• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this while digging through an old box full of change and receipts I never threw away...

thDzQ.png

Never forget.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll trade you! I've always wanted to be shorter.
I'm 4'11 & 3/4" without shoes. Do you really want to be that short? And then you'd have to maintain a lower weight to make sure you don't look all awkward and can still fit into petite-cut clothes. :/

I'd much rather be taller cuz then I could wear normal-sized clothes and boots. With shoes/boots, apparently I grow 1-2 inches, so it's not so bad, I guess. Edit: Oh, and I had to hem my pants when I was in high school and stuff, but I was lucky I wore a uniform to school so I didn't have to fix my clothes often.

Found this while digging through an old box full of change and receipts I never threw away...
The used game was so cheap, too. You paid so much money for... well... that.

TheOGB

Banned

thDzQ.png
It's okay. The past is behind you.

Actually that makes it sound like it's literally behind you with a knife or something, so that probably doesn't help

Emitan

I'm 4'11 & 3/4" without shoes. Do you really want to be that short? And then you'd have to maintain a lower weight to make sure you don't look all awkward and can still fit into petite-cut clothes. :/

I'd much rather be taller cuz then I could wear normal-sized clothes and boots. With shoes/boots, apparently I grow 1-2 inches, so it's not so bad, I guess. Edit: Oh, and I had to hem my pants when I was in high school and stuff, but I was lucky I wore a uniform to school so I didn't have to fix my clothes often.

Oh I think I'll keep my 6'00" so I don't have to worry about weight so much :<

I still need to lose a lot of weight though

TheOGB

Banned
I'm like 5'5½, which isn't bad but shorter than most people I associate with. :/

Everybody on my dad's side is like, at least 6' tall. This is bullshit

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh I think I'll keep my 6'00" so I don't have to worry about weight so much :<

I still need to lose a lot of weight though
I'm sorry. I feel like I overstepped my bounds. :(

Ideal weight usually depends on your frame and fat % and stuff. It just has a lot of factors in it. So it isn't going to be the same for everyone.

I just watch myself more now because of stuff like family history... and because going for runs and stuff and cutting out some of the pop makes me feel great. I love running, really.

Emitan

I'm sorry. I feel like I overstepped my bounds. :(

Ideal weight usually depends on your frame and fat % and stuff. It just has a lot of factors in it. So it isn't going to be the same for everyone.

I just watch myself more now because of stuff like family history... and because going for runs and stuff and cutting out some of the pop makes me feel great. I love running, really.

Went for a jog that was really more of a walk today. I need to do that every day. I rarely drink soda now but looking at family history I really need to start eating healthy :(

TheOGB

Banned
I still have the figure sealed in it's plastic bag...not sure if I should ever open it.
you know all those cartoons and shit where the big bad is some horrific monster sealed away forever "hidden" in the back of the museum and then some kid on a field trip goes and releases him and bad things happen

don't be that kid

you know all those cartoons and shit where the big bad is some horrific monster sealed away forever "hidden" in the back of the museum and then some kid on a field trip goes and releases him and bad things happen

don't be that kid

Pfft, bad things rarely happen. I say you open it!

Just won this lovely off of ebay

KnucklesChaotix_2.jpg

aww yeah
It's visually and aurally quite a treat. I love all the nifty effects they pulled off, like shields rotating along the y-axis in 3D, the end sign being a 3D box, objects shattering with every pixel scattering every which way, and probably the best special stages in the series.

Shame the game itself is mediocre.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Box of Bunnies said:
I'm not sure anyone ever cared for him. SegaSonic arcade and Knuckles Chaotix isn't exactly a high-profile resume. Comic fans maybe? But he never really had a big role in those either, right?
At least in the Knuckles subseries, he kind of did, if I recall correctly? I don't believe he's been seen in a while (since, like #212 or something?). Not sure about Sonic the Comic.

Anyway...

I have a question about Sonic X, because I saw ufotable credited on it somewhere. What did ufotable do on it, exactly? Because the main studio working on it was TMS Entertainment. I'm going to guess CG? I never really liked ufotable's CG all that much, tbh. It wasn't that great in even Fate/Zero.

Because ufotable's doing some massive awesome stuff like this:

xillia2.gif

*drool*
*squeeeeeeee* omg so excited look at that animation gold &#20932;&#12356;&#20932;&#12356;&#20932;&#12356;&#20932;&#12356;&#20932;&#12356;&#20932;&#12356;~ hype through the roof i can't wait to get this game because i think it is going to be so fun this probably will not be my goty 2012 at this rate ;____;

Man, I do not like the lighting and scenery in some of the Sonic X stuff at all. I've been spoiled lately, I guess.

lkske.gif
HeVE1.gif

Anyway, I'm surprised they didn't launch a new Sonic series or something like that when the 20th anniversary came around. Or put out a new OVA. For a while I was almost convinced that the fanwork clips from around the time Generations was about to come out was from a new anime series or an anime short.

Even something like Night of the Werehog would be pretty neat (well, that's cuz it was neat in the first place).

At least in the Knuckles subseries, he kind of did, if I recall correctly? I don't believe he's been seen in a while (since, like #212 or something?). Not sure about Sonic the Comic.

Oh yeah, the Knuckles book slipped my mind, which is kinda funny given I just ordered the first couple Archives collections of it recently.

Little slow on this (busy yesterday)...

Ping_Pals.jpg

It's basically that and DDN.

I actually like Double Dragon Neon a lot, past the initial learning curve (and some stat buffing helps, like Guardian Heroes Advance).

As for Ping Pals, I point that squarely at Nintendo for failing to communicate with 3rd parties at the time. They showed off Pictochat, but wouldn't say if it was going to be built into the console or not. (Nintendo's never built an app like that into their platforms before, that I'm aware of, so it was up in the air.) If Nintendo hadn't built Pictochat into the console, Ping Pals might've been just as viable a product. By the time good old N finally said "Yup, every DS includes Pictochat," it was probably way too late in the dev cycle, and they gambled with putting the app to market anyway.

Bad gamble, but it's a little annoying when people say "How STUPID was this!?" when, I believe, it was due to Nintendo being secretive like usual.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just pretend that Emerl is Professor Beef and the gif becomes even funnier.

Holy shit. I've been avoiding Xillia 2 media since I haven't gotten around to playing the first game yet (Going to just wait for the localization), but wow.
Oh gosh Seven Force I can't wait that PV was soooooo goooooooood i can't get my mind off of it ufotable is just too damn good

I ended up going back to my third playthrough of Xillia and I'm gonna commit to getting my second platinum for the game this time. Man, Ludger's gonna be fun to control and maintain combos with. He's like three or four characters in one. I've let myself get too hyped about it, though, so I feel like I'm not going to enjoy it as much. And they've kept the stupid Hearts/Xillia/Innocence R boss fight stuff in there again. :|

I'm still not upgrading to express shipping from CDJapan, though. That's too expensive. By the time I get it, everyone else might have finished it. But that's alright. *shrug*

Kokonoe

Banned
Think I found out why I like Neo Metal Sonic It's my favorite Gundam.

Just pretend that Emerl is Professor Beef and the gif becomes even funnier.

After suffering through the torment of the evil(not actually evil but evil to Beef) Chao, something inside calls out to him. (The voice of Macho Man Randy Savage)"Beef...Beef...You know I wouldn't have given a doctorate to someone who gives up so easily! Stop being blinded, stop being afraid, and remember...OOOOH YEAAH!"

And suddenly Beef finds his true power within when the theme of Nocturne plays and he goes Super.

Neo Metal Sonic could've done with some sort of energy scythe coming to think of it, it would distract from his silly getup.
Actually looking at NMS they would probably have made each head quill a giant scythe quill or something equally mad.

Going back to the Wayforward conversation from yesterday, I think it just depends on how much they themselves care. They seem like a pretty mercenary developer who will do anything as long as they get paid for it, and sometimes that works out.

A Boy and his Blob? Contra 4? Great stuff.

Bloodrayne Betrayal? Wasn't awful, but nobody even remembers that at this point, save for the "please Konami let us make a Castlevania game" soundtrack.

Double Dragon Neon? I don't know if they were really given a chance with that game; they sort of half-inherited the concept from another developer and the game was seemingly pushed out the door.

They are not a magic developer that you can just throw at anything and expect it to be amazing.

Of what i've played Mighty Switch Force was probably my favourite Way Forward game, short but sweet.
A boy and his blob gets pretty frustrating as it goes on, the somewhat cumbersome controls and mechanics, the blobs shaky AI and some cryptic bosses doomed my desire to continue after the caves.

And they've kept the stupid Hearts/Xillia/Innocence R boss fight stuff in there again. :|

So bosses are going to be nigh impossible to combo again? From what I played of Hearts, it was kind of annoying there. Hated the few bosses in Graces that did that, too. (Kurt >_>)

Of what i've played Mighty Switch Force was probably my favourite Way Forward game, short but sweet.
A boy and his blob gets pretty frustrating as it goes on, the somewhat cumbersome controls and mechanics, the blobs shaky AI and some cryptic bosses doomed my desire to continue after the caves.

Mighty Switch Force is fantastic. Soundtrack is holy shit so good, too.

Pietepiet

MSF is the only WayForward game I like. Even Adventure Time is looking really bad to me. Their games look nice graphically 'cause they have a lot of really good freelance pixel-artists (Konjak, ptoing, Henk Nieborg) working on their stuff. And of course Virt for the music <3

Maybe they should also consider hiring freelancers for the Game Design of their games...
Oh, and they need to stop doing 1990s Photoshop UI design. Bevel and dropshadow is not how you make nice looking buttons...

Most of this seems to be caused by rushed development schedules though. They don't take a whole lot of time to develop most of their games.

There's definitely good people working at the company, or at least there were when I did some freelancing there, but I feel if they really took their time and got some other people on board their games would be a lot better.

Wait, why are we talking about WayForward in the Sonic thread?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I presumed that we were talking about WayForward because we were wondering who would be a good fit for a new Sonic game.

Mighty Switch Force is definitely one of my favourites from them. And virt has certainly come a long way in terms of composition. It's unbelievable how well that soundtrack turned out.

Green Scar said:
why does a mech need a scythe
Because guns are passé and objects in space are in a continuous state of freefall, so... bullets are gonna go places. But then again, Gundam has laser guns so I dunno.

I dunno why he has a scythe.

Seven Force said:
So bosses are going to be nigh impossible to combo again? From what I played of Hearts, it was kind of annoying there. Hated the few bosses in Graces that did that, too. (Kurt >_>)
Breaking out of combos after 10 hits or so. RyougaSaotome played the demo at TGS, I think, and from the footage, it looked like bosses were basically hit and run yet again. And that isn't fun at all in a Tales game because you aren't taking advantage of all of the systems given to you. Boss battles in the last few Tales games haven't been that great, tbh. I hope the fixed the "hey, we're going to OVL and hi-ougi you out of nowhere now" thing.

Kurtz was just harder than he was in the Wii version because his lackeys kept coming back (and they were gone in the Wii version). As long as you modify your AI to stay the hell away, or if you stay the hell away and replenish people with items, he won't get away with using his hi-ougi on you. Kurtz... well, I didn't have a very difficult time with Kurtz... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom