• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was mostly referring to the old FF/DQ style of random battle. The only implementation of random battles I've liked is Pokemon. I hate them otherwise- I find them frustrating.

OMG Aero

games don't age. they don't become dated. i can't think of a single game (and i play stuff from the late 70s-now) where i've thought "man, this game has aged poorly!" you just have to approach with the mindset of the era they are from.
Try playing Goldeneye multiplayer with 4 people now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was looking forward to Black Sigil for what feels like YEARS. And then I never made if very far in because... yeah.
I encountered a game-ending bug. Yay. :(

I usually feel the need to finish things off, so I had to do it (ie: restart).

Random battles in general have never bothered me at all, really.

Was Black Sigil the game with the 16-Bit Squaresoft esque sprite style? I remember reading a preview for it in a magazine a while back.
The game that was supposed to be reminiscent of CT, yes. Please don't play it. Good intentions, horrible execution.

I don't really have an issue with random battles either. Unless I'm playing something like Black Sigil, Hoshi wo Miru Hito, Beyond the Beyond, or some other lower-budget RPGs. Dragon Quest and FFs after the NES have better random battle frequency; you don't really encounter stuff all that often, imo. That's why I find it kinda mindblowing when people say that FF6's random battle frequency is high. :lol

Even a game without random encounters like Last Rebellion has a ridiculously high monster respawn rate (and when they give chase, they don't stop chasing you; you have to fight them). So it isn't the randomness that's the problem for me. It's the frequency.

I think you guys should actually try and play Goldeneye multiplayer with 4 people now.

Still do it to this day with that and PD. (The latter is because I don't own a 360 for the updated port, and my buddies are usually to lazy to even bring controllers, let alone an entire console.)

I can still play perfect Dark in multiplayer complete with bots everywhere and the frame rate slipping into a world of horror, it's a small price to pay for such good stuff.
Funnily enough while the 360 version solves the framerate problem it made the bots stupidly good even on lower difficulties and death feels far swifter, it was pretty disappointing.

Goldeneye multiplayer hasn't quite managed so well but Archives is still an awesome stage I think we can all agree.

Y'know, I probably should've reread what I posted three years ago. I completely forgot I slighted SMB3 in there.

World is still better, deal with it

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Considering the Mega Man thread got the comic preview, let's do the same in this thread.

Hey remember when we were talking about the significance of Mighty?

1232345_fulu8kth.jpg

Writer: Ian Flynn
Art: Terry Austin & Various
Cover Art: Tracy Yardley & Various

‘Endangered Species,’ Part Two. Sonic and Team Fighters can’t retake Albion on their own. Who can help turn the tide? Knuckles, that’s who! Knuckles confronts old enemies and old hardships all at once to save the last of his people. And is it a good or a bad thing the mysterious Thrash the Tasmanian Devil has arrived?

1232346_fulp1j5t.jpg

Writer: Ian Flynn
Art: Jim Amash & Various
Cover Art: Stephen Downer & Various

‘All For One,’ Part Two. The Chaotix are on the hunt for the missing Mighty and Ray, and their investigation takes them to the heart of enemy territory! With the Mercian Freedom Fighters at their side, will they find the vital clue they need? Or will Lord Hood claim more prisoners for his dungeon?

Kokonoe

Banned
Looking up the definition of spinoff will explain what Yoshi's Island is.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
Star Fox 64
NieR
Pokémon White
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
DOOM
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64

Stop telling me lies.

Sciz

Haven't seen Thrash since he was introduced in Knuckles' SU arc a good three years ago. And he was just... there, at the time, wasn't fleshed out at all. IIRC Ian's said this story kept getting pushed back.

And speaking of stuff that was set up in that Knuckles arc, it's nice to see the Mighty/Ray story finally happen, and it looks like Mercia's set to get some long overdue development.

Then the tie-in issues happen, and Mega Man/Sonic is coming shortly thereafter. It's gonna be a while before we get any major plot points wrapped up.

Top 10 in no order:

- Yoshi's Island
- Sonic 3+K
- Phoenix Wright: T&T
- Final Fantasy 9
- Pokemon SoulSilver
- DKC2
- Paper Mario: TTYD
- Capcom vs. SNK 2
- Majora's Mask
- The Wind Waker

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haven't seen Thrash since he was introduced in Knuckles' SU arc a good three years ago. And he was just... there, at the time, wasn't fleshed out at all. IIRC Ian's said this story kept getting pushed back.

And speaking of stuff that was set up in that Knuckles arc, it's nice to see the Mighty/Ray story finally happen, and it looks like Mercia's set to get some long overdue development.

Then the tie-in issues happen, and Mega Man/Sonic is coming shortly thereafter. It's gonna be a while before we get any major plot points wrapped up.
I haven't gotten the Knuckles SU volume yet. Perhaps I should before reading this in December. Was that still around the time when he was cleaning up the mess that the other writers left?

Wonder how the Mega Man and Sonic tie-in came up. I would've thought they'd try for something like that in the event that the Mega Man comic established itself for a few years. Obviously they're at the mercy of Sega when it comes to tie-in stuff.

- Final Fantasy 9
I almost want to revise my list and put an FF game on it, but I don't want to kick anything out right now. :/

Hey remember when we were talking about the significance of Mighty?
I definitely remember you bringing him down.

Looking up the definition of spinoff will explain what Yoshi's Island is.

Stop telling me lies.
Point 1 agreed, point 2, well you already know, maybe you'll come around with the sequels and we can all laugh together.

I almost want to revise my list and put an FF game on it, but I don't want to kick anything out right now. :/
I figured you were a fan, turns out I got swerved with a DMC3/Ninja Gaiden position.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Point 1 agreed, point 2, well you already know, maybe you'll come around with the sequels and we can all laugh together.

Oh, I said that because of a few things Billie has told me, not because of the choice of White. Hey, at least i'm hyping it in my avatar!

Oh, I said that because of a few things Billie has told me, not because of the choice of White. Hey, at least i'm hyping it in my avatar!

Oh me and my misinterpreting, hmm I guess you are hyping it, question is how long can it last before you inevitably get the urge to switch?

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh me and my misinterpreting, hmm I guess you are hyping it, question is how long can it last before you inevitably get the urge to switch?

I'll probably switch shortly after it comes out, or just remove the 2. I'm mainly getting 2 for the endgame content and not the actual game itself.

Am I the only one trumpeting AA1 then? it's a one man parade.

It's quite funny seeing how many lists here have quite a fair amount of cross over in choices.

BlackJace

Am I the only one trumpeting AA1 then? it's a one man parade.

It's quite funny seeing how many lists here have quite a fair amount of cross over in choices.

AA1 is really good, but the finality and resolution of AA3 is just so amazing. The last few minutes in the courtroom in Case 5 rocked me to my core.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was pretty late to the party with the AA games and played them in 2010. I dunno. There are things I like about all of them. It's hard to pick a favourite.

I definitely remember you bringing him down.
That's cuz Mighty's never ever mentioned anywhere. Except the comics.

I figured you were a fan, turns out I got swerved with a DMC3/Ninja Gaiden position.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I was really close to putting an FF game in the Top 20, though. This is why I needed a Top 20. -_-

I fully blame DMC3:DA (SE) for making me desire difficulty settings in everything, tbh. It ultimately affected my current playstyle in a lot of games in general, and that's why I added it in there. I think that was the first time I started thinking of frames and cancels and timing and animations and whatever.

AA1 is really good, but the finality and resolution of AA3 is just so amazing. The last few minutes in the courtroom in Case 5 rocked me to my core.

AA1 is fantastic, but I found AA3 to have the overall stronger cases. Wraps up the trilogy amazingly, as well.
It's so close but 1-5 really puts the first over for me, even though it's not actually in the original GBA version.

That's cuz Mighty's never ever mentioned anywhere. Except the comics.
He's mentioned in my heart and that's what evidently doesn't count.

I was really close to putting an FF game in the Top 20, though. This is why I needed a Top 20. -_-

I fully blame DMC3:DA (SE) for making me desire difficulty settings in everything, tbh. It ultimately affected my current playstyle in a lot of games in general.
We all need a top 20 and even then, it's hard.
I meant to finally get around to DMC3 this year with the HD collection but I guess it's still on the backburner, always good to have a list of yet unplayed classics.

Sonic fans aren't in a position to tell DKC fans what has and hasn't aged well.

emot-colbert.gif
Now now, lets not start anything, just smile and nod when trial and error comes up...in a Sonic thread.
Okay i'm done, playing Sonic like a reckless fool is how I like it anyway.

Gravijah

i meant to grab this quote earlier re: YI as a Mario, but here we go:

"SM: When we first made Yoshi's Island, we considered it part of the Mario series. After that, the Yoshi series continued on its own. As developers, do we consider it to be part of the core Mario series? The answer is yes."

And this is how far it gets you when you try to recapture the magic of jumping on 90's-era CGI crocodiles on the Genesis.

I fucking lose it everytime I hear that scream effect

Sounds like the Super Mario Bros coin room from All Stars.

DKC2 is godlike
DKC3 is pretty good, if SUPER fuckin' gimmicky and too many collectibles
DKC1 has nice production values and not much else
I pretty much agree with this but will add that DKC1 has pretty nice flow in most stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom