• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
DosTv.png

BlackJace

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER

FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM

You'd think these "constant repeated lines syndrome" would be only for crappy 3d Sonic games, but even in 2011 we're still getting IT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY: THE MORE THE MERRIER
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no thanks

Unless you think Sonic 2006 is good

we shun those people
Going back to talking about Sonic's models here, but I don't like the 2006 model very much. That's partially because Sonic lacks animations, especially for those wall jumping parts.

Then again, Sonic 2006 wasn't a very good-looking game at all.

TheOGB

Banned
The Gumby syndrome was especially egregious in 06. He looked good in about 3 instances. Same with Shadow. Can't say the same about anyone else except Rouge, but uhh...

Silver looked fine, but he was made like that for that

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic the Fighters was awesome

That doesn't really have anything to do with how the characters look but it was fun as hell

06 is odd to me when it comes to Sonic's character model since there are things that I dislike and things I actually find okay. For example, the Sonic on the cover of the game is actually pretty appealing for Modern Sonic. Maybe it's just this particular pose? It actually seems fairly close to the Modern Sonic we have today:

600full-sonic-the-hedgehog-cover.jpg

Doesn't really resemble the weird tall in-game model.
n190intownbd8.png

Even stranger, there are several CG cutscenes that use drastically different character models for Sonic, as if one was borrowed from each stage in production. Something I do think they got pretty ok was the center mouth placement on the face. It was just there and didn't look strange at all. Today we have the forced side-mouth, and if it's not at the right angle, it often looks disturbing. Some 2D cheats just don't carry over well into 3D.

I've also considered SA's original Sonic model to be very close to Classic Sonic. His stomach is almost a perfect sphere!

sonicadv_790screen089.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
^ Yes, that is what I was referring to. In-game it doesn't look too great, but on the box in other CG it looks decent. At least I think so.

Got a Mega Drive with Mega CD today. Sonic 1, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, FIFA, Madden, NFL, Desert Strike, Paperboy and Lethal Enforcers (lol), all for a tenner.

Now to find a copy of Sonic CD.

Considering I had to pay $70 for my Sega CD alone (although it came with Final Fight and some Make My Video game I will never play), nice purchase.

I've also considered SA's original Sonic model to be very close to Classic Sonic. His stomach is almost a perfect sphere!

sonicadv_790screen089.jpg

From what I've heard/read, they wer originally going to use a Classic Sonic model in SA1. In fact, if you watch footage from Sky Chase, the model used is a near copy of the one from Sonic R.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah but you're a GIRL with COOTIES
9YTwc.gif
Nuh-uh. From what I heard, boys have more cooties than giiiiirls. :p

SwiftSketcher said:
Something I do think they got pretty ok was the center mouth placement on the face. It was just there and didn't look strange at all.
Yeah, sometimes it was okay, and sometimes it was kinda weird in that game.

At least it isn't like in Adventure where the mouth does some really really weird stuff. Sonic, how are you making coherent sounds with your mouth opening that way?! D:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Tails Adventure isn't bad. Some of it is a little wonky, but I appreciate for what it was.

Oh, and there's something I want to bring up. Considering pokecapn's Four Swords Adventures LP started last night (here's episode 1, btw, I was considering either:

1) retooling the FFXIII-2 LP thread's OP and making it a little more like the Game Grumps thread, but not as specific with listing every episode title... and requesting a name change from a mod (I suck at naming things so I can't possibly think of a good name, lol).

2) I or someone else creating another thread for the pokecapn/KFJ/medibot/kaz/etc LPs, whether archived or not (ie: the FF9 one on KFJ's twitch account).

Figured I'd put the question forth here too because this is where the FFXIII-2 LP thread idea came from. And because most of us seem to like watching LPs anyway.

Considering I had to pay $70 for my Sega CD alone (although it came with Final Fight and some Make My Video game I will never play), nice purchase.

Yikes... mine's in good nick too, although crucially it's missing a power lead. Nothing a hunt on eBay can't fix though! Gotta find the video leads for the MD too, but given the dominance of that console this side of the pond I'd imagine that also won't be a problem to fix.

Lethal Enforcers looks real dumb. FMV!

WillyFive

Yeah, that mouth animation in SA1 never sat well with me. I greatly appreciated all the work and effort that went into improving it in SA2, it's like night and day.

TheOGB

Banned
Iizuka? Backbone? take your pick.

...I still need to finish the game at some point.
No you don't.

Woke up with SA2 on the brain for some reason, so I came up with OT titles:
Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| Now You're Old Enough to Realize It Sucks
|OT| Preparing You For the Dark Future Ahead
|OT| A Ghost Tried to Approach Me and Got Leery
|OT| SA1 Was BetteI'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS

BlackJace

No you don't.

Woke up with SA2 on the brain for some reason, so I came up with OT titles:
Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| Now You're Old Enough to Realize It Sucks
|OT| Preparing You For the Dark Future Ahead
|OT| A Ghost Tried to Approach Me and Got Leery
|OT| SA1 Was BetteI'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS

I laughed way too hard. I wish this would be the title.

Actually, I might just use that one. I was gonna go with "SA2 HD |OT| MARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAA, you gotta see her!" but I feel my love for Blondie is blinding me of the actual quality of that one.

Actually, I might just use that one. I was gonna go with "SA2 HD |OT| MARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAA, you gotta see her!" but I feel my love for Blondie is blinding me of the actual quality of that one.
I don't get it.

Although it reminds me of this old comic (warning: 日本語ですよ, although I think you'll get the joke despite that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom