• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Although you have to ask how on Earth the games wound up being so much more slippery.

I mean, were they always that bad, and I just got used to better mechanics by playing Nintendo's GameCube offerings between Adventure 2 and Heroes, or did it actually change for the worse?

Shadow The Hedgehog had very slippery controls (played the PS2 version though) and I kinda remember Sonic Heroes' were slippery too (Gamecube version). SA2 was anything but slippery IIRC

It's unbelievable how little care they put into the controls after SA2's refinement >_>

It's something I don't think the games have fully recovered from. They hit a peak of awfulness in 2K6, but even in Generations, when you're not boosting, the controls feel off. It might just be that the acceleration is remarkably low, I'm not entirely sure. I just know it makes platforming rather annoying. At least I don't recall encountering the "turn 180 on a dime" issues that 2K6 had in Generations...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I don't like Elise because of the natural reason to dislike her. I don't like her character model, I don't like her character in general, and she doesn't offer anything interesting to gameplay styles, nor does she offer anything substantial to the series.

That's mostly why Elise is terrible.

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, I don't like Elise because of the natural reason to dislike her. I don't like her character model, I don't like her character in general, and she doesn't offer anything interesting to gameplay styles, nor does she offer anything substantial to the series.

I think this is the real reason.

KgllX.png

What the sucks the most in my view is that Lacey Chabert (Elise's VA to those who are unaware) was apparently a fan of the series when she came onboard for the role.

Kokonoe

Banned
Elise was just there to be there pretty much, although you could say that about a lot of Sonic characters.
That's all history for now it seems. No more over saturation of pointless characters designed with gimmicks to "wow" the player. By that it has the opposite effect.

However, I still don't have a reason to dislike the character Elise, but how they used it in the game to make it a silly love story that all vanishes in thin air at the end.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who cares, Sonic is merely irredeemable to some people. Frankly, I've stopped giving a ton of craps because they're not going to change their minds.

Kokonoe said:
Making that image has been on my mind for a while now.
It's funnier because I don't like Kingdom Hearts in the slightest.
thatsthejoke.png

Sonic Generations was a travesty apparently.
Sez who?

FUCK KINGDOM HEARTS

I wish they'd give the series to Horii. Dragon Quest it up. Nomura can do one.
I wouldn't mind them expanding the Squenix worlds they can visit.

Fullmetal Alchemist world. Sure, it'd be a step down in terms of adult material (no coughing up blood or anything, like the series proper), but I friggin' love that series (either one, but Brotherhood more), so I wouldn't say no.

Or maybe a Chrono Trigger world or cameo or something. Sora vs. Magus. That'd be fun.

I actually kind of like the series, although the original plots not involving Disney villains are rather gagworthy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even if they gave it to Horii, the story wouldn't make a lick of sense... if you're still paying attention to the story at this point. :p

Birth by Sleep was the only good KH game in the series for me because the combat was actually decent and Aqua was a passable character. I haven't played the 3DS game yet but from what I can tell from the demo, I probably wouldn't like the rest of the game...

Er... I totally mean no disrespect to anyone in the thread who likes KH! Really! This is why I don't participate in KH threads... I hate to rain on parades.

Shadow Hog said:
I wouldn't mind them expanding the Squenix worlds they can visit.
I am legitimately shocked that they have never ever done this yet in the series. That way you won't be revisiting the same worlds over and over and over in every game in the series (I can't wait to go back to Agrabah again, can you?). They probably wouldn't want clashing artstyles, I guess.

Or maybe it's a Disney call. That might be why they ended up sticking all the FF characters in Hallow Bastion or whatever it's called now.

I play it for the Disney fanservice (Huge fan of Disney, in case my avatar didn't make that apparent, heh) and the more often than not interesting battle systems.
The retarded plot is a guilty pleasure of mine, though :x

Still, I can definitely understand why one would be put off by the series.

For no reason I must mention that i'm totally listening to dive into the mediocre mellow right now, I would never have appreciated its mellowness if not for Sonic Gaf.

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually haven't ran into people who also dislike Kingdom Hearts. I'm not fond of it either.

Who cares, Sonic is merely irredeemable to some people. Frankly, I've stopped giving a ton of craps because they're not going to change their minds.

It's funnier because I don't like Kingdom Hearts in the slightest.
thatsthejoke.png

I would have never known if not for the Final Fantasy thread.

For no reason I must mention that i'm totally listening to dive into the mediocre mellow right now, I would never have appreciated its mellowness if not for Sonic Gaf.

My opinion, but I honestly think if you haven't spent the time to listen to Adventure 2's OST, you should because it's really good.

Dive Into the Mellow would be so much more enjoyable with just the instrumentals. That goes for most of the Knuckles tracks, really.

Come to think of it, Knuckles and Rouge's tracks are pretty much the only ones I like from SA2. Weird.

Well, yeah. Whoever created a lot of the Sonic cast apparently doesn't know anything about character development because they're all basically one dimensional archetypes at best. With characters like Elise, she isn't even anything at all. She makes references to character traits (inexplicable cherry blossom scene where she tells Sonic he taught her how to have fun or whatever), but we never actually see them in action.

The saddest/weirdest part is that you can probably draw a lot of parallels between Elise and, say, Bella from Twilight; except Elise is a pretty pretty Princess and Bella is just some random high school girl who thinks everybody hates her even though apparently the whole world falls all over her every word. But they are both totally blank slates with absolutely no personality to speak of and are yet the most important characters to the story.

Well, yeah. Whoever created a lot of the Sonic cast apparently doesn't know anything about character development because they're all basically one dimensional archetypes at best. With characters like Elise, she isn't even anything at all. She makes references to character traits (inexplicable cherry blossom scene where she tells Sonic he taught her how to have fun or whatever), but we never actually see them in action.

The saddest/weirdest part is that you can probably draw a lot of parallels between Elise and, say, Bella from Twilight; except Elise is a pretty pretty Princess and Bella is just some random high school girl who thinks everybody hates her even though apparently the whole world falls all over her every word. But they are both totally blank slates with absolutely no personality to speak of and are yet the most important characters to the story.

Why do you know so much about Twilight?

TheOGB

Banned
Kick the Rock is ultimately better.
This poster knows the deal

But seriously, as much as I love Kick the Rock the song disturbs me. It basically goes from "The bat chick sends me weird vibes, and may want my dick" to "My emeralds are gone? That bitch, I'll kick her ass and maybe fuck her!" and actually goes into "GIVE UP THE EMERALD OR DIE, I DON'T LOVE YOU", presumably just stopping short of calling her a hoe.

but maybe my brain is doing too much when I listen to it

Death Chamber is 3rd after Kick the Rock and Pumpkin Hill.

I'm just never going to understand why people genuinely like this game or (most of) its music.
I'll admit I don't like it as much as I used to (the parts of both the game and soundtrack I like), but it's still worth listening to.

I don't, really?

No more than anyone else, I would assume. I've been linked to a few articles from friends about why it's such an awful story, I've seen the Rifftrax for the first movie (I heard it was one of their best, and I love MST3K), and... that's kind of it, really.

I don't even think my post was terribly in-depth about anything regarding the themes of Twilight, just that "Elise and Bella are horrible characters in similar ways".

I think the real question here is: why did it pique your interest?

I'm just never going to understand why people genuinely like this game or (most of) its music.

Yeah, agreed. Sonic Adventure 2's OST has some really great stand-out songs (Metal Harbor) but at least for me, that's where it really started to feel like maybe they were leaning a little too hard on Jun Senoue's guitar playing and not enough on creating real actual music.

I appreciate every character being given a "style" of music, but at least half of those styles seem to devolve down in to "listen to Jun Senoue wail on random guitar chords for two minutes without a driving melody".

Bleh.

Kokonoe

Banned
The only thing negative I can say about Adventure 2's OST is that the character themes (besides Shadow since Shadow wasn't in the first game), don't compare at all to the Sonic Adventure ones.

The originals were a lot more classy, had a lot more emotion, and had incredible atmosphere and feeling. The ones in SA2 are more Backstreet Boys-esque. (Besides Knuckles on that last part of course)

My opinion, but I honestly think if you haven't spent the time to listen to Adventure 2's OST, you should because it's really good.
Oh I have, just that I never paid attention to most of Knuckles stuff because of the awful lyrics polluting them.
Don't much care for Shadow's stuff either aside from maybe White Jungle.

Dive Into the Mellow would be so much more enjoyable with just the instrumentals. That goes for most of the Knuckles tracks, really.

Come to think of it, Knuckles and Rouge's tracks are pretty much the only ones I like from SA2. Weird.
Damn right, also Rouge's tracks are like the hidden treasure of that game.

Sciz

I'm just never going to understand how people may dislike it!

And that's fine!

It's just that unlike every other well-regarded Sonic OST where people generally enjoy the whole thing, there's something like 1/3rd of SA2's music that gets specifically mentioned by anyone ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*pout* Meanies. I like SA2's soundtrack a lot. >:|

I will concede that some of the songs arranged from the first game are much better on the SA1 soundtrack (ex: It Doesn't Matter).

While we're on the subject and I know the question wasn't directed at me, but... I know a lot about Twilight because my friends made me read the books, starting from the first book when it first came out around 2005-2006-ish. I dunno. I hated the first book so much that the running joke was to make me read the next books because they wanted to see what I'd say about them. The fourth book is fucking nonsense. The thing is that all of the books are completely dry, and you have to read pages upon pages of purple prose. Nothing fucking happens for 7/8s of the entire book. It's all a bunch of swooning over the main character for the near entirety of it, the guy being completely abusive to her (not directly, but like... he's very stalkerish, and I can't believe some women think that shit is romantic at all), the girl wanting her blood to be sucked, the guy who runs around shirtless all day trying to get into the girl's pants in the second film (and her not giving him the time of day even though he's so much better in terms of a healthy relationship), etc.

Just fucking awful.

I also know a heck of a lot about the two books which were originally Twilight fanfiction but got published as something else (Fifty Shades and Gabriel's Inferno (which should be getting big sometime soon if the author plays their cards right)). I've only read the first books in those series though and they were so horribly written, it's ridiculous.

Why are these books so damn popular?

I recall my mother trying to explain to me just what the hell the series was about. The stuff about wars between werewolves and vampires actually sounded pretty cool. Only problem is, all that stuff is secondary to a love story that, from most accounts I've heard, is about as well-done as Sonic 2K6's - and even if it wasn't, I doubt I'd have enough interest in it to check it out.

Schala secretly loves Twilight.

should just change your name to Twilight Schala.
People might mix her up with a purple unicorn, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom