• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it. I've played those stages a thousand times in Unleashed anyway, so getting a fresh version is great for me.

[EDIT] There seems to be a zipline above the swinging platforms in this Generations version. Catching it = shortcut. Missing it = platforms that take longer. Same shortcut idea, different execution.

Ah, okay, I missed seeing the zipline the first time. I don't mind that so much, and that was really the only part I felt genuinely weird about.

Has there been any more progress on slapping Classic Sonic into Werehog levels?

I think they want to work on getting the Modern Sonic levels done first and said anything to do with Classic Sonic will come strictly as a "bonus extra".

I feel like part of that is because of the spindash not working in 3D. I'm sure they're looking in to it; it's at least known why spindashing as classic Sonic in 3D crashes the game - the spindash vector is locked to the last 2D camera angle or whatever, and if no 2D camera angle has been set, it crashes the game.

Somebody will probably come up with a way to set the spindash vector to whatever angle Classic Sonic is facing in 3D, but for now it has not happened.

Mr Swine

Banned
But the Egg Mobile in the three Genesis games are fairly different from one another. Heck, he doesn't even have a standard one in Sonic CD; the one he escapes in after Collision Chaos and Tidal Tempest doesn't look like the one from Stardust Speedway, he just uses a jetpack in Palmtree Panic, runs on foot from Quartz Quadrant and Wacky Workbench, and just kinda goes off in the spherical machine he fought in from Metallic Madness.

Personally, the Sonic [1] one is the most iconic to me - if only because it's the only one I know the most details of from memory.

Hmm I could have sworn that Sonic 1 and 2 had the same design, oh well my memory isn't what is used to be lol. I preferr the Sonic 1, Sonic 3 and Generation design.

Edit: Also I don't see Sonic CD as Canon to the Sonic games so...

Spindashing would probably be mostly ineffective in 3D in its current form anyway. Perhaps they could reuse the animation for some kind of charge attack.

qq more

I really wouldn't mind if they just do a reimagining of the Night stages in 2D Classic gameplay instead of just hey it's "Classic Sonic in Werehog stages!". I just find the Werehog stages very boring. Although that's require a lot more time and effort I guess.

Didn't they lose the source code for most of their Saturn stuff? I remember reading that somewhere.

I'm debating whether or not I want to buy SA2. The one feature I would have definitely bought the game for isn't in (Online multiplayer) and I'm not really the biggest fan of the game to begin with...

Emitan

Gametap has the source code for Panzer Dragoon or whatever that game is that everyone is sad they lost the code for.

Still waiting on that remake, Sega.

Gametap has the source code for Panzer Dragoon or whatever that game is that everyone is sad they lost the code for.

Still waiting on that remake, Sega.
No, they had the rights to release Saga on their service (and should've, considering they had the original and Zwei on it already). This was back when they still had Sega's consoles on the service, including Genesis, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast emulators. They have since dropped all of that from the service.

They even announced they were adding NiGHTS. They never did.

Emitan

No, they had the rights to release Saga on their service (and should've, considering they had the original and Zwei on it already). This was back when they still had Sega's consoles on the service, including Genesis, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast emulators. They have since dropped all of that from the service.

They even announced they were adding NiGHTS. They never did.

On a podcast (don't remember which) a former employee stated that they had the code to the game so that they could port it to PC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And complimented the art to boot. >.>

UBcEC.png

Seriously, though. Fix the framerate in this one, and it'll be quite pleasant from an atmospheric perspective.

qq more

That fucking glitch at the end killed me. Hahaha. I had NO idea that was even possible. It got fixed as soon as the creator of the game saw the vid.

And complimented the art to boot. >.>

Seriously, though. Fix the framerate in this one, and it'll be quite pleasant from an atmospheric perspective.

The framerate has been dramatically improved... like really improved. Turns out the culprit was not just the crazy amount of backdrop tiles but also some of the collision checks. We're going to release the updated demo as soon as we're done with the proper gamepad support.

We've also fixed up the majority of complaints such as the heaviness and the dickish Snow Robotnik placement.

EDIT: Not to mention Polar Peak Act 2's level layout got some changes such as 50% less slow moving platforms!

qq more

Goddamn qq, you made that?

Nothing but the highest respect :)

I didn't make the graphics in Polar Peaks. A friend did (but unfortunately he quit in the middle of the development due to life). However, I made the graphics for Sparkling Seaside (background and trees aside). We have another spriter in the project and he did pretty much almost everything that aren't level tiles (but he DID make the Sparkling Seaside and part of Relic Retreat's backgrounds).

Most of I've done in the project is the level layout for the first two zones. ...Come to think of it, I also helped a bit with the programming (I rebuilt the enemy system for the engine. I also made the dialog system.) ...And I did suggested a lot of things and assisted in bug fixing. ...Okay I've done a lot too. lol

BlackJace

I didn't make the graphics in Polar Peaks. A friend did (but unfortunately he quit in the middle of the development due to life). However, I made the graphics for Sparkling Seaside (background and trees aside). We have another spriter in the project and he did pretty much almost everything that aren't level tiles (but he DID make the Sparkling Seaside and part of Relic Retreat's backgrounds).

Most of I've done in the project is the level layout for the first two zones. ...Come to think of it, I also helped a bit with the programming (I rebuilt the enemy system for the engine. I also made the dialog system.) ...And I did suggested a lot of things and assisted in bug fixing. ...Okay I've done a lot too. lol

Well, my complement still stands. Seeing a project (especially fan made things) through is a tough to do.

qq more

Oh yeah. Definitely. Level designing Sonic levels is a total bitch. SSZ was the least fun I ever had in designing a level. Relic Retreat though... I surprisingly had a lot of fun designing that one!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Reposting from another thread. I'm pretty impressed with Before the Sequel now that I've put more time into it. It has a bit of issues, but it's solid.

Additionally, that Lost Level Act 1 music reminded me so much of Genso Suikoden II's Reminiscence / GS2's Days Past that I ended up tearing up. >.>

Sonic Before the Sequel

I saw the 2012 version up during SAGE 2012, and I figured why not. It's a very good fangame! The meaning behind 'Sonic Before the Sequel' means that the game is supposed to take place between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Fangames usually differ in terms of they feel, especially in terms of what Sonic fans like to scream out every now and then: physics. While not perfect (some floatiness), SBtS's physics feel pretty good. Most of the level design revolves around trying to make Sonic move faster and it doesn't seem to like throwing obstructions in front of you to stop you from going quick in earlier stages. In later stages, of course, they get a little tricker. You also move between playing Sonic and Tails despite them having not met yet. Tails's levels have less running sections and more platforming, but that's because he flies. There's also a Yoshi's Island 'touch fuzzy get dizzy' type of thing in Tails's levels.

By the way, the 2012 version has some good music (ex: Sunset Star Act 3; Metro Madness Act 1, Fortress Flow Boss, Lost Levels Act 1). I sometimes feel like the art is a little cluttered in the levels, but otherwise, it plays well. It is longer than you think it is, though.

You can download it here if you're interested.

qq more

Reposting from another thread. I'm pretty impressed with Before the Sequel now that I've put more time into it. It has a bit of issues, but it's solid.

Additionally, that Lost Level Act 1 music reminded me so much of Genso Suikoden II's Reminiscence / GS2's Days Past that I ended up tearing up. >.>

Before The Sequel is great. But I think the game kind of dragged on for too long (but I think it is because some of the levels didn't feel different enough, kind of vanilla in some areas).

Oh and I wish the game has a level select after you beat the game or something... there were some great levels I really wanted to replay.

In speaking of, After The Sequel released a demo during SAGE and its level design is a major improvement so far. I recommend it. I'm excited for the full game. :D

I still think "Friday Purples" is the best song on that soundtrack.

Also, from linked post:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

We all have our favourite games that we just love to speedrun. Well, this is one of mine. Ever since I was little, I've always loved trying to speedrun Sonic 2. Outside of Metropolis Zone, which they ended up taking some hints from for Mad Gear Zone in Sonic 4, I still love blasting through all of the zones, especially in Super Saiyan mode.

6BHmh.jpg
Try getting y5 lives next time :D

ShadiWulf

I've heard great things about the Iizuka-san interview that's included on the SEGA heritage collection, looking forward to seeing it myself. Didn't think we would get one this year xD cause no new Sonic Team games coming out. So thank you SEGA! XD

This will satisfy until next year

Since last time I streamed Sonic games some folks were bummed I didn't post about it here, I figured I'd give a heads up that I am currently in prep for this (spent most of the day on it)

http://live.letsvideogame.com/

Still doing tweaks on the site and stuff, if anyone thinks something is too big or too small, now would be a good time to voice concern about design. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yesssss, new glasses. Now I don't have to worry about the stupid thing slipping down my nose all the time.

...I just have to wait for them for a few days. :/

Since last time I streamed Sonic games some folks were bummed I didn't post about it here, I figured I'd give a heads up that I am currently in prep for this (spent most of the day on it)

http://live.letsvideogame.com/

Still doing tweaks on the site and stuff, if anyone thinks something is too big or too small, now would be a good time to voice concern about design. :p
I think the site looks fine.

Super-glad the 9th falls on a Sunday this year, otherwise I'd have to miss most of it. :p I think you should try out the demo for Skies, though. I haven't seen that before.

That wasn't my screenshot. I didn't want to take a picture of my TV with the Genesis hooked up. :lol But seriously... for some reason, I'd much rather speedrun/play Sonic 2 with the Genesis copy than ports of it. Not sure why. Maybe it's the controller, but newer controllers probably do a better job with the game than the original Genesis controller.

But wouldn't 255 underflow glitch take up more time for the player if they want to speedrun the game? I love abusing flow glitches like that, though.

Before The Sequel is great. But I think the game kind of dragged on for too long (but I think it is because some of the levels didn't feel different enough, kind of vanilla in some areas).

Oh and I wish the game has a level select after you beat the game or something... there were some great levels I really wanted to replay.

In speaking of, After The Sequel released a demo during SAGE and its level design is a major improvement so far. I recommend it. I'm excited for the full game. :D
I haven't dug into After The Sequel yet. I plan to soon, though! I hope the level design is better.

I wish they had a level select in Before the Sequel. It's a shame they didn't have one. The other games from SAGE that I've played so far have had a level select and that one didn't. Disappointment, but that's mostly because I wanted to listen to the soundtrack in context again.

And I agree, it felt kinda long (hence why I said, "it's longer than you'd think").

Yesssss, new glasses. Now I don't have to worry about the stupid thing slipping down my nose all the time.

...I just have to wait for them for a few days. :/
Glasses that don't even remotely start slipping downward? What is this wizardry? All of my pairs at least slipped a little.

That wasn't my screenshot. I didn't want to take a picture of my TV with the Genesis hooked up. :lol But seriously... for some reason, I'd much rather speedrun/play Sonic 2 with the Genesis copy than ports of it. Not sure why. Maybe it's the controller, but newer controllers probably do a better job with the game than the original Genesis controller.
Depends. I'd probably take the original Genesis controller over a 360 controller, for instance. Although, there are several variants of Genesis controller; later ones had a DPad more analogous to the Saturn's (US/EU model 2, JPN all models). I want one of those controllers now, since I love the Saturn's DPad. The stiff one I have for all three Genesis controllers I have access to is competent, but it just doesn't compare.

But yeah, playing the real deal is always fun. S'why I went out of my way for a proper Sega CD, for instance.

But wouldn't 255 underflow glitch take up more time for the player if they want to speedrun the game? I love abusing flow glitches like that, though.
It would; I just stumbled upon it recently and felt like sharing. :p

Speaking of fun glitches, y'know how in REV00 of Sonic [1], you can hold the C button and it'll prevent Sonic from jumping during the demos? I abused that to make demo Sonic clear the special stage demo. What really amused me was how the special stage demo, when it rolled back around, then started on the second special stage.

My glasses have been in mass state of slippage as of late, in fact 2 months ago they fell into the umm....twisting toilet zone, saved before delving straight into act 1.

SO YEAH, about that Sonic.

My glasses don't seem to slip at all. *shrug*

Speaking of fun glitches, y'know how in REV00 of Sonic [1], you can hold the C button and it'll prevent Sonic from jumping during the demos? I abused that to make demo Sonic clear the special stage demo. What really amused me was how the special stage demo, when it rolled back around, then started on the second special stage.

That trick used to entertain me for hours on end as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom