• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
DKR was awesome, but godddamn was the AI cheap. Fuckin' Wizpig.

Anyone who seriously rates Banjo-Kazooie nowadays is in desperate need of a replay of Banjo-Kazooie. Those games aged.

Badly.

Really? I replayed them a few months back, and I think the first game has aged decently, at least.

Anyone who seriously rates Banjo-Kazooie nowadays is in desperate need of a replay of Banjo-Kazooie. They aged.

Badly.

I replayed it last year, it aged better than expected but yeah it's not quite as grand as it once was, the soundtrack is still among the 64's very best.

Man, does anything on average age worse then video games? The march of technology moves ever forward, and they're so technology dependent(instead of timeless good stories like movies or novels, or just great songs).

Man, does anything on average age worse then video games? The march of technology moves ever forward, and they're so technology dependent(instead of timeless good stories like movies or novels, or just great songs).
Movies, TV shows, novels and songs don't base themselves on an intrinsic win/lose premise. Games are probably the only medium I can think of that do. And when the game uses archaic interfaces that make the "win" half less likely and the "lose" half much more likely... yeah, it ages pretty badly.

I think the manner in which exciting new mechanics are over-exploited by developers doesn't help, either. Remember when RE4 felt revolutionary?

The flip side of this, because they're so technology/mechanic-oriented, they have a much higher sequel success ratio then movies. It's harder to come up with a new, great story that doesn't just come off as an inferior rehash of the original. Where in say, Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, you can expand on the game mechanics with more levels/enemies/moves/characters/modes, fix some of the technical stuff wrong with the first one, to the point it's hard going back to the last game(I'm always wanting to Spin Dash in Sonic 1 ;_;)

qq more

The flip side of this, because they're so technology/mechanic-oriented, they have a much higher sequel success ratio then movies. It's harder to come up with a new, great story that doesn't just come off as an inferior rehash of the original. Where in say, Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, you can expand on the game mechanics with more levels/enemies/moves/characters/modes, fix some of the technical stuff wrong with the first one, to the point it's hard going back to the last game(I'm always wanting to Spin Dash in Sonic 1 ;_;)

Sonic Jam for Saturn has Sonic 1 w/ Spindash.

Sonic Jam for Saturn has Sonic 1 w/ Spindash.
On a less awesome note, so does Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA.

At least the Jam one works as expected. If a robot rolls into you while you're charging your dash in Genesis, you get hit, contrary to pretty much every other Sonic game ever.

Crash Team Racing > Any other racer during that generation.

And Mario Kart died once they got rid of snaking in my eyes.

My friends and I played the shit out of MK64, but going to Crash Team Racing was like a damn religious experience. The amount of content in the game made MK64 look like a tech demo in comparison.

And yeah, I actually liked snaking. Sucks that everyone complained about it.

BHZ Mayor

what in the fuck

mario 64>banjo kazooie>the rest

Anyone who seriously rates Banjo-Kazooie nowadays is in desperate need of a replay of Banjo-Kazooie. Those games aged.

Badly.

Lex+Luthor+Wrong.jpg

Banjo-Kazooie >>>>>>>>>>> Mario 64, and the only thing that aged is the fact that Banjo does a brief stop after a roll, which they fixed in the sequel but it doesn't matter because Banjo-Kazooie beats that too.

Drago

Preordered Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for WiiU. $30 is a fantastic price, and the more games for WiiU the better. :p

Very excited for it. Loved the demo of the first one so I hope this is more of that greatness.

OMG Aero

I'm glad that snaking was taken out of Mario Kart. When I play a racing game I want to race, not do fucking zigzags everywhere.

qq more

Preordered Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for WiiU. $30 is a fantastic price, and the more games for WiiU the better. :p

Very excited for it. Loved the demo of the first one so I hope this is more of that greatness.

Wait, where can I preorder it at this price?

Anth0ny

Crash Team Racing > Any other racer during that generation.

And Mario Kart died once they got rid of snaking in my eyes.

Diddy Kong Racing>MK64>CTR

I will not have this Sony fanboyism running rampant. Rare N64 master race reporting in.

Banjo-Kazooie >>>>>>>>>>> Mario 64, and the only thing that aged is the fact that Banjo does a brief stop after a roll, which they fixed in the sequel but it doesn't matter because Banjo-Kazooie beats that too.

This is why SM64 is better.

Fuck you, Beef, that's how all magical blue Indian elephants are like

ABRA KADABRA

and it's because of YOU we got shitty British version on DS. I hope you're proud of yourself

DS version added Dixie Kong so it balanced out for me, Tiny Kong however can sod off.
Plus it was all about Bumper the Badger anyway, Tiptup when I was younger but definitely Bumper now.

TheOGB

Banned
oh god, it is the one I was thinking of

kill it

SHAMELESS SELF-ADVERTISEMENT TIME GO

Us folks at Sonic Retro are having a stream and we're gonna play some All-Stars Racing powered by Nvidia Tegra, go watch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/vidyaretro

SHAMELESS SELF-ADVERTISEMENT TIME DONE
Sonic R goin on in this stream lol I did not know Sonic could spindash (?)

holy shit at that shortcut through the trees in Resort Island

Pretty much EVERY character design in DKR that isn't Diddy or Banjo is hot fuckin' garbage. Yes, even Conker. All of those guys could die in a fire. Who would ever want to play as those characters?

T.T. was my nigga, though

3604.png

LOOK DEM STATS, SON

TheOGB

Banned
Ha, my cousin always used to be such a prick about playing as him.

I always picked either Diddy or Banjo because yeah, everybody else looked like shit

Anth0ny

Pretty much EVERY character design in DKR that isn't Diddy or Banjo is hot fuckin' garbage. Yes, even Conker. All of those guys could die in a fire. Who would ever want to play as those characters?

T.T. was my nigga, though

3604.png

LOOK DEM STATS, SON

You had to go through HELL to unlock him.

Still, I mained Tiptup.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't see Sonic Heroes as a bad game, it's pretty fun. I didn't give it time until I played someone else's copy of it, and it changed my mind.

Of course it also has my favorite character from Sonic as well, but that's not something gameplay wise to mention. It's an interesting aspect being able to play as three characters at once and over coming obstacles with a team.

Wouldn't even compare it to the Werehog.

I played the PS2 copy of Heroes a few years ago.

Never again

I played the Gamecube one, whatever that means.

Even if my replay of heroes had me cursing its name I still like what they actually tried to do with it, it did attempt to go back to a more classic style of sonic, it's just that they botched it.

PS2 version plays like ass by comparison to the other two if memory serves.

edit: come on Anth0ny, you've earned good will toady, don't throw it all away! what's the reason for the colours hate anyway, I forget.

qq more

Even if my replay of heroes had me cursing its name I still like what they actually tried to do with it, it did attempt to go back to a more classic style of sonic, it's just that they botched it.

PS2 version plays like ass by comparison to the other two if memory serves.

edit: come on Anth0ny, you've earned good will toady, don't throw it all away! what's the reason for the colours hate anyway, I forget.

He claims he played the game but I don't believe him just because he said it was a hold forward to win game. Colors is anything but a hold forward to win game, especially compared to every other 3D Sonic games. And I still believe he's a liar until proven otherwise.

The sonic game filled with such plentiful platforming to the point it gets critiqued for being too Mario like? the Sonic game that promotes replaying to explore levels by finding new routes with wisps? this is the one that gets labelled hold right to win? Noooooo.

And Anth0ny can't be the anti Beef, he is his own creature of chaos, meanwhile The Professor is unmatched, he feeds not off beef but off having the opposite opinion to people.....people like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom