• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heroes and Chaotix are both shit, but there's no way they're worse than Sonic Blast.

I'd forgotten about that game. Still wouldn't have had it below either of those games. Blast is bad, but it has a semblance of level design, even though it sucks. Chaotix has no level design at all. Literally! Nobody designed the levels.

Heroes is basically the gaming equivalent of being told you're going to Disneyland when you're really going to the funeral of a beloved relative.

BlackJace

Zero Gravity was great, I don't really know why it gets the hate it does. The only minor sin is that it's a little easy, and after the original Riders, that wasn't the worst mistake to make.

The gravity mechanic didn't meet the potential it had, and like you said, it often made the game too simple. Turbulence and Air from the original game were much better mechanics, IMO. The story was an awful I Robot clone, and was waaaaaay too short. The whole "Gear Shift" crap was unnecessary too.

I've only played Zero Gravity, I enjoyed it quite a bit for the £10 I spent, it was flawed to be sure but I can't say it was bad. A bit odd though considering that everyone mentions the first game was much better, proverbial balls were dropped then?

I'm bored as hell so i'm going to play some Sonic 3D blast on the mega drive collection and see how long I can handle it, we'll see which sonic related blast is the bigger dud.

edit: hey what's the twinkle circuit music doing here? my life has been a lie!
Also random yelping SEGA!, forgot about that, how wrong it sounds.

TheOGB

Banned
Riders was good fun. Zero Gravity less so due to various annoyances. Free Riders started off decently enough for what I was expecting, but then turned out to be what I originally expected before I thought it was good enough to buy for cheap.

can't believe no one ever posted this here

i was looking through hunnidp's youtube channel (they guy who made knuckles rap songs) and discovered this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8usuYcCQE

pure magic

also... his facebook profile picture made me lol
186696_1524164124_598956728_n.jpg

can't wait to see the project hes working on with SEGA.
Oh god

Modern day Hunnid-P

Reposting (I think)

I've made it as far as Spring Stadium which invites more nightmares on top of this excrement of a game.
Isometric platforming is the absolute worst on top of Sonic's rather awful control, the core gameplay hook is sleep inducing, the environments devoid of anything interesting and Knuckles and Tails thieved me of my rings and I don't know why.
Well at least it looks and sounds alright but I can abide no more of this, Flicky probably makes for a better game.

qq more

I've made it as far as Spring Stadium which invites more nightmares on top of this excrement of a game.
Isometric platforming is the absolute worst on top of Sonic's rather awful control, the core gameplay hook is sleep inducing, the environments devoid of anything interesting and Knuckles and Tails thieved me of my rings and I don't know why.
Well at least it looks and sounds alright but I can abide no more of this, Flicky probably makes for a better game.

If you give Tails/Knuckles 50 rings, you go to a special stage.

The gravity mechanic didn't meet the potential it had, and like you said, it often made the game too simple. Turbulence and Air from the original game were much better mechanics, IMO. The story was an awful I Robot clone, and was waaaaaay too short. The whole "Gear Shift" crap was unnecessary too.

pretty much the same with me, it essentially was stripped down thanks to the gravity mechanic which wasn't as fun or helpful as the air mechanics. Haven't played Free Riders, but from the time that I've played it, it seems middle of the road, don't hate but could be better. If there was another sequel, I would welcome back an optional standard control that uses the mechanics from the first game. The tracks themselves could be less bland/generic for me atleast in the aesthetic sense, Layout is another story.

OMG Aero

Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute.
The story of a Sonic Riders game is a clone of I, Robot?
I need to hear more about this.

Rlan

New Previews for Archie Sonic in a few months:

sth243.600.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #243 wrote:
“Endangered Species” Part One: Sonic and Team Fighters have arrived at Albion, ancestral homeland of the echidnas. And it's under siege! It's up to our heroes to stop Lien-Da's forces from conquering the war-torn city. But that will be hard when Metal Knuckles arrives!
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Steven Butler, Terry Austin, John Workman, and Matt Herms
Cover: Tracy Yardley! and Matt Herms
On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 12/5
32-page, full color comic
$2.99 US.

su46.600.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #46 wrote:
“All For One” Part One: Months ago, Mighty and Ray went on a quest to find Mighty's sister. Now the Chaotix have grown worried for their missing friends, so they're off to investigate! Will they pick up the trail in Mercia? Or will the Dark Egg Legion close our heroes’ investigation early?
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Tracy Yardley!, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli, and Steve Downer
Cover: Tracy Yardley!, and Steve Downer
On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 11/21
32-page, full color comic
$2.99 US.

sl2.600.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: LEGACY Vol. 2 wrote:
The hit new Sonic Legacy Series is back for a titanic second volume! Over the years, the Sonic comics have inspired thousands of stories, three spin-off series, and a library of graphic novel collections. The legacy of the Sonic Series is a long and proud one! Continue your library of the True Blue’s earliest adventures with this GIGANTIC collection of thrilling adventures and hilarious antics as only Sonic and the Freedom Fighters could provide! SONIC: LEGACY VOLUME II collects Sonic the Hedgehog #17-36 and is loaded with extra material, special features and topped-off with a brand new cover from superstar artist Ben Bates!
Script & Art: Various
Cover: Ben Bates
978-1-936975-26-6
$14.99/$16.99CAN
6 5/8 x 10 3/16”
Trade Paperback
512 pp
Direct Market On-sale: 11/21

BlackJace

Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute.
The story of a Sonic Riders game is a clone of I, Robot?
I need to hear more about this.

I'm probably exaggerating. But I recall the story being about a meteor which gives gravity power yada yada. Then one of the security robots goes nuts when it sees a meteor rock, and then makes the rest of the robots turn against humans and shit.

Nice covers by the way. Even though I've been collecting the older issues, I haven't been keeping up with the most recent :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, now that you mention it, I don't think I see a single Sonic 2006 property on there...

Catching up, Zero Gravity and Free Riders have great OP songs, imo. The comic previews sound good. I kinda forgot Mighty was a thing for a minute there... >.> Next few Sonic Universe issues should be pretty good then.

Picked up The Last Story and Darksiders II and am ready to begin my two weeks off! Was gonna pick up NSMB2 but reading the OT made the game seem not to have super-positive reception.

This was never posted I don't think and this is amazing.

Is it just me, or is Sonic 06 absent from that board?

And hell yeah at SA2 being those properties.
Sonic 06 is likely represented as some sort of scam card that sends you straight to jail, don't pass the goal post, don't collect 200 rings.

Picked up The Last Story and Darksiders II and am ready to begin my two weeks off! Was gonna pick up NSMB2 but reading the OT made the game seem not to have super-positive reception.

I felt it was cheerful enough in the OT for a pretty blatant cash grab, i'm pleasantly surprised by the reception in there really, good game if not particularly remarkable , I wish I could say that much for Sonic 4.
Last Story is a game I should really get back to playing, i've had it since like the PAL release and I just plain forget about it, my wii sounds like it's going to perish when running the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That shouldn't be a guilty pleasure; I love it.

I'm gonna find a way to sneak it into my FFIV playthrough similar with Green Ranger song.

Nocturnowl said:
I felt it was cheerful enough in the OT for a pretty blatant cash grab, i'm pleasantly surprised by the reception in there really, good game if not particularly remarkable , I wish I could say that much for Sonic 4.
Last Story is a game I should really get back to playing, i've had it since like the PAL release and I just plain forget about it, my wii sounds like it's going to perish when running the game.
Some people saying they have a crapton of lives in that thread is pretty stunning. Mario having lives isn't a bad thing but how they're used should be changed, and you shouldn't be able to rack up so much of them in the case where the game is super-easy. It doesn't feel very rewarding in that case. Games like DKCR and Sonic Unleashed force you to accumulate more lives because you need them.

Some impressions in the NSMB2 thread just make the game seem good but lacking. I can't help but to notice some disappointment on one side of the coin in some impressions.

The Last Story kind of makes me feel nauseous due to the framerate. It's very much on the easy side, but I like it so far despite that. I guess the reason behind that is because I'm not comparing it to other games right now? *shrug* We'll see how I end up feeling about it in the end, I guess. Still need to finish Growlanser IV too.

Sonic monopoly board revealed, Sonic 4 is the most expensive properties

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/556434_456511861048669_1958312124_n.jpg

... I have absolutely no clue what game those zones in the top right corner are (Metal City, Dusty Ruins, etc.) One of the spin-offs? Pumpkin Hill being buyable is a cute nod, but I would've replaced maybe Heroes with SA1 levels and S4 with more classic zones (they ignored S'06 existence again after all!). But eh, taking board game adaptations of a children's videogame franchise seriously and all that :X

Also did anybody ever post this? Because it's awesome.

... I have absolutely no clue what game those zones in the top right corner are (Metal City, Dusty Ruins, etc.) One of the spin-offs? Pumpkin Hill being buyable is a cute nod, but I would've replaced maybe Heroes with SA1 levels and S4 with more classic zones (they ignored S'06 existence again after all!). But eh, taking board game adaptations of a children's videogame franchise seriously and all that :X

Also did anybody ever post this? Because it's awesome.

Babylon Garden, Sand Ruins and Metal City are from the first Sonic Riders game.

Not really horror, more like boredom because they're all super easy.
Yeah, the Genesis version's special stages kind of blow, to be perfectly honest. Not Sonic Blast bad, but still handily the worst set of the Genesis series.

The Saturn's versions, on the other hand, are amazing. It's like Sonic 2's, but with a ton of new features. You can roll into a ball, for one thing, which, much like in Sonic games proper, lets you roll down downward inclines much faster. Then they add countdown gates, where a number counts downward to 0, and going through the gate awards you as many rings as the number shows when you touch it, giving the spin attack/ramp mechanic some actual use. Then they have some platforms flying above the tubes with extra rings, and springs to traverse them by (granted they only seem to come in sets of two before you fall back down onto the main path, but it's still kinda cool)... It's great.

The PC version's is better than the Genesis's version, but not as good as the Saturn's. It plays like a much, much more straight version of Sonic 2's. The ramp/spin attack mechanics are gone, the springs and extra platforms are gone, etc. On the plus side, the draw distance is pretty phenomenal; you can see the entire stage ahead of you in the distance, which I don't think most special stages opt to do. So, workable, but not astonishing like the Saturn port's.

As far as my favorite special stages go, Chaotix, handily. I really like the "no definitive sense of down" it gives; any surface attached to the one you're running on, provided the angle created is obtuse, can be run onto, and gravity then changes accordingly. The design then accounts for this by adding wildly alternate paths on the ceiling in the later stages. The main game doesn't have much going for it in terms of proper level design, but these sure as hell do. The only problem with them is that they're attached to Chaotix.

qq more

Someone should seriously do a rom hack of Knuckles Chaotix and fix the majority of the problems the game had. I mean, making the Combi system optional and actually make the level design good is good enough for me.

NTom64

Someone should seriously do a rom hack of Knuckles Chaotix and fix the majority of the problems the game had. I mean, making the Combi system optional and actually make the level design good is good enough for me.

Also make it so there's, like, just 2 or 3 acts instead of FIVE per level. It gets really obnoxious after a while since they're all so similar they kind of blend together.

And yeah, the special stages were awesome. Probably the best in the "Classic" series next to S3+K's blue spheres.

So basically, they should make an entirely different game. At that point, why are you even modding Chaotix?

If there were one thing that could easily be fixed, though, having an actual level select would be nice. Random zone selection is ass.

Been out of the loop lately, but I guess we got no new Sonic news from Gamescom? Gettin antsy, I need a new Sonic game announced and all the drama that comes with it soon. SOON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom