• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
97ZHN.png
D9ESu.png

Well, Golbez did summon "Shadow".

I shall confess that I'm just trying to get through the game for the sake of getting through the game in this thread cuz I feel comfortable about saying that in here. We hit the point where I begin to absolutely despise Final Fantasy IV a few updates ago. In a way, I'm glad I'm not playing the Advance version because that means I'd have to do the postgame dungeon when I just don't want to play the game anymore.

I did not like Ivy the Kiwi at all. I think there was a period of time where Tristan and I agreed to review the DS and Wii versions respectively for TSSZ and neither of us did.

The art is all so boring and simple. Though backdrops supposedly change, they never change enough, and levels continue to be made out of the same five or six tiles forever. The game mechanics are super weird and kind of tough to use, too.

It's a nice idea, but it just further proves to me that Sonic Team was just that - a team. They completed each other. When all of the key Sonic Team members are left to their own devices, the holes in their skillset becomes pretty obvious, I think. The only member of Sonic Team that has noticeably remained successful is Hirokazu Yasuhara; Ohshima and Naka seem to be struggling on their own.
Isn't it like Canvas Curse, though? that's the impression I got from it. But I agree -- there isn't a lot of variation in terms of differentiating the levels with regards to artstyles. It's just a shame when you have the vibrancy of Sonic the Hedgehog from the other guys on the original Sonic Team and the you have the plain-looking levels from Ivy the Kiwi.

What has Oshima been doing since he started up Arzest, anyway?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even with SonicGAF's general dislike or indifference or "meh, it's ok" attitude towards Sonic Chronicles, it certainly isn't the worst RPG I've played.

Kokonoe

Banned
I never really thought about it, but Chronicles actually is the worst RPG I've ever played. I haven't played a ton of RPGs, though.

qq more

...I like Tales of the Abyss.

Well I did, but I'm near the end of the game and I'm like :\

The game is honestly a rollercoaster with the writing and story. It starts off eh, then becomes actually really interesting and then it takes a nosedive real fast. What a shame.

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't play FFIV, but I did play an online fan version which is suppose to be the same game just without a story and you only control one class of your choice and must party with others to actually have multiple people. From what I've seen of the world, bosses, and music, I'd say there's a good chance I'd like the game if I played it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like Tales of the Abyss much at all. I like the theme, but I don't like the story, nor do I like the character interactions at all. I don't like the battle system at all, as its sole introduction was Free Run (and I don't like Free Run). Even though Rebirth's story is a complete disaster, at least the character interactions aren't bad, and the battle system is awesome.

Though, again, I don't play Tales games for the story at all. I play them for the battle systems/ability systems and that's it. That's why I never know how to answer questions like "is this Tales better than this Tales" because I know a lot of people play Tales games for far different reasons than I do.

As for bad RPGs...

FISGD.png
hup0g.png

Beyond the Beyond doesn't think girls are allowed to fight in battles! And Secret of the Stars is just BadBadBadBadBadBad.

I've posted that Hoshi wo Miru Hito video a lot in this thread. Ephemeral Fantasia qualifies. Astonishia Story qualifies... A lot more than I'm thinking of right now...

That's kinda why I don't think Sonic Chronicles is that terrible outside of the horrendous presentation and the like/dislike battle system.

qq more

The one thing I hate about FFV is that the bosses are extremely frustrating. They attack you WHILE you're selecting your attacks. Let me take my time and think :( Are all of the SNES FF games like this?

Sciz

The one thing I hate about FFV is that the bosses are extremely frustrating. They attack you WHILE you're selecting your attacks. Let me take my time and think :( Are all of the SNES FF games like this?

That's the Active Time Battle system in action. IIRC you can turn it off in the options.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Select Wait in the Config instead of Active.

Oh my god, this made me laugh waaaay too hard.
You find him in the BadBad-House. He kidnaps children and he has access to a Dog Pill which we need because some townspeople were turned into dogs.

Secret of the Stars is among the worst...

qq more

Oh I did but I remember during a boss fight, it attacked twice. Idk, maybe I was just imagining it. It's pretty nerve wrecking though. (Although, not saying much but I was just playing multiplayer with a friend. He double checked that option, so I'm sure Config was selected)

Maybe I just don't understand the game very well seeing as it is my first FF. I like the boss theme by the way.

Emitan

Oh I did but I remember during a boss fight, it attacked twice. Idk, maybe I was just imagining it. It's pretty nerve wrecking though. (Although, not saying much but I was just playing multiplayer with a friend. He double checked that option, so I'm sure Config was selected)

Maybe I just don't understand the game very well seeing as it is my first FF.

Queued up actions will still play out.

qq more

Queued up actions will still play out.

I guess that's what caused the confusion. Not a fan of that because then I suddenly have to change my plans whenever something bad happens! On the bright side, the Monk class is pretty awesome because of their counter attacks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Chronicles had some good intentions behind it (and you can tell this from the writing), but the overall product just ended up being incredibly average, and the presentation (especially wrt audio) ended up being quite sub-par.

If Sega let AlphaDream or their VC team do a Sonic RPG that would be cool.

My first FF was FFX

*runs from thread*
A lot of people's were. You're not alone, lol.

qq more

Sonic Chronicles had some good intentions behind it (and you can tell this from the writing), but the overall product just ended up being incredibly average, and the presentation (especially wrt audio) ended up being quite sub-par.

The audio was so bad, even with the music aside. What were they thinking?

Beyond the Beyond doesn't think girls are allowed to fight in battles! And Secret of the Stars is just BadBadBadBadBadBad.

I've posted that Hoshi wo Miru Hito video a lot in this thread. Ephemeral Fantasia qualifies. Astonishia Story qualifies... A lot more than I'm thinking of right now...

That's kinda why I don't think Sonic Chronicles is that terrible outside of the horrendous presentation and the like/dislike battle system.

Yeah well I gave up at Sands of Destruction when I encountered a boss battle where the boss spent 75% of his turns buffing his attack and increasing his speed.

Which meant he got more turns to spend buffing his attack and increasing his speed.

This continued until he was fast enough to get 5+ turns in a row and was hitting a single character for more HP than the entire party had combined. When the boss battle directly previous was doing maybe 5-10hp of damage per hit when my characters all had 200hp+. And now this guy was doing 700-800+.

Apparently the Japanese version was known for being moderately difficult so when it was localized in to English they made it overbearingly easy except I guess they triggered either a bug with this one boss encounter or they forgot to fix his script so he didn't do this anymore

For a game to go from put-me-to-sleep-easy to basically impossible in the span of about an hour was too much to take, though for the sake of the review I wrote I pushed on through to the next two bosses and they went back to being insultingly weak.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: While we're on the subject, Sega's done a pretty good job with RPGs this gen, but the problem is that they haven't localized some of them...

Yeah well I gave up at Sands of Destruction when I encountered a boss battle where the boss spent 75% of his turns buffing his attack and increasing his speed.

Which meant he got more turns to spend buffing his attack and increasing his speed.

This continued until he was fast enough to get 5+ turns in a row and was hitting a single character for more HP than the entire party had combined. When the boss battle directly previous was doing maybe 5-10hp of damage per hit when my characters all had 200hp+. And now this guy was doing 700-800+.
Which boss was that?
Aquila Rex
? I remember that one having Godspeed.

A lot of SoD's stuff was interesting (ex: flurries are fast and hit multiple times, and blow attacks generally only hit once, are kinda like SH:C's way of knocking into the air, or stunning or whatever), but the balancing and combat in the English version was borked. I haven't played the Japanese version at all, so I'm not sure about the balancing in that one outside of learning that it was harder (and the Japanese version was apparently more fun). But when you get around level 20, you can link your flurry attacks much better. Customization and stuff really goes a long way in this game. Battle system is fine, but the programming behind the numbers and stuff is kinda weird in this version.

imageepoch can sometimes churn out something good and sometimes they can churn out something bad. I'd put SoD in the middle, but I've only played the English version which wasn't very good in terms of balancing. I suppose I might think more highly of the game if I'd played the Japanese version.

My favourite imageepoch games are Arc Rise Fantasia, Last Ranker, and 7th Dragon, tbh.

I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles far more than I have ever enjoyed FF4.
I don't think I ever want to play FF4 ever again after this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno, I'd have to agree. I'd sooner play Sonic Chronicles again over FF4.
KuGsj.gif

To be honest, I feel like my LTTP post for Sonic Chronicles was probably too positive. Outside of the music, I didn't really discuss the battle system or the chase system much in-depth. But Sonic Chronicles doesn't really give you a chance to delve into the stats of your party members much outside of "who's the best at this". A lot of the times when you're going to be using people who you don't normally use is going to be on the field.

So in battles, you're typically going to get Sonic, Cream (heal), Shadow, Omega/[spoiler character]/Knuckles in a party. You could add Big in there in terms of support. But it's just interesting that Tails and Amy don't seem as useful as the other guys on the team (especially given that I'd expect most players to use them in battle).

Unity Attacks in this game were a plus, though. I love Suikoden so you know I'm going to loooove unity attacks.

qq more

...Wait, so is FF4 a bad game? I was always under the impression that it was a decent game for some reason. First time I'm hearing of this hate.

Kokonoe

Banned
I heard the story was good. Guess it's mixed.

Without even playing it, I know it's Final Fantasy and the combat system is going to be 1,000x better than Chronicles.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...Wait, so is FF4 a bad game? I was always under the impression that it was a decent game for some reason. First time I'm hearing of this hate.
My opinion about it is anomalous in general, tbh. It's quite beloved for many people. It often gets credited with introducing a deeper story in RPGs, but in reality Phantasy Star II & Final Fantasy II did that first. FF4 just had more exposure and was more welcoming to newcomers to the genre than PS2 was.

You should just play it yourself to see if it works out for you or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, yeah... not to mention that sacrifice in FF4 means nothing.

At least PS2 and FF2 made character sacrifice legitimate.

Sega should just make an offline Phantasy Star to appease me now.

My opinion about it is anomalous in general, tbh. It's quite beloved for many people. It often gets credited with introducing a deeper story in RPGs, but in reality Phantasy Star II & Final Fantasy II did that first. FF4 just had more exposure and was more welcoming to newcomers to the genre than PS2 was.

You should just play it yourself to see if it works out for you or not.

Anomalous huh?
*checks dictionary*
Oh yeah, inconsistent? that sounds about right from what little I played, something about it just feels off to me.
Still it only cost me £5 so it was no big loss, don't think i'll be finishing it any time soon though, at least it has an awesome battle theme.

Sonic Chronicles wins again!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...I've played FF4 so much that I can't stand the battle theme at all. >.>

To be honest, FF4's soundtrack is on the lower end of the spectrum for me. You could always follow my playthrough anyway, just to get the story out of it. I'm including most of the dialogue anyway. I'm trying to work on getting the one little bit where they accidentally left Japanese text in the FF4 SNES version because it ended up coming up in the Community Thread.

Anyway, I guess all of these tangents mean that we really really need a Sonic game. :lol

I wonder what Sega's gonna do when they run out of titles to re-release whenever there's a Sonic game drought?

Next gen consoles means next gen ports of the Mega Drive Sonic games.
Unfortunately, this is entirely true.

Maybe they can work to emulate some of the later consoles and such. I'd much rather see the Saturn version of Sonic 3D get whored out than the Genesis version - better graphics and soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom