• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Before Green Day became what they are now? :p

Gabriel's Inferno (and Gabriel's Rapture) is about a graduate student named Bella Julia Mitchell who falls for her professor named Edward Gabriel Emerson and she needs to save him from himself. It takes place at my undergraduate institution, so... back when I was about to graduate last year, a lot of girls were really into it (heck, I could tell you the building where most of the lead character's lectures probably took place in because I've had a few classes in and around there for when I took Medieval Latin / Classical Latin). It's not necessarily as bad as Twilight or 50 Shades, but it's not very good either. You'll get more out of it if you've read The Divine Comedy, though. Because there are a lot of references to it (especially with the professor calling the girl his "Beatrice"). But... uh, it's kinda like 50 Shades in that the subject matter is similar.

Schala secretly loves Twilight.

should just change your name to Twilight Schala.
No... (>;__;)>

I recall my mother trying to explain to me just what the hell the series was about. The stuff about wars between werewolves and vampires actually sounded pretty cool. Only problem is, all that stuff is secondary to a love story that, from most accounts I've heard, is about as well-done as Sonic 2K6's - and even if it wasn't, I doubt I'd have enough interest in it to check it out.
Spoiler: the war between the werewolves and vampires doesn't happen. Just a little scuffle in the middle of an empty field because reasons. The thing about these books is that nothing ever happens. It's so plain and boring, omg. You have this artificial high school drama bs, then you have the girl's entire life revolving around some abusive guy, and then they get happily married? And no one for one second stops to say that she's extremely selfish, or that this relationship is incredibly unhealthy for her (outside of the one guy who walks around with his shirt off all day)? And people like this?

The prose is bad, and I can't believe the author was allowed to submit that, and I can't believe an editor didn't comb through it enough to say that the writing is genuinely not good.

Heck, I was really really into DragonLance when I was younger and into my teens, and sometimes not a lot of interesting stuff happens in those books depending on which chronicle you're reading, but at least they're far more engaging than this... nonsense.

Talk like this is going to change the way I read her posts, especially the longer ones and the passive cursing.
Lets just save this all with Twilight Princess, there we go.
That name's already taken. :lol

What do you mean, passive cursing? I'm an innocent person. >.>

Talk like this is going to change the way I read her posts, especially the longer ones and the passive cursing.
I hadn't considered reading her posts in Tara Strong's voice, but hell, it's mildly amusing if you try.

Almost as bad as reading everyone else's voice as Morgan Freeman's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Funny you should say that because when I was much younger, my bf used to say that I reminded him the most of Rikku from FFX's cast who was voiced by the same person. :lol

Enough tangents!

What's a good game, SonicGAF? (Now that I think about it, I'm disappointed that the Colours boxart didn't have its own special art like the Rush games did.) Ivy the Kiwi? is included because Yuji Naka's behind it. I do have the Wii version because I found it for $5 somewhere.

eZUzQ.jpg

BlackJace

Funny you should say that because when I was much younger, my bf used to say that I reminded him the most of Rikku from FFX's cast who was voiced by the same person. :lol

Enough tangents!

What's a good game, SonicGAF? (Now that I think about it, I'm disappointed that the Colours boxart didn't have its own special art like the Rush games did.) Ivy the Kiwi? is included because Yuji Naka's behind it. I do have the Wii version because I found it for $5 somewhere.

eZUzQ.jpg

Are you asking us which ones to play? If so, Rush is soooooo good. Lots of pits though. And the bosses get repetitive.
And you cant go wrong with Colors DS, either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, out of the four in your opinion.

I've played the Sonic games before, but I haven't replayed Rush in a while. I haven't really touched Ivy the Kiwi?.

Gravijah

most people who complain about Sonic's friends are just regurgitating a meme and not actually looking at the few new characters who are good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm kinda surprised that it seems like no one's played Ivy the Kiwi, tbh. I thought a part of SonicGAF would be on top of it considering Prope's behind it and it's a platformer. Ah well, it doesn't hurt to experiment. I've had it for a while, and I wanted to see what people thought of it. And the OT for it is tiny.

I think I like Blaze a lot because she isn't irritating, and, well, to be honest, she kinda plays like Sonic in some ways. It's true that she was originally supposed to fill Shadow's spot in Sonic Adventure, right?

Probably going to replay Rush, then. Thanks guys!

most people who complain about Sonic's friends are just regurgitating a meme and not actually looking at the few new characters who are good.
Most people who complain about Sonic in general are just regurgitating a meme and not looking at the strides the series has tried to make since the games that weren't very good.

Green Scar said:
Oh no, I meant very specifically a modern day Green Day song. Although I did check and yeah, they did one called Christian's Inferno. Close!
Man, it's been a while since I've listened to them. It isn't really because their style feels like it's changed, but more like I haven't listened to the radio in the longest time.

BlackJace

I'm kinda surprised that it seems like no one's played Ivy the Kiwi, tbh. I thought a part of SonicGAF would be on top of it considering Prope's behind it and it's a platformer. Ah well, it doesn't hurt to experiment. I've had it for a while, and I wanted to see what people thought of it. And the OT for it is tiny.

I think I like Blaze a lot because she isn't irritating, and, well, to be honest, she kinda plays like Sonic in some ways. It's true that she was originally supposed to fill Shadow's spot in Sonic Adventure, right?

Probably going to replay Rush, then. Thanks guys!

Most people who complain about Sonic in general are just regurgitating a meme and not looking at the strides the series has tried to make since the games that weren't very good.

Man, it's been a while since I've listened to them. It isn't really because their style feels like it's changed, but more like I haven't listened to the radio in the longest time.

Woah seriously?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Woah seriously?
I'd read it on SonicWrecks somewhere. After some digging, I found this explanation on Retro. So apparently true?

you're a good person. i no longer hate you over your pink DSi XL.
You shouldn't be jealous of someone with a pink DSi. Disappointed. D:

I want a pink 3DS XL or a lavender one. :3

I always wondered whether or not to give Ivy the Kiwi a shake, I don't know which version of the game is supposed to be better.
This is my problem. I have both versions but I'm unsure of which one was the lead platform. Maybe Wii? I would imagine that the game would work better on its lead platform. There aren't a lot of opinions about the game in general, though, so I'm not sure what to think of it outside of "hey, prope did this it should be fun i guess but it's on two systems and i don't know which one i should get".

Stump's impressions aren't bad.

I want a pink 3DS XL or a lavender one. :3

This is my problem. I have both versions but I'm unsure of which one was the lead platform. Maybe Wii? I would imagine that the game would work better on its lead platform. There aren't a lot of opinions about the game in general, though, so I'm not sure what to think of it outside of "hey, prope did this it should be fun i guess but it's on two systems and i don't know which one i should get".

Stump's impressions aren't bad.

Orange 3DS all the way, I will never get over the lack of an Orange Gamecube over here, but at least when my original N64 gave up the ghost last year I replaced it with an Orange one.
Lime Green or a spiffy limited edition are also acceptable.

I think the wii game was perhaps supposed to be a bit better, Stumps impressions only serve to confuse me further but he assures us it's positive so...
Well if you do play a Sonic game, play Rush.

I've never heard this about Blaze.

Also, calling Ivy the Kiwi? a platformer is being a bit generous... it seemed more like an action puzzle game to me, and I know those tend to get kinda grating after a while and then I don't feel inclined to finish them.

And I'm holding out for a green 3DS XL before upgrading. I mean, green DSis (or XLs? I forget) happened for Christmas this one time!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I hadn't heard of it before until I did some reading around a few weeks ago. I'd dismissed it as some sort of fan theory until I read the Sonic Retro post. I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else knew anything about it.

As for Ivy... well, the first thing I thought of when I looked at it was Kirby: Canvas Curse for some reason so I figured that it was primarily a platformer.

And no one here seems to like Rush Adventures. :lol

mine is... it's...

it's bronzeeee. whyyyyyy?
Because they'd originally figured that the main audience for DSi XLs were older folks who wouldn't want the crazy outlandish young whippersnapper colours? :p

(Thanks.) That thing goes as fast as Sonic sometimes. And that's the DS version too. Probably might play it in a few weeks, then. The Wii version and DS versions just differ in terms of control.

Orange 3DS all the way, I will never get over the lack of an Orange Gamecube over here, but at least when my original N64 gave up the ghost last year I replaced it with an Orange one.
Lime Green or a spiffy limited edition are also acceptable.
I miss when Nintendo used to make systems with transparent plastic. I love that stuff. If they put the transparent plastic one out on the market, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The transparent plastic N64s were amazingly pretty depending on the colour.

qq more

Doesn't help that the majority of them are really shit and reoccur in many games.

I don't mind Blaze though. Decent character.

Gravijah

Because they'd originally figured that the main audience for DSi XLs were older folks who wouldn't want the crazy outlandish young whippersnapper colours? :p

the true answer is because i found one for Craigslist for 70 bucks, back when they still went for 160 or so.

and then they started getting clearanced to 99 and under.

Emitan

I miss when Nintendo used to make systems with transparent plastic. I love that stuff. If they put the transparent plastic one out on the market, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The transparent plastic N64s were amazingly pretty depending on the colour.

Purple GBC and Artic GBA~

FUCK YOU DS

My first GBA was transparent pink, they told me I was getting Red, it actually looked pretty nice.
Transparent purple for the GBC as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ice Blue GBP
Lime Green GBC
Glacier GBA

My first GBA was transparent pink, they told me I was getting Red, it actually looked pretty nice.
Transparent purple for the GBC as well.

Target actually had their own Gameboy Advance. It was ketchup red. (that's what I call it)

qq more

Enough tangents!

eZUzQ.jpg

Sonic Rush - Better than Advance 2 but that isn't saying much. Not a very good game.
Sonic Rush Adventure - I'd find it better than Rush if it weren't for the stupid padding shit. Not to mention the bosses takes too many damn hits.
Sonic Colors - I find this surprisingly enjoyable. The Wisp Powers add a lot to the fun. I recommend it.
Ivy The Kiwi? - Never played.

Gravijah

Lime Green GBC
Cobalt GBA

didn't have my own GBA, but i did use my brothers. he had uhm... the darker launch purple colory thing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had the Glacier GBA and the Atomic Purple GBC. I was so happy with them, and I kept looking at the insides and trying to label everything in there in my head. Edit: Those things were so darn sturdy too. I can't tell you how many times I dropped my GBC when I was younger, but it still plays nicely up to today.

Waited until DS Lite to get a DS because I was waiting and waiting and waiting for Nintendo to get their act together and release a transparent one. It never came. T__T

qq more said:
Sonic Rush Adventure - I'd find it better than Rush if it weren't for the stupid padding shit. Not to mention the bosses takes too many damn hits.
I find that the level design in Rush Adventure is better than Rush's in general; it's primarily for that reason why I'd give better preference to it, despite Rush itself having better presentation.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Metallic Rose DSi XL is lovely, and looks a lot better in person in comparison to the box. Although the Hot Pink DSi is still my favorite color for a handheld I've seen so far.

Had a Violet GBC that broke and (still) have a Turquoise GBC. Battery cover is long gone, the lower battery spring is a bit loose and the speakers are broken, but it still works to this day. What a trooper.

As for GBA, well... I had a Glacier GBA that got stolen in school, a Platinum one that I lost, an Indigo one that I sold, an SP that I (thankfully) still have, and a Mother 3 themed Micro.

...Yeah, I had have bad luck with Nintendo handhelds. >_> (My Game Gear is still in working order, though!)

Clear Purple GBA
Black SP
Blue DS
Red DSL
Black Lite
Black 3DS

Mm, dark colors. Though I'll take other colors if I have to.

As for handheld Sonics, the only ones I finished were Advance 2/3, and Sonic Rush. And I liked 'em all :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's just AAUK's completely unfounded speculation. If I start seeing it pop up around the internet, I'm going to cry.
It's been popping up around the Internet and that's why I asked. I thought it was absolute nonsense.

Seven Force said:
Battery cover is long gone, the lower battery spring is a bit loose and the speakers are broken, but it still works to this day. What a trooper.

As for GBA, well... I had a Glacier GBA that got stolen in school, a Platinum one that I lost, an Indigo one that I sold, an SP that I (thankfully) still have, and a Mother 3 themed Micro.
What in the world are you doing with your handhelds? D:

My GBC cover's about to come clear off too, lol. I don't think my Game Gear will ever break. It's a giant hunk of plastic, after all, and was definitely not portable in the slightest.

What in the world are you doing with your handhelds? D:

I dunno! My first GBC breaking was carelessness, but everything else just seemed like bad luck. (I haven't even talked about being on my third DS model!)

Thankfully, my two 3DS models are faring better. Been taking extra precautions with my import Ice White in particular.

Well, out of the four in your opinion.

I've played the Sonic games before, but I haven't replayed Rush in a while. I haven't really touched Ivy the Kiwi?.

Rush Adventure > Rush > Colours DS

Rush Adventure has better stage design than the original and the vehicle minigames aren't really terribad (in fact, some of them are kinda fun). Colours DS isn't bad, just kinda underwhelming.

Really not sure where I'd slot Ivy amongst them. Maybe between Rush and Colours? Or between the two Rush games? I dunno. It's pretty fun and has great presentation (well, the Wii version does, I assume DS would be largely the same).

Enough tangents!

eZUzQ.jpg

I would say Colors is probably the best of the Rush type games due to some refinements made after the previous games(though I felt that it fell to same cliches/staples that have become notorious in the past years and by this point Dimps was feeling cookie cutter-ish with their level designs), if it wasn't for some of the Jetski portions (among other nitpicks) I would have probably placed Rush Adventure at the top. Despite being ranked 3rd, the original Rush is still a good game that I'd recommend if not at least for the soundtrack.

Ivy the Kiwi, I played for a bit, though I never continued...it might been because at the time my phat DS wasn't being accurate and I couldn't calibrate anymore. After getting a lite I think I moved on to another game.

I did not like Ivy the Kiwi at all. I think there was a period of time where Tristan and I agreed to review the DS and Wii versions respectively for TSSZ and neither of us did.

The art is all so boring and simple. Though backdrops supposedly change, they never change enough, and levels continue to be made out of the same five or six tiles forever. The game mechanics are super weird and kind of tough to use, too.

It's a nice idea, but it just further proves to me that Sonic Team was just that - a team. They completed each other. When all of the key Sonic Team members are left to their own devices, the holes in their skillset becomes pretty obvious, I think. The only member of Sonic Team that has noticeably remained successful is Hirokazu Yasuhara; Ohshima and Naka seem to be struggling on their own.

Rlan

dumbstuff.jpg

I bought some dumb stuff today. Dumb because I actually own most of them on Xbox 360. I used to collect each version of old Sonic Team stuff but haven't in a while. Big W was selling all of these for $10 each!

They had Yakuza 4 as well for $10, and that's way worth the money, but I knew I'd just never end up playing it.

As for the Sonic DS games, I still prefer Sonic Rush 1 the most. The music is stellar, I love the trick system in it, and most of the levels are awesome outside of a couple of douchey moments (End of the Carnival level).

Also one of my favourite levels ever, Dead Line Zone, is in there. Some of my favourite level gimmicks ever with the Gravity Swing and Spinning Cannon. THIS IS WHAT U NEED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom