• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kokonoe said:
First off I'll say I really like how it seems to have metallic arm guards on it to appear as if it's a type of robotic clothing. The shape of them clash really well with the leggings, and the design on both the feet and knees reminds me of Gundam (which I like). I also will mention I tend to like shoes with pointed tips.

The spikes on it's head are pointed in a smooth direction compared to Shadow, it also matches the other spikes on his body and it's more like a robotic hedgehog with spikes than normal hedgehog but with fluffy spikes.

How shiny it is is exclusive to Sonic Heroes, everything in that game was shiny. Also, instead of a typical cape, it actually has a cape attached to it's waist which matches quite well with the eyes and shoulders.

And the personality, for once in a Sonic game the villain was actually evil.

Lastly, it turns into this.
Man, I feel the complete opposite when it comes to Neo Metal Sonic's design. For a lot of the stuff you like, I dislike. A lot of the design in general, and also plotwise, was done for the sake of looking intimidating to the crew and also to the player. But I feel like it failed for me and ended up looking silly and desperate, particularly when Metal Sonic's last few words in the game was basically, "Why can't I ever defeat you?" or something to that effect (and then Sonic responds with something stupid like, "WE'RE SONIC HEROES").

The design just feels kinda messy, or uses too much of one thing in an attempt to look neat. While it works for some, it doesn't really work for me. :x It felt like their way of making Metal Sonic their version of Sephiroth.

Gravijah said:
it is, it is. but Sonic is Sonic; he's not Yu Narukami, star of Persona 4 The Animation & Persona 4 Arena, a completely different character from the P4 MC!
His name is always gonna be Souji Seta to me. >.>

*hasn't seen the entirety of Persona 4: The Animation outside of the first episode and I disliked the first episode* I ended up watching Fate/Zero instead and I feel like I made the right decision, haha.

I did play a bit of Persona 4 Arena though (the story mode is so long and repetitive and I don't wanna play through it anymore). The P4 MC's story mode isn't really indicative of his character, I don't think, like the anime apparently is?

To be honest, I've never noticed the ridiculous studded belt on Neo Metal Sonic until it was pointed out in this thread. What the fuck was being smoked when that design was conceived?
01laugh.gif

Anth0ny has been banned. Reverse-trolling in the Bayonetta 2 thread. :(

Oh damn. :/ Hopefully it's a short ban.

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, I feel the complete opposite when it comes to Neo Metal Sonic's design. For a lot of the stuff you like, I dislike. A lot of the design in general, and also plotwise, was done for the sake of looking intimidating to the crew and also to the player. But I feel like it failed for me and ended up looking silly and desperate, particularly when Metal Sonic's last few words in the game was basically, "Why can't I ever defeat you?" or something to that effect (and then Sonic responds with something stupid like, "WE'RE SONIC HEROES").

The design just feels kinda messy, or uses too much of one thing in an attempt to look neat. While it works for some, it doesn't really work for me. :x It felt like their way of making Metal Sonic their version of Sephiroth.

That line is terrible, but to be honest, Metal Sonic's voice doesn't fade into a more sad tone, it's the same tone he used the entire game. Although, Metal Sonic is a "hatred within" type of villain, and Sonic won't ever get that serious with the story to make it so the villain is completely invincible and doesn't show that Sonic is boss. Sonic games can have all the wacky stuff in the middle, but they will always end as the good guy conquers evil and has a "way past cool" party afterwards.

I think I do take the personality serious when I played it, but I took it serious for the realm of Sonic. I clearly wasn't expecting Metal Sonic to be able to face the entire Sonic cast, nor transform into Metal Madness like that. Metal Sonic doesn't really do anything crazy(besides transform), but his malfunction did give the character more of a desire to improve himself than to just go attack Sonic willynilly.

The Sonic Heroes ending is just so horribly cheerful regardless of what's being said, you nailed that dialogue even if you didn't really want to but on top of that you've got this really sappy piano melody going on to accompany such events as...

Rouge: I'm totally going to rob someone here, someone who might be called Knuckles
Knuckles: HAHAHA! that's hilarious

Amy: I'm abandoning my friends in order to continue tormenting Sonic with my creepy fascination over him
Big and Cream: Good luck! (why are you advocating this clearly sick hedgehog?)

Charmy: Hey remember how Eggman totally tricked us into helping him create his latest world domination plan AND didn't pay us?
Vector: Oh yeah, let's break his legs!
Eggman: *look of sheer terror*

All to a soothing piano ditty.

I collected all the emeralds for this? well at least the final boss music is sort of good.

Kokonoe

Banned
As for the story of Sonic Heroes, I only really liked the Metal Sonic parts.(Don't play Sonic Heroes for the story) Everything else just kinda threw away everything from the adventure games and went into a more softer tone that seemed to forget everything that happened in the last two games.

Kokonoe

Banned
You know, I just realized this, but I never really saw Metal Sonic until Heroes. I didn't play CD nor did I watch that movie.

I played CD now of course, still need to watch that movie.

I'm sure that guy would just love to work on Sonic again

He got out while the getting was good, so I doubt he's embittered towards the franchise in the same way people that got stuck on the hedgehog production line would be. I suppose he might feel he's moved on and not want to go back, though.

DD Neon is an outlier in Wayforward's catalogue.

HOWEVER- they've never been at MD Sonic levels of quality.

true, but neither has Dimps really
;)

In all seriousness though, Wayforward has made rather decent and competent 2D games though I can easily see your point as some of them were too easy, especially if you maxed out quickly depending on the game...except Aliens Infestation, which I haven't beaten because I keep getting my soldiers killed.

I had to check WayForward's catalog just to see if that really was their only "good game." It was looking like the truth until I saw that they also developed Contra 4, so I'm afraid that you are completely incorrect Billiechu.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm riding on a high from the Xillia 2 PV and I come in here seeing people pooh-poohing WayForward?

What kind of world am I living in.

Will I have to do this to someone in this thread?

iW5HrAxPUz4F3.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know I'm kidding. :p

Besides, you're probably taller than I am. Everyone usually is. I probably won't be able to do much, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom