• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Pure and unfiltered cold, hard truth. The DKC soundtracks are... kind of like Heroes', actually, just better produced by an order of magnitude. Solid background music, but not very listenable independently.

89USQ.gif

Sciz

Deus Ex's entire soundtrack was ace. Still frequently return to it after playing/beating it for the first time last year. Admittedly some of the more ambient tracks are weak (like the Wan Chai heliport and canal themes, or Vandenberg's complete lack of music), but it's more than made up for in so many other tracks, it's not funny.
Track down a proper rip of the game, if you haven't already. The OST is alright, but as good as those are, it's missing most of the battle tracks that constitute most of the game's best work.

Actually, most of Alexander Brandon's work is awesome in general, honestly.
<3

One of the greats, even if he doesn't quite have his mojo from ten years ago anymore. (edit: Or does he? :eek:)

http://i.imgur.com/89USQ.gif
Two wrestling .gifs. Will someone else chime in with a third? Stay tuned!

TheOGB

Banned
Cannot unsee 80s anime rock/techno music video

Listening to that song will certainly be interesting from now on.

Question time: Which team was more terrible -- Team Chaotix or Team Rose? (Originally I was going to say Dark or Chaotix, but Dark has ANNIHILATE! ANNIHILATE! FIRE! WORTHLESS CONSUMER MODELS!)

Question time: Which team was more terrible -- Team Chaotix or Team Rose? (Originally I was going to say Dark or Chaotix, but Dark has ANNIHILATE! ANNIHILATE! FIRE! WORTHLESS CONSUMER MODELS!)

Team Chaotix are detectives you want on your side, so it clearly can't be them.

Team Rose's stages were actually the perfect length and didn't drag on for 15+ minutes like everyone else's eventually did.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's been too long since I've played, I just remember enjoying Team Dark and Team Sonic. Team Dark was the most difficult if I recall, while Team Sonic was an easier version of Team Dark.

I do remember there was one playthrough that I didn't care too highly for compared to the rest, though. Might have been Team Rose, but I'm not sure.

It's been too long since I've played, I just remember enjoying Team Dark and Team Sonic. Team Dark was the most difficult if I recall, while Team Sonic was an easier version of Team Dark.

I do remember there was one playthrough that I didn't care too highly for compared to the rest, though. Might have been Team Rose, but I'm not sure.

It was basically Team Sonic as Normal mode, Team Dark as Hard and Team Rose as Easy. Chaotix were mission-based and just had you collecting a certain number of whatsits in each stage.

OMG Aero

There was a tag fishing thread by bishoptl a few days ago. Pretty much everyone who posted before he stopped got a tag.

I missed out on it and I was online at the time too :'(
Tag threads are dumb. If I got a tag I would want to have earned it with a post not just be randomly given one by a bored staff member. I would rather remain tagless than have a random unrelated one with no story behind it.

Hrm. You know, Nocturnowl might be right about his assertion. I don't have much of an attachment, but I still end up playing the games to see what's new and what stuck around from previous games. But I sorta do that with a lot of series; Kingdom Hearts being another example, though I'm not purchasing KH3D until it drops in price. BbS was the only KH game I legitimately liked.
What tipped me off what you'll pop up in pretty much any other platforming franchise thread.

Then I'll die defending my opinion. In the original post that got dredged up, I even said DKC2 was largely the exception! I've actually been playing through it lately and liking more of the music than I remembered (while simultaneously being more annoyed by the game design than I remembered too). The music is objectively good, but a lot of it just isn't to my taste; too much time spent setting up the atmosphere and ambiance, not enough on the meat and potatoes of a good strong melody. Sometimes I dig that (e.g. this Deus Ex track, among others), but it's a hit and miss thing, and that includes even DKC2 (and Deus Ex, for as much as I can and will bang on about how great its music is).
DKC2 largely the exception, hmm redemption!
Slow build is part of the charm for me, of course that's not for everyone, it just seems that lately I see a lot of "it has no melody!" which is balderdash, it just takes a while getting to it and in the cases where it doesn't, well I wouldn't say it's a bad thing and it's pretty uncommon, stuff like Misty Menace is actually a rarity in the trilogy.
Reminds of oh how I swiftly slammed Castlevania Lords of Shadow for having a lame soundtrack but the reality is it just had a far different approach that i'd like.

Random as hell point but I wonder if my preference for Ice Cap zone Act 2 over Act 1 is because of the lore subdued build up style of it?

Two wrestling .gifs. Will someone else chime in with a third? Stay tuned!
Before DK shaking his head I has other wrestling related plans but figured that it conveyed too much bitter hatred or something. So almost!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I can't think of a single enjoyable Crash game after CTR. I think that says a lot.

Even Spyro of all franchises managed a decent title in the past few years. (Granted it was a GBA offshoot, but still...)

Wrath of Cortex for PS2, Xbox and GC was actually pretty good, even if it was basically just a rehash of levels from Crash 1-3, and had some seriously godawful loading times on PS2. I guess Crash died alone and unloved in a ditch after that game :/

Wrath of Cortex for PS2, Xbox and GC was actually pretty good, even if it was basically just a rehash of levels from Crash 1-3, and had some seriously godawful loading times on PS2. I guess Crash died alone and unloved in a ditch after that game :/

Funny story about Wrath of Cortex, around two years ago one of my friends pulled out his original X Box and was singing the game praises, I assured him that it was nowhere near as good as he remembered to which he assumed I must be full of shit.
So we played the game in a single sitting and at the the end he was a changed man and understood what I was talking about, it's a passable game but well I wouldn't call it good, Crash Bandicoot games feel so limiting, among all the platformers i've played I have to say I rank them pretty low yet there is some sort of fun to be had.

Oh yeah that loading, first time I played it was the PS2 version, I think I spent more time watching Crash fall through a void than playing the actual game.

And then last year one of my other friends got the PS1 games through Playstation plus so we started going through CB2 for nostalgias sake, well that was a rude awakening as we caved in halfway through, so in a way you're right, Wrath of Cortex is just as "good" as the old games.

qq more

Team Rose's stages were actually the perfect length and didn't drag on for 15+ minutes like everyone else's eventually did.

It was honestly the only reason I even bothered beating the game. Yes, I only beat the game as Team Rose. I was going to as Team Chaotix then that fucking mansion level happened. And I was going to beat it as Team Sonic but then I fucked up at that Alligator chase in the forest level, and that chase went on for forever. Team Dark I just gave up at the Power Plant level because the game is so poorly designed and a harder mode is the last thing I ever wanted. What.the.fuck is wrong with this game?

And I had to suffer because of Amy and Cream are honestly fucking terrible characters and their voices makes me wanna strangle kittens and puppies. It's bad enough the game is extremely embarrassing in the first place. Fuck Team Rose and fuck the fact they were the only ones with decent length stages. Fuck Sonic Heroes. FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME.

FUCK

oh and dont get me started on the special stages

good

fucking

goddddddddddd

At least 3D Generations made them fun, even if they ended up being too easy.

EDIT: You know what though? At least Big was there, that eased up the pain. Good ol' Duke Nukem the Cat!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Funny story about Wrath of Cortex, around two years ago one of my friends pulled out his original X Box and was singing the game praises, I assured him that it was nowhere near as good as he remembered to which he assumed I must be full of shit.
So we played the game in a single sitting and at the the end he was a changed man and understood what I was talking about, it's a passable game but well I wouldn't call it good, Crash Bandicoot games feel so limiting, among all the platformers i've played I have to say I rank them pretty low yet there is some sort of fun to be had.

Oh yeah that loading, first time I played it was the PS2 version, I think I spent more time watching Crash fall through a void than playing the actual game.

And then last year one of my other friends got the PS1 games through Playstation plus so we started going through CB2 for nostalgias sake, well that was a rude awakening as we caved in halfway through, so in a way you're right, Wrath of Cortex is just as "good" as the old games.

Crash 1-3 >>>>>>>> Mario 64

Come at me,
Super Mario
bros.

The Sonic Heroes Special Stages are like controlling a bar of soap on an ice rink with your eyes closed. It attempts to appeal to the classic mindset but has none of the skills to actually make it fun.

Which pretty much sums up the entirety of the game.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Sonic Heroes Special Stages are like controlling a bar of soap on an ice rink with your eyes closed. It attempts to appeal to the classic mindset but has none of the skills to actually make it fun.

Which pretty much sums up the entirety of the game.

Only special stage I think is great is Blue Sphere.

I suppose I like the Colors DS special stage because it's simple and not bothersome.

Track down a proper rip of the game, if you haven't already. The OST is alright, but as good as those are, it's missing most of the battle tracks that constitute most of the game's best work.
I took the original .utx files and split them up by track, so don't worry, I'm covered. That should theoretically have every track ever used in the game (and a few that aren't, like two tracks from UNATCO's file that segue into its Dialog theme - one gracefully, one not so gracefully).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whoa, a mod posted in here.

What tipped me off what you'll pop up in pretty much any other platforming franchise thread.

Random as hell point but I wonder if my preference for Ice Cap zone Act 2 over Act 1 is because of the lore subdued build up style of it?
Haha, yeah, now that you say that, that's right. And if I don't like something I don't post in the thread much or even at all. If there's another DKC in the making, I'll probably buy it and play it and post in that game's OT, but that might be about it.

It's kinda weird. I don't treat RPGs the same way, even though I really should. I've played a ton of garbage RPGs, games that I feel are mediocre, or games I don't feel awesome/enthusiastic about, yet I find myself posting in their OTs (Ex 1; Ex 2, Ex 3, Ex 4) giving detailed advice or something. It's this weird mindset that I have where even if I don't like something, I'll still play it just to get a good grasp of how it works and what it is so I could frame my criticisms better.

I like this quote a lot.
With that said, I am cautiously optimistic for FFXIII-2. I hope it explains more of the mythology--it's very intriguing.
Famous last words on my behalf.

I like Ice Cap Zone Act 2 more than Act 1 too. The backing synth chords with more things like the beat, and the synth bass building up to the main Act 1 melody in a subdued manner was quite pleasant.

Team Rose is irritating as hell in terms of some of the characters involved but their stages were manageable. Kinda.

Team Dark has Shadow in it when he should have died going back to his home planet after Sonic Adventure 2.

Get that CTR > Mario Kart bullshit outta here.

Especially after MK7.
You mean especially after MKDS, that said I completely understand the sentiment that CTR poops on MK64 and arguably DD.

You know what, i'm going to give the Crash series some credit for Ripper Roo, I love that guy and anyone who dares to reach him first on the character select in CTR will be beaten with my controller...maybe.

Haha, yeah, now that you say that, that's right. And if I don't like something I don't post in the thread much or even at all. If there's another DKC in the making, I'll probably buy it and play it and post in that game's OT, but that might be about it.

It's kinda weird. I don't treat RPGs the same way, even though I really should. I've played a ton of garbage RPGs, games that I feel are mediocre, or games I don't feel awesome/enthusiastic about, yet I find myself posting in their OTs (Ex 1; Ex 2, Ex 3, Ex 4) giving detailed advice or something. It's this weird mindset that I have where even if I don't like something, I'll still play it just to get a good grasp of how it works and what it is so I could frame my criticisms better.
I get where you're coming from, sometimes you've just got to push through a game so when the critiquing time comes you actually have some sort of footing, right now i'm playing through Ratchet & Clank: a Crack in Time despite the fact that I couldn't bring myself to finish Tools of Destruction on account of finding the game kind of ho-hum.
And while this one feels a lot better I still have gripes with the gameplay but damn it i'm going to finish this one anyway or else I don't feel like I have much of a legitimate claim to analyse it. I push forward in the hopes of another Nefarious cutscene.

I like Ice Cap Zone Act 2 more than Act 1 too. The backing synth chords with more things like the beat, and the synth bass building up to the main Act 1 melody in a subdued manner was quite pleasant.
I've just always found Act 1 too repetitive, i'm honestly a bit perplexed at its lofty placement among Sonic songs, feels like half the song got cut out at some point, still good mind you.

Double Dash and DS are mixed bags for me. There are highs and lows.

But yeah I agree that CTR is superior to 64.

Hmm what would you say was the main difference between DS and 7? new powersliding and return of the coin system aside I felt those games were pretty similar in a good way, kind of like if you enjoy one you'd like the other unless the lack of snaking in 7 is seen as a negative or vice versa for DS.

Oh I guess there's always the limited and not so great online of MKDS as a deterrent, MK7 certainly has that over DS, shame about the community idea getting bungled by one odd decision.

BlackJace

Hmm what would you say was the main difference between DS and 7? new powersliding and return of the coin system aside I felt those games were pretty similar in a good way, kind of like if you enjoy one you'd like the other unless the lack of snaking in 7 is seen as a negative or vice versa for DS.

Oh I guess there's always the limited and not so great online of MKDS as a deterrent, MK7 certainly has that over DS, shame about the community idea getting bungled by one odd decision.

MK7 felt like a more definitive package over DS. As it stands, its taken lessons learned from the older games and evolved into what I believe as the best the series can get thus far. I do miss snaking though.

DS was great, I liked it. It's just that compared to 7, it feels more barebones. It wasn't the leap in progression I wanted.

Also, oddly enough, I don't know if any title is going to fix the legitimacy of the Blue Shell. Seriously fuck that thing.

Drago

7 felt pretty barebones to me. Stupid STUPID character roster too. Fuckin Honey Queen over Waluigi?

Lack of single player vs. mode yet they still have single player battle... ugh. Brings the entire game down for me :/ Also fuck the blue shell. Worst thing about Mario Kart.

Also, lack of Mission Mode. Was one of my favorite things in MKDS... why not bring that back too?

Online in 7 is fantastic though, I'll give it that

MK7 felt like a more definitive package over DS. As it stands, its taken lessons learned from the older games and evolved into what I believe as the best the series can get thus far. I do miss snaking though.

DS was great, I liked it. It's just that compared to 7, it feels more barebones. It wasn't the leap in progression I wanted.

Also, oddly enough, I don't know if any title is going to fix the legitimacy of the Blue Shell. Seriously fuck that thing.

Funny that, if anything I thought that 7 would've been the best had it not been as barebones, a lack of mission mode and Single Player VS mode seemed like a really odd oversight after DS featured these things. That said the kart racing itself is probably at its best so that could trump all when it comes down to it.
As for the Blue Shell, well if it's any consolation MK7 is much better about allowing first place to maintain position, honestly the Blue Shell rarely annoys me outside of single player in which it becomes a tool of CPU screw jobbery.

BlackJace

Funny that, if anything I thought that 7 would've been the best had it not been as barebones, a lack of mission mode and Single Player VS mode seemed like a really odd oversight after DS featured these things. That said the kart racing itself is probably at its best so that could trump all when it comes down to it.
As for the Blue Shell, well if it's any consolation MK7 is much better about allowing first place to maintain position, honestly the Blue Shell rarely annoys me outside of single player in which it becomes a tool of CPU screw jobbery.

The lack of Single Player VS was questionable in 7. The mission mode felt superfluous to me really. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt as though the core mechanics of the Mario Kart series evolved into its best possible state in 7. Everything felt tight, and it clicked.

If someone were to ask me what Mario Kart was, I would show them 7, what I believe to be the finest that the series offers :p

The lack of Single Player VS was questionable in 7. The mission mode felt superfluous to me really. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt as though the core mechanics of the Mario Kart series evolved into its best possible state in 7. Everything felt tight, and it clicked.

If someone were to ask me what Mario Kart was, I would show them 7, what I believe to be the finest that the series offers :p

This is a good response.

Oh yeah this was a Sonic thread, so All Stars Racing Transformed looks pretty damn cool, shame that the few Sega characters I particularly want will probably miss out, I just hope they bring back the Bonanza Bros.

BlackJace

All Stars Transformed looks good. One thing I hope they do is give the courses more variety. Like, every sonic course was from Heroes...

qq more

What's with Sega and their fascination with Sonic Heroes? Was that game even that successful? Reception wise.

I mean, I swear to god. I see more hate on the game than love.

Drago

I'm gonna get the WiiU version of Transformed at launch. Having a good Kart racer for a system launch is always a happy thing for me. :)

I wonder what exclusive characters the WiiU version has... if any. Seeing Mario would be grand :D

What's with Sega and their fascination with Sonic Heroes? Was that game even that successful? Reception wise.

I mean, I swear to god. I see more hate on the game than love.
Well maybe they wanted to pull settings from the most recent Sonic game, saw that the most recent ones were in fact the hated 06 and Shadow, decided that Heroes was the lesser of the recent evils and at the same time the appearance of seaside hill is a nice cop out to substitute Green Hill Zone.

Could also be a resources thing, maybe they can translate Heroes stuff to modern games easier than building say Green Hill from the ground up.

I'm gonna get the WiiU version of Transformed at launch. Having a good Kart racer for a system launch is always a happy thing for me. :)

I wonder what exclusive characters the WiiU version has... if any. Seeing Mario would be grand :D
Well if they wouldn't allow Kirby you have to wonder if they'll get anything but miis.
Diddy Kong would make so much sense considering the air and water focus here but it probably wont happen.

CTR > DKR > MK

DKR is pretty fun it's just a shame that the CPU aren't too threatening and the item system doesn't lend itself too well to the multiplayer. Then again I haven't played this game in multiplayer for years.

Drago

Well if they wouldn't allow Kirby you have to wonder if they'll get anything but miis.
Diddy Kong would make so much sense considering the air and water focus here but it probably wont happen.
They tried to get Kirby in the first one? An odd choice, but still a missed opportunity. Maybe he can get in now, it being his 20th Anniversary and all.

Diddy Kong would be a great choice as well... he'd fit in nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom