• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Seriously? I've thought people have expressed their complaints on the Adventure games multiple times.

I don't dislike the games, I just don't like the idea of being forced to do hunting and shooting when all I want is to play as SONIC. SA2 is extremely guilty of the alt gameplay design because it's like once you finish a Sonic level, you have to go through 2 or 3 non-Sonic levels before going back to him. Other things I did not like was the shitty friends (Shadow and Rouge for example) and the melodramatic story.

I think the only thing I miss from the Adventure games is the Chao Garden.

So the treasure hunting seems to be the main complaint...maybe if they change it to give it a more zelda-dungeon puzzle like feel(but extremely light) than just randomly put emerald pieces anywhere then tell you if your hot or cold could that fix it? I have no problems playing with characters other than sonic as I fully expect the adventure like games to have them that will never be a complaint from me as I find all the sonic characters important in a sonic game. People want it to be a straight up mario type game but know damn well with the right talent behind it a sonic with a good story and gameplay could be a very epic game. It could work, sonic team shows glimpses of that but never can really put it all perfectly together always half assed somewhere. I believe its the talent working on the games rather than what type of game it is.

No. I want to play as Sonic in a Sonic game. If Knuckles and Tails are StH3 style variations, then I'm fine. What I don't want is to do non-Sonic things in a Sonic game.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's called Sonic Adventure for a reason. Mega Man Battle Network isn't like a typical Mega Man game, but it's still liked.
What I'm implying is, what defines a "Sonic" game isn't entirely based around what has been done before.

BlackJace

It's called Sonic Adventure for a reason. Mega Man Battle Network isn't like a typical Mega Man game, but it's still liked.
What I'm implying is, what defines a "Sonic" game isn't entirely based around what has been done before.

I agree, but the problem being is that some of the "non-traditional" Sonic stuff can get rather monotonous.

Kokonoe

Banned
I agree, but the problem being is that some of the "non-traditional" Sonic stuff can get rather monotonous.

Well I'm not specifically talking about the quality of it, I'm just saying that alternate gameplay doesn't mean it's not a Sonic game. Each new game has the chance to improve on the old.

Well I'm not specifically talking about the quality of it, I'm just saying that alternate gameplay doesn't mean it's not a Sonic game. Each new game has the chance to improve on the old.

You're forced to play as those other characters, though. Battle Network rarely makes you do that in that series, and not nearly as frequently.

Kokonoe

Banned
You're forced to play as those other characters, though. Battle Network rarely makes you do that in that series, and not nearly as frequently.

But you're playing an entirely new gameplay style, so it is essentially that. The characters are alternate gameplay styles, and that's what is disliked, but I don't think because it's alternate is why people dislike it, I just think people dislike it because they don't think it's of quality.

qq more

Missing the point. The very idea of forcefully constantly switching between gameplay modes is just stupid. I don't wanna go emerald hunting right after speeding through a stage. It's also poor pacing.

but I don't think because it's alternate is why people dislike it, I just think people dislike it because they don't think it's of quality.

Not at all. I found emerald hunting pretty tedious in SA2. I like 3/5 of the shooting stages as Eggman however.

I really don't get what it is so hard to understand about the complaints about alt gamemodes. I mean if you people can't see why some are bothered by alt gameplays then I don't know what to say anymore. And this is even coming from someone who actually enjoyed Emerald Hunting in SA1.

I wouldn't dislike the alternate gameplay styles so much if it was relegated to optional/unlockable side stuff. I don't like how it's kind of forced on you even if all you want to do is play as Sonic.

Kokonoe

Banned
Missing the point. The very idea of forcefully constantly switching between gameplay modes is just stupid. I don't wanna go emerald hunting right after speeding through a stage. It's also poor pacing.

I prefer Sonic Adventure 1's style of doing it, but in the end, this is what a Sonic Adventure game is. Not that you have to like it, but that's the style of it. Of course this can be improved on, but the games essentially will force you to play other characters if you want the ending.

Adventure 1 did it in a way where it's not back to back, I'm not sure why they got rid of the style and hub worlds.

Not at all. I found emerald hunting pretty tedious in SA2. I like the shooting stages as Eggman.

In one scenario you dislike the Knuckles stages because they are tedious, that is a sign that you don't think it's of a certain quality. I don't speak for everyone, I'm using not so literal terms to describe what people usually say about the game.

Everyone's own opinion shakes up a general idea.

Nope. I'm here. I just don't post that often, especially in Sonic threads (cuz anonimity!). **ninja vanish**
Either way, good to see you again!

I should really head back to the MoFo some time. About all I recall is Acrio going mad with power and eventually getting banned. Wouldn't have seen that coming...

ShadiWulf

I honestly can't tell whether you're really praising Iizuka or just being sarcastic about it. I do not trust this man at all.

lol bit of both.

I'll be honest, some what of what he says does scare me, but, at the same time, he is obviously very passionate about Sonic, veeeery passionate, and that's a good thing. He wants Sonic to be popular, he wants millions of people worldwide to like his vision.

It's obvious hes got big ideas, and doesn't just want to do the same thing over and over again, well i mean that much is obvious, he's never done the same thing over once, if you go through the history of his games.

As long as we don't end up with another shadow the hedgehog or sonic heroes, i'm good. I know he loves his bottomless pits and rails (as proved by his answer for one of his questions at Summer of Sonic, saying Rail Canyon should of been in Generations) but as long as they have bottomless pit signs I can handle them.

Personal prediction of mine, I think one of the future Sonic games is going to be a huge open world full of black holes and bottomless pits. would fit with his vision of wanting to make an RPG Sonic game

Anyone who hasn't watched this documentary should watch it, you get an insight into how Iizuka thinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NweM4B1lY

This Sonic Adventure DX Directors Cut Commentary with Takashi Iizuka talks about the making of Sonic Adventure and all of the aspects of the game such as Gamma, Big, Chaos, the Chao, their trip, and Sonic's move into 3D. It's a great video that all fans should watch.

Sciz

Nope. I'm here. I just don't post that often, especially in Sonic threads (cuz anonimity!). **ninja vanish**

:O

We have been graced, like the brief but brilliant flash of a bolt of lightning, with the presence of Jon Gray. May this day be forever remembered in thread history.

Emitan

lol bit of both.

I'll be honest, some what of what he says does scare me, but, at the same time, he is obviously very passionate about Sonic, veeeery passionate, and that's a good thing. He wants Sonic to be popular, he wants millions of people worldwide to like his vision.

Passionate about Sonic? Would you say he has... Sonic Passion?

ShadiWulf

Passionate about Sonic? Would you say he has... Sonic Passion?

Oh, definitely!

AS7MR.jpg

http://ss.sonicretro.org/iizuka.jpg

edit: here is the video that picture is from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vXYptyA2s

Mr Swine

Banned
So if Sega does make a Sonic Adventure game. Would you be happy if Both Sonic and Eggman where playable? Sonic only or Sonic and his hilarious friends?

When I get the time, I'll upload some AA shots of those for you Sega1991.

Hm? Of the facial expressions? I could've done them myself but it wasn't actually a planned thing. I forget what I was actually recording footage for, but before I deleted it I ended up framing through the footage and going "Heh, Sonic's face looks super dumb, I bet there's more".

I have SA1 screens with AA:

It's just NullDC doesn't have any kind of anti-aliasing toggle so I have to turn it on through the Catalyst Control Panel, but I never like to leave it on. Plus, I dunno, there's something pure about native-resolution Dreamcast games :p

There is one Dreamcast game that I always run with AA, though:

Woah, that's freaking awesome. I think we've got something here.

Let's tweak it a bit:

Maybe for this game he should go a little more high tech. He should wear a capsule and vacum them up. Then instead of having to gather them all in a time limit, you need to get as many as you can, and make it to the end. Basically the same Sonic would do with rings. When you get hit, you loose some animals. If you get hit too many times, your capsule breaks.

If Sega doesn't use it, please someone use it in another fangame.

Not at all. I found emerald hunting pretty tedious in SA2. I like 3/5 of the shooting stages as Eggman however.

I really don't get what it is so hard to understand about the complaints about alt gamemodes. I mean if you people can't see why some are bothered by alt gameplays then I don't know what to say anymore. And this is even coming from someone who actually enjoyed Emerald Hunting in SA1.
That's because emerald hunting in SA1 wasn't complete shit. The worlds were open and varied, with emeralds placed in areas that weren't a hassle to get to. Compare something like Knuckles' Speed Highway or Red Canyon to the fucking nightmares that were Meteor Herd/Mad Space/Aquatic Mine, the difference is night and day. You shouldn't be in a 45 minute fetch quest because you're lost as hell. God help you if you died and they rearranged the emeralds. And like you mentioned earlier, another key was when you selected a character, you played as just that character. Not this fractured jarring mess from 2.

Emerald hunting aside, I'd be interested to see them take a Werehog approach to Knuckles, developing a moveset for him, with his strength and slower paced platforming in mind. The Werehog formula had potential once you leveled him up, but overlong stages, enemy spamming, and that blaring battle music quickly turned it to shit. And Werehog Eggmanland.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This would be absolutely wonderful to play.

TheCongressman1 said:
Maybe for this game he should go a little more high tech. He should wear a capsule and vacum them up. Then instead of having to gather them all in a time limit, you need to get as many as you can, and make it to the end. Basically the same Sonic would do with rings. When you get hit, you loose some animals. If you get hit too many times, your capsule breaks.
This sounds like something Robotnik would certainly do. It would be interesting to play a 2D Sonic in the villain's perspective.

Sonic's friends or various animals who aren't the friends could be the bosses. (And Sonic would save the day in the end.)

This would be absolutely wonderful to play.

This sounds like something Robotnik would certainly do. It would be interesting to play a 2D Sonic in the villain's perspective.

Sonic's friends or various animals who aren't the friends could be the bosses. (And Sonic would save the day in the end.)

Yeah, it would even be great in 3D. Like a much faster paced Luigi's mansion or something.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Didn't see these posted:

Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic: Part 143 (where they go through the original Sonic 2 Chemical Plant)
Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic: Part 144 (Generations' Chemical Plant)

I dunno. I played the PS3 version of Generations, and I got through it okay. Long load times, though.

Yeah, it would even be great in 3D. Like a much faster paced Luigi's mansion or something.
Wait, that's a great idea too. I had a thought that if it was in 3D, scenario or puzzle elements to capture some animals would be a nice touch, but then we'd get into Unleashed Night Stage territory and I don't think we want that.

In terms of music, even distorted or 'evil' versions of past stage themes would fit in if we were chronicling how Robotnik captured animals prior to the start of Sonic 1/2/3, etc.

I dunno. I played the PS3 version of Generations, and I got through it okay. Long load times, though.

I occasionally run into some weird button lag issues from time to time in the PS3 version. Nothing game breaking, but it does become a bit frustrating whenever I'm trying to attempt a shortcut that requires precise timing for a jump/boost/etc.

I occasionally run into some weird button lag issues from time to time in the PS3 version. Nothing game breaking, but it does become a bit frustrating whenever I'm trying to attempt a shortcut that requires precise timing for a jump/boost/etc.

Happens on the Xbox 360 version, too. Like you said, always seems to happen when you're going for a tricky shortcut and suddenly the button you pushed doesn't register. The PC version's higher framerate seems a bit more stable in this regard.

The higher a game's particular framerate, the more it is polling for controller input, basically. Replaying Mega Man 3 a week ago and it's sort of weird how laggy the controls get in that when there's a lot on screen. Same stuff as in Generations, with jumps not registering properly, etc. It's super noticeable if you use a turbo controller.

Not that I would ever use a turbo controller for a Mega Man game, of course. ;)

qq more

Man... the load times in the PS3 version were frustrating sometimes. I'm so glad the save and load times on the PC version were non-existant almost.

Happens on the Xbox 360 version, too. Like you said, always seems to happen when you're going for a tricky shortcut and suddenly the button you pushed doesn't register. The PC version's higher framerate seems a bit more stable in this regard.

The higher a game's particular framerate, the more it is polling for controller input, basically. Replaying Mega Man 3 a week ago and it's sort of weird how laggy the controls get in that when there's a lot on screen. Same stuff as in Generations, with jumps not registering properly, etc. It's super noticeable if you use a turbo controller.

It could be worse, it could've been the PAL version of Mega Man 3, I tried to replay it about two months ago and i'd forgotten how laggy it could get, in the case of PAL Mega Man 2 the music itself runs at a slower speed as well!

But steering back to Sonic Generations, last time I played it I was using a third party PS3 controller, it wasn't a pleasant experience when you combine the occasional lag with a less responsive controller, particularly in modern stages, fortunately i'm back in the dualshock saddle now.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I assumed it was just a PS3 specific thing because there's a few PS3 versions of games (This gen's Capcom's fighters for example) have a bit of framerate weirdness compared to their 360 counterpart. I think I recall a bit of that with the PS3 version of Unleashed as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel like Cubot and Orbot fill in the void that Scratch and Grounder left. Though Scratch and Grounder are zanier, while Orbot's snarky and Cubot's there for comic relief and overall silliness.

And dammit, I watched that whole episode!

TkuHy.png

Kokonoe

Banned
Hm? Of the facial expressions? I could've done them myself but it wasn't actually a planned thing. I forget what I was actually recording footage for, but before I deleted it I ended up framing through the footage and going "Heh, Sonic's face looks super dumb, I bet there's more".

I have SA1 screens with AA:

It's just NullDC doesn't have any kind of anti-aliasing toggle so I have to turn it on through the Catalyst Control Panel, but I never like to leave it on. Plus, I dunno, there's something pure about native-resolution Dreamcast games :p

There is one Dreamcast game that I always run with AA, though:

Ah, I see. Well it's like without the filtering used on the actual Dreamcast, I just think it looks off without antialiasing. The filtering gives it a blurry edge so it never looks quite like that, but I see where you're coming from.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did too. This was my childhood! I didn't watch as much of SatAM (maybe I should because I think it's on Netflix).
It's more serious than AoStH, but it's pretty good for a children's cartoon, particularly if you're looking for an ongoing canon. I think I had more experience with Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog than SatAM, though, just because the former was shown every day as opposed to SatAM being on... Sat AM. >.>

Well, it also helped that most of my friends really liked AoStH and was more familiar with it than SatAM too.

Critical scene for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games:

JSTR8.png

Robotnik is absolute gold in this episode.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oddly enough, I did watch some of the original Sonic cartoon on Netflix last month or so, and for some reason I couldn't get into it. It's strange because I remember I use to really like the show and it's the one I experienced the most, I also was able to watch the original Zelda and Mario Bros Super Show which I never watched, but a show I once liked I couldn't.

Satam I've been watching lately, it's enjoyable to watch still. Haven't watched in forever before Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom