• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicGAF. I'm kind of happy that Sega doesn't treat Sonic like how Capcom treats Mega Man. At least Sega's trying to get Sonic out of a rut.

Instead of mad, I'm just... I don't know.

Haha, you know what's funny? Sega started off this gen not being great, but then they turned great. Capcom started this gen being pretty cool, and then... well, you know. Ha... hahaha... ha... ;__;
Yeah, Sega have become magnificent, they went from stuff like Valkyria Chronicles to the four franchise fiesta of Football manager, Sonic, Aliens and Total War, cancelling other games because money problems......wait a second.
Sega seem to have been a rollercoaster ride all generation long with many ups and downs, at least Sonic has been getting progressively better for the most part.

To Capcom's credit at least Ace Attorney 5 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/4 are things that exist and presumable heading over at some point.

I guess i'm grateful that while I like Mega Man I don't like Mega Man so much that my heart is being stomped on like everyone else. I'm still more bitter over AAI2, Sega don't get away either because VC3.

All this WayForward talk and no mentions of Shantae? For shame.
Something about the very last section of that game left a really bad taste in my mouth, some sort of long scrolling shooter followed by long boss battles, otherwise it was pretty good.

Weird there's nothing DK related in those sketches when that's the only Nintendo property I can remember Archie asking readers if they'd be interested in a comic adaptation of.
They're keeping the DK stuff under wraps for its upcoming launch, BELIEVE!

Tizoc

Anyone read the latest Sonic Universe issue?
I'd say the best thing about it was
Geoffrey
All in all a good issue IMO, but I am looking forward to the upcoming Chaotix arc, IIRC they were ian Flynn's fav. characters in Sonic X.

All this WayForward talk and no mentions of Shantae? For shame.

First game was pretty damned amazing, especially considering the hardware. My cartridge got stolen years ago though, so I haven't been able to play it ever since. It's supposed to be coming to 3DS Virtual Console soon, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Risky's Revenge is sort of neat, but it's really short, and kind of overpriced for what little it offers.

TheOGB

Banned
We get together, we fight, we homies. OH SHIT GIANT HAND

We go separate ways, end up together again. We fight for old time's sake, we fight new guys, OH SHIT GIANT BOWSER, OH SHIT TWO GIANT HANDS

Subspace Emissary

At least 50 issues easy.

Would read it religiously, but what would be the premise of the whole thing? What would be the general "plot"?

Subspace Emissary plot of nonsense, kirby guys saving the day and what the hell is Tabuu anyway?!

Just kidding, a simple enough idea is that villains all join forces to kidnap princesses and achieve world domination leading to an uneasy alliances throughout the series as heroes band together, which is kind of what SSE was going for anyway just that instead of awesome fanservice villain group we got Master Hand, Bowser and Ganondorf leading an army of unrelated monsters and R.O.Bs that were usurped by a random hologram man who is powerful enough to one shot all characters but Sonic the hedgehog who is just too fast.

Wow let that sink in, Sonic was essentially the hero who saved the entire set of Nintendo franchises from being wiped out yet again, in a nintendo game no less.

Nintendo Land comic where we follow the exploits of 5 generic miis thrown into the world on Nintendo as they don the garbs of the lost heroes to take on the series villains in the main characters absence.

I think I threw up a bit just typing that out.

BlackJace

Subspace Emissary plot of nonsense, kirby guys saving the day and what the hell is Tabuu anyway?!

Just kidding, a simple enough idea is that villains all join forces to kidnap princesses and achieve world domination leading to an uneasy alliances throughout the series as heroes band together, which is kind of what SSE was going for anyway just that instead of awesome fanservice villain group we got Master Hand, Bowser and Ganondorf leading an army of unrelated monsters and R.O.Bs that were usurped by a random hologram man who is powerful enough to one shot all characters but Sonic the hedgehog who is just too fast.

Wow let that sink in, Sonic was essentially the hero who saved the entire set of Nintendo franchises from being wiped out yet again, in a nintendo game no less.

Yeah, I guess nonsensical would be the basis of the plot, haha.

OMG Aero

Fanfiction: The Comic

Hey don't look at me, FF7 guy wrote it.

"Wrote" it.

"Hey what if we had a non-descript enemy just go around and fuck shit up for everybody and I guess the villains of all videogames are behind it? I dunno. Really, it's just an excuse for Princess Peach to have tea with Fox McCloud on the Halberd."

I much preferred his original "yeah I dunno they're waiting for the bus" idea. Although I did enjoy Iwata's subtle implication in the Iwata Asks that they wanted more for what they were paying him. :lol

OMG Aero

Subspace Emissary was great because it was like a new Kirby platformer.
Then Subspace Emissary is terrible because you get to the end and it's like a hellish new Great Cave Offensive that takes fucking forever.

OK guys, request: I really like the original title suggestion for the SA2 |OT|, but I'm not sure we'll get away with only having an abbreviation of the game's title in the thread title.

So... ideas?

TheOGB

Banned
Subspace Emissary was great because it was like a new Kirby platformer.
Then Subspace Emissary is terrible because you get to the end and it's like a hellish new Great Cave Offensive that takes fucking forever.
This, exactly this.

Oh yeah, forgot to post the more horrific one

edit:
OK guys, request: I really like the original title suggestion for the SA2 |OT|, but I'm not sure we'll get away with only having an abbreviation of the game's title in the thread title.

So... ideas?
cancel it

cancel everything

game over man

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| Better than Tamagotchi
Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| Jet Shadow Radio

Not sure for the titles besides the ones I suggested before.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| http://youtu.be/xYCNQVIA-xg
Alternatively replace that link with any quote from it.

This is good, it's a shame this isn't Adventure 1 because I'd suggest "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| A ghost tried to approach me, he got leery. if it fits.

Incredible, all it's missing is the part where Eggman is presumed to have outright killed Sonic by firing him off into space while his friends mourn the assumed death of their hero, I mean damn that is pretty dark and out of place for Sonic, and it's all played straight to boot.
Someone remind me how he cheeses his way out of that grisly demise again, he warps with the fake emerald just because?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyone read the latest Sonic Universe issue?
I'd say the best thing about it was
Geoffrey
All in all a good issue IMO, but I am looking forward to the upcoming Chaotix arc, IIRC they were ian Flynn's fav. characters in Sonic X.
Picked #44 up today when I went to get some other stuff. Regarding Geoffrey,
at the end
? Yeah,
it's just too bad that he didn't stick it to the man. So I wonder what he's truly after

hard was a pretty decent character, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. His lines are written nicely anyway. The last panel on one of the pages was
T___T when he was stuck outside not being able to interact with the others much.

And hey look
Silver wasn't useless and got something done for once.

I might just go with "Mama Robotnik Approved"
Hee hee. I liked this one, though! Coupled with Mama Robotnik's synopsis while bolding the bit about meeting the president and something else about the parts of the game where you're supposed to feel something.

(I didn't know Mama Robotnik lurked in here. :O)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess i'm grateful that while I like Mega Man I don't like Mega Man so much that my heart is being stomped on like everyone else. I'm still more bitter over AAI2, Sega don't get away either because VC3.
I dunno about everyone else but... well, Mega Man 2 was one of the five games my cousins had me try out to get me into games (it was probably one of the first because SMB NES came towards the end). I was terrible at it. Horrible. I couldn't get past stages or anything. No matter which stage I picked I ended up dying. And dying. And dying. But I loved how it looked and sounded and played. It felt so good when I finally beat it. And then I kept playing the games whenever my cousins got new entry... and then it all culminated into how fucking awesome Mega Man X was.

To see Mega Man reduced to that... that thing for the 25th anniversary... it's like the damn equivalent of Konami celebrating a series' anniversary with a pachislot mashine like they did with Goemon. It's awful.

Well, certainly, Sega should have at least localized some stuff like 7th Dragon, some of the Ryu ga Gotoku games and VC3. They don't get a complete free pass. At least they're in a better position than Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom, etc. to me.

Sciz

Shard was a pretty decent character, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. His lines are written nicely anyway. The last panel on one of the pages was
T___T when he was stuck outside not being able to interact with the others much.

And hey look
Silver wasn't useless and got something done for once.

The end of the arc just reinforced my impressions from the first half. Shard is excellent all around, Larry is comedy gold, and Silver's actually enjoyable when he's busy being a foil for Shard's powers and personality and not blathering on about the traitor. The other half of the team is boring, useless, and in the specific case of Elias, actively bad at his job. Chuck and Nicole as support works, but Harvey can go jump in a lake. We didn't need yet another team of characters, and certainly not one this big. They're also all terrible at being stealthy, so it came off as fairly odd that the arc both lampshaded the fact and still tried to end on a "BUT NO ONE CAN EVER KNOW" note. Keep the good half, put the rest back on a bus. Shard, at least, had plenty of hooks set up for future development, so I imagine we'll at least see more of him. Hopefully in a three-way match between him, Shadow, and Scourge over who's the better dark Sonic.

Oh, and going by the X's, if the whole traitor things really does end up being "it was Sally because she got roboticized and Silver didn't figure it out because he's completely oblivious," I'm gonna go bang my head against a wall for a while. Though apparently we have a good six months to go for that. This whole year's been terrible for scheduling changes.

Kokonoe

Banned
Out of curiosity, I'm interesting in knowing SonicGAF's top 10 favorite/greatest video games of all time. I'm not looking for posts explaining why, just a simple list stating you top ten favorites, and they don't have to be in any order. I wish to know this so I may possibly get a bigger of idea of what games and styles you prefer the most.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. Sonic & Knuckles

(Not in any order)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Gold Version
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)
Sonic Adventure 2Battle
Sonic Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic 2
Pokemon Red & Blue

It took me a bit to come to this conclusion, but I honestly think these are the games I consider the best.

MikeMyers

Out of curiosity, I'm interesting in knowing SonicGAF's top 10 favorite/greatest video games of all time. I'm not looking for posts explaining why, just a simple list stating you top ten favorites, and they don't have to be in any order. I wish to know this so I may possibly get a bigger of idea of what games and styles you prefer the most.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. Sonic & Knuckles

(Not in any order)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Gold Version
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)
Sonic Adventure 2Battle
Sonic Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic 2
Pokemon Red & Blue

It took me a bit to come to this conclusion, but I honestly think these are the games I consider the best.

All-Time Favourite:
Final Fantasy X

In no real order:
Capcom vs SNK2
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Yellow
Psychic Force
Resident Evil 4
Sailor Moon: Beat 'Em Up
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
Tekken 3