• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I assume that words got thrown around in here?

Been out of the loop lately, but I guess we got no new Sonic news from Gamescom? Gettin antsy, I need a new Sonic game announced and all the drama that comes with it soon. SOON.
Sonic 4: Episode II, SA2 HD, and All-Stars Racing Transformed are probably our Sonic games this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rl1zdqGc0

Was this posted? Update on the Sonic Generations PC Unleashed mod. Windmill Isle Act 2 is looking goooood!
Man, that looks great!

I feel like the Hedgehog Engine + Light-field / Sonic's art direction has been vastly underrated this generation. Lighting and how everything looks in proper game format looks absolutely gorgeous. They only issue is the framerate.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm almost to the point where I might say Sonic Generations is better than Sonic Advance, making it my fifth favorite Sonic game. I continuously keep coming back to play it often as it has this nice sense of pick up and play that I like.

Kokonoe

Banned
Advance wished it was that good :p

I'd say the Neo Classic Sonic in Advance is better than Classic Sonic in Generations, though. But either way, they're both really fun to me. After experiencing Sonic 2006, Secret Rings, and being mildly let down by Colors, I'm just still surprised at how good this game is. For me it was just out of nowhere, and to be honest I think the reason I liked Episode I was due to it being less time consuming and simple in comparison to Colors, although I'd rank both in around the same area since I slightly like it more due to this.

Even then, though, Sonic Generations was the first time I considered a Sonic game since Adventure 2 to be extraordinary. Not due to them bringing back some of the previous levels of the series, but how polished, fast and fun it is for me. I might even say it's my favorite game this gen.

Sciz

Advance 1 is mechanically solid, but the level design starts weak and just goes downhill as the game progresses. Music and bosses are nothing to write home about either.

qq more

Advance 1's level design was okay. It did get progressively worse as it went on. Especially Egg Rocket, what a wasted cool concept. :(

Anthony, our Sonic 06-loving friend, has suggested to me on Twitter that I should make a Let's Play on Sonic Chronicles. I'm ashamed to say that I'm actually considering it.

ShadiWulf

don't think this has been posted here yet, but there was an unused renderer discovered in Generations PC, it's an old renderer that was being developed for Unleashed but never got used. Has more advanced graphical effects, different shadows, motion blur, and god rays, but it's unfinished though, so it's quite broken, but it's interesting to see what Sonic Team was trying to aim for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQLjC9jBGY

TheOGB

Banned
So, either I am FAR too used to Unleashed's controls and handling, or Generations does not control as good as it used to. I knew I I was rusty at the levels, but gosh-diggity-darn, this is so bad it calls for another playthrough.

I'll be kinda sad if I don't fall in love a second time...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The same thing happened to me too, but I attributed that to muscle memory more than anything. Generations at least had pretty good drifting.

Anthony, our Sonic 06-loving friend, has suggested to me on Twitter that I should make a Let's Play on Sonic Chronicles. I'm ashamed to say that I'm actually considering it.
Do it. Do it. Do it.

qq more

Good god, playing Sonic Chronicles and not muting it would be torture. I mean, listening to the god awful soundtrack on youtube is bad enough. But you're going to be spending hours and hours (especially because it's an RPG) playing that game and you're gonna hear that god awful shit they call a soundtrack the entire time.

EDIT: Oh wait. Beef is probably immune to it.

Good god, playing Sonic Chronicles and not muting it would be torture. I mean, listening to the god awful soundtrack on youtube is bad enough. But you're going to be spending hours and hours (especially because it's an RPG) playing that game and you're gonna hear that god awful shit they call a soundtrack the entire time.

More than immune. I've played through the game twice. The New Game+ was probably worse than the first run. I was too overpowered and it made the game boring as hell! :lol
Huh, expected someone to drop by with the Nocturne theme from Brotherhood by now.

Ask, and ye shall recieve.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The latest Final Fantasy thread has made me realize something: Lightning Farron is the current Shadow the Hedgehog of Final Fantasy. They're both supposed to be cool and have cool designs, they're both supposed to look cool during cutscenes, they're both modeled after other characters in the series, they're both shoved into a lot of things without reason (due to 'popularity' or marketability), and so on.

I mean, I know I joke around and say that the Sonic fanbase and FF/SE fanbase have a lot of parallels between them, but man... :lol

It's like Toriyama and Iizuka are one in the same. Toriyama loves Lightning. Iizuka loves Shadow. They have lunch together.

OMG Aero

The latest Final Fantasy thread has made me realize something: Lightning Farron is the current Shadow the Hedgehog of Final Fantasy. They're both supposed to be cool and have cool designs, they're both supposed to look cool during cutscenes, they're both modeled after other characters in the series, they're both shoved into a lot of things without reason (due to 'popularity' or marketability), and so on.

I mean, I know I joke around and say that the Sonic fanbase and FF/SE fanbase have a lot of parallels between them, but man... :lol

It's like Toriyama and Iizuka are one in the same. Toriyama loves Lightning. Iizuka loves Shadow. They have lunch together.
So who is Snow?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Silver or [insert Sonic character I loathe here]:

FdIPY.gif

560361_owjs48.gif

Rlan

Gamespot added a new 20 minute video of NiGHTS HD:

http://au.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_nights_into_dreams_hd20120821

Now interestingly they show the title menu:

nights1.png

Now, if we compare this to the PS2 Remake's menu we have some different options:

nights2.png

So the game does include the "Brand New Dreams" and Sega Saturn Dreams mode for both, but the Saturn game had 3 unlockables -- Christmas Dream, Gallery and Movie Theater. The 360 version has 2 unlockable things, hidden under question marks, but adds something else -- Presents.

Presents were a special thing specific to Christmas Nights, where players would unlock and view art Galleries, promotional movies and other stuff. In the PS2 game it was just galleries and you unlocked them once you completed the Christmas Nights levels.

Looks like they might be bringing back the unlockable stuff for this version? It'd be silly to have Galleries AND Presents, so maybe the Question Marks are something different again? We can assume one of them is Christmas Nights, other is probably movie theatre, but I would have thought they'd put them into the presents?

ShadiWulf

Figured the NiGHTS stuff was worth its own topic, so I made one. Nobody's replied to it, though, as of wiriting, so maybe I was wrong.

NiGHTS isn't hip enough for anyone to care

replied to the topic for you, watch it still get buried anyways

and theres not much new info in that video, just the PR guy talking about how Iizuka-san did research on dreams and how we dream of the same gender as us, which is why NiGHTS has no gender. Which i don't think is true, but Iizuka-san probably told him that or something.

lol, reason given before by Iizuka for NiGHTS having no gender is he wanted to player to decide in order to connect easier to NiGHTS, but you know, he changes his mind a lot.

Thanks.

That sounds like a total load, though. I know I have tendencies to dream about women, for instance. Then again, I'm an unmarried nerd who has almost no chance at getting a girlfriend; of course I would be.

Should I feel bad or good for skipping FFXIII? The overworld's overarching overt linearity kind of killed my interest. I don't like RPG fighting mechanics enough that streamlining the game to be them and only them would really tickle my fancy...

Kokonoe

Banned
Should I feel bad or good for skipping FFXIII? The overworld's overarching overt linearity kind of killed my interest. I don't like RPG fighting mechanics enough that streamlining the game to be them and only them would really tickle my fancy...

Well, I've only put in solid time in three Final Fantasy mainline games.

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XI and some Final Fantasy IV online multiplayer unofficial game.

I can tell you now that the game has one of the most dull, auto pilot combat systems I've ever experienced in an RPG. It's also the most linear RPG I've ever played, but that's not why I dislike it, but how the game progresses it feels like Final Fantasy on rails in a way.
Characters are almost practically identical in movesets with minor differences, and the way you obtain items is dull and time consuming. It has nice graphics, and I suppose an okay story, but I honestly forced myself to get to where I'm at currently which is the last part, and I stopped a few months back.

It's a 6.5-7.0 in my book.

BlackJace

The battle system's really cool and all, but yeah the exploration and "questing" is shameful. And don't even get me started on the story.

I haven't read a summary for the full plot, but the brief synopsis about the world left me... utterly confused.

So you have these warring gods or something, and they decide to entrust random humans with various tasks. If the humans complete those tasks, they undergo a horrible I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream kind of situation. If they choose to defy the god, they undergo a horrible I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream kind of situation, but one distinct from completing their mission.

Okay, so why do I want to get involved in this Catch-22, again?

TheOGB

Banned

It was a pretty damn short RPG from what I remember

*sigh* ALRIGHT, FINE

Once I finish moving and I get my class schedule all set-up, I'll work on it.

You've been goaded into this horrible idea like Paul Heyman got tricked into making us witness Bork vs Trips at Summerslam.
So here's this for you Beef, you've done gone and doomed yourself.
qMOKX.gif

I haven't played Chronicles since I first finished it, I can't say I have any desire to ever return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom