• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
DKC2 is godlike
DKC3 is pretty good, if SUPER fuckin' gimmicky and too many collectibles
DKC1 has nice production values and not much else

This. I still love DKC's music and how it rebooted a series which would've otherwise remained dead (besides Candy but she was promptly forgotten before the DK64 guys decided to bring her back), but as a platformer while by no means bad it's not particularly great either. I'd argue it sets the foundations for the others and Returns well though, and the 2000's era criticisms that it was a Mario clone seemed kind of bizarre given how it plays in comparison to World.

DKC2 is nearly perfect and suffers only from a few levels with glitchy collision, an infuriating final level and a few nitpicks like Wrinkly Kong being bland and pointless compared to Cranky.

DKC3 is closer gameplay wise to the second game so it's still good and has one of my favorite maps in platformers (which instantly made Funky from an annoying gameplay mechanic to a well-integrated feature), but some of the changes like Kiddy, the new enemy designs and stuff like the banana birds definitely drag the game down.

Returns is objecitvely better than DKC2 but does coast a lot on DKC1's legacy while having largely recycled music that somehow sounds lower quality than the original game's, an incredibly generic final boss in a series which normally if nothing else has memorable K. Rool fights and fucking awful rocket barrel levels.

I like Donkey Kong.

Returns is objecitvely better than DKC2 but does coast a lot on DKC1's legacy while having largely recycled music that somehow sounds lower quality than the original game's, an incredibly generic final boss in a series which normally if nothing else has memorable K. Rool fights and fucking awful rocket barrel levels.

I like Donkey Kong.

Agreed 100%. Also, DKCR allows you to play as DK in a great platformer, so that's bonus points right there.

I've always meant to get around the playing the series in it's entirety. I've only played DKC1 (and even then, I've only played the GBC port in it's entirety, I've only played a bit of the original SNES version) and the GBA version of DKC2 (Which I had fun with)

Always meant to get the entire trilogy + Returns on Wii one of these days...

Kokonoe

Banned
i meant to grab this quote earlier re: YI as a Mario, but here we go:

"SM: When we first made Yoshi's Island, we considered it part of the Mario series. After that, the Yoshi series continued on its own. As developers, do we consider it to be part of the core Mario series? The answer is yes."

It's a part of the Mario series because it's a spinoff and uses characters from the series, but is a whole new setting and style, while the main character is a minor character from the main series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-off_(media)
In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event). A spin-off may be called a sidequel when it exists in the same chronological frame of time as its predecessor work.[1] One of the earliest spin-offs of the modern media era, if not the first, happened in 1941 when the supporting character Throckmorton P. Guildersleeve from the old time radio comedy show Fibber McGee and Molly became the star of his own program The Great Guildersleeve (1941–1957).[2]

In genre fiction, the term parallels the usage in television; it is usually meant to indicate a substantial change in narrative viewpoint and activity from that (previous) storyline based around the activities of the series' principal protagonist(s) and so is a shift to that action and overall narrative thread of some other protagonist(s), which now becomes the central or main thread (storyline) of the new sub-series. The new protagonist generally appears first as a minor or supporting character in the main story line within a given milieu, and it is very common for the previous protagonist to have a supporting or cameo role, at the least as a historical mention, in the new sub-series. Sometimes, spin-offs generate their own spin-offs, leaving the new show only vaguely connected to the original series.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spin-off

any product that is an adaption, outgrowth, or development of another similar product: The paperback is a spin-off from the large hardcover encyclopedia.

Yoshi's Island is a spinoff just as Wario Land 1 is a spinoff.

Gravijah

but that's not what he said. he referred to it as a core title, and basically said that when it was made, it was considered a Mario title.

and here's the question:

"Here in the States, Yoshi’s Island was referred to as Super Mario World 2. Despite the title, many gamers don’t consider it part of the core series. Do you consider it part of the classic canon of Mario platformers or is it a spin-off in your mind since the player controls Yoshi?"

Kokonoe

Banned
but that's not what he said. he referred to it as a core title, and basically said that when it was made, it was considered a Mario title.

and here's the question:

"Here in the States, Yoshi’s Island was referred to as Super Mario World 2. Despite the title, many gamers don’t consider it part of the core series. Do you consider it part of the classic canon of Mario platformers or is it a spin-off in your mind since the player controls Yoshi?"

Gravijah we're dealing with actual definitions here, Miyamoto saying something doesn't change a definition. Mario doesn't throw eggs, Mario doesn't "lose" from not catching a bubble in time, Mario doesn't flutter jump, Mario doesn't transform into vehicles, and Mario isn't the main character. Mario also doesn't do a running smash either, hence Wario being a spinoff.

Gravijah

tons of sequels and games in a series have completely changed the base mechanics, characters, etc. look at Final Fantasy I and compare it to Final Fantasy XIII. or Final Fantasy IV compared to Final Fantasy XI. they all play vastly different, with different worlds, but they are mainline, core, Final Fantasy titles.

Yoshi gets his own icon in Super Smash Bros. and his own game in Nintendo Land.

because games like Yoshi's Story, YI:DS, etc are in fact Yoshi's series games. Yoshi's Island is the Mario game that spawned those series.

Soyo Oka!
If not for this I would've credited it to Kondo forever more.

This. I still love DKC's music and how it rebooted a series which would've otherwise remained dead (besides Candy but she was promptly forgotten before the DK64 guys decided to bring her back), but as a platformer while by no means bad it's not particularly great either. I'd argue it sets the foundations for the others and Returns well though, and the 2000's era criticisms that it was a Mario clone seemed kind of bizarre given how it plays in comparison to World.

DKC2 is nearly perfect and suffers only from a few levels with glitchy collision, an infuriating final level and a few nitpicks like Wrinkly Kong being bland and pointless compared to Cranky.

DKC3 is closer gameplay wise to the second game so it's still good and has one of my favorite maps in platformers (which instantly made Funky from an annoying gameplay mechanic to a well-integrated feature), but some of the changes like Kiddy, the new enemy designs and stuff like the banana birds definitely drag the game down.

I like Donkey Kong.

Returns really could've used unique bonus rooms, it's one thing that really sticks out to me in the game as a noticeable screw up along with the bosses not called Mangoruby. Gear Getaway was awesome enough that I appreciate those rocket barrels for the most part but there could have been less, similar deal with Rayman's mosquito stuff, nothing quite puts a dampener on a stage when your realize you wont be platforming today.
I wish they had a bit more time and the Golden Temple got to be a full world.
If only waggle roll, blowing and Diddy's jetpack interfering with the bounce mechanic weren't issues, I want to say the game has sublime control as DK himself feels so right, weighty yet nimble like a hulking ape should be but those other things sort of put a damper on the control as a whole.
But anyway Returns probably has the better level design on the whole but minor niggles and the cribbing from DKC1 hold it that bit back from nabbing the top spot, sequel please to rectify this.

Which stage are we considering final for DKC2? Screech's Sprint or Animal Antics? I never felt either was that infuriating, tough for similar Squawk related reasons.

Yoshi gets his own icon in Super Smash Bros. and his own game in Nintendo Land.

He gets his own series. :lol

Anyway, I'm more just concerned with keeping Yoshi's Island out of discussions about the best 2D Mario platformer. I'd also exclude stuff like Donkey Kong '94. That discussion should be solely SMB, SML, World and NSMB. You know, because they're all variations on the original game.

If you wanna say "what's the best Mario game?" then duh, obviously it's Yoshi's Island Galaxy 2, fuck y'all *leaves*

Gravijah

He gets his own series. :lol

Anyway, I'm more just concerned with keeping Yoshi's Island out of discussions about the best 2D Mario platformer. I'd also exclude stuff like Donkey Kong '94. That discussion should be solely SMB, SML, World and NSMB. You know, because they're all variations on the original game.

word of God. you cannot keep it out.

Kokonoe

Banned
tons of sequels and games in a series have completely changed the base mechanics, characters, etc. look at Final Fantasy I and compare it to Final Fantasy XIII. or Final Fantasy IV compared to Final Fantasy XI. they all play vastly different, with different worlds, but they are mainline, core, Final Fantasy titles.

because games like Yoshi's Story, YI:DS, etc are in fact Yoshi's series games. Yoshi's Island is the Mario game that spawned those series.

None of those games take place in the same universe, so it's quite a bit different. It would be like saying Final Fantasy 13 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy 10 when it clearly is not. Yoshi's Island takes place in the same universe as Mario (Like Wario Land) but features a brand new main character with different styles to everything. The term and definition of spinoff exists for a reason, and it's for games like Yoshi's Island, Wario Land, and Shadow The Hedgehog.

Gravijah

None of those games take place in the same universe, so it's quite a bit different. It would be like saying Final Fantasy 13 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy 10 when it clearly is not. Yoshi's Island takes place in the same universe as Mario (Like Wario Land) but features a brand new main character with different styles to everything. The term and definition of spinoff exists for a reason, and it's for games like Yoshi's Island, Wario Land, and Shadow The Hedgehog.

i don't believe Mario canon actually exists. i wouldn't consider any Mario game a direct sequel to another, because of how wonky everything is. if anything, the only games that are maybe directly related are... SMG1-2, NSMB series, and maybe uh... YI->SMW? maybe?

and Yoshi's Island actually stars Mario, too. just because you don't control him doesn't really matter. the entire point is that you are protecting Mario, because it's the very first game "chronologically" in the series, with Mario as a baby.

Miyamoto chats shit constantly though, asshole thinks the Koopalings aren't Bowser kids and that he could have made Halo

At this point I'm just gonna pull the "if it walks like a duck" card

i think he's only talking about the Koopalings in NSMB. which would make sense, as it's basically a different series at this point.

Kokonoe

Banned
i don't believe Mario canon actually exists. i wouldn't consider any Mario game a direct sequel to another, because of how wonky everything is. if anything, the only games that are maybe directly related are... SMG1-2, NSMB series, and maybe uh... YI->SMW? maybe?

and Yoshi's Island actually stars Mario, too. just because you don't control him doesn't really matter. the entire point is that you are protecting Mario, because it's the very first game "chronologically" in the series, with Mario as a baby.

Stories and universe are two different things, just because it fits in the world of Mario, doesn't mean a spinoff can't connect a storyline. Shadow The Hedgehog fits directly into the Sonic timeline, and Sonic is a part of your team as are the other Sonic characters, but it is not a direct sequel to any Sonic game because the main character changes, and the style changes on drastic level while still being in the same universe as the mainline games.

OMG Aero

This is the fucking dumbest discussion.
zpXlO.gif

Gravijah

That's just Doki Doki Panic reskinned.

yes, but its influence can be felt in every subsequent Mario title, yet it also plays differently from others in the series. i would consider it a core title in the series.

i mean, without SMB2, there would be no Bob-Ombs in Mario. i'm sure everyone considers that a classic Mario enemy.

yes, but its influence can be felt in every subsequent Mario title, yet it also plays differently from others in the series. i would consider it a core title in the series.

i mean, without SMB2, there would be no Bob-Ombs in Mario. i'm sure everyone considers that a classic Mario enemy.

Forget the Bob-Ombs, they brought us the Shyguys, best enemy of the lot.

I'd count SMB2. It's too close to the original SMB not to. My disagreement with Yoshi's Island's placement is purely mechanics based, and I think the mechanics of SMB2 are definitely close enough. Especially considering the influence it had on future games in the series, whereas none of the NSMB games (for example) take influence from YI's mechanics.

Gravijah

I'd count SMB2. It's too close to the original SMB not to. My disagreement with Yoshi's Island's placement is purely mechanics based, and I think the mechanics of SMB2 are definitely close enough. Especially considering the influence it had on future games in the series, whereas none of the NSMB games (for example) take influence from YI's mechanics.

SM64 plays completely different from every Mario before it, but you would still consider it a core title, no?

Gravijah

mainline, post Donkey Kong Mario Titles (IMO)

Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros 2., Super Mario Bros 3., Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros U.

mainline, post Donkey Kong Mario Titles (IMO)

Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros 2., Super Mario Bros 3., Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros U.

I'd include the Mario Lands. Apart from that, yeah, that's the Mario mainline series. If they ever make Mario Generations, I expect a level from each!

but it plays almost exactly like YI

It's made by Artoon and is unworthy

Kokonoe

Banned
If it has Dan Green and Eric Stuart doing the voices of Atem and Kaiba for two of the main characters, I'd actually watch it.

but it plays almost exactly like YI
It certainly does.
Weaker music, occasionally irritating use of new baby gimmicks and weaker stage design on the whole are noticeable downsides but I find it quite fascinating how much dislike it gets when to me the main problem is more that it is just too similar, like an inferior copy.
Still not quite worthy of the bum rush it gets, just goes to show what a high pedestal the original is placed on, you'd think they'd be happy the game got at least a lot closer than Story, Touch and Go and UNIVERSAL GRAVITATION.

It's made by Artoon and is unworthy
UNIVERSAL GRAVITATION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom