• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would an open world Sonic work? It seems like it would be too complex.

The way I always figured would be a cross between Metroid Prime and Jak & Daxter. Basically, you have two "room" types: Open rooms, and corridors.

sZK6B.gif

Open rooms are non-linear environments sort of like Adventure Fields, connected by linear, Action-Stage-esque "corridors". And since corridors have to go both ways, none of that "lol you can't backtrack" bullshit Sonic games seem to love so fucking much.

The way I always figured would be a cross between Metroid Prime and Jak & Daxter. Basically, you have two "room" types: Open rooms, and corridors.

sZK6B.gif

Open rooms are non-linear environments sort of like Adventure Fields, connected by linear, Action-Stage-esque "corridors". And since corridors have to go both ways, none of that "lol you can't backtrack" bullshit Sonic games seem to love so fucking much.

See, this is a great visual for what I've been thinking for a while. And by corridors, you don't mean like boost ridden 3 foot wide paths, you just mean areas that encourage you to move forward, right?

The larger areas can be filled with lots of momentum puzzles, platforming, and whatnot.

BlackJace

See, this is a great visual for what I've been thinking for a while. And by corridors, you don't mean like boost ridden 3 foot wide paths, you just mean areas that encourage you to move forward, right?

The larger areas can be filled with lots of momentum puzzles, platforming, and whatnot.

I think he means the corridors are the actual "Action Stages" or "Acts" we're used to in Sonic games. And the open rooms are the "Adventure Fields" just like in SA1.

I think he means the corridors are the actual "Action Stages" or "Acts" we're used to in Sonic games. And the open rooms are the "Adventure Fields" just like in SA1.

I don't think that's what he means by the first sentence of his post. If you've ever played Metroid Prime, it's all very fluid and interconnected.

Either way, as long as the 'paths' are more elaborate than the past few games and allow for more freedom, then that is fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I dunno if I'd want an open-world Sonic game. For some reason the idea doesn't sit well with me. Probably because I'm more accustomed to Sonic being a level-by-level platformer as opposed to a character that can hang around in an open world. Can't really think of the character being in a Metroid Prime sort of thing because I can only think of him sequence-breaking and getting powerups. :x

The only way I can think of this happening in a right "it makes sense" sorta way is if it were an RPG.

Another Sonic Generations mod: Classic Sonic in Wave Ocean.

Pretty short but I think it's cool. Shows how linear Sonic 06 was haha.
This would show how linear Sonic 2006 was as well.

Also:

Who approved that Sonic Super Special Magazine's content and that #239 cover? I flipped through the SSSM and nothing about it seemed super-appealing, but I'd never read the issues in full anyway so I figured I'd pick it up.

And that #239 cover, as we've all expressed before, is all sorts of wrong.

Sciz

Who approved that Sonic Super Special Magazine's content and that #239 cover? I flipped through the SSSM and nothing about it seemed super-appealing, but I'd never read the issues in full anyway so I figured I'd pick it up.

why are they still printing M25YL stuff whyyyyyyyy :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why are they still printing M25YL stuff whyyyyyyyy :(
I'm reading it a little bit and...

• The art is really really bad oh my god
  • "KEN PENDERS / Writer"
  • This sounds like Rich People: The Comic half the time
  • Sonic's kid's name is fucking "Manik"? Oh lord why
  • Knuckles's maid is a koala bear
  • Vector's kid's name is "Argyle" :lol :lol :lol :lol "Argyle here wants to show the rest of these homies how to boogie with your girl!"
It can't get any worse, can it?

Sciz

I'm reading it a little bit and...

• The art is really really bad oh my god

• It's mostly all Steven Butler.

...he got better. Sort of.

The one exception was drawn by Ken himself, which is definitely not an improvement.

It can't get any worse, can it?

ah ha

ahahahahahahahahaha :(

This shit ate up 1/3 to 1/2 of the pages in every issue for over a year, and the only reason that isn't more of a travesty is because the main stories in the 130s and 140s (and 150s) were also a disaster.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
- Why does Knuckles have a bionic eye? Fake edit: nevermind; it was answered.
- "The planet is tearing apart!" WEATHER.
- Girls gossiping about boys. "Tee hee, are you seeing a booooyyyy?" Penders doesn't know he's writing for a certain audience, yes? It's like a terrible anime.
- The middle of the book says something like the world has two futures keep reading StH and SU to find out blah blah blah
- Enerjak. :|
- Does Sonic wear that crown everywhere he goes?
- "It's your fault things ended up this way!" "Nuh-uh, it's your fault!" "Nooooo, it's youuurrrr fault."
- oh god, it keeps going why is it continuing

This shit reads like bad teen fanfiction. Penders is proud of this?

I don't think that's what he means by the first sentence of his post. If you've ever played Metroid Prime, it's all very fluid and interconnected.

Either way, as long as the 'paths' are more elaborate than the past few games and allow for more freedom, then that is fine.

You're both right, to an extent. It's one of those things you think of where it can go either way, really, because it needs to be implemented and tested first to see which way would work best.

I was thinking more in terms of it being fluid, however, like Metroid Prime. Just a bit larger in scale - not as claustrophobic.

Edit:

That game made me realize something else: Sonic 2006 has literally no momentum to it, at all, in any capacity. I know I made a video demonstrating Sonic sticking to a ceiling and everything, but it really is amazing how Sonic doesn't react to his environment even in the slightest. It's like "my first videogame" or something, where you're just happy to have something moving around in a 3D world but there's no attention being paid to making it feel like a thing that exists.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KING SHADOW'S ENFORCER.
Tails is now officially a TOUGH-LOOKIN' PILOT.
Sonic's a bum.
The army's floaty ships have Shadow's emblem on them.
Dimitri's in this.
"I am the Ultimate Lifeform! I never age!"

Flynn wrote this one. At least the dialogue isn't as stupid, jargon-filled, or nonsensical. I suppose this was when he tried to clean everything up?

There's a pic of the cover of Sonic 240 in here. Wow, they're really going for renders for the next few covers, huh? The timeline in the back also brings up Rob O' The Hedge. That's a name I haven't heard in forever.

So... uh, this wasn't very good. The Flynn stuff wasn't all-around awful, but the narrative elements were ick, but that Penders stuff at the beginning... terrible.

Sega1991 said:
That game made me realize something else: Sonic 2006 has literally no momentum to it, at all, in any capacity.
Yeah, it's especially apparent when you're on the boosters and on the rails. It doesn't seem like you gain a lot of speed in general. Though I suppose that's what the mach speed sections were for.

RobbieNick

KING SHADOW'S ENFORCER.
Tails is now officially a TOUGH-LOOKIN' PILOT.
Sonic's a bum.
The army's floaty ships have Shadow's emblem on them.
Dimitri's in this.
"I am the Ultimate Lifeform! I never age!"

Flynn wrote this one. At least the dialogue isn't as stupid, jargon-filled, or nonsensical. I suppose this was when he tried to clean everything up?

There's a pic of the cover of Sonic 240 in here. Wow, they're really going for renders for the next few covers, huh? The timeline in the back also brings up Rob O' The Hedge. That's a name I haven't heard in forever.

So... uh, this wasn't very good. The Flynn stuff wasn't all-around awful, but the narrative elements were ick, but that Penders stuff at the beginning... terrible.

Yeah, it's especially apparent when you're on the boosters and on the rails. It doesn't seem like you gain a lot of speed in general. Though I suppose that's what the mach speed sections were for.

Luckily I got this issue on the cheap, cuz I HATE the 30YL stories and Penders were the worse. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, TALK! UGH!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's another thing I noticed and started to remember (I think part of that was one of the reasons why I stopped reading the comic for a while).

Some of this stuff is quite verbose. A lot of dialogue and not much stuff happening. At least when you read Flynn's bit, you see some stuff happening. Like, I'm all for talk and dialogue and exposition, but this is mostly stuff that just doesn't matter and seems utterly inconsequential to me. :/

The idea of a 25-30YL story would be kind of cool on paper, but the way it was executed here was not very good at all.

And IIRC, Penders got his panties in a twist when the editors suggested this was only a possible future and not the future.

I had stopped reading Archie by this point, though, so I've only been able to take people's word for how awful the story was. I believe it, though.

ShadiWulf

new interview with Sumo about NiGHTS, just posting it here cause i don't think most people in gaming general would care, plus most sonic fans are NiGHTS fans anyways!

So yeah, if you don't appreciate NiGHTS being in vehicle form in ASR, guess who you get to blame! I'll spoiler it, don't want to ruin the surprise

"We also had to run initial designs past Iizuka-san again to make sure he was happy we were capturing the spirit of the original game, and it was Iizuka-san who suggested the character actually transforms into a vehicle. Once this clicked into place, we knew it would work!"

"Reala came about as when we asked Iizuka-san about how NiGHTS would work, he drew concepts for us showing both NiGHTS and Reala as vehicles. Since they work in a similar way, we decided to include Reala too."

and lots of other cool info in the interview
http://www.nightsintodreams.com/?p=1837

all NiGHTS related of course

Of course he would suggest that.

Of course.

To be fair, it's not that bad an idea. NiGHTS is a pretty weird character, transforming kinda suits it.

So long as it transforms from/back into normal form at the beginning/end of a race, I'm happy. They've nailed everything else from that game, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom