• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ip0pr.jpg

fuck mystic cave zone

Super Sonic should fly away like he does in Unleashed/Generations... Oh wait :(

I imagine that's how people first reacted to Sonic 06.
Two stages for different types of people.
Spastic spinning of horror from sensible people
And the last bit is Sonic 06 fans sticking their heads in the sand refusing to listen to the complaints, to this day they have yet to emerge.

Finally caught that ice cap fish, after loads of time running around and restarting the stage one big shark spawned right next to froggy...

Now to grind the chao races, broken ass shit in this version the opponents power level as bad as oblivion enemies.

I should note that I beat this xbla a long time ago but felt like revisiting sonic games to get some missing achievements.

BlackJace

Thinking that the Ultimate Lifeform based on an animorphic hedgehog, capable of running at mach speeds, needs to ride fucking jeeps and motorcycles.

It's beyond me.

OMG Aero

Thinking that the Ultimate Lifeform based on an animorphic hedgehog, capable of running at mach speeds, needs to ride fucking jeeps and motorcycles.

It's beyond me.
The ultimate lifeform thing is totally just something Shadow just made up. Sonic keeps beating him and he can't even run as fast as Sonic, he needs fucking jet boots to do it.

That whole "ultimate lifeform" thing was such a load of crap, anyway. I'm glad they're not pushing it that much anymore; everything involved is much better off for it.

BlackJace

That whole "ultimate lifeform" thing was such a load of crap, anyway. I'm glad they're not pushing it that much anymore; everything involved is much better off for it.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I believe Shadow should've been left alone after SA2.

His purpose was fufilled.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I believe Shadow should've been left alone after SA2.

His purpose was fufilled.

No, I think a lot of people that were over the age of 15 when SA2 ended would agree with you on that one. Problem is, Sonic Team got in to this habit of bringing characters back just because they were popular.

It more or less started with Sonic Adventure 2, where, according to "historical records" (aka the news archives of SonicHQ.com), Sonic Team retooled a significant portion of the game in order to make room for slotting Tails as a playable character when he wasn't, originally.

Sonic Team got it in their heads to always bring back fan-favorite characters or suffer the wrath of the whiners. So Knuckles stuck around long after he was useful, Shadow stuck around long after he was useful, so on and so forth.

qq more

Makes me wonder if Sega got a lot of shit for Colours which brought back very little on the character front.

I remember before Project Needlemouse was revealed as Sonic 4, there was that whole "WHO WILL APPEAR IN NEEDLEMOUSE" thing and everyday they crossed off characters until Sonic was left. There was a bit of an uproar...but they quickly gotten over it because they realized they'll love the game anyways just because it's Sonic.

OMG Aero

I never had a problem with the Knuckles levels in Adventure 1 and 2, I thought the exploration was a nice contrast to Sonic's linear running levels.
The only problems are when they did levels with shitty gimmicks like Aquatic Mines or Mad Space.

I remember before Project Needlemouse was revealed as Sonic 4, there was that whole "WHO WILL APPEAR IN NEEDLEMOUSE" thing and everyday they crossed off characters until Sonic was left. There was a bit of an uproar...but they quickly gotten over it because they realized they'll love the game anyways just because it's Sonic.
Hah, of course in the end no one loved the game.

I never had a problem with the Knuckles levels in Adventure 1 and 2, I thought the exploration was a nice contrast to Sonic's linear running levels.
The only problems are when they did levels with shitty gimmicks like Aquatic Mines or Mad Space.
These days I don't mind the treasure hunting at all aside from mad space, they're not great but a brief bit of exploration isn't that bad, it's the shooting stages that feel my wrath now.

ShadiWulf

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/08/01/esrb-listing-affirms-sa2-for-pc/

Sonic Adventure 2 HD likely coming to PC. Also sounds like they're using the uncut OST version of Death Chamber with the "Damn right, Knuckles" line.

I haven't played the game in so long. I can't remember, is the uncut version of the song in the game?

edit:
>In the GameCube version, the entire conversation between Sonic and Knuckles was removed and replaced with a saxophone solo because of the line "Ya damn right, Knuckles."

Iizuka-san bringing back the hardcore rap

What was the actual conclusion to the heroes twist of shadow robots? I never bothered to find out and am now curious.
I assume Shadow the Hedgehog answers all my questions, too bad I don't want to endure it for answers.

What was the actual conclusion to the heroes twist of shadow robots? I never bothered to find out and am now curious.
I assume Shadow the Hedgehog answers all my questions, too bad I don't want to endure it for answers.

ShTH has Shadow robots out the butt, fuck knows what the plot means though.

BlackJace

You aren't honestly alone. Every sane person wished Shadow should of have just died there.

No, I think a lot of people that were over the age of 15 when SA2 ended would agree with you on that one. Problem is, Sonic Team got in to this habit of bringing characters back just because they were popular.

It more or less started with Sonic Adventure 2, where, according to "historical records" (aka the news archives of SonicHQ.com), Sonic Team retooled a significant portion of the game in order to make room for slotting Tails as a playable character when he wasn't, originally.

Sonic Team got it in their heads to always bring back fan-favorite characters or suffer the wrath of the whiners. So Knuckles stuck around long after he was useful, Shadow stuck around long after he was useful, so on and so forth.

What made it worse was the explanation of how Shadow returned. Heroes completely butchered this in every way possible. Eggman found Shadow's body? Bullshit. He then made multiple Shadow androids? Bullshit. The Shadow we played as in Heroes was an android? This is where I couldn't take it anymore.

What was even more shocking was the meeting between Team Sonic and Team Dark. All of the memories of the events of SA2 must've slipped Sonics mind, because the only words exchanged were mindless banter ending with, "Hey, that's my line!"

Fuck that shit.

Shadow the Hedgehog then attempted to clean up the aborted mess of Shadow's story.
It didn't work.

Rant aside, Shadow's return was completely unnecessary, and we got two sub-par games as a result. I believe Heroes shitty, shitty story was a result of Shadow. And let's not forget, without Shadow's return, we would not have had the misfortune of playing Shadow the Hedgehog. It would not have existed.

If you dick around in the fight with Devil Doom at the end of Shadow's Last mission (and we're talking like seven minutes of dicking around, so most people wouldn't hear this in their effort to finish the fight quickly), Eggman will chime in on the radio (or whatever's letting all the characters talk to Shadow) and admit that he picked Shadow up from the surface after the events of SA2 and nursed him back to health, so the Shadow in the game is the same Shadow as SA2's.

I know, renders his sacrifice completely pointless, doesn't it.

ShTH has Shadow robots out the butt, fuck knows what the plot means though.
Clearly it was just too deep to truly understand.

What was even more shocking was the meeting between Team Sonic and Team Dark. All of the memories of the events of SA2 must've slipped Sonics mind, because the only words exchanged were mindless banter ending with, "Hey, that's my line!"

Fuck that shit.
I think Sonic was supposed to be moderately surprised with his "talk about being stubborn and full of surprises" comment and I just figured Shadow was making a crappy joke off his own assumed demise with "it'll be a date to DIE for" but maybe i'm giving them too much credit.

If you dick around in the fight with Devil Doom at the end of Shadow's Last mission (and we're talking like seven minutes of dicking around, so most people wouldn't hear this in their effort to finish the fight quickly), Eggman will chime in on the radio (or whatever's letting all the characters talk to Shadow) and admit that he picked Shadow up from the surface after the events of SA2 and nursed him back to health, so the Shadow in the game is the same Shadow as SA2's.

I know, renders his sacrifice completely pointless, doesn't it.
Sayanora Shadow the Hedgehog my arse, my life is a lie but at least now I have the answers to this disastrous mess.

BlackJace

I think Sonic was supposed to be moderately surprised with his "talk about being stubborn and full of surprises" comment and I just figured Shadow was making a crappy joke off his own assumed demise with "it'll be a date to DIE for" but maybe i'm giving them too much credit.

That's a good assumption, but I'm leaning more to the fact that they got lazy with the writing and were banking that the player wouldn't remember SA2's story at that moment.

I mean, Shadow was presumed dead. The first reaction of Sonic AND his friends is to engage in ANOTHER fight to the death? Right after meeting up again?

Cmon son

Heroes's writing sucked all around, though. "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" isn't even grammatically correct. And then actually having a title drop at the ending - not sure if this was in the English version, but the last line of the Last Story in the Japanese has Jun'ichi Kanemaru proclaiming "SO! UI AA SONNIKKU HIROUZU!" I'm sorry, but I cannot even remotely take the phrase "Sonic Heroes" seriously in any context outside of the title of the game, and trying to make me take it seriously is just going to make me feel really uncomfortable.

Welcome to Sonic Team plots.

Why did Dr. Eggman seem so surprised when Rouge handed him a newspaper clipping about how Tails saved Station Square?

Why is the moon whole again in Sonic Heroes?

Why does Knuckles hang Sonic and Tails around even though it's been established he's anti-social and doesn't even really like Sonic?

I've heard the same guy wrote the plot to SA1, SA2, Heroes, Shadow and Sonic 06, and that makes sense, because all of those games seem to pick and choose what elements from the previous games they want to carry over while simultaneously assimilating random bits and pieces from other Sonic media (like the comics and TV shows) even if they are in direct contradiction to what has been previously established.

For putting so much emphasis on the narrative aspects of these games the dude writing them sure didn't give a shit about maintaining any level of consistency.

qq more

I was 11 when SA2 came out. I asked for the game for my birthday. I loved it. Then I got the Gamecube edition a year so later.

...And nowadays I think SA2 is a flawed as hell yet decent Sonic game with a terrible-ass story and Shadow should never came back. (I was never a huge fan of him to begin with). SA2's Chao Garden was totally worth the gamecube version purchase, though. Outside of Chao Garden, I'd play SA1 over 2 any day.

Heroes's writing sucked all around, though. "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" isn't even grammatically correct. And then actually having a title drop at the ending - not sure if this was in the English version, but the last line of the Last Story in the Japanese has Jun'ichi Kanemaru proclaiming "SO! UI AA SONNIKKU HIROUZU!" I'm sorry, but I cannot even remotely take the phrase "Sonic Heroes" seriously in any context outside of the title of the game, and trying to make me take it seriously is just going to make me feel really uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lv7PRf9B0#t=60s

The name drop is in the English version, too.

qq more

God, I really hate that design. Metal Sonic doesn't need to look "badass". He already looks badass in his classic self. BUT NOPE, SPIKEY AND EDGY SELLS!!!! Thank god they scrapped that shit after Heroes.

I actually liked Neo Metal Sonic. But then, they had to have him turn into a giant dragon thing the instant he gets a proper reveal - and as hokey as Neo Metal Sonic looks in retrospect, that was even worse. Ugh.

Oh, getting back to how much Heroes's writing sucks: "Long time no see Sonic, my loathsome copy." Nobody talks like that. Ever. Nobody.

nns3d

Sonic Heroes was probably the first Sonic game when I actually cringed at some of the one-liners. So bad. It was also the first time I was dissapointed with a Sonic title, something about it didn't click with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom