• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I wouldn't deny Lava Reef Act 1 having one of the best songs in the game. It was really awesome.

...By the way, am I the only one that liked Sandopolis' theme? Both acts.

I actually do like Act 1 a lot. I'm indifferent towards Act 2's music.

Edit: There's a Hill Top defense force? :D

qq more

The more I listen to the genesis soundtracks, the more I realized how insulting Sonic 4's music was. Outside of a few, Jun really did a halfassed job.

TheOGB

Banned
I think it's telling that some of the best quite a few tracks in Sonic 4 (both episodes) sound like they could be from a Shadow the Hedgehog sequel

qq more

There were some pretty nice songs in Episode 2 at least. Sky Fortress Act 2 comes to mind. But ehhh I wouldn't go that far with the Shadow comparison.

Kokonoe

Banned
I honestly like every single song from the classic Sonic games. (I need to relisten to Sonic CD's OST since I played that recently, so for now this game doesn't count)

TheOGB

Banned
There were some pretty nice songs in Episode 2 at least. Sky Fortress Act 2 comes to mind. But ehhh I wouldn't go that far with the Shadow comparison.
That's probably in my top 3 songs of Ep II and I think it wouldn't be out of place in a Shadow game

I don't like it any more than you do :T

qq more

Guilty pleasure: I like the Death Egg theme... and its final boss theme... and the first two Sylvania Castle songs. Am I crazy?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know Beef's got my back with regards to Hill Top Zone. Eh, it's not my thing, really.

I'd be up for posting screengrabs or photos while playing some Sonic games in this thread if anyone feels like it. Just... not until Wednesday evening cuz I have to study, lol.

The more I listen to the genesis soundtracks, the more I realized how insulting Sonic 4's music was. Outside of a few, Jun really did a halfassed job.
I need something like Sonic CD's JP soundtrack again. I popped that in my car today, and it was some goooooooooooood stuff.

Hill Top hate?

PluyX.png

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't even imagine how many playthroughs I've had of Sonic & Knuckles. I still play it every three months or so, so I recall all the details. I play Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 pretty frequently too.

BHZ Mayor

Come on now. Hill Top is nowhere near the best song in the game, but it's not THAT bad. It just has to compete with the rest of the Sonic 2 soundtrack, in which most of the songs are contenders for best in the series.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hill Top Zone is a weird tune, but I think it fits the stage, and it appeals to me that it's different. Different doesn't = good, but I think it's decent enough.

big's 2000g fish on ice cap in SA1 is annoying the fuck out of me, I am sure it was never this hard on the dreamcast, something with the fish spawns in the xbla version seem weird.

Also SADX broke chao races so damn much, no matter how much I level my poor little chao he will nearly always loose because the AI auto level with him, still not won the first pearl race yet...

SA2 chao garden was tons better anyway with the stamina bar but I never remember chao being this shitty in the first game all those years ago.

TheOGB

Banned
Hill Top Zone is like a precursor to the Sonic 4 soundtrack.

BERDERDER DER DER DER DER DERDER

MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOW OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW BLERT
Ha

You know what's a great Sonic 2 song?

Oil Ocean Zone
Hell yeah it is

And whenever I think of Oil Ocean I think of Mystic Cave Zone

Come on now. Hill Top is nowhere near the best song in the game, but it's not THAT bad. It just has to compete with the rest of the Sonic 2 soundtrack, in which most of the songs are contenders for best in the series.
Yeah, it's not terrible, it's just the instruments if anything. And the fact that every other song in Sonic 2 is damn amazing.

Dammit, now I wanna play through Sonic 2.

qq more

Cool, there's people who actually likes Oil Ocean's theme. It's one of the best desert-esque song in platformers. (Even though the level itself isn't exactly desert themed.)

Kokonoe

Banned
big's 2000g fish on ice cap in SA1 is annoying the fuck out of me, I am sure it was never this hard on the dreamcast, something with the fish spawns in the xbla version seem weird.

Also SADX broke chao races so damn much, no matter how much I level my poor little chao he will nearly always loose because the AI auto level with him, still not won the first pearl race yet...

SA2 chao garden was tons better anyway with the stamina bar but I never remember chao being this shitty in the first game all those years ago.

I forgot what exactly it was, but they changed how fishing controls I believe in Sonic Adventure DX. Something with B. I recall being confused myself.

Hell yeah it is

And whenever I think of Oil Ocean I think of Mystic Cave Zone

Would make a perfect Halloween jam.

qq more

I tried replaying SADX a few years ago. I remember beating everyone's story BUT Big's because I could not fucking beat any of his damn levels. I thought I was just rusty at it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Nah, it's something they changed because I recall playing the Xbox 360 version and wondering why I couldn't catch the fish. Once you know how to do it, it's very easy.

You'll have to google search it. (I had to do that at the time)

I'd probably remember if I actually liked the fishing stages, however I do not.

Sciz

My oft-changing picks for the classics are floating around in at least a couple different threads (like this one), so I won't bother doing it again just now. Suffice it to say that the difference between the best and the worst in any one of them is pretty marginal.

Actually, here, lemme crosspost my post from the music comparison thread, it's semi-relevant.

Sonic 1 has a bunch of these to varying degrees:

The ascending bassline in Bobby Brown's Every Little Step shows up at the start of Spring Yard Zone. It's debatable, but there's enough stylistic similarity between the two songs that I'm willing to argue it's the source.
Andy Williams' Music To Watch Girls By has obvious similarities to Marble Zone.
The first half of the synth line running throughout Duran Duran's Planet Earth is a close match for the opening bars of Final Zone.
Blade Runner (End Titles) by Vangelis is so clearly the source for most of Scrap Brain Zone that it hurts. Same basic chord progression and similar instrumentation all the way down to the occasional timpani fill.

There's also an easy one in 8-bit Sonic 2: Compare the boss theme with 808 State's Cubik.

Going the other way, most people know that Sonic 2's ending became Sweet Sweet Sweet, but Nakamura also turned Green Hill Zone into Marry Me and Starlight Zone into Kusuriyubi no Kesshin. At least he owns the source material in all three cases.

Nah, it's something they changed because I recall playing the Xbox 360 version and wondering why I couldn't catch the fish. Once you know how to do it, it's very easy.

You'll have to google search it. (I had to do that at the time)

I'd probably remember if I actually liked the fishing stages, however I do not.
Yea im pretty sure if they ha big stages back to back sa2 style you can be his story in like 3 mins. I know damn well once fighting chaos with the taill with big soon as the fight started I lured and caught froggy instantly I know it was like 10 secs or something.

I know Beef's got my back with regards to Hill Top Zone. Eh, it's not my thing, really.

I'd be up for posting screengrabs or photos while playing some Sonic games in this thread if anyone feels like it. Just... not until Wednesday evening cuz I have to study, lol.
You should know that being in agreement with Beef is like being some sort of hipster.
How does that screengrab thing work anyway? seems like a long and exhausting process.

Hill Top hate?

http://i.imgur.com/PluyX.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I bet that pitiful small hand is yours Beef, you are shamed with your Kofi size hands.

[quote="Kokonoe, post: 40457367"]Would make a perfect Halloween jam.[/QUOTE]
It tends to remind me of Scooby Doo mixed with a fairground, so I guess it's like the funland robot given musical form.

[quote="Megadrive, post: 40458952"]Hill Top Zone is the best music from Sonic 2. Real talk.[/QUOTE]
I like it but lets not go nuts, Chemical Plant is the king.

i'm actually pretty cool with the metropolis stages aside from the exploding starfish things, Mystic Cave is the one zone that I don't really like from Sonic 2. Then again it's a cave based stage so I don't know what I was expecting really, caves almost always suck.

The only thing that's at mystic cave are a fear of crush deaths and a boss battle that has the audacity to have no rings after the checkpoint in case you die there, i'll leave the spelunking to you guys.

Actually it's not my least favourite zone in Sonic 2 because Wing Fortress is a stage that exists, what a mess.

BlackJace

The only thing that's at mystic cave are a fear of crush deaths and a boss battle that has the audacity to have no rings after the checkpoint in case you die there, i'll leave the spelunking to you guys.

Actually it's not my least favourite zone in Sonic 2 because Wing Fortress is a stage that exists, what a mess.

Oh my god, Wing Fortress was assy.

And when discussing Mystic Cave, I was talking about the music. The level design wasn't great at all. (The Pit of Doom)

qq more

Wing Fortress... Okay I take back what I said about Metropolis because seriously, FUCK Wing Fortress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom