• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure and unfiltered cold, hard truth. The DKC soundtracks are... kind of like Heroes', actually, just better produced by an order of magnitude. Solid background music, but not very listenable independently.

I actually kind of agree with this. There's like, three to four tracks in the entire DKC trilogy that I actually like.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And Sciz and Schala, WHAT IS THIS?!, I thought we were music buddies, you were supposed to be my friends!
Great, my bf and I are now arguing about this again.
KuGsj.gif

My opinion remains unchanged!

I dunno, I kinda agree. There are some great standalone tracks in each DKC game, but their soundtracks as a whole are lacking, for lack of a better word.

Sciz

I really like in particular the character themes, to me the good out weighs some of the bad.

Yeah, I don't include the vocal themes in with the rest of the criticism. They're corny as hell, We Can and Sonic Heroes almost unlistenably so, but they're otherwise pretty good as far as the series goes.

More like impure and dirty warm, soggy LIES!

Hey, some people dig atmosphere. Great for them. I compare Alexander Brandon's atmospheric albums to his Tyrian/Jazz 2/Deus Ex work, the games win every time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Every time I put Sonic 2006 in my PS3, I end up feeling very nauseous while I play it.

Good God, this city looks like crap and the music sounds like Star Wars. All the NPC animations outside of Alberto Robert and Lord Regis are so bad
both characters' animations are bad but they're the only two people I remember
. Edit: I'd forgotten how much I disliked the camera during Egg Cerberus.

Yeah, I don't include the vocal themes in with the rest of the criticism. They're corny as hell, We Can and Sonic Heroes almost unlistenably so, but they're otherwise pretty good as far as the series goes.
I really like What I'm Made Of...

Pure and unfiltered cold, hard truth. The DKC soundtracks are... kind of like Heroes', actually, just better produced by an order of magnitude. Solid background music, but not very listenable independently.

Great, my bf and I are now arguing about this again.
KuGsj.gif

My opinion remains unchanged!

I dunno, I kinda agree. There are some great standalone tracks in each DKC game, but their soundtracks as a whole are lacking, for lack of a better word.

Comparing to Sonic freaking Heroes?!
nj4kp.gif

TheOGB

Banned
Eh, I dunno. Sonic Heroes was about the time it solidified in my mind that Jun Senoue was not a fan of melody. The song for Rail Canyon doesn't even feel finished; it's all chorus. Like somebody told him, "I dunno, just screw around on the guitar for a couple minutes."

It has a few songs I like - but most of the ones I like are the ones Jun Senoue did not solo with his guitar (and boy, are there a lot of those).
Sounds like the precursor to Shadow as well

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With a doctorate in Beef, yeah i'm thinking this doesn't help your argument. some mad cow disease running wild in this thread.
Perhaps it's a doctorate in food science/nutrition with a specialization in beef! He could have taken music as a breadth course. >.>

BTW, I've noticed a lot of people with tags lately. What's up with that? (Probably something I missed in OT because I don't hang around there, with the exception of sporting event threads.)

Sciz

Comparing to Sonic freaking Heroes?!

What can I say, it was topical.

With a doctorate in Beef, yeah i'm thinking this doesn't help your argument. some mad cow disease running wild in this thread.

Don't worry, customs made sure I was safe from that.

Wasn't Senoue in charge of composing from SA1 - Shadow? at some point it looks like he just got creatively exhausted.

Yeah, he was. His style completely shifted going into SA2 for no readily apparent reason other than that SA2 itself was a shift in tone for the series, and he never recovered from the change. Everyone he worked with on 3D Blast and SA1 is still around, so it's not as though there was some positive creative influence that left. He just... changed. Episode 2 has brief flashes of the composer he used to be (and I don't mean the literal Twinkle Park quote), but they're brief and held back by his own faux-retro restraints. Or perhaps they're there because of the restraints, I don't know.

Kokonoe

Banned
After reintroducing myself to Sonic Color's OST, Secret Rings OST, and Sonic CD's OST(the ones I weren't entirely familiar with) I can say that out of all the Sonic games I've played, only Sonic CD (US&JPN) is the only one I see as lackluster. It lacks a lot of emotion the other Sonic games have, and it also lacks a particular "cool" or "exciting" vibe Sonic games usually have. It's not bad for the change, but I'm saying the music isn't up to par. Oh, and I can say Episode II is lackluster as well in the music department, it's more of a hit and miss.

I have not listened to the Black Knight OST because I haven't played the game yet. So essentially I'm saying I like the OST from these Sonic games.

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Advance
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic 2006
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic 4 Episode I

Drago

BTW, I've noticed a lot of people with tags lately. What's up with that? (Probably something I missed in OT because I don't hang around there, with the exception of sporting event threads.)

There was a tag fishing thread by bishoptl a few days ago. Pretty much everyone who posted before he stopped got a tag.

I missed out on it and I was online at the time too :'(

BHZ Mayor

Perhaps it's a doctorate in food science/nutrition with a specialization in beef! He could have taken music as a breadth course. >.>

Tag fishing thread. And you made the right decision on staying away from OT. People say gaming side is bad, but OT is just as sanity-degrading, sometimes worse.

You have reached the bottom of your barrel, BUT DON'T WORRY I HAVE PLENTY HERE IN DKC!

And yeah I think there was some kind of tag thread in OT earlier this week (Drago has it covered), but don't worry I can simulate the experience for you...

Dark Schala
DKC isn't your Tea
(Today, 03:31 AM)

See it rhymes and everything, and it's unfortunately true.

What can I say, it was topical.

Don't worry, customs made sure I was safe from that.
It was a low blow, this topic will fall aside for now but if the Video game music community idea ever gets off the ground we'll no doubt encounter this situation again and we're going to throw down, tangle, rumble, dual, and so on in that fashion. No ones opinions will change and I will weep for you.

Tag fishing thread. I managed to get lucky with a good one.

Drago

Oooooh, so mods give you tags. Didn't know :p

Not mods, admins do. Get it right :p

They rarely do, if ever. Maybe one day I'll say something stupid and get one or I'll win a bet or something.

Still kicking myself over missing the tag fish thread :/

Sciz

After reintroducing myself to Sonic Color's OST, Secret Rings OST, and Sonic CD's OST(the ones I weren't entirely familiar with) I can say that out of all the Sonic games I've played, only Sonic CD (US&JPN) is the only one I see as lackluster. It lacks a lot of emotion the other Sonic games have, and it also lacks a particular "cool" or "exciting" vibe Sonic games usually have. It's not bad for the change, but I'm saying the music isn't up to par.

You're the first person I've ever seen who doesn't care for either SCD soundtrack.

(In particular, saying that the JP music doesn't have an exciting vibe is Grade A Crazy Talk, but I don't have the time to futilely throw lots of Youtube links at you right now.)

It was a low blow, this topic will fall aside for now but if the Video game music community idea ever gets off the ground we'll no doubt encounter this situation again and we're going to throw down, tangle, rumble, dual, and so on in that fashion. No ones opinions will change and I will weep for you.
DKC's music is so thoroughly unexciting that at one point I actually deleted the copies of it I had to free up hard drive space. At some point I should go back and selectively dig up some of it again, but I haven't missed it much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah you usually have to say something really silly/stupid, make a funny/dumb thread, or say something really smart on a continuous basis to get a tag. I thought all mods could give people tags, though. Huh, so it's only admins.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. :)

...but don't worry I can simulate the experience for you...

Dark Schala
DKC isn't your Tea
(Today, 03:31 AM)

See it rhymes and everything, and it's unfortunately true.
But that would almost make it seem like I don't care about the series or anything. :(

Tag fishing thread. And you made the right decision on staying away from OT. People say gaming side is bad, but OT is just as sanity-degrading, sometimes worse.
Every time I browse OT I see a headline that's really depressing.

Sometimes you get some... interesting... or good threads, but those don't seem to be as plentiful as the news/debate threads.

Drago

Yeah you usually have to say something really silly/stupid, make a funny/dumb thread, or say something really smart on a continuous basis to get a tag. I thought all mods could give people tags, though. Huh, so it's only admins.

I dunno... some stupid posts get recognized while others go unnoticed. The only stupid thread in my recent memore that got someone a tag was the Seinfeld one.

They don't give them out often. I figure the only way I'll get one is if I won a bet or I'm in the right place at the right time. Or wait 3 years for another tag fishing thread.

So any hints, news, anything about the next Sonic game? :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Sonic Adventure 3 rumour was the latest one. Otherwise, I'm not sure. We're getting SA2 later this year, so I guess Sonic 4: Episode 2 and SA2 are this year's Sonic games. Hm.

Did Dr. Eggman finally get the tag he always wanted, I wonder?

Actually I was always under the assumption you didn't.
Mm, I guess that wouldn't be totally off-base. In my mind, it's not that I don't care about it, it's just that I'm not very attached to it; not enough to get me talking about it a lot. I like DKC2. I remember liking DKC1 growing up, but upon playing it years later I didn't like it as much. DKC2 was really the best one in the SNES three, imo. DKC3 was one I felt indifferent towards.

And I feel the same way as AniHawk does about DKCR, unfortunately. I completed it and liked the artstyle (particularly the silhouetted stuff), but I didn't find it super-compelling like others did.

Might have to reflect on it a little more, but maybe you might be right.

Drago

The Sonic Adventure 3 rumour was the latest one. Otherwise, I'm not sure. We're getting SA2 later this year, so I guess Sonic 4: Episode 2 and SA2 are this year's Sonic games. Hm.

Did Dr. Eggman finally get the tag he always wanted, I wonder?

A Junior tag, yeah

And SA2 is fine, I guess. Never did finish that one

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hrm. You know, Nocturnowl might be right about his assertion. I don't have much of an attachment, but I still end up playing the games to see what's new and what stuck around from previous games. But I sorta do that with a lot of series; Kingdom Hearts being another example, though I'm not purchasing KH3D until it drops in price. BbS was the only KH game I legitimately liked.

A Junior tag, yeah

And SA2 is fine, I guess. Never did finish that one
Aww... He tried so hard, though.

I've been thinking about this since last night, and I think I want a Sonic game on either portable. It's mostly because I was watching the LP of Sonic Generations on my Vita with the YT app, though. >.>

Sonic and All-Stars Racing on Vita and 3DS might come close, but that's more of a Sega reunion racing game as opposed to a platformer. I mostly want a new platformer. I'm in the mood for one.

Anyone else planning on getting the Bonus Edition? I might. Not sure which platform I'll get it on, though (Vita or PS3, though I imagine the PS3 version would be better).

There is a list of all the admins and mods somewhere but I don't know where it is
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showgroups.php

Drago

Anyone else planning on getting the Bonus Edition? I might. Not sure which platform I'll get it on, though (Vita or PS3, though I imagine the PS3 version would be better).

I plan on getting the game at WiiU launch if money allows, so if the Bonus version is there, I'll be there.

And thank you for the link :)

Positive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40326844&postcount=29

???

ShadiWulf

Hrm. You know, Nocturnowl might be right about his assertion. I don't have much of an attachment, but I still end up playing the games to see what's new and what stuck around from previous games. But I sorta do that with a lot of series; Kingdom Hearts being another example, though I'm not purchasing KH3D until it drops in price. BbS was the only KH game I legitimately liked.

Aww... He tried so hard, though.

I've been thinking about this since last night, and I think I want a Sonic game on either portable. It's mostly because I was watching the LP of Sonic Generations on my Vita with the YT app, though. >.>

Sonic and All-Stars Racing on Vita and 3DS might come close, but that's more of a Sega reunion racing game as opposed to a platformer. I mostly want a new platformer. I'm in the mood for one.

I got the bonus edition pre-ordered on amazon, its $40 right now, doubt it will stay at that price, i'd be shocked if it did.

Wasn't there something about code for a possible Vita version being found in the PS3 version of Generations, or was that bullshit? Either way, that probably would have pushed me over the edge in regards to purchasing a Vita.

I suppose I should be grateful I haven't gone tag-fishing, honestly. Some people wind up with pretty cool ones, but most seem to be highly degrading to the earner. Frankly, I'm just glad mine isn't "Junior Member".

In other news, getting back to Sonic Heroes music, this might be the best mashup I've heard in a while (actually I heard it a few months ago, but the recent discussion had me drag it out of Firefox's history).

I got the bonus edition pre-ordered on amazon, its $40 right now, doubt it will stay at that price, i'd be shocked if it did.

well it does seem kind of odd that it's $40 at the moment, then again most new Sonic titles are released at the $50 mark. Add to that the numerous places selling Anarchy Reigns for $30...perhaps it's a new SEGA pricing strategy? Of course it could be Amazon being Amazon, still I want to know the exclusives to each version before I make my pre-order(though I'm kind of leaning towards PS3 again).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hey guys gametrailers has a new countdown up and sonic takes top honours

Can't order from the States, and Amazon Canada doesn't have it listed because Amazon Canada is terrible.

Wasn't there something about code for a possible Vita version being found in the PS3 version of Generations, or was that bullshit? Either way, that probably would have pushed me over the edge in regards to purchasing a Vita.
Why don't I remember that? Man, I would like both Vita and 3DS to get Sonic games. I like playing portables a little more than consoles, but that's because portables are more convenient for me.

I suppose I should be grateful I haven't gone tag-fishing, honestly. Some people wind up with pretty cool ones, but most seem to be highly degrading to the earner. Frankly, I'm just glad mine isn't "Junior Member".
I think they tried making an effort to remove really offensive or hurtful tags a few months ago.

When I was a Junior a year ago I ended up feeling like I should be walking on eggshells until I got Member status, haha.

I still say Crash had the worst fall.
Hmmm... guess Kabouter lied or he doesn't have privileges or something. :/
I don't think he lied, he probably just didn't know.
*walks into thread, sees DKC soundtrack hate*
I...I thought I knew you people....
*walks out, tears in eyes*
I don't HATE the soundtrack, I just think that, aside from a few spectacular songs, it's not all that great.

After the day I've had, I should kill you where you stand. If it was just DKC1, I might agree, but DKC2 has one of my favorite soundtracks in gaming.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, that sucks. I hope you find a solution and that it's a one-time thing.

*walks into thread, sees DKC soundtrack hate*
I...I thought I knew you people....
*walks out, tears in eyes*
Heeeey, hate is a strong word. I don't hate 'em. I think Stickerbrush Symphony and Aquatic Ambience are good, but the rest of the soundtracks kind of don't stand on their own two feet for me. I think it's totally fine that people like them! They're just not for me.

I still say Crash had the worst fall.
Yeah. Crash was the alternative to Sonic and Mario, and someone whom I felt was the PS mascot for a while.

Crash just went poof.

Alright I made a thread.

Let's see is anyone disagrees with #1 :p
Oh you already know the answer to that.
KuGsj.gif

thisisneogaf.png Edit: it's also turning into a Final Fantasy thread.

Sciz

After the day I've had, I should kill you where you stand. If it was just DKC1, I might agree, but DKC2 has one of my favorite soundtracks in gaming.

Then I'll die defending my opinion. In the original post that got dredged up, I even said DKC2 was largely the exception! I've actually been playing through it lately and liking more of the music than I remembered (while simultaneously being more annoyed by the game design than I remembered too). The music is objectively good, but a lot of it just isn't to my taste; too much time spent setting up the atmosphere and ambiance, not enough on the meat and potatoes of a good strong melody. Sometimes I dig that (e.g. this Deus Ex track, among others), but it's a hit and miss thing, and that includes even DKC2 (and Deus Ex, for as much as I can and will bang on about how great its music is).

TheOGB

Banned
I can't think of a single enjoyable Crash game after CTR. I think that says a lot.

Even Spyro of all franchises managed a decent title in the past few years. (Granted it was a GBA offshoot, but still...)
Twinsanity was pretty good, but that was probably the only noteworthy thing for anybody that didn't keep up with him after the PS1 games. Hell, I was surprised people were recommending Crash of the Titans over in a thread on Gaming side recently
I found the two most recent games by Radical to be pretty decent. I just didn't expect anyone on GAF to like em, let alone recommend them to someone else. :p

But it is sad how he just kinda died with a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom