush games, well... most of the games can fit under this category, I guess. The ones where Sonic and others look like plastic (ex: Sonic Blast, Sonic Heroes, etc) with uninteresting field designs and poor textures fail here. Surprisingly, Tails and the Music Maker for the Pico looks rather nice at times. Edit: going back and looking at the Adventure games now, I don't think they look that awesome outside of environmental design. I never liked how Sonic & co looked in the Adventure games for some reason.

Basically, as long as the characters look good in terms of spritework, lighting or modelling, and if the backgrounds look good (detailed, good textures, good tilesets, etc), we're good here. The excellent presentation and art direction in the Genesis games drew me to the series initially, along with the excellent music. There have been a few hiccups along the way, but the 3D games have been pretty darn good to look at since 2008.

Favourites to play on a rainy day: Sonic Generations, Sonic 3&K, Sonic 2, and Sonic Triple Trouble thanks to the 3DS port. They aren't that long, and at least in Generations' case, you can pick and choose whatever level you want to speed through quickly because you've memorized it already.
Decided to remove categories because the answers to some of those (ex: ones that I dislike) are obvious.

This brings up a pretty good question... what drew you guys to the Sonic series initially?

ShadiWulf said:
This is a very good thing for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom