• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here actually ever play Blinx? Man that sucked. Never did get to play the probably amazing sequel though

Blinx_2_-_Masters_of_Time_and_Space_Coverart.png

Sciz

I haven't gotten the Knuckles SU volume yet. Perhaps I should before reading this in December. Was that still around the time when he was cleaning up the mess that the other writers left?
Nah, Universe got started up in spring 2009, and Ian had pretty well finished his cleanup by fall 2007. Hard to think of #160 being over six years ago now, but it was.

Wonder how the Mega Man and Sonic tie-in came up. I would've thought they'd try for something like that in the event that the Mega Man comic established itself for a few years. Obviously they're at the mercy of Sega when it comes to tie-in stuff.
Basically, Sega and Capcom both brought up the idea of a crossover as a possibility, Paul Kaminski jumped on it, and then it turned out that Ian had quietly been writing crossover concepts since the day they'd gotten the Mega Man license in the first place. I assume the licensors were both interested it making it happen since both series gain visibility by working with the other.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am surprised that we don't have a Mario community thread yet.

Yoshi's Island DS is most certainly a direct sequel to Yoshi's Island, consider your minds shattered.
That game does not exist.

Nah, Universe got started up in spring 2009, and Ian had pretty well finished his cleanup by fall 2007. Hard to think of #160 being over six years ago now, but it was.
Ah. Then wtf was up with that 30 Years Later arc, then? After the SU issues and the SSSM volume with those issues, I have to wonder what in the world they were thinking with that.

Basically, Sega and Capcom both brought up the idea of a crossover as a possibility, Paul Kaminski jumped on it, and then it turned out that Ian had quietly been writing crossover concepts since the day they'd gotten the Mega Man license in the first place. I assume the licensors were both interested it making it happen since both series gain visibility by working with the other.
Huh, interesting that both Sega and Capcom brought it up. Didn't think they cared that much. It doesn't surprise me that Flynn was writing up concepts for it, though. Not in the slightest. MM is pretty solid, so I have to wonder if he's a bigger fan of the series than he is of Sonic sometimes.

Hey, guys

Sonic

I know, right

I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to the Mega Man crossover; I mean, I'm not really a fan of the comics continuity, but that's most assuredly the continuity that'll be used...

I am surprised that we don't have a Mario community thread yet.

That game does not exist.

I have a feeling it would flounder like the Zelda and Kirby threads, something about the Nintendo franchises don't seem to lend themselves to much community around here for whatever reason.

And before I depart i'll leave you all with a haunting reminder that IT DOES EXIST!
Urgh, such a bad theme, meanwhile i'll lull myself to sleep with this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey, guys

Sonic

I know, right
SONIC

HE CAN REALLY MOVE

SONIC

HE'S GOT AN ATTITUDE

(when I finish my exam on Thursday, I'll see if I can play a bit of Sonic After the Sequel and post some shots in here.)

Have some Sonic Adventure 2 HD Screenshots instead.

I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to the Mega Man crossover; I mean, I'm not really a fan of the comics continuity, but that's most assuredly the continuity that'll be used...
The Mega Man Universe is sticking really close with the games, though. Of course the Sonic one took the SatAM universe and made it its own thing. I'm hoping that it turns out nicely. Flynn's doing a decent job with all three comic series, so I don't think it's going to be a disaster at all.

Nocturnowl said:
I have a feeling it would flounder like the Zelda and Kirby threads, something about the Nintendo franchises don't seem to lend themselves to much community around here for whatever reason.
I wonder why, really. The Zelda Community Thread seemed to die around the time SS came out. The FF Community Thread always seems to be ignored in favour of getting into arguments in announcement threads. The SMT Community Thread sorta died too. Even the Resident Evil community thread died and you'd think it'd be used more in the wake of RE6.

Really, the only community threads on gaming side that seem to be ok are the Pokemon and Sonic threads. I imagine the Mega Man thread might be joining this group because people seem to be talking about it and bumping the thread quite a bit. I wonder why that is...

And no, that game doesn't exist. You can't prove to me that it exists. It's a lie.

qq more

Hey, at least YI DS's "beautiful" (mediocre) music is better than whatever the fuck Sonic Chronicles' was

Now that was some rageworthy material. I couldn't sit through that one livestream of the game because the music was getting really grating. Like... wow.

qq more

a part of me right now wants to make a SonicGAF irc chat considering we're so lively

but it'd probably be dead in a matter of hours

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think there are enough of us to participate in IRC chats. It's usually the same people and there would probably be a lot of overlap with PokéGAF anyway.

I like this thread because it's fun. Plus I think I started participating in Sonic threads waaaay before I even started participating in the RPG threads as a junior because everyone seemed to get along and everyone at least had a sense of humour. Even with the constant derails.

Kokonoe

Banned
There is a rather lack of things to discuss lately, but that's because we've already told each other that we dislike each others favorite games and how the everyone likes the classic games. That, and there is no news of any games being worked on.

Hunnid-P is apparently doing something for SEGA or in talks with SEGA for something, but I don't think that's Adventure 3, just probably a music release.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh maaaan, I wasn't expecting that when I clicked the link. :O

Hey, we've had discussions on how important stories are in the Sonic game series, I don't think that tops it.
Speaking of which, are stories really that important in Sonic games?

I think they're fine if they don't take themselves too seriously. That's why I prefer the recent string of Sonic games like Unleashed and Colours. Even while the Genesis Sonic games had somewhat serious stuff (which became apparent in Sonic 3 & Knuckles), it's handled in a way that made the story not quite overbearing and made the game (in terms of gameplay, level design, presentation, etc) itself the biggest feature to the player.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh maaaan, I wasn't expecting that when I clicked the link. :O

Speaking of which, are stories really that important in Sonic games?

I think they're fine if they don't take themselves too seriously. That's why I prefer the recent string of Sonic games like Unleashed and Colours. Even while the Genesis Sonic games had somewhat serious stuff (which became apparent in Sonic 3 & Knuckles), it's handled in a way that made the story not quite overbearing and made the game (in terms of gameplay, level design, presentation, etc) itself the biggest feature to the player.

Not anymore, they had a chance with the Adventure games, but now it's just better to keep it as they are now. As for successors to the classic series, I would like it more than anything to bring back the silent and serious story they had going on, but Sonic now is to appeal as a softer character than before, so they'd probably never do it.

TheOGB

Banned
I don't know what I like more; the fact that I've gotten you all used to expecting Nocturne, or the fact that you guys always click the link. :lol
Half the time I'm on my phone and I have it so the youtube links embed the video on the page

This time I wasn't though, so I was scared for a second

qq more

My reaction was pretty much this:

"Oh, Beef. You know I'm smart enough to not click on that damned song's link again! Hahahaha. ...Oh hell, you know what? Just for the sake of it... *clicks*

wait

what"

The Mega Man Universe is sticking really close with the games, though. Of course the Sonic one took the SatAM universe and made it its own thing. I'm hoping that it turns out nicely. Flynn's doing a decent job with all three comic series, so I don't think it's going to be a disaster at all.
I'm just not a fan of the SatAM-based universe these days, honestly. I mean, there are aspects of it I like, and it's a fairly solid universe all-around, but it's so far removed from the source material at this point...

I mean, it really started to flounder around the Sonic Adventure era. Oh, hey, SA2 takes place on Earth now, not Mobius? We'll just not acknowledge that oh no wait we'll have this actually rather interesting plot with an alien invasion that confirms Mobius is Earth but won't start calling it Earth because that'd be inconsistent with the previous comic continuity despite the continuing inconsistency with the games okay. Also, Station Square is in a mountain. Not on a mountain - in a mountain. A seaside city, inside a mountain. What.

On the plus side, at least their moon is still whole, AFAIK. (Then again, so is the one in the game continuity, despite half being blown up in the past. I'd love it if they explained that detail at some point.)

Anyone here actually ever play Blinx? Man that sucked. Never did get to play the probably amazing sequel though

Blinx_2_-_Masters_of_Time_and_Space_Coverart.png

The only things I remember about Blinx 2 is what I learned from the store demo kiosk, and that was:

1. You do not play as Blinx; instead, you create a custom time cat and enroll in whatever academy Blinx was a part of.
  2. The game has like a 20 minute, non-skippable tutorial and since this was a store demo kiosk I never passed it.

Edit: Glancing at a Blinx 2 Let's Play on Youtube it looks like the game is also a really bad offender in the "tutorial character tells you the solution to every puzzle and won't shut the fuck up" category.

Emitan

The only things I remember about Blinx 2 is what I learned from the store demo kiosk, and that was:

1. You do not play as Blinx; instead, you create a custom time cat and enroll in whatever academy Blinx was a part of.
  2. The game has like a 20 minute, non-skippable tutorial and since this was a store demo kiosk I never passed it.

Edit: Glancing at a Blinx 2 Let's Play on Youtube it looks like the game is also a really bad offender in the "tutorial character tells you the solution to every puzzle and won't shut the fuck up" category.

You just described a game with the phrase "you create a custom time cat". This game must be played by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom