• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose if I ask about your favourite Persona game, mainline Phantasy Star game (ie: the numbered ones), Genso Suikoden game, or Fire Emblem game, I'd barely get responses, eh? :)

For the most part yes...

Persona: I have P3P but it hasn't done much to grab me unfortunately

Phantasy Star: *tumbleweed* coming to think of it there are a few of these on the megadrive/genesis collection.

Suikoden: I've never even seen a game of this series in the wild, this united kingdom must be opposed to its kind, no really, not one.

Fire Emblem: Hey I can answer this one properly, Path of Radiance is the champions choice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kinda surprised with the lack of Phantasy Star mentions, to be honest. The numbered games might be too old, I guess.

Europe actually didn't get Genso Suikoden III so Nocturnowl's not exactly off-base. You did get one of the better versions of Genso Suikoden II because it has all the audio glitches from the North American version fixed.

As for me...

Persona: Persona 4. As I wrote in a thread a long time ago, "Persona 4's narrative was wonderful, the VA was great, the dungeon designs were a massive improvement over Persona 3's, the battle system was a huge improvement over Persona 3's and the soundtrack was extremely fun to listen to. But what I liked most about P4 was its characters and the strength of relationships between the characters. The ideas of friendship and teamwork were much stronger in this game than Persona 3, and thus, the concept of social links and exploring every facet of these characters' personal issues were more believable."

Phantasy Star: Phantasy Star 2 or 4 - What I liked the most about PS2 was the presentation. I loved the artstyle during 'cutscenes'. Its plot and narrative setting set it apart from other RPGs at the time. The characterization and ending were amazing, and certainly a departure from what was considered the norm at the time. I imagine that people today may find it to be a grindfest, though.

PS4 has pretty awesome combination attacks put together when combining attacks (ex: SILENTWAVE (AIRSLASH + PHONON), which is a strong physical attack which hits a group). But you have to make sure that your player characters are going to hit the enemy one right after the other to combine attacks. If an enemy attacks between attacks, they'll only go for individual attacks. Out of all of the PS games, 4 might be the most accessible today, but it's best to play the previous games in the series to get everything that's going on in 4.

Seriously, I would kill for a Phantasy Star 5.

Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (ex: Fire Emblem 4) - Mostly for narrative purposes because the villain is one of the worst out there, and the plot twists and turns were interesting as a result. It was also the first game to use the weapon triangle and the lover points system.

Genso Suikoden: Don't make me choose. I love all of them. :(
(Tierkreis doesn't count; and the PSP game is just okay. Neither are canon!)

I shall add that in the cases of Genso Suikoden and Phantasy Star, you didn't need all of FMV/CG stuff to tell a story or demonstrate actions to a player. All of the narrative communication was done in-engine with character animations or small comic-style/character portrait scenes to tell a story. And you didn't need tropes or cliches to serve as something to draw an audience in. Everything was unique and new.

If anything, that's something that I hate about RPGs now. I don't need to look at a CG sequence or a long-as-hell summon/magic sequence to make your game seem like a technical achievement or a narrative spectacle. No. You don't need that. You don't need to use this stuff as a draw to your game.

I can honestly say that I genuinely prefer scrolling and reading through dialogue because my reading speed is pretty quick and I can get through it without voice actors yammering on and on. I hate summon/magic sequences because they take up so much time so I don't use them. And CG sequences that are merely serve as eyecandy (FFXIII Chapter 12 opening cutscene & FFXIII-2 opening scene sequence) like these just turn me off. It's just too bad that you shouldn't skip them because you need to see them to get what's going on.

Can't stand it. Like, I get that people like it, and that's why they seem to love seeing cutscenes in trailers and stuff or watching it while they play, but I don't like it at all. I find it boring as I don't really treat games as passive experiences.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speaking of Sonic and various games, I've always loved Sonic cameos.

QxH7v.jpg
6QiO0.gif
SPBqI.gif

nns3d

I think my favorite Sonic cameoes was the playable soccer team in that SEGA soccer game and (of course) Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

We are members of the worst fandom, I swear to God.

I mean, we're producing images like this. (Warning: horribly offensive, cross-species romance, cross-franchise romance, images of a
pony
fetus inside a womb, and yet despite all of this, I can't say as it's exactly NSFW. But seriously, as hilarious as this is, what the hell am I looking at?
9/11 caused Sonic and Pan to give birth to Rainbow Dash
? What? What?)

nns3d

I mean, we're producing images like this. (Warning: horribly offensive, cross-species romance, cross-franchise romance, images of a
pony
fetus inside a womb, and yet despite all of this, I can't say as it's exactly NSFW. But seriously, as hilarious as this is, what the hell am I looking at?
? What? What?)

7YoLt.gif

Well, I will say that image captures 3 of the worst fanbases on the internet.

TheOGB

Banned
I am entirely sure that was made specifically to be as offensive as possible, while making fun of various fandoms at the same time, so...
I would certainly hope so but unfortunately we live in a world where someone could've actually made that seriously and my faith in humanity isn't exactly at an all-time high.

I would certainly hope so but unfortunately we live in a world where someone could've actually made that seriously and my faith in humanity isn't exactly at an all-time high.

If they did it seriously, it was someone young trying to make something "meaningful." Sonic, Ponies, DBZ all have young fans. Don't forget that not every fan on the internet is some fully-matured adult, kids still have to have room to make and say stupid things, and learn why they're considered stupid. :p

TheOGB

Banned
Well dammit if the kid can piece all this shit together visually on a computer they're old enough for someone to have taught them this shit is not okay

You can't stop this from ruining my day, dammit >:V
Kidding, I'm over it now

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think Twilight is among the worst of the worst in terms of fandoms.

pony
? What? What?)
This must be a joke. No one can be this stupid.

What the fuck.

Zelda: I can't believe ganon sent this horrible flood after these poor people trying to find the Triforce!

Dyno: we've all got to be go-go guys and help them

Cheech: Ay, caramba!

Yugi: I'll summon the pharoh right now!

You said there would be Cheech Marin.

Where is the Cheech Marin, Kulock/Azure Dream/whatever the hell you call yourself these days?

*blinks, looks at name field, blinks* It should be pretty easy to figure out what I call myself these days.

And haven't you figured it out yet?

The story is told from the perspective of an Alternate Universe Time-Displaced Cheech Marin.

Completely changing gears, MattJon posted this shirt to the gaming t-shirts thread:

I know most of us know what art this is based on. But honestly, at first glance, would you have recognized it? I'm not sure I would've.

Completely changing gears, MattJon posted this shirt to the gaming t-shirts thread:

I know most of us know what art this is based on. But honestly, at first glance, would you have recognized it? I'm not sure I would've.

The idea is good, but it doesn't look right at all. Perhaps if he included his eyes as well? Screw it, just put all of him on it.

Mushroom Hill Zone has pretty great music. I just like to remind people every now and then.

eh it's probably my least favourite theme from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, well aside from Lava Reef Act 2, going from god tier act 1 to act 2 is a brutal blow.
Though Mushroom hill is still solid, I liked the Generations 3DS version, but I expect better opening stage music material.

Yes this does mean I prefer Carnival Night and Marble Garden, they've grown on me in such a weird way.

Tizoc

Mushroom Hill theme has a nice Jazz feel to it.
I personally like Emerald Hill the most, mainly because it pumps you up for the adventure.

Psxphile

Lava Reef Act 2's music was cool. I don't see the problem with it... well aside from the fact Hidden Palace reused it.

It wasn't even a proper remix of Act 1, like the previous zones. And Lava Reef Act 1 is one of the best tracks (albeit short) in the game. REAL TALK.

qq more

Oh, I wouldn't deny Lava Reef Act 1 having one of the best songs in the game. It was really awesome.

...By the way, am I the only one that liked Sandopolis' theme? Both acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom