• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadiWulf

Oh I saw it and deep down I smiled...and cried, it was an emotional rollercoaster much like the game itself.

hahahaha, okay xD

Then Iizuka-san has succeeded. Theres actually an interview somewhere with him, where he talks about why he joined the game industry. he said when he was younger he would make his own manga, and he joined the game industry because he wanted to create stories in games, and for some reason he chose to express his stories through Sonic I guess ;P

ShadiWulf

Maybe Iizuka uses Shadow to live out his own fantasies "THIS IS WHO I AM!" and so on.

that reminds me of the fake iizuka twitter, scary how spot on it was / is at times.

zW8KB.png

4Ydrg.png

q0Af3.png

M8AvW.png

1sHmQ.png

dGsPH.png

CBE4X.png

Emitan

"The best thing about Sonic games is how they are frustrating. Once you finally beat my games you feel you accomplished something great."

Sounds like Sonic 06 fan apologies.

qq more

I've saved the best part of Sonic 2006 for you guys:

Edit: CHECKPOINTS?! WHAT ARE THOSE.

If there is an unlikely successor to that game, I certainly hope they take better BGM from the Internet.

And hey, isn't as nuts now so you can try jumping back in with Colours/Generations.

6 6 6 balls... then post #6696... WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!

EDIT: Just beat Before The Sequel. Awesome game!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fifth and final SAGE review article is now up for the 3 of you who read them.
I'm sure lots of people read them! I checked out Freedom Planet because of one of your reviews and ended up enjoying it.

Still unsure of whether or not I should try Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel.

I'm gonna check out Sonic Fusion in a sec because that game looks very good.

I'm sure lots of people read them! I checked out Freedom Planet because of one of your reviews and ended up enjoying it.

Still unsure of whether or not I should try Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel.

I'm gonna check out Sonic Fusion in a sec because that game looks very good.

Sonic BTS and ATS are probably worth the downloads even if it sounded like I wasn't super crazy about them. I did like them! They just have problems.

Like if you want my list of "hey, download these even if you aren't part of the fangame scene":

The Emeralds' Awakening, Before the Sequel, Freedom Planet, Sonic Fusion, Emerald Ties, Sonic Zero and After the Sequel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. I'll play a few of those a bit later.

I'm very very impressed with Freedom Planet. Like, the sprites and their animations are really good. And the music is very impressive (that's what I liked the most about it). At least it's somewhat original while taking elements of Sonic and incorporating it into the gameplay. It feels extremely polished.

Lilac seems to be faster out of the two, and she's very very fun to use. Carol's alright. She's slower than Lilac but has faster attack animations and she can wall-jump. If you're going to play it, I'd advise picking Lilac first. She kind of feels a bit more like Sonic (ie: run and press down to curl into a ball and smash into things). Holding up with Lilac allows you to swim, and when you accumulate enough in your energy meter you can press A in the air to perform a Comet Boost (smash into things). Oh, and shields are handled interestingly in here: you can press C to hide your shield. So if you hide your shield and pick up another one, you can press C to swap them.

They should release this game as an indie project or something when they finish it. It's very good. I don't think the voicework was needed much.

Also, I didn't expect to be greeted by a loop of the post-intro to Rise Against's Saviour when I opened up Sonic Fusion.

Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Edit: ffff, I keep forgetting to start up stupid fraps for this...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have to do a few things, but man oh man I enjoyed Sonic Fusion so much and I'll show why cuz I actually took a lot of screens with fraps. They made playing as Shadow the Hedgehog rather decent.

The flash intro was so so soooooo bad, though. Ugh. I understand the intent behind it, but oh man, that was Ys Celceta sort of bad.

Freedom Planet looks great but has a sort of "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" feel to the character art. If they ditched the sort of Deviant Art-ish quality to the game I think they'd be able to sell it.
Yeah. It kinda sorta did seem that way. Like, the background art seems ok because I kind of get that they wanted it to look like a 16-bit platformer, and maybe the characters were supposed to feel like another one of those mascot platformers from that era, but maybe they should try to polish the look a little more to make it a little better.

No flash stuff, though. I'm sick of that.

Speaking of which... Can I plug my own game here?
No?
Well fuck you I'm gonna do it anyway.
Looks like a potential GOTF.

qq more

Dark Schala and Sega1991, wanna play Sonic Fusion for a bit?

I think the game is good, at least in the multiplayer side, but there's things they should improve on... Like dat fucking pit in Splash Hill. *BREAKS WALLS, GET ITEM BOX, BREAKS MORE WALLS, FALLS INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT*

Kokonoe

Banned
Why do each of the last three videos have Jason Griffith's voice coming from Sonic?

You mean people actually liked that enough to actively change it back to him? Because... I don't agree. Much prefer Roger Craig Smith.

I'm very very impressed with Freedom Planet. Like, the sprites and their animations are really good. And the music is very impressive (that's what I liked the most about it). At least it's somewhat original while taking elements of Sonic and incorporating it into the gameplay. It feels extremely polished.

Lilac seems to be faster out of the two, and she's very very fun to use. Carol's alright. She's slower than Lilac but has faster attack animations and she can wall-jump. If you're going to play it, I'd advise picking Lilac first. She kind of feels a bit more like Sonic (ie: run and press down to curl into a ball and smash into things). Holding up with Lilac allows you to swim, and when you accumulate enough in your energy meter you can press A in the air to perform a Comet Boost (smash into things). Oh, and shields are handled interestingly in here: you can press C to hide your shield. So if you hide your shield and pick up another one, you can press C to swap them.

They should release this game as an indie project or something when they finish it. It's very good. I don't think the voicework was needed much.
I rather liked what I played, too. Could only play as Lilac, though; couldn't figure out how to switch to Carol. Boss was surprisingly difficult, too.

Curious as to what he's planning on doing with the other characters, though. He showed off some dog girl, too (Milla, I think?); was she supposed to be a third playable character, or just a plot element? I suppose I should ask him himself instead of people on SonicGAF, heh.

Speaking of which... Can I plug my own game here?
No?
Well fuck you I'm gonna do it anyway.
GOTY all years

(Are they doing RAGE this year...?)

The new VA is coupled with the way more bearable dialogue of Colours and Unleashed, so he kinda gets an easy ride. That said, I much prefer Roger to Jason, the low pitched voice suits Sonic better I think. Jason's voice just grates, like the worst Saturday morning cartoon character.

I love the new voices for Sonic and TAILS ESPECIALLY. Sonic has had good ones in the past, but I think this is the first time I'm not actively annoyed when words come out of Tails' mouth.

Too bad he's linked forever with "WOAHAAAHAOOAHAHH" or whoever you'd spell that fucking death scream from 06.

(He was pretty shit)

What game was it where he would go "oh no" in this really unsuiting tone when Sonic fell to his death? i'm thinking it was secret rings but i'm not sure, point is that it amuses me greatly and is the highlight of that particular Sonic voice.

Not to be confused with SA Knuckles "oh no".

Sciz

Anyone who would intentionally port WHOOYEAHFEELINGOOD back to Generations has no business doing sound editing.

So I just tried running Emerald Ties.

Webroot immediately told me it found a suspicious EXE file in my temp folder, stdrt.exe. The game didn't boot up, either. Attempting to run the game again got me the same issue.

Um?

Webroot immediately told me it found a suspicious EXE file in my temp folder, stdrt.exe. The game didn't boot up, either. Attempting to run the game again got me the same issue.

Um?

Reboot harddrive, re-download, see what happens then.

Still have problem, buy new PC

The Colors level mods are impressive, but part of the fun of Colors for me was that the somewhat nuanced pace let me take in the atmosphere of every level. Blasting through them at breakneck speed (Especially considering how short Colors individual acts are) seems like it wouldn't be all that fun, at least to me.

Um?

stdrt is more commonly known as a piece of Multimedia Fusion that handles the scripting language for MMF. When you launch a MMF exe, my understanding is it extracts and runs stdrt from a separate location and uses it to parse and operate the scripts it is being fed.

The problem is apparently there was a virus a few years ago that planted a fake stdrt.exe and used that to phone home and open the door for trojans and etc. Because of this, a number of antivirus programs report any existence of stdrt as a virus when 99% of the time this is a false-positive.

If it's popping up as a result of you running Emerald Ties, chances are it's safe. If it's popping up any other time, I'd be concerned.

Okay, so actually played Emerald Ties this time around. Gotta agree with the complaints about Sonic feeling really heavy in terms of gravity, but on top of that he's kind of sluggish to accelerate and hard to slow down (consistent with a heavy object, actually, but that's neither here nor there). Made a lot of the chase segments in Relic Retreat Zone annoying, because it's less me running through the corridors quickly and more me fighting with Sonic's momentum to land where I need to, in one go, without being crushed to death from above. Not easy to do when he takes a while to get going from a standstill.

Graphically it was excellent, but I'm not so fond of how fullscreen mode came out rather horizontally squished on my monitor. The game's widescreen, but MMF2 is trying to shoehorn that into a 4:3 fullscreen resolution. The end result is kind of ugly, so I played it in windowed instead.

Wasn't there supposed to be a snow level in this game, or was that something else? Gonna have to review the posts in this thread, my mind's playing tricks on me...

...yeah, there is. Guess I'll have to revisit, because the game dumped me to the title screen after those two stages. <_<

qq more

Okay, so actually played Emerald Ties this time around. Gotta agree with the complaints about Sonic feeling really heavy in terms of gravity, but on top of that he's kind of sluggish to accelerate and hard to slow down (consistent with a heavy object, actually, but that's neither here nor there). Made a lot of the chase segments in Relic Retreat Zone annoying, because it's less me running through the corridors quickly and more me fighting with Sonic's momentum to land where I need to, in one go, without being crushed to death from above. Not easy to do when he takes a while to get going from a standstill.

Graphically it was excellent, but I'm not so fond of how fullscreen mode came out rather horizontally squished on my monitor. The game's widescreen, but MMF2 is trying to shoehorn that into a 4:3 fullscreen resolution. The end result is kind of ugly, so I played it in windowed instead.

Wasn't there supposed to be a snow level in this game, or was that something else? Gonna have to review the posts in this thread, my mind's playing tricks on me...

...yeah, there is. Guess I'll have to revisit, because the game dumped me to the title screen after those two stages. <_<
We're working on a post-SAGE demo. The gravity will be improved among other things (such as performance and bug fixes).

What's going on with full-screen? Did you press F5? Or did you hit Alt+Enter?

Also, as for the snow level. Yes, it's in the demo. Just beat the game and let the credits roll, it'll tell you that the level is unlocked after that. The reason Polar Peaks is an unlockable level is because it's not the 3rd zone of the final game. It's actually the 6th zone. If we were to put it as part of the main game then some things will feel a bit disjointed. To play Polar Peaks, you just need to reload your save. It is also unlocked on Free Play and Time Attack.

There's also another unlockable after beating Polar Peaks

EDIT: Also, what do you mean with having a hard time slowing him down? Care to elaborate? The skidding is there for a reason... unless there's something I'm missing?

Who wants some non-violence stickers?

What's going on with full-screen? Did you press F5? Or did you hit Alt+Enter?
Alt-Enter. F5 works much better, probably should've tried it after seeing it in the readme instead of assuming it'd behave the same way.

Also, as for the snow level. Yes, it's in the demo. Just beat the game and let the credits roll, it'll tell you that the level is unlocked after that. The reason Polar Peaks is an unlockable level is because it's not the 3rd zone of the final game. It's actually the 6th zone. If we were to put it as part of the main game then some things will feel a bit disjointed. To play Polar Peaks, you just need to reload your save. It is also unlocked on Free Play and Time Attack.

There's also another unlockable after beating Polar Peaks
Yeah, after noticing the snow level in Dark Schala's posts, I immediately went back and it was there.

Also, Nack kicked my ass. Twice. Embarrassing.

I swear I recognize the music for that second secret zone. I went to check Jazz Jackrabbit's music, but nope. Definitely sounds like music modules, though.

EDIT: Also, what do you mean with having a hard time slowing him down? Care to elaborate? The skidding is there for a reason... unless there's something I'm missing?
Just what it sounds like. It takes a while for him to get moving from a standstill, and going against the momentum is equally sluggish. This isn't even at high speeds, which you'd expect to be difficult to counteract, but just slow, methodical platforming.

Finally sat down and played Emerald Ties and Freedom Planet.

- I really, really, love how Emerald Ties looks, down to the graphic effects. I do have to echo the sentiments about Sonic feeling kinda heavy, but aside from that, I think it's pretty great.

- Freedom Planet is a lot better than it has any right to be.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic 06 is so gray
Sky Rail... still sucks
And Colors levels ahhhhhhhh :D

Anyone who would intentionally port WHOOYEAHFEELINGOOD back to Generations has no business doing sound editing.
Seriously, Griffith got good for the storybook series and that was pretty much it. I did like Griffith as Shadow, but that's probably for the same reason I actually enjoy Shadow's game

Every damn time :lol

Seriously, in Shadow, he runs like a drunk on ice skates or something. The ground isn't supposed to be slippery.
Going off my memory of the running mechanics in Heroes, Shadow and 2K6, the ground is very much slippery! :p (Really shouldn't have been, though. If you jab left when you've got a lot of forward momentum, your momentum forward should decelerate while your momentum leftward accelerates, while in those games you just turn left on a dime, making stopping a pain in the ass.)

BlackJace

Going off my memory of the running mechanics in Heroes, Shadow and 2K6, the ground is very much slippery! :p (Really shouldn't have been, though. If you jab left when you've got a lot of forward momentum, your momentum forward should decelerate while your momentum leftward accelerates, while in those games you just turn left on a dime, making stopping a pain in the ass.)

Oh well. Bad games gonna bad I guess. Colors and Generations fixed it quite well.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was just randomly playing SA2 when I saw on my main save file over 86 hours played and 173/180 emblems. It somehow made me feel like I belong here -_-? I wondered why I had bothered to A rank all Eggman missions but not Tails... then saw Route 101. Yup. I can't begin to imagine what Crazy Gadget Hard Mode is like when the "Beat it in under 5 minutes with no checkpoints" one is impossible to begin with!

I just played through this stage in SA2 and those jumpy spring things look broken in that mod. Most of 'em take 2-3 bounces ta get where ya need to be not 5-6 or more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom