• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Heeeey everybody!

So at work we do a thing each week for the game designers to get together and try to grow and become better at our job. Our thing this week is to make a super simple game in Flash and look at some stuff behind the scenes.

Another designer and I made this super quick game called Don't Touch The Level. It's short and rather challenging, and if you have time today I'd love for you guys to just quickly play through it. It's got zero art, it's a complete knockoff of another game and is super crap so whatever!

It's available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97686246/Dont_Touch_The_Level.swf

Please let me know if you finish it. We need to get 20 people to play it and you guys are probably the best to use as guinea pigs! Don't take this game as how awesome a designer I can be please :p
YOU LIAR

Level 5 isn't any easier D:

Level 6 :c

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
About to ragequit on Level 4. omg.

I can only imagine what Lv 5 is like, then.

Azure Dream said:
I played to Level 4, almost finished it, but just don't have the patience to keep going. The resets are a bit jarring, since they're instant.
This. It's kinda making me a little dizzy.

Rlan

YOU LIAR

Level 5 isn't any easier D:

Level 6 :c

The intent is to see how you play and then reflect on it in our weekly designer meetup. particularly on difficulty. Turns out this might have been an outlet for the other designers as well as me to make something bullshit hard.

Also I made all the levels today and quickly, if we could do this better it'd be way more like Kuru. Only goal was to make a puzzle game with 7 levels and ramping difficulty -- I seem to have ramped it up too fast :p

If only Sega America published some of the stuff Sega Japan did! :O

I didn't watch the SoD anime yet (like, if you probably asked him, kayos90 will tell you that I am really behind on my anime and I'm only playing catch up now), but the game's pretty anime. Like, the story's kind of like a turn your brain off and you'll like it sort of thing; it's pretty silly, so just take it at face value. I thought the idea was clever, and the voice actors in the Japanese version should be alright (Maaya Sakamoto (she's in everything), the guy who voiced Flynn Scifo in Japanese Vesperia, etc.). The music's composed by Mitsuda, but I think that was around the time when I didn't think his stuff was as good as before (his peak was certainly when he composed CC and Xenogears).

If you can get it for cheap, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. While I love reading other GAF members' impressions to get a good grasp on whether or not I'd like some stuff in a game, I'd rather play a game myself before I critique it.

I think I'll take a look in to it sometime later this fall...what interests me in the Japanese version at least is the voice actor for Naja (mainly because it's Hiro Mizushima from Kamen Rider Kabuto) though for they swapped actors for the anime.

J82QM.png

I actually found Stage 6 fun! Stage 7, though... D:

TheOGB

Banned
The intent is to see how you play and then reflect on it in our weekly designer meetup. particularly on difficulty. Turns out this might have been an outlet for the other designers as well as me to make something bullshit hard.

Also I made all the levels today and quickly, if we could do this better it'd be way more like Kuru. Only goal was to make a puzzle game with 7 levels and ramping difficulty -- I seem to have ramped it up too fast :p
Well I found it fun, at least. :) No problems up until Level 4 3, but it felt alright at first.

Just remembered Level 3, but that was my own haste creating most of the problem there. Got through it second try this time. :p

Sonic's non-PSA cameo is discussed by one of Wreck-it-Ralph's producers:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/wreck-it-ralph-s-skrillex-cameo-revealed

We had a scene where we wanted the rings to come out of Sonic, and SEGA said the only way that happens is if he falls over, and we didn't have him fall over in the scene, so we actually went back and re-animated it.

They also mention they couldn't find a proper scene for Mario...which is odd considering that the director (Rich Moore) had already stated that Mario couldn't be used because of licensing fees.

Heeeey everybody!

So at work we do a thing each week for the game designers to get together and try to grow and become better at our job. Our thing this week is to make a super simple game in Flash and look at some stuff behind the scenes.

Another designer and I made this super quick game called Don't Touch The Level. It's short and rather challenging, and if you have time today I'd love for you guys to just quickly play through it. It's got zero art, it's a complete knockoff of another game and is super crap so whatever!

It's available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97686246/Dont_Touch_The_Level.swf

Please let me know if you finish it. We need to get 20 people to play it and you guys are probably the best to use as guinea pigs! Don't take this game as how awesome a designer I can be please :p
I got up to level 7 and gave up. The curves are okay for getting through, but trying to squeeze through that gap, while possible, is just too difficult for me to consistently pull off, let alone three times in a row (although I did it twice in a row a few times).

ShadiWulf

these characters will be prevalent in the next main Sonic game

mark my words
so I can be wrong

Episode III :p

Sonic the Hedgehog 5 Episode III

Ken's PR line:
This is truly Sonic the Hedgehog 5 as you imagined it. See how the Sonic the Hedgehog saga began!

Iizuka interview:
Q: Why Sonic the hedgehog 5 and why skipping right to episode 3?
Iizuka: The team wanted to show the fans the truth of how Sonic really came to be.

Q: Will the game play like the classic Sonic games?
Iizuka: We have included updated gameplay and physics that we think will make the fans happy.

Q: Did you get rid of the homing attack?
Iizuka: (laughter) No. The homing attack keeps speed going at a good pace to better momentumate the player

Clearly they are reintroducing the little animals in advance of their announcement of -cky: Turnabout is Fair Play, wherein you command a vast army of the critters to overthrow the tyrannical Dr. Eggman. RTS fun for the whole family!

qq more

Clearly they are reintroducing the little animals in advance of their announcement of -cky: Turnabout is Fair Play, wherein you command a vast army of the critters to overthrow the tyrannical Dr. Eggman. RTS fun for the whole family!

If this means having a Flicky army then Day 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I went shopping today, and someone bought the book for me as a gift. I didn't want to get it because I have heard that it has several inaccuracies (ex: especially about Nintendo's own games, how there was only one Castlevania game for the N64, calling Philips "Panasonic" several times when discussing the CD Add-on), so I hope I pick up on them when I read them. I've also heard that the author's writing style is extremely poor.

It likely won't be as good as "Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered the World", and it might not be as in-depth as "Nintendo Magic" (the book about the success of the Wii and DS). But I like reading about videogame history, so...

Man, I wish other companies would have books written about them. The only thing we have that's the closest to that are some of the documentaries in this thread, and also that "Ultimate History of Video Games" megabook. At least we have that History of Sonic book coming out soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought Blaze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amy. Out of all the females in the games, Blaze is the best one.

I don't see why they're even going with those covers, anyway! The next issue has the Tails cover. They're so bland and boring.

TheOGB

Banned
Amy is the Amyiest

Either this or Tokyo Jungle with the Sonic animals

Gravijah

I thought Blaze >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amy. Out of all the females in the games, Blaze is the best one.

I don't see why they're even going with those covers, anyway! The next issue has the Tails cover. They're so bland and boring.

well, i didn't mean coolest coolest.

just coolest.

Man, I wish other companies would have books written about them. The only thing we have that's the closest to that are some of the documentaries in this thread, and also that "Ultimate History of Video Games" megabook. At least we have that History of Sonic book coming out soon.
Well, as a guy who lurks occasionally around the Doom fandom (because I friggin' love Doom), there's a novel titled Masters of Doom that chronicles the history of id Software. Granted, I believe it was written somewhere in the '90s, so it's not the most up-to-date history, but by all accounts it's a fascinating read.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just got back from the store and I picked up Sonic Rush, couldn't really get into Rush Adventure due to all the touchscreen games that tended to drag on and the confusing hub setup. I hear a lot of great things about Rush so, time to play.

qq more

I really thought Rush was mediocre. But I've grown a bigger appreciation for boost gameplay over the years so I'll give it another shot. (Though, I remember not liking the level design)

If there was one thing I remember disliking about rush it was those odd gimmicky sections like in the pyramid stages where you get full directional movement on a very slow platform to dodge rocks, it's far from Rush at those points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom