• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
eyuuuup, were getting Sonic Adventure 3, probably going to be the 25th anniversary game. Iizuka-san's probably been getting stuffed with Sonic 4 feedback to the brim that he thought everyone hated his innovations, of course, that wouldn't stop him from doing them, or making sonic Adventure 3, but it looks like Sonic Boom opened his eyes, and made him ecstatic that the fans want Sonic Adventure 3.

from the Sonic forums, someone who was at Sonic Boom:

*sigh*

I really don't see the appeal of SA3...I mean, we've branched on to other things, why go back to this?

Everything wrong with Sonic in the previous decade can be traced back to Sonic Adventure. If people want to return to that, maybe Sonic Adventure 3 is the game the fandom deserves.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both Archie and Penders filed for something called "summary judgement", where they basically write up their preliminary evidence, present it to the judge, and if he grants summary judgement, they skip a full blown legal trial altogether and a winner is declared right there. The judge denied summary judgement, and advised them to find a settlement out of court. If Archie doesn't settle, it will eventually go to trial. Based on the removal of St. John, it would seem that Archie might be running scared.
Do you have an idea of where to access the legal documents for this case, if any?

As for those contracts that Sciz mentioned, were they submitted as evidence as a true copy? Sounds like a tricky issue. If he has a defense team that has very very good lawyers then maybe he might have an advantage.

Penders said:
"While I initially contributed to the SONIC mythos within the pages of the various SONIC-related comic series, I did not sign any agreement allowing my work to be used in another media,” Penders explained. “During this time, I consulted with Michael Lovitz, an Intellectual Property attorney based in Beverly Hills, who advised me of my rights and how to proceed to protect those rights.”
My boyfriend: "Oh fuck you, Sonic doesn't have a mythos. It's about a blue hedgehog saving animals from a fat man who makes robots."
KuGsj.gif

You know that scene in Star Wars when all the senators cheer for Palpatine? This is like that.
Oh gosh... ahahaha!

Hm, is Adventure really that disliked on GAF?

I don't particularly dislike them (though they're certainly flawed) but like I said, the seeds of Shadow/06/just the franchise generally throughout the mid 2000s were planted there. Seems weird to want to go back to that after we've seen consistent improvement and quality over the last few years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, Generations 2/Unleashed 2 or Adventure 3, I'd buy it. Just as long as the game itself is polished and the gameplay/control is solid. And if the game is fun, since that's the most important part.

I think a lot of people are just satisfied with how it is right now, and feel that they should refine what they have going on right now, as opposed to changing to a type of game that's more than likely going to be very opposite of the type of design the current games employ.

There are going to be some people who like the current type of design and would welcome refinements to the style, and then you have others who want a more freeform type of game with other playable characters and/or probably a slight focus on a narrative to tie things together. Just a matter of what people expect out of the series, I guess.

EuroMIX

I just feel like some of the adventure was lost in recent games. The Adventure games were the last time I felt truly investied in Sonic's world. Colours is nice, especially since it controls a lot better, but it can't beat the sense of wonder the two Adventure's gave me.

In my opinion the decline truly began when Sega started that "going back to basics" bull with Heroes that never panned out. I don't need an "Adventure 3" to be happy, but I would like to feel less on-rails, boosting through the levels and more exploration.

I imagine that the 3D/2D mechanic is here to stay now though, which is great for those that love it, I guess. Something is missing for me though that I just can't place.

Drago

Didn't Iizuka or someone else say something about wanting to make a new Modern Sonic/reboot or something similar?

Adventure 3 could be a good outlet to do that, but I'd prefer that not happen. I want them to expand on the gameplay in Colors/Generations

ShadiWulf

Didn't Iizuka or someone else say something about wanting to make a new Modern Sonic/reboot or something similar?

Adventure 3 could be a good outlet to do that, but I'd prefer that not happen. I want them to expand on the gameplay in Colors/Generations

Yeah, that was iizuka, lol. He said Sonic Generations is the end of an era, and that he wants to create a "new modern Sonic" for future games.

He's also said in countless interviews that he wants to add innovations to his games, make a new style of 3D Sonic, and go against fan expectations "in a good way".

=D

qq more

Yeah, that was iizuka, lol. He said Sonic Generations is the end of an era, and that he wants to create a "new modern Sonic" for future games.

He's also said in countless interviews that he wants to add innovations to his games, make a new style of 3D Sonic, and go against fan expectations "in a good way".

=D

I honestly can't tell whether you're really praising Iizuka or just being sarcastic about it. I do not trust this man at all.

TheOGB

Banned
I've often wondered what E.G.G.M.A.N. would sound like if it were made into a final stage theme.

Holy shit did this answer my question.

BONUS: If you want to feel conflicted, check out this user's Sonic Colors/Black Eyed Peas mash-ups. Spoiler alert:
they actually work really well.

Edit - Related. Guess that's Act 1? I have no idea what the context is with these two (and others, looks like), but I intend to find out. Later. goddammit youtube app why do descriptions disappear and reappear at their own discretion

there are also stories I've heard about really terrible stuff happening to artists, like the pencils for an entire issue being ruined because they were left out in the rain. Stuff like that.

I too have heard this story, but to be fair, I think it was a major hurricane that hit, at least the time I'm thinking of. I know one story ending was redrawn to be fixed from some very bad, 4th wall-breaking writing, but the redrawn part was lost, and they had to roughly edit what they had to make it in time.

You know that scene in Star Wars when all the senators cheer for Palpatine? This is like that.

Okay, this is getting quoted again.

Psxphile

I don't dislike the games but they are certainly responsible for starting the problems that plagued the franchise for years. I cannot believe people really want SA3 this badly.

People (well, fans) are bolstered by the fact that the recent games have been more than tolerable. Seems they think it's time for an Adventure 3 before shit hits the fan again. Strike while the iron is hot, you see. Never realizing the folly of what they ask.

qq more

People get mad at SA and SA2 whats the overall major complaint that people dont like them? I dont understand the dislike.
Seriously? I've thought people have expressed their complaints on the Adventure games multiple times.

I don't dislike the games, I just don't like the idea of being forced to do hunting and shooting when all I want is to play as SONIC. SA2 is extremely guilty of the alt gameplay design because it's like once you finish a Sonic level, you have to go through 2 or 3 non-Sonic levels before going back to him. Other things I did not like was the shitty friends (Shadow and Rouge for example) and the melodramatic story.

I think the only thing I miss from the Adventure games is the Chao Garden.

qq more

Is it weird that I dislike all of Tails' levels and yet enjoyed most of Eggman's? There was just something about Tails' levels that made them unenjoyable.

Is it weird that I dislike all of Tails' levels and yet enjoyed most of Eggman's? There was just something about Tails' levels that made them unenjoyable.

No i'm with you, maybe it was just the satisfaction of being Eggman, maybe it was how his stages generally had tons of targets and a slighty better design.

But do you know what's really weird? these days I sort of enjoy the treasure hunting stages, except mad space. Tails is the worst of the worst as far as i'm concerned.

Or you know, SA3 might be good since Sonic Team gives a shit now. No wait, they've rehired the 06 team. Duck and cover guys.

I think they'll get it right. Since 06, theyve learned (drama = bad) (9 playable characters = bad) (QA is a thing) (Coding is a thing) (Level Design exists) (We should have an art direction worth a damn, huh guys)

All valuable lessons in my book. Those worried about them cramming a multicolored neon cast of playable rodents, fear not. The last SA really only had 3 gameplay types, half reskinned, faking an extra 3. And look! There's 3 classic characters to choose from, Sonic, Arms, and Nipples. Maybe it isn't so implausible they use only these three. And a plot along the easy-going light hearted vibe of SA1 and Unleashed? Why not. Is this really sounding like a trainwreck to you?

For the record, they should absolutely not put tails in a robot and knuckles in canyon of bullshit to wad through. They had the right idea with them in SA1, and my expectations stem from evolving that style only.

So the treasure hunting seems to be the main complaint...maybe if they change it to give it a more zelda-dungeon puzzle like feel(but extremely light) than just randomly put emerald pieces anywhere then tell you if your hot or cold could that fix it? I have no problems playing with characters other than sonic as I fully expect the adventure like games to have them that will never be a complaint from me as I find all the sonic characters important in a sonic game. People want it to be a straight up mario type game but know damn well with the right talent behind it a sonic with a good story and gameplay could be a very epic game. It could work, sonic team shows glimpses of that but never can really put it all perfectly together always half assed somewhere. I believe its the talent working on the games rather than what type of game it is.

Blueblur1

I'd love a new Adventure but not to play more shooting or treasure hunting stages. What I love about those games is the bigger story and where each of them are in the overall narrative. Ideally, the writing would have to be much much better than what was in SA1 and 2. I'd also like to see Tails and Knuckles be playable in the style they were in the Genesis games; they play like Sonic but with added abilities. And finally, I would want to see a return to purely 3D gameplay with more branching paths in the stages. Also, no boosting and more Adventure-like controls (I'm of the opinion that modern Sonic feels like a tank when actually controlled by an analog stick).

qq more

So the treasure hunting seems to be the main complaint...maybe if they change it to give it a more zelda-dungeon puzzle like feel(but extremely light) than just randomly put emerald pieces anywhere then tell you if your hot or cold could that fix it? I have no problems playing with characters other than sonic as I fully expect the adventure like games to have them that will never be a complaint from me as I find all the sonic characters important in a sonic game. People want it to be a straight up mario type game but know damn well with the right talent behind it a sonic with a good story and gameplay could be a very epic game. It could work, sonic team shows glimpses of that but never can really put it all perfectly together always half assed somewhere. I believe its the talent working on the games rather than what type of game it is.

My major complaint is that they forced you to do the emerald hunting and shooting right after completing an actual Sonic stage. I really hated that idea in SA2. It's why I enjoyed SA1 much more than 2 because I can just play Sonic's story all I want. (In speaking of SA1, who the hell thought FISHING was a good alt gameplay idea?)

Aside from the point, I still think the emerald hunting in SA2 was horrible.

And for the sake of spending more time polishing Sonic's gameplay, they shouldn't make any alt gameplays... honestly. What a waste of resource.

I too have heard this story, but to be fair, I think it was a major hurricane that hit, at least the time I'm thinking of. I know one story ending was redrawn to be fixed from some very bad, 4th wall-breaking writing, but the redrawn part was lost, and they had to roughly edit what they had to make it in time.

The way I remember hearing it, Jonathan Gray (who had/has an account here on GAF under the name "Dubs") sent in his pencils to Archie and they arrived on a Wednesday or Thursday. Nobody had noticed they had been delivered, despite walking right past the package several times, and they sat outside. That weekend, a storm hit, and the package containing his pencils was soaked. It ruined more than half the pages, and nobody noticed until Monday.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there was less than a week until deadline. They salvaged what they could, and Dubs tried his best to redraw what was truly lost before time was up.

I think both Adventures even in the context of 90's platformers are pretty terrible but an SA3 done nowadays at least at the same quality as Generations and Colors would still be totally worthwhile. Just make it thematically, musically and level-design wise more like SA1, streamlined like SA2 and then just refer back to what you learnt from the past few actually good games you made.

SAWNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

WAHHHHHHHH
What would be the Wario to Sonic's Mario? Wonic? (And no, I don't count Shadow. Screw that.)

Jonathan Gray (who had/has an account here on GAF under the name "Dubs")
Shit, WB's here? Man, I haven't seen that guy since I stopped going to the MoFo (and I'm not entirely sure why I stopped going, in retrospect, but here we are).

Unless he was also on The GHZ, but I don't think he was.

BHZ Mayor

No because that shouldn't have been Tails in the first place.

Also, I would welcome an Adventure 3 IF that only meant taking the improvements of the last couple of games and pairing them with SA1-esque level design without "shitty friend" gameplay.

Shit, WB's here? Man, I haven't seen that guy since I stopped going to the MoFo (and I'm not entirely sure why I stopped going, in retrospect, but here we are).

Unless he was also on The GHZ, but I don't think he was.

I don't know if his name here was Dubs. Google isn't helping. He also might've been banned. But I know I've seen him around here at some point. Not really in Sonic threads, though, he seemed to stay out of them.

He also posted infrequently at The GHZ last time I looked, but that was six years ago at least.

Just make it thematically, musically and level-design wise more like SA1, streamlined like SA2 and then just refer back to what you learnt from the past few actually good games you made.

Hopefully one of those lessons would include learning how to implement a decent camera. The camera spazzing out was one of the things I hate most about the Adventure games.

tumblr_m5cpmqsDD71rr2g16o10_1280.png

I don't know why this one makes me laugh as much as it does.

qq more

I never had much issues with the camera in the Adventure games. Actually, I think Sonic 06 is the only Sonic game that managed to piss me off with its poor camera implementation.

BlackJace

While Adventure did start the whole "lul let's let them play with Sonic's friends" fiasco, it was the first time the series had a fleshed out narrative. Which I can apreciate.

Kokonoe

Banned
When I get the time, I'll upload some AA shots of those for you Sega1991.

But yeah, I just noticed some remarks and it seemed rather it was worse than what I was thinking it was. I enjoy discussing all types of opinions, but it was seeming rather needle in a haystack for mine.

If I were to knock anything in Adventure 2, it'd be how weird the first cutscene with Rouge and Knuckles is and the jerking in the cutscene. As for gameplay, I need to replay it when it comes out. Sonic Adventure 1 had some collision issues on certain walls, nothing game breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom