• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
i1W8lDT8g4u6A.gif
Instead of Sonic Chronicles' boxart this should be the video for every song from the game

Comix Zone has one of my favorite Genesis soundtracks

That was an awesome game, full-stop. Wish it wasn't so short. Wish there was a sequel :(

I'm awful at comix zone, don't think i've ever made any substantial progress.
I just like to remember it for the "Macho Yell" ability "OH YEAH!"
It's not quite the Macho Man but it will do.

I believe Green Scar called me insane in another thread.

I saw it, Scar has been rumbled.
I don't think the unique opinions are quite on the insanity level of the green eye analysis guy.

I have to ask though, Yoshi's Story over Island?(if one of your many old avatars is correct) I'm not Islands biggest fan but that's just kind of odd, but not insane, nope.

Kokonoe

Banned
I saw it, Scar has been rumbled.
I don't think the unique opinions are quite on the insanity level of the green eye analysis guy.

I have to ask though, Yoshi's Story over Island?(if one of your many old avatars is correct) I'm not Islands biggest fan but that's just kind of odd, but not insane, nope.

I'll do write up after I go through both games which I'll do soon. However, I've asked why Yoshi Story isn't good, and people haven't ever responded to it. Another thing is, I don't generally think someone's crazy if they like something over the other.

I will say this though, not having to deal with Baby Mario is one of the reasons.

I'll do write up after I go through both games which I'll do soon. However, I've asked why Yoshi Story isn't good, and people haven't ever responded to it. Another thing is, I don't generally think someone's crazy if they like something over the other.

I will say this though, not having to deal with Baby Mario is one of the reasons.

I don't actually think it's a bad game myself, i'd say it's probably a bit better than the stigma attached to it.

Though people can be crazy, like preferring Sonic 06 over the rest of the series, this is undeniable.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't actually think it's a bad game myself, i'd say it's probably a bit better than the stigma attached to it.

Though people can be crazy, like preferring Sonic 06 over the rest of the series, this is undeniable.

Oddly enough, I can actually understand why someone might like Sonic 2006, but I'll never understand how they can put up with Sonic 2006. The cliche over the top stuff I know appeals to a certain group, but the game, the actual game itself is just such a buggy mess. It is quite unexplainable.

Sonic Adventure series is certainly up there in my list of top games, and even though 2006 is similar slightly, I could never ever enjoy such a game.

Kokonoe

Banned
I consider myself lucky that I only barely remember HUELEN from my lurking days.

I only know of him because of the Sonic 4 thread title before I received GAF access. I didn't actually read his posts, but I remember "Green Eyed Heaven" or something and him being banned for posting an image of something.
I was actually shocked at first because I thought by "in memory of" someone died, and was relieved it was just a ban.

That's about the extent of my memories of him, too, except I never witnessed the ban. I just remember him having a hard-on for Sonic 4 (which was a good game in theory, but definitely not in practice) and stuff about green eyes, back when this was something of a meme.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was lurking back then too so I wasn't too familiar with his posts outside of the Sonic 4 pre-release thread posts, and while his final post about the smile (and this one too) was incredibly absurd, I don't think it warranted a perma (if that was the offending post).

Anyway, Wreck-It Ralph looks pretty cool, you guys. Probably gonna see it with my little brother a few weeks after its release.

OMG Aero

If Huelen did get banned for the Sonic 4 colour stuff and not something else then that was kind of bullshit. Sperging out on a game should not be a bannable offence and it was kind of funny anyway.

Though there is a kind of beautiful irony in Huelen getting banned for posting about the hue of a character's lens.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I went and read a little bit of the thread, and GAF seemed a bit more hostile compared to it is now. This is the image he was banned for, I don't think he would've been banned with the current setup of moderation.

I guess it's just a matter of moderation? I mean, we all have unpopular opinions, but I don't typically parade them.

For example, that Pony show that's so popular these days. I still firmly stand behind "Hearth's Warming Eve" being Episode 13 of Season 2, as Netflix says, despite everyone else going for 11, as it originally aired/iTunes currently says. However, I kinda caught on that people just didn't want to hear it (I raised the issue several times, and was either completely ignored or got mildly-hostile remarks in response), so I silently excused myself from their OT Community |OT| until Season 3 rolls around... whenever that is. I'm not sure if it was wise to not pick this fight or if I'm just running away from it, but life's still going on regardless, so whatev. It's a bridge I can cross later, and I fully intend to at some point... I'm just that kind of guy.

For a more relevant example, I like Sonic Labyrinth. Everyone hates it, and it's not hard to see why, but I always kind of liked the mechanics. It's like a minigolf game that's scored on time, instead of strokes. Sonic moves really slowly to encourage you to use the spin dash, which has varying degrees of charge, much like you could putt the ball at varying strengths. (I'm sure I'd eat these words if I ever bothered to replay it, though.)

Of course, I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about putting my opinions out there... I recall getting the moderators over at Sonic HQ kind of annoyed with me for my vehement defense of Sonic Adventure DX against a guy who, honestly, probably would've fit right in at NeoGAF (he was touting the PC Gaming Master Race before Yahtzee even made that joke) - despite me not having played the game and finding myself unable to justify spending $50 to rebuy a game I already had on the Dreamcast to put my money where my mouth was. Funnily enough, I've grown to kind of agree with the guy since (the steady decline in quality of the series didn't help matters, after all).

I dunno, I'm losing my train of thought and have no idea what I was saying anymore.

Though there is a kind of beautiful irony in Huelen getting banned for posting about the hue of a character's lens.
clap.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Of course, I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about putting my opinions out there...
I actually tend to hold back whenever I criticize something, to be honest with you... especially on GAF where people get super duper ultra defensive about something. You can especially see it in Official Threads where most of the time you're going to find a lot of people who like the game, but if you hold a different opinion, or even still like the game but you have a few criticisms about it and call it flawed, people jump on you and defend it like crazy or even say you hate the game since you're not treating it like the second coming even though opinions are a thing or you may still like the game despite the flaws but don't think it's the bestest thing in the world. I can think of a few threads like that already, especially within the past year or so.

I don't really like coming clean about what I really think about a game or an issue just because of that nonsense.

I actually tend to hold back whenever I criticize something, to be honest with you... especially on GAF where people get super duper ultra defensive about something. You can especially see it in Official Threads where most of the time you're going to find a lot of people who like the game, but if you hold a different opinion, or even still like the game but you have a few criticisms about it and call it flawed, people jump on you and defend it like crazy or even say you hate the game since you're not treating it like the second coming even though opinions are a thing. I can think of a few threads like that already, especially within the past year or so.

I don't really like coming clean about what I really think about a game or an issue just because of that nonsense.

Who knows what filthy game related secrets we all hide under our masks? no doubt the unveiling of some would cause us here in Sonic Gaf to jump down each others throats.

Actually i've never experienced the whole official thread dogpile thing myself, maybe I just tend to be in the OT's that don't activate defence mode when met with legitimate gripes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who knows what filthy game related secrets we all hide under our masks? no doubt the unveiling of some would cause us here in Sonic Gaf to jump down each others throats.

Actually i've never experienced the whole official thread dogpile thing myself, maybe I just tend to be in the OT's that don't activate defence mode when met with legitimate gripes.
I'm kind of shocked the Rhythm Thief thread went the way it did when expressing criticisms about the game/game structure to be honest with you. I thought people were going to be more defensive in there.
KuGsj.gif

Well we all know that Beef doesn't like Final Fantasy VI, and that was met with OP YOU'RE WRONG.

The most recent thread dogpiles I can think of are: Xenoblade (say something bad about the game or criticize one aspect of it and you're met with 'omg wtf why do you hate xenoblade wtf is wrong with you you have shitty taste', or even say it's not your RPG of the generation and you're met with the same garbage), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (on both sides of the discussion), Theatrhythm (any criticisms about the localization or game structure are met with utter scrutiny), Guild Wars 2 (it's not WoW so I don't like it, or at least that's what I'm told anyway), Skyward Sword (wtf is wrong with you, why do you like this game so much), Uncharted 3 (it's illegal not to like this game), and so on. Oh, apparently because of my comments about Tales of Xillia's main character on GAF, a lot of people think I hate the game in general or something which is incredibly strange.

It's a very annoying thing on GAF, tbh. Everything has a defense force, surely, but man, it gets really annoying and nuts when you're in an OT. That's why I have a general policy about not posting in threads about games I generally don't like, or to stop posting in threads about games that I'm currently playing/finished playing but have some criticisms about.

I feel good about posting that in here because SonicGAF is made of cool people who are pretty relaxed about this kind of stuff anyway.

It's pretty bad in Wii U topics. I know I really wish I could believe that the Wii U would be able to keep up with whatever Durango/PS4 end up being, but the grim reality that it very likely will be a repeat of this generation is slowly sinking in. Others want to keep the hope springing ever eternal. Still, the subject gets pretty heated, and you end up seeing grayed-out names on both sides. It's a mess, but then I've been led to believe console launches are typically like this.

It's times like this that I revert to my typical lurker mode, because I'm way too shy to step into something like that, lest I overreach.

Then again, I think I switched into Defense Force Mode in that Aladdin topic, so I'm not exactly guiltless here.

EmCeeGramr has the best reactions to HUELEN10's posts.
image.php

(I don't understand why the dialogue in Deus Ex claims JC never smiles. He always looked like he had this ridiculous smirk throughout the whole game. Was pretty hilarious, actually.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom