• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadiWulf

a friend of mine actually pointed out something about shadow the hedgehog to me, don't take it too seriously though, i think it's just amusing if anything

you know in Shadow the Hedgehog when the white house gets blown up with the green laser, the commander talks about how people have been evacuated to the safe zone. Well my friend doesn't ever think that was Iizuka's intention, and he was forced to add in a quick change in the dialogue by SEGA... cause millions upon millions of people dying in a game kids would be playing wouldn't be a good thing. xD

he thinks this because
1) there is no cutscene of people being evacuated to a safe zone
2) when the green laser fires down, it fires right into what looks like transportation pods before it hits the whitehouse, and there was probably people on those transportation pods, probably being brought to the safe zone, but never made it. He thinks originally the game probably made no mention of evacuation or safe zone, and just let you see the pods get blown up.
3) iizuka-san likes to kill innocent people in his games. Just look at the GUN truck.

So DarkSchala, question for you if you've ever played the JP version, does it ever mention anything about the city residents being evacuated to a safe zone? ;p

Sciz

a friend of mine actually pointed out something about shadow the hedgehog to me, don't take it too seriously though, i think it's just amusing if anything

you know in Shadow the Hedgehog when the white house gets blown up with the green laser, the commander talks about how people have been evacuated to the safe zone. Well my friend doesn't ever think that was Iizuka's intention, and he was forced to add in a quick change in the dialogue by SEGA... cause millions upon millions of people dying in a game kids would be playing wouldn't be a good thing. xD

SA1 already wiped out the population of an entire city, what's one more.

Yeah, but we're talking blowing up the White House in a post-9/11 world. I'm sure that'd have gone over well.

I actually don't remember the White House getting blown up in Shadow, must not have reached that plotline during my "rental" (actually playing a new copy borrowed from GameStop while I worked there - you know, the practice that had NeoGAF in an uproar within the past year or so).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, never played Shadow with Japanese voices. I got the 4Kids version.

Actually, Shadow's voice in Japanese (Koji Yusa) is relatively decent. They don't seem to run into a problem like they do in FF where they try to get the English voice actors to emulate exactly how the JP voice actors voice characters...

ShadiWulf

Yeah, but we're talking blowing up the White House in a post-9/11 world. I'm sure that'd have gone over well.

I actually don't remember the White House getting blown up in Shadow, must not have reached that plotline during my "rental" (actually playing a new copy borrowed from GameStop while I worked there - you know, the practice that had NeoGAF in an uproar within the past year or so).

here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WQpDCLKaQUU#t=531s

skip to the 8 minute 50 second mark if the URL doesn't work right

although really, you should watch that whole video it's amazing entertaining.

TheOGB

Banned
Shadow the Hedgehog is such a terrible fucking game, oh my god I'm dying from that.

HUMANS DON'T VALUE LIFE. I'LL MAKE THEM PAY. WITH THEIR LIVES.

I wanna play it now

Oh man, the paralysis, the fucking slime "attack", shadow is some alien blood test tube creation, BLACK DOOOOOM, Shadow's shitty speeches, PUT THE PAST BEHIND ME, that sappy ending.

These Shadow cutscenes are too much, I can't go on. How have I not seen this until now?

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh man, the paralysis, the fucking slime "attack", shadow is some alien blood test tube creation, BLACK DOOOOOM, Shadow's shitty speeches, PUT THE PAST BEHIND ME, that sappy ending.

These Shadow cutscenes are too much, I can't go on. How have I not seen this until now?

"THIS IS WHO I AM!"

Kokonoe

Banned
"No one can tell me what to do now!"

He really is like some kind of angry teenager, it's quite hilarious.
The dialogue is the worst, but humorous indeed.
Did anyone post the ending where he kills Robotnik yet?

I was about to do this before I saw your post, it's my favorite part because of how ridiculous it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgkSUUvdFI

*edit*

youtube comment
This is the main reason why the game wasn't as good as it could be. The writing. Seriously...how do you kill someone with a karate chop?
maplejet 2 months ago

Yes.

qq more

*edit*

youtube comment

Yes.

Yeah, the writing is totally THE reason why this game isn't as good as it could be! Not the sloppy level design, not the shitty mission system, not the slippery controls, and definitely not the very dumb concept of guns and vehicles in a Sonic game!

I'm surprised people actually like Shadow The Hedgehog... like how can anyone like this game?

Sciz

His prints are all over the early section of the credits, that soft piano music transitioning into the standard Sonic vocal track, yeah i'm not sure it had the effect on me that they were looking for with that.

Hey now, Never Turn Back is great, in part because of the piano intro.

Y'know, I recall when I played Shadow that I thought "All Hail Shadow" was the dumbest song the series had put out yet. Then the 2K6 version comes out and for some reason it grew on me.

How the hell'd that work

Had a whirl with some of those games and damn it's amazing what fans with enough spare time and dedication can do. Project AXSX in particular was really neat, though admittedly also made me realize an actual Sonic X-Treme probably wouldn't have been that fun
but still a better alternative to Sonic 3D Blast.

Also anybody know what the second song that plays in AXSX is? Sounds sort of Adventure-y, possibly from one of the NiGHTS games (been awhile since I listened to the first game's OST and never even touched the second game).

I don't even remember how I managed to unlock and playthrough Shadow's Expert Mode...some of the dialogue in that mode was a bit painful as well.

Sciz

Y'know, I recall when I played Shadow that I thought "All Hail Shadow" was the dumbest song the series had put out yet. Then the 2K6 version comes out and for some reason it grew on me.

How the hell'd that work

When you stop listening to the lyrics, there's a decent song buried underneath.

Also anybody know what the second song that plays in AXSX is? Sounds sort of Adventure-y, possibly from one of the NiGHTS games (been awhile since I listened to the first game's OST and never even touched the second game).
There are three songs from the five minutes or so I played until I managed to break the game (yeah, that half-pipe in the lower-right corner of the map, relative to where you start? Go halfway into it, so that the world is sideways, and then try going toward the screen. Camera goes screwy, can't see where you're going...). One was "Space Queens", which I'm sure you're familiar with (doesn't really fit the stage). The other two were both from Xmas NiGHTS; one was the song that plays on Spring Valley if you play on Christmas Day, the other was the replacement for Gillwing's theme during the "winter season" (really more like the days around Christmas, but eh).

qq more

I really need to hurry up with my reviews. I've played a bunch more and there's some really good ones. Before the Sequel '12 is damn fun.

Sonic Zero just uploaded today, outside of the badnik beatdown mission, it's pretty fun too. Although extremely short.

I like how everyone would just rather talk about Shadow and Sonic 06 than talk about fan games. :p
I haven't been spending much time playing them, honestly. Been having at SRB2 2.1's code base. Haven't really done much of consequence, though I'm looking into it. Wanna add at least one effect from Hexen/ZDoom...

Blueblur1

Wow, Shadow the Hedgehog is worse than I could have ever imagined. I still don't regret returning it to the video rental store after playing 2 stages.

ShadiWulf

His prints are all over the early section of the credits, that soft piano music transitioning into the standard Sonic vocal track, yeah i'm not sure it had the effect on me that they were looking for with that.

you missed the most important part ;p look who the script writer is.

DeadNames

Banned
I've been thinking... Will there ever be another installment in the Sonic Chronicles series?

Oh and I'm DeadNames... ex-long time Sonic fan. Hopefully I can get back into it, considering it was my childhood game.

Sciz

I've been thinking... Will there ever be another installment in the Sonic Chronicles series?

The first one didn't set the charts on fire, EA purchased Bioware during development, Bioware's handheld team got moved over to mobile (and I think they've been folded back into one of the other studios at this point), and the game got Sega and EA sued because the writers couldn't think of any better ideas than to knock off Archie's Knuckles series.

Deader than dead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've saved the best part of Sonic 2006 for you guys:

6d2yU.jpg

Edit: CHECKPOINTS?! WHAT ARE THOSE.

Oh and I'm DeadNames... ex-long time Sonic fan. Hopefully I can get back into it, considering it was my childhood game.
If there is an unlikely successor to that game, I certainly hope they take better BGM from the Internet.

And hey, isn't as nuts now so you can try jumping back in with Colours/Generations.

qq more

I haven't been spending much time playing them, honestly. Been having at SRB2 2.1's code base. Haven't really done much of consequence, though I'm looking into it. Wanna add at least one effect from Hexen/ZDoom...
Haha, you caught my post before I completely edited it (because I realized someone ELSE talked about fangames.)

Then again... I guess my original post's point still stands?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, you caught my post before I completely edited it (because I realized someone ELSE talked about fangames.)

Then again... I guess my original post's point still stands?
I'll write about Freedom Planet when I'm finished. I at least had the time to try that.

qq more

You should try out Colors and Generations if you haven't yet. Generations I would probably recommend more because of Classic Sonic. Welcome to SonicGAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom