• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a boxed set of all of the Sonic Underground episodes and I don't know why. :lol. Right, it was a joke gift.

I guess it's because they made a vow, their mother will be found!

Kokonoe

Banned
I also watched that. Well, the first episode in which I stopped half way. I thought it was bad then, I still think so today.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even as a kid I knew that show sucked. Come on, Schala!
My bf just reminded me that he got it for me as a joke gift. :lol

Sonic Underground, though, is just so... bad... Like, why?

6wBDV.jpg

88pvm.png
h10n4.png

Emitan

I don't remember Robotnik looking so punk rock but I guess thematically it fits >_>

We all know which one's the best Sonic animation, right?

6gmOY.png

I have the VHS somewhere. I really need to watch it again! Can I get it on iTunes or something so I don't have to watch it on crappy VHS?

My nephew has the full boxset of AoStH he was given when he was about 4, he is nearly 7 now so I should sit him down in front of them and see if he likes it this time, years ago when I used to babysit it was around the time one of the satalite channels had repeats of sonic and mario cartoons but he never really took attention to them :(

Leaked SA3 eggman theme

Kokonoe

Banned
I've never watched that Metal Sonic movie before. I'd have to rewatch Sonic X, but I liked it besides from Chris. As in it's my favorite Sonic show if I recall.

I've never seen Underground aside from the opening sequence.

I was sick in bed and home from school, so I decided to surf channels to see what was on, and hey, there's a new Sonic cartoon. I made it to the end of the title theme before just turning off the TV and going to sleep.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have the VHS somewhere. I really need to watch it again! Can I get it on iTunes or something so I don't have to watch it on crappy VHS?
I still have the VHS somewhere. I know it was re-released on DVD a while ago, but it's very expensive. It's kind of too bad they didn't include it in a Sonic Generations Limited Edition or something.

I've never seen Underground aside from the opening sequence.

I was sick in bed and home from school, so I decided to surf channels to see what was on, and hey, there's a new Sonic cartoon. I made it to the end of the title theme before just turning off the TV and going to sleep.
There was an episode where Manic dropped a baby and it broke and then he cried.

Sonic le Rebelle isn't that bad. It's bad, but it's not as bad as the English version. Now the insert songs in both languages are utterly terrible.

My sonic movie VHS has been watched so many times it doesn't play smooth any more, not that I can play it we not had a vhs player for years.

Kokonoe

Banned
The thing about Sonic Underground is it makes just as much sense as the original Sonic cartoon, while trying to be as serious as Satam, except it's not done intentionally.

I watched the OVA for the first time a few months back. It was pretty cool, especially since Sonic was kind of an asshole for a majority of it.

One of my favorite parts of that movie was in the beginning where Tails and the others were in trouble and Sonic was chilling and then speeds off to rescue them at the last moment like a colossal jerk.

Mr Swine

Banned
I hate Sonic Ova. The VA is really really bad (Sonic and Tails sound like they come from South Park), Sara and the owl are really annoying. the story is really weird where Sonic is guillables and believes Robuttniks story (really, I thought Knuckles was the stupid one, not Sonic). Then we have the annoying owl and Sara which Robuttniks wants to marry. Ugh...

I am pretty sure the Sonic OVA is the only Sonic thing to ever portray the size discrepancy between Sonic and Eggman correctly.

KW8m4.png

Sonic's supposed to be about 3 feet tall but in most of the games, either Eggman is really short or Sonic's closer to 4-5 feet.

TheOGB

Banned
I am pretty sure the Sonic OVA is the only Sonic thing to ever portray the size discrepancy between Sonic and Eggman correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/KW8m4.png[IMG]

Sonic's supposed to be about 3 feet tall but in most of the games, either Eggman is really short or Sonic's closer to 4-5 feet.[/QUOTE]
I wanna see Sonic stand next to an NBA player

qq more

OVA was pretty cool. Kind of a shame it isn't actually a series. I always wanted a Sonic show that felt a lot more closer to the original games. By the way, why the hell was there a cat girl?

As far as Sonic cartoon goes, I think I like AoSTH the most. SATAM was great but it didn't lasted long enough when it got really interesting. Sonic Underground was shit and I want to pretend Sonic X never happened. I can't tell which of the two is worse though... I'm leaning towards X because of the whole shitty friends thing, I can't stand them.

I don't remember Robotnik looking so punk rock but I guess thematically it fits >_>

Metal Sonic looks awesome in that bottom left picture. I must watch this show tomorrow.

You guys could watch it here on youtube I watched it a couple weeks ago on my 360 using the youtube app so there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJvlmiJS9zc&sns=em

english dub btw.

You might know everything I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you because I know everything you're going to do! Strange, isn't it?

Also Disney XD apparently airs Underground now.

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The only peices of Sonic animation I like are the OVA and Night of the Werehog. I 've always hated the TV shows.

Troof.

AoStH is just cringeworthy and unfunny, Sonic SATAM was too much srs bsns, and Sonic X? What I've seen of it was awful. I've never seen Underground, and frankly I have no desire whatsoever to see it.

BlackJace

Troof.

AoStH is just cringeworthy and unfunny, Sonic SATAM was too much srs bsns, and Sonic X? What I've seen of it was awful. I've never seen Underground, and frankly I have no desire whatsoever to see it.

Sonic X is the only truly awful animation series. They botched every arc in the canon, and the original arc was uninspired and bland.

OVA was pretty cool. Kind of a shame it isn't actually a series. I always wanted a Sonic show that felt a lot more closer to the original games. By the way, why the hell was there a cat girl?

I guess for the same reason they were in the manga too?

SonicMangaEND.jpg

I suppose they thought it was a way to pair cute girls with Sonic (even though Sara's a brat through the OVA), which has been an idea for the series since the original designs for Madonna.

Sonic X is the only truly awful animation series. They botched every arc in the canon, and the original arc was uninspired and bland.

Nope.avi

The only thing I'll say they botched is the Sonic Adventure 1 arc, it looked like they were running out of money when they made those episodes.

I really hope you aren't judging it by the dub, because all "Weeaboo" jokes aside, 4Kids really fucked things up for absolutely no clear reason. They rewrote scenes without purpose, they stripped game themes from iconic scenes and replaced the rest of the music with their in-house faux-orchestra crud, they edited and changed aspects for ridiculous reasons... and most of the cast, especially Eggman earlier on, was just bad. Funny thing is, I don't mind Mike as Eggman now in the recent games, but even going back to the old episodes, he still sounds awful in them. It perhaps says something about 4Kids's voice direction.

If you're not, well... I can't help you there, but I don't share your opinion, and it's certainly not fact. Especially when you say "Sonic X is the only truly awful animation series" right after several posts about Sonic Underground, the series where they thought Jaleel White should voice a major female character, where the designs are ugly, awful crap, where the plot completely abandons almost all Sonic tropes, except when it's using Ken friggin' Penders as source material, and feels the need to interject terrible songs sung by voices that in no way resemble the usual cast, making you wonder if the main trio have Dissociative Identity Disorder.

And I'll say it again... good LORD were the designs for anything but the main cast ugly.

Pietepiet

I really want to see the Japanese Sonic X. I watched it up to the Sonic Adventure 2 arc when it came out, but quit after that. Apparently the last season was pretty good.

BlackJace

Nope.avi

The only thing I'll say they botched is the Sonic Adventure 1 arc, it looked like they were running out of money when they made those episodes.

I really hope you aren't judging it by the dub, because all "Weeaboo" jokes aside, 4Kids really fucked things up for absolutely no clear reason. They rewrote scenes without purpose, they stripped game themes from iconic scenes and replaced the rest of the music with their in-house faux-orchestra crud, they edited and changed aspects for ridiculous reasons... and most of the cast, especially Eggman earlier on, was just bad. Funny thing is, I don't mind Mike as Eggman now in the recent games, but even going back to the old episodes, he still sounds awful in them. It perhaps says something about 4Kids's voice direction.

If you're not, well... I can't help you there, but I don't share your opinion, and it's certainly not fact. Especially when you say "Sonic X is the only truly awful animation series" right after several posts about Sonic Underground, the series where they thought Jaleel White should voice a major female character, where the designs are ugly, awful crap, where the plot completely abandons almost all Sonic tropes, except when it's using Ken friggin' Penders as source material, and feels the need to interject terrible songs sung by voices that in no way resemble the usual cast, making you wonder if the main trio have Dissociative Identity Disorder.

And I'll say it again... good LORD were the designs for anything but the main cast ugly.

Well of course it's my opinion. I watched Sonic X and the Adventures of STH to the end. I only saw one or two of Underground, so I can only go on what I know.

And yes, the 3 main arcs they had in the series were all subpar in some way. Maybe money was an issue, I don't know, but they could've fleshed it out better. Sonic Adventure had the first fully coherent story of the series, and again in my opinion, they didn't do it justice.

Kokonoe

Banned
I asked someone to play Sonic Generations who hasn't really played Sonic since Sonic & Knuckles, but did play a lot of the classic Sonic games in their day. After a bit, the person told me that they didn't really like playing as Classic Sonic, and not so much that they hate it, but they find Modern Sonic so much more fun.

This person also played a bit (one playthrough) of Sonic Adventure 1 and liked it, but they never beat it while the Dreamcast was still around. They mentioned that the game had a lot of replay value to give, while also giving you a full playthrough with Sonic.

I feel that this thread makes sense to ask the following...
Billy Hatcher? what's the verdict?
It popped up in my charity shop when I was working there today and would only cost me £2, i've played the multiplayer numerous times but have barely seen the single player, I might have to make an extra trip down there later this week to snatch it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom