• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadiWulf

Very unlikely we will see Miku in the western release. There is always a chance though that SEGA Japan will make them add in Miku if the game comes out in Japan, maybe even rename it Hatsune Miku & All-Stars Racing transformed.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think that was moreso a case of trying to fit in an age appropriate HOTD racer in the game rather than trying to appeal to Japan.

SUMO doesn't just try to appeal to one market, as I've mentioned before at the time where Big The Cat was confirmed to not being used anymore, they pretty much said because of it that would actually motivate them to put the character in the game.

The only thing I remember from Virtual On is a bunch of people wanting it to be re-released

and then it was

and then no-one gave a fuck

Kokonoe

Banned
SEGA doesn't really market Virtual-On, although you could say that about a few of their franchises. I immensely enjoy the games, though.

Kokonoe

Banned
The last page has me curious, and I figure GAF prefers Classic more, but I'd like to see just in case.

Before I begin, I'll point out that I in fact like both of these designs. However, there is one I prefer over the other.
I have been playing Sonic games since 1994 with Sonic 2, I've enjoyed pretty much all the classic games and the adventure games since that time.

0wp4U.png
RXs6M.png

If I were to compare the two, I'd say Modern Sonic has the better design, and here is why.

Spikes

Modern Sonic's spikes are just a bit longer and thinner, while Classic Sonic's are more round and wider. This is purely preference, but I suppose it would be like comparing short hair to long hair.

Eyes

To be honest, I don't generally like purely black eyes as it lacks a lot of character and is rather dull to be honest. Modern Sonic's design adds green to this, which just happens to be my favorite color.

Overall

Modern Sonic has a more slender build, now if I were to make sense of any of these Sonic designs just for it, I'd say it makes a bit more sense for something that runs fast to have a slender body type, and I think it looks better. I also like the shade of blue on Modern Sonic more.

Classic's design is more of what people generally call "cute" while Modern's is "cool" in theme. Well, they are both "cool", but one is designed entirely around it compared to the other. I don't generally like things people usually consider cute, so for me that's another reason I like Modern's design more.

Well, there you go. Although I'm not a fan of Hatsune Miku.

qq more

I prefer Classic Sonic. Modern Sonic looks kind of weird, especially in renders. He also looks kind of a like a douchebag but I blame his expression more than the design, really.

Classic most definitely.

A few things irritate me about modern's design.

- His slender design leads him to look more awkward more times than not. Most of his weight is in his shoes and head. He might as well not even have a body. I mean, heck, when he runs you can't even tell it's there.

sonics_run_hurts.jpg

- The green eyes. Not only are they acid green and completely garish, but they also have no business in his color scheme. Red blue and neutrals are all he really needs. Other non intrusive colors are ok, like his gold buckles, as they fit in with his tan parts.

Classic's design is just far better thought out. It's very well balanced.

Side note: I will say that modern's levels in generations were a lot more fun than classic's though. I love the classic in modern level mod.

I like both. I can be happy with the two equally co-exsiting, just like my two favorite Megaman designs are the classic and Legends designs. I think it's pretty amusing to see people get so emotional over Modern Sonic. His current design is a very nice middle ground I feel.

- His slender design leads him to look more awkward more times than not. Most of his weight is in his shoes and head. He might as well not even have a body. I mean, heck, when he runs you can't even tell it's there.

sonics_run_hurts.jpg
I agree with this gripe, but I blame that more on the animation/posing than anything. Some adjustments would grant him a better running silhouette. I don't think Unleashed or Colors had this animation so extremely posed, although I could be wrong. But I just can't find much to get offended about the current look.

Sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303392634-015.jpg

I agree with this gripe, but I blame that more on the animation/posing than anything. I mean really, I just can't find much to get offended about the current look.[/IMG]

I agree, the animation could be a ton better, but I imagine it's hard to do with that design. If you look at how all the spikes are bunched together when he runs, there isn't really anything for them to do with them otherwise. They just end up covering all the other details anyway. That's just something that comes with his design. His head and feet are the emphasis now. There's not much they can do to get around that.

Modern can look good at some times, like that picture you just posted, but it's a real mixed bag.

qq more

The only time I ever get upset at Modern Sonic's look is when he looks like a douchebag in renders.

See: Sonic 4 logos. Don't you just wanna punch that smug face really hard?

But other than that, I'm fine with the design.

These aren't the clearest screenshots, but they do show a better running silhouette for Modern Sonic in Unleashed/Colors than Generations. No chest consumed by head, nice even placement.

Cmq5T.png

vX8sk.png

versus congressman's screen..
sonics_run_hurts.jpg

Yeah they need to take a step back.

Pietepiet

The Generations screenshot is sloped downwards, and from an angle slightly above Sonic. Having a perfect side-on might look different?

Also, I think both Classic and Modern are fantastic designs and not all that different from eachother, but Modern has by preference by just a little bit. His design fits the "Whoa this guy can run REALLY fast" theme more than chubby Classic Sonic, whose round design fits the spindash/curling more.

Modern got a bit extreme during Sonic 06 especially, but I think from Unleashed onwards he's been perfect.

[EDIT]

More Metal Sonic mod goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm2OukJCQy0

What I love about this guy's mods is that he doesn't mess with gameplay stuff or add awkward animations. A lot of modders do things like try to give Knuckles a glide while boosting or have Blaze's incredibly awkward runcycle from Sonic Rush, and it just looks horrible :\

The only time I ever get upset at Modern Sonic's look is when he looks like a douchebag in renders.

Not sure because his wobbly smirk made him look less smug and more worried, as if he knew that Sonic 4 was not going to live up to expectations but damn did he try to keep that smile anyway.

Given that Sonic is basically a fucking ball, his classic design is pretty much spot-on and any alteration to it is unnecessary and missing the point.

The running animation thing doesn't really bother me at all. In fact, it kind of reminds me of how Sonic's running sprites from the Genesis trilogy have his head jutted out pretty far forward from his body.

With that said, I prefer Classic Sonic's more cartoonish design.

TheOGB

Banned
The Generations screenshot is sloped downwards, and from an angle slightly above Sonic. Having a perfect side-on might look different?

Also, I think both Classic and Modern are fantastic designs and not all that different from eachother, but Modern has by preference by just a little bit. His design fits the "Whoa this guy can run REALLY fast" theme more than chubby Classic Sonic, whose round design fits the spindash/curling more.

Modern got a bit extreme during Sonic 06 especially, but I think from Unleashed onwards he's been perfect.

[EDIT]

What I love about this guy's mods is that he doesn't mess with gameplay stuff or add awkward animations. A lot of modders do things like try to give Knuckles a glide while boosting or have Blaze's incredibly awkward runcycle from Sonic Rush, and it just looks horrible :
Yeah, Classic Sonic is round and embodies the kind of spindashing, pinballing gameplay he was known for.

When the emphasis became more about speed Sonic himself became sleeker, more aerodynamic,
that's probably bullshit, but in my head I can't say sleeker without saying "more aerodynamic" immediately afterwards; I blame TV
so I have no problems with that. My only beef with Modern is, again, when he gets too douchey, but they've been pretty good at avoiding that for the most part. He's been looking pretty good since Unleashed.

We definitely need more 2D art though. Definitely.

Kokonoe

Banned

I don't honestly view it like that all, although I prefer the 2D art immensely.

The green eyes. Not only are they acid green and completely garish, but they also have no business in his color scheme. Red blue and neutrals are all he really needs. Other non intrusive colors are ok, like his gold buckles, as they fit in with his tan parts.

I think the green clashes quite well with the blue. There are other character designs that do not feature a mix/match of green that still look great such as Felecia, and Konata Izumi.

What I love about this guy's mods is that he doesn't mess with gameplay stuff or add awkward animations. A lot of modders do things like try to give Knuckles a glide while boosting or have Blaze's incredibly awkward runcycle from Sonic Rush, and it just looks horrible :\

These are really turning out well. Now all we need is this
Qxeu6.png
and Neo Metal Sonic for modern.

Yeah those images of Sonic in Colors and Unleashed are both a lot to do with camera angle and probably just the speed Sonic is traveling in. Sonic does not just have "Walk" and "Run" animations anymore; now they blend between at least 4-5 different animatons at different speeds he is moving at. The faster Sonic moves, the lower his head is positioned, and the further back his body gets. Here are images from Sonic Unleashed showing what is probably the same identical animation from Generations:

62U65.png
qP5OI.png
McGL0.png
PGC0c.png

I agree that I think both Classic and Modern Sonic are fine these days. Modern Sonic has to look appropriately athletic, I think, and he does. Though I think they only just very recently got it "right" - in games like Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2006, he looked pretty bad, especially with how floppy they were making his quills.

I also feel like they went a little too deliberately cute for Classic Sonic. I think the Sonic the Fighters proportions are probably "perfect" as far as I am concerned regarding Classic Sonic.

Feels less cute to me.

Kokonoe

Banned
That's actually how I prefer Classic Sonic, but there was another art I liked that use to be at the back of Sonic comics I liked as well that I am unable to locate. Either way, both are great designs.

I don't think I prefer one Sonic over the other. I think they both look cool. I just kinda accepted them, green eyes and all. I never got the big deal over that shit.

This isn't like a DmC Dante situation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I prefer one Sonic over the other. I think they both look cool. I just kinda accepted them, green eyes and all. I never got the big deal over that shit.

This isn't like a DmC Dante situation.
Yeah, same. I don't really care anymore outside of some modern renders which make him smile like a jerky-jerk.

I also feel like they went a little too deliberately cute for Classic Sonic. I think the Sonic the Fighters proportions are probably "perfect" as far as I am concerned regarding Classic Sonic.

Feels less cute to me.
I dunno, that Sonic the Fighters image is pretty cute.

But I like cuuuuuute so I ended up liking the Classic render for Generations. It's adorable. D'awww...

And his animations are so d'awwww.

D'awww...

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't dislike the model used in Generations, but it's definitely subpar in comparison to the style in the original Sonic games. Or inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom