• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I know I'll have plenty to discuss when Sonic Kart comes out.

Adventure 2 HD and NiGHTS HD is dated for PSN on October 2nd, and 360 on October 5th. So excited.

I know at least one guy constantly bitching about how the Battle segment is being sold as a separate $3 DLC, actually.

Personally, though, I never really had anyone to play MP with anyway, so why would I need to buy it in the first place? IIRC the port doesn't have online anyway (unless it suddenly does, now).

Kokonoe

Banned
It doesn't seem like it at first, but I've seen simple Sonic races and mech fights somehow turn into heated competition before. There really isn't any reason to own it though if you have no one to play it with, but it's a nice little distraction from the main game.
I'd honestly rather have the ability to VS CPU in the mode.

*edit*

Apparently the DLC contains Chao Karate therefore I must purchase it the second it comes out.

...I've played FF4 so much that I can't stand the battle theme at all. >.>

To be honest, FF4's soundtrack is on the lower end of the spectrum for me. You could always follow my playthrough anyway, just to get the story out of it. I'm including most of the dialogue anyway. I'm trying to work on getting the one little bit where they accidentally left Japanese text in the FF4 SNES version because it ended up coming up in the Community Thread.

Anyway, I guess all of these tangents mean that we really really need a Sonic game. :lol

I wonder what Sega's gonna do when they run out of titles to re-release whenever there's a Sonic game drought?

On a random side note, despite FF6 having a pretty godly soundtrack I have to say that the standard battle theme was oddly underwhelming, this is forgiven if favour of the vast majority of that soundtrack however.
The FF GAF plays thread became a tad problematic when so many of you suddenly had your updates at the same time, bah gawd I was buried with images.

Sega will release a reasonably priced Sonic Ultimate Game Gear collection volume 1 on 3DS/Vita containing Sonic Blast, Labyrinth, the impossible opening boss (aka: Sonic 2) and Tails sky patrol.
Due to a lack of sales the follow up to this containing Tails Adventure, Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble and Sonic 1 GG will never see the light of day.

Now as for these HD re-releases, never played Nights or JSR, i'm intrigued by both though, will likely dive in.

OMG Aero

I know at least one guy constantly bitching about how the Battle segment is being sold as a separate $3 DLC, actually.
Regardless of the price, it's incredibly shitty that Sega are taking minor things out of the games then charging separately for them. Just like with mission mode and Metal Sonic for the SA1 port.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Adventure 2 HD and NiGHTS HD is dated for PSN on October 2nd, and 360 on October 5th. So excited.
I'm gonna get both of them too. I can't wait, but I think it's bs that they're leaving the Battle stuff to DLC. Silly Sega. DLC is for Capcpom.

And I finally put a preorder down on ASR: Transformed. I don't know if I should get the Vita version though. I haven't seen any videos of it at all.

On a random side note, despite FF6 having a pretty godly soundtrack I have to say that the standard battle theme was oddly underwhelming, this is forgiven if favour of the vast majority of that soundtrack however.
The FF GAF plays thread became a tad problematic when so many of you suddenly had your updates at the same time, bah gawd I was buried with images.
Sorry! I usually try to space mine out but my last two updates were pretty big because I felt like I shouldn't leave some stuff out, plus I hadn't updated in days. I've tried to make my updates more focused on text lately, though. If you look at my Final Fantasy Mystic Quest ones, I only started doing more text stuff in the last few entries because I'd never done a text/screenshot thing before and it really shows in the first MQ entries.

There aren't a lot of standard battle themes in the series that I like, tbh. Again, it's a bit of a rare opinion.
"Do you even like anything at all, Schala?"

Sega will release a reasonably priced Sonic Ultimate Game Gear collection volume 1 on 3DS/Vita containing Sonic Blast, Labyrinth, the impossible opening boss (aka: Sonic 2) and Tails sky patrol.
Due to a lack of sales the follow up to this containing Tails Adventure, Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble and Sonic 1 GG will never see the light of day.
I want an Ultimate Game Gear collection for Vita/3DS, tbh. I don't see why they didn't do it in addition to the Genesis/Mega Drive one. Heck, I'd love a Vita/3DS Genesis Collection equivalent to the PS3/360 ones. I don't think the Sega Genesis Collection is on the Vita store at all, so you can't get some of the Genesis games on there.

I guess I just have to wait a couple of years...?

An Ultimate Game Gear collection would be nice, although I kind of doubt it'd see a release on 3DS if it came to be a reality. I imagine they wouldn't want to undercut their Virtual Console sales.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
An Ultimate Game Gear collection would be nice, although I kind of doubt it'd see a release on 3DS if it came to be a reality. I imagine they wouldn't want to undercut their Virtual Console sales.
You might be right. The Wii never got its own collection outside of random stuff on VC, did it?

They have a few Genesis games on PSN/XBLA and that didn't stop them from releasing the Ultimate Genesis Collection on both platforms, but they didn't release everything on DD stuff that was on the disc.

I'm a little surprised they didn't end up putting the latest version of Sonic CD on everything including Wii/3DS/Vita, to be honest with you. Those colours would pop on both portables, I feel.

Rlan

Made these ages ago as what I want to see:

sonic8bitcollection.png
sonicside.png

We know that the next SEGA Pack is a Toe Jam & Earl collection.

That 3D Blast model is so bad.

Just like the game itself, hohohohoho!

So did anyone actually notice I deliberately made the first GG collection full of naff games that no one would want and the second with the actual liked games? because I totally did, gotta throw that salt into the wound for when the planned superior sequel never happens.

Which boss was that?
Aquila Rex
? I remember that one having Godspeed.

A lot of SoD's stuff was interesting (ex: flurries are fast and hit multiple times, and blow attacks generally only hit once, are kinda like SH:C's way of knocking into the air, or stunning or whatever), but the balancing and combat in the English version was borked. I haven't played the Japanese version at all, so I'm not sure about the balancing in that one outside of learning that it was harder (and the Japanese version was apparently more fun). But when you get around level 20, you can link your flurry attacks much better. Customization and stuff really goes a long way in this game. Battle system is fine, but the programming behind the numbers and stuff is kinda weird in this version.

imageepoch can sometimes churn out something good and sometimes they can churn out something bad. I'd put SoD in the middle, but I've only played the English version which wasn't very good in terms of balancing. I suppose I might think more highly of the game if I'd played the Japanese version.

My favourite imageepoch games are Arc Rise Fantasia, Last Ranker, and 7th Dragon, tbh.

I don't remember the boss's name; it was the wolf dude.

To be honest, you are the first person I've ever seen say anything good about imageepoch. After venting my frustrations with Sands of Destruction to others, they basically went "Well yeah, imageepoch has made some of the worst RPGs of this generation."

In particular, I know a guy who was doing an Arc Rise Fantasia LP in a "Look at how awful this shit is" sort of context and quit because even he couldn't tolerate it anymore. At least the voice acting was comical.

I gritted my teeth and gave Sands 7 hours of my life and said, "You know what? Even if the game suddenly gets amazing, this has been 7 hours of suffering. It's not worth it anymore." (and while we're at it, man, reading older reviews I've written sure can be painful)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Would you prefer the Megadrive version?
Nightmare fuel.

What makes Super Columns more super/ultimate than regular Columns?
Super Columns lets you turn the lines of blocks, and introduced a bunch of other blocks that allow for better combos (ex: lanterns allow for all gems along the same line or intersection to be cleared; reversal columns let the grid to be flipped upside down for some combos and reactions). However, with that said, I think I like the original Columns a little more in terms of presentation. They also added a story mode, where you and your enemy can unleash use some skills (kind of like Tetris Battle Gaiden).

I don't remember the boss's name; it was the wolf dude.

To be honest, you are the first person I've ever seen say anything good about imageepoch. After venting my frustrations with Sands of Destruction to others, they basically went "Well yeah, imageepoch has made some of the worst RPGs of this generation."

In particular, I know a guy who was doing an Arc Rise Fantasia LP in a "Look at how awful this shit is" sort of context and quit because even he couldn't tolerate it anymore. At least the voice acting was comical.

I gritted my teeth and gave Sands 7 hours of my life and said, "You know what? Even if the game suddenly gets amazing, this has been 7 hours of suffering. It's not worth it anymore." (and while we're at it, man, reading older reviews I've written sure can be painful)
Lupus Rex? Levels should be higher than 20. Rely on chained flurries. Flurries are your best friend. Equip orange amulets on everyone because you must be able to guard against Stun attacks otherwise he'll overwhelm your party. If you're having issues, use potions to boost your SPD/DEF.

Haha, I'm not the only one who compliments IE... they just make some good games at times. It's just now they seem to be churning out mediocre stuff and poor stuff lately. And their spiel about about being the Saviour of JRPGs is completely laughable because they aren't even close to being anything of the sort. Two of the games I mentioned were Japan-only as well. Last Ranker is very good and it's a shame Capcom didn't release it here, and 7th Dragon is incredibly decent EO-like game, but Sega had no plans to publish it here.

If anything, it's Idea Factory that's the company that I have major issues with. The only two games I've played from them that I liked a lot were Neptunia mk2 (even with its horrendous subject matter) and Hakuoki (which is the type of game that they should honestly stick to). Like, generally, a lot of the games NISA publishes, I don't really get along with because I generally find them boring.

Arc Rise Fantasia just gets a really bad reputation because the localization is sub-par, the voice acting is bad, and they left a few things in there untranslated (ex: enemy attack names). The rest of the game (music, ability system and battle system) is fine, as I've expressed in that post I linked. I thought it was incredibly fun, and the balancing was fine because you had to use all of the skills and positioning at your disposal in order to get through bosses. After being displeased and put-off by RPGs because of a game which shall not be named but I think people can guess, playing Resonance of Fate, Infinite Space, Arc Rise Fantasia, and Tales of Graces f in 2010 ended up bringing me back into the genre.

Would you prefer the Megadrive version?

sonic3d.jpg
Hey, my copy of the PC version has that box art :D

It's up there with constipated Nike Sonic from Heroes for worst render ever. Why did they decide to use it so heavily in Sonic the Comic? Because it looked retarded.

And lets be honest -- The Sonic & Knuckles 3D art isn't that great either.

title.png
Lies, damn lies and statistics, I tell you. The pre-rendered Sonic in S&K looks swell. Hell, the one in Sonic 3 doesn't look that bad, either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's because it's really really shiny and kinda grainy, probably?

But it still looks better than that 3D Blast model! That model doesn't seem to have a soul.

Edit:

Sonic's so happy to be running away from lava!

tvAfs.jpg

Edit: While we're on the subject, Sega's done a pretty good job with RPGs this gen, but the problem is that they haven't localized some of them...

This seems to be a long standing issue with not just RPGs (see Sega Saturn), although I will agree...in fact, I should make the time to play the stuff that HAS made it over.

Which boss was that?
Aquila Rex
? I remember that one having Godspeed.

A lot of SoD's stuff was interesting (ex: flurries are fast and hit multiple times, and blow attacks generally only hit once, are kinda like SH:C's way of knocking into the air, or stunning or whatever), but the balancing and combat in the English version was borked. I haven't played the Japanese version at all, so I'm not sure about the balancing in that one outside of learning that it was harder (and the Japanese version was apparently more fun). But when you get around level 20, you can link your flurry attacks much better. Customization and stuff really goes a long way in this game. Battle system is fine, but the programming behind the numbers and stuff is kinda weird in this version.

imageepoch can sometimes churn out something good and sometimes they can churn out something bad. I'd put SoD in the middle, but I've only played the English version which wasn't very good in terms of balancing. I suppose I might think more highly of the game if I'd played the Japanese version.

While I haven't had a chance to actually play SoD (although I've heard of it's issues and watched some footage), I did recently watch the Anime brought over by Funi...I quite enjoyed it, the voice actors were a lot better than the game ones from what I've seen to compare. Also, I did like the main theme of the game.

I was actually considering buying it see for myself, but the impressions and footage had changed my mind...or at least wait until I can get it for cheap, besides (as I mentioned) I have other RPGs on my backlog that I need to play.

Rlan

Heeeey everybody!

So at work we do a thing each week for the game designers to get together and try to grow and become better at our job. Our thing this week is to make a super simple game in Flash and look at some stuff behind the scenes.

Another designer and I made this super quick game called Don't Touch The Level. It's short and rather challenging, and if you have time today I'd love for you guys to just quickly play through it. It's got zero art, it's a complete knockoff of another game and is super crap so whatever!

It's available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97686246/Dont_Touch_The_Level.swf

Please let me know if you finish it. We need to get 20 people to play it and you guys are probably the best to use as guinea pigs! Don't take this game as how awesome a designer I can be please :p

Heeeey everybody!

So at work we do a thing each week for the game designers to get together and try to grow and become better at our job. Our thing this week is to make a super simple game in Flash and look at some stuff behind the scenes.

Another designer and I made this super quick game called Don't Touch The Level. It's short and rather challenging, and if you have time today I'd love for you guys to just quickly play through it. It's got zero art, it's a complete knockoff of another game and is super crap so whatever!

It's available here:

Please let me know if you finish it. We need to get 20 people to play it and you guys are probably the best to use as guinea pigs! Don't take this game as how awesome a designer I can be please :p
So this is what I assume it's like to play Kuru Kuru Kururin, unfortunately I was failing so much on the last bit of stage 2 that I just rage quit.

I actually liked that game, would have been better if you got to save during it.
The PC version has this amenity.

Not the ones available on Steam and other DD services, mind; that's just a Genesis ROM in an emulator. No, I mean the actual PC port they did back in the mid-'90s, loosely based on the Saturn version (same soundtrack, same graphics for the most part, despite missing the fog effects and the background during the final fight, and a completely different special stage). It definitely saved what zone you were on; I forget if it saved what act you were on as well or not.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my fondness for the game, actually. If I got a Game Over during the game - and I certainly did in my first playthrough - I didn't have to start the entire damn game over, I could just pick up from the zone I was already in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Heeeey everybody!

It's available here:

oh my god

This is like the definition of gotta go fast sometimes. Like, I know how to get through the second level, but it's a matter of trying to make the block oriented in the proper manner while timing yourself just right and rushing through so that it doesn't rotate further than it should.

damn you green blocks I hate you >:|

This seems to be a long standing issue with not just RPGs (see Sega Saturn), although I will agree...in fact, I should make the time to play the stuff that HAS made it over.

While I haven't had a chance to actually play SoD (although I've heard of it's issues and watched some footage), I did recently watch the Anime brought over by Funi...I quite enjoyed it, the voice actors were a lot better than the game ones from what I've seen to compare. Also, I did like the main theme of the game.

I was actually considering buying it see for myself, but the impressions and footage had changed my mind...or at least wait until I can get it for cheap, besides (as I mentioned) I have other RPGs on my backlog that I need to play.
If only Sega America published some of the stuff Sega Japan did! :O

I didn't watch the SoD anime yet (like, if you probably asked him, kayos90 will tell you that I am really behind on my anime and I'm only playing catch up now), but the game's pretty anime. Like, the story's kind of like a turn your brain off and you'll like it sort of thing; it's pretty silly, so just take it at face value. I thought the idea was clever, and the voice actors in the Japanese version should be alright (Maaya Sakamoto (she's in everything), the guy who voiced Flynn Scifo in Japanese Vesperia, etc.). The music's composed by Mitsuda, but I think that was around the time when I didn't think his stuff was as good as before (his peak was certainly when he composed CC and Xenogears).

If you can get it for cheap, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. While I love reading other GAF members' impressions to get a good grasp on whether or not I'd like some stuff in a game, I'd rather play a game myself before I critique it.

Emitan

The PC version has this amenity.

Not the ones available on Steam and other DD services, mind; that's just a Genesis ROM in an emulator. No, I mean the actual PC port they did back in the mid-'90s, loosely based on the Saturn version (same soundtrack, same graphics for the most part, despite missing the fog effects and the background during the final fight, and a completely different special stage). It definitely saved what zone you were on; I forget if it saved what act you were on as well or not.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my fondness for the game, actually. If I got a Game Over during the game - and I certainly did in my first playthrough - I didn't have to start the entire damn game over, I could just pick up from the zone I was already in.

I lost my copy of the PC version :(

I have the box though!

I thought Sonic was just getting a one-off cameo and that this film was about original characters. Why is he front-and-center in a poster, with one of said original characters being put behind him as if to say "Yeah, she's not as pivotal to the story as this guy is"?

Also Zangief.

Also, his "skin" is just a single shade. His fur, on the other hand... looks almost like really smooth leather.

Also Eggman.

Also this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom