• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Glancing at a Blinx 2 Let's Play on Youtube it looks like the game is also a really bad offender in the "tutorial character tells you the solution to every puzzle and won't shut the fuck up" category.

Sly 2-Ism

It could be a screen with two dots and that mothafuckin turtle would tell you ya gotta put them together to open the door or some shit.

Sciz

At a guess, Nintendo community threads don't tend to last because they tend to have good games and not much else. Not a lot of merchandising and spinoff media, little to no official interaction with the fanbases, and not much in the way of character development and worldbuilding that inspires discussion and fan content and drives fans to seek each other out. Pokemon's their only major exception.

Ah. Then wtf was up with that 30 Years Later arc, then? After the SU issues and the SSSM volume with those issues, I have to wonder what in the world they were thinking with that.
I don't know. :(

Huh, interesting that both Sega and Capcom brought it up. Didn't think they cared that much. It doesn't surprise me that Flynn was writing up concepts for it, though. Not in the slightest. MM is pretty solid, so I have to wonder if he's a bigger fan of the series than he is of Sonic sometimes.
MM only turned out as well as it did because A. Ian did a ton of research, and B. one of TMMN's admins was already a mod over on his forum. He's gone on record as saying that he always liked the series, but was never good enough at it to get very far.

I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to the Mega Man crossover; I mean, I'm not really a fan of the comics continuity, but that's most assuredly the continuity that'll be used...
The promo poster had almost entirely Sega/Capcom characters, save only for one comic-original robot master. The whole thing's only loosely in continuity anyway.

On the plus side, at least their moon is still whole, AFAIK. (Then again, so is the one in the game continuity, despite half being blown up in the past. I'd love it if they explained that detail at some point.)
Universe #41 actually depicted it as having a chunk missing. I'm pretty sure that's the first time they bothered remembering that it shouldn't be whole.

Tizoc

The Megaman/Sonic crossover may be good, Ian's writing has been solid in both comics so I expect it to deliver.

I am surprised that we don't have a Mario community thread yet.

That game does not exist.

Ah. Then wtf was up with that 30 Years Later arc, then? After the SU issues and the SSSM volume with those issues, I have to wonder what in the world they were thinking with that.

Huh, interesting that both Sega and Capcom brought it up. Didn't think they cared that much. It doesn't surprise me that Flynn was writing up concepts for it, though. Not in the slightest. MM is pretty solid, so I have to wonder if he's a bigger fan of the series than he is of Sonic sometimes.
Back during the late 90s and/or early 2000s, there was a what if story arc where Sonic becomes King and marries Sally, I don't know the exact details and I don't care as that is an era of Sonic comics I would rather not read =P
There WAS a story arc during Ian's run in the main Sonic comic taking place in that future continuity, which also takes place before the TPB you mention.
...as I keep saying if anyone wants to read the Sonic comics, start from #160 then get into Sonic Universe. Sadly Ian's run hasn't been collected outside of Genesis and the Sonic Universe TPBs, so your best bet to get #160 onwards is via getting single issues or getting them digitally from some online shops or Comixology.

Kokonoe

Banned
Almost done with Sonic Rush Adventure, and I can easily say this is a good game. It's not a spectacular game, but it is indeed a good game. I don't mind the touchscreen games, and I actually can say I like to play them. The story is fine, no issues there, and the music isn't bad either. There are a few death traps, and a few odd enemy placements, but nothing at all compared to the first Rush game. The menus are real polished and quick, while the gathering hasn't been tedious at all(which is nice unlike unleashed).

Better than Sonic 4, better than Unleashed, and I can also say I like it more than Colors Wii. I'd have to play Colors DS again to confirm if it's better, but it's certainly neck and neck with it.

Almost done with Sonic Rush Adventure, and I can easily say this is a good game. It's not a spectacular game, but it is indeed a good game. I don't mind the touchscreen games, and I actually can say I like to play them. The story is fine, no issues there, and the music isn't bad either. There are a few death traps, and a few odd enemy placements, but nothing at all compared to the first Rush game. The menus are real polished and quick, while the gathering hasn't been tedious at all(which is nice unlike unleashed).

Better than Sonic 4, better than Unleashed, and I can also say I like it more than Colors Wii. I'd have to play Colors DS again to confirm if it's better, but it's certainly neck and neck with it.

I think it's better than Colors DS by a country mile.

I've said this a lot, probably even here, once, but Colors DS to me feels like a license cash-in. Like the games they make to tie-in to kids movies or cartoons, where it's just sort "eh whatever kids will like it"

The best example I can think of is the Neversoft Spider-man games on the original Playstation, where they were a mixture of the 90's cartoon and the current state of the comics at the time. They didn't exist to tie in to any current cartoon or anything, they just existed because somebody had an idea for a Spider-man game.

Then the first Sam Raimi Spider-man Movie came out, so they needed Spider-man: The Movie: The Game. Neversoft simply took the existing engine from their PS1 Spidey games and reskinned it so it looked and sounded like the movie and put it out on the PS2/GC/Xbox. It ended up being decent if forgettable game, and a lot of that is because there was existing framework from their previous Spider-man games.

I get that same kind of feeling from Sonic Colors DS. It is like "Sonic Colors" was a TV show, and the DS game was made to cash in on it, and the only reason it was any good is because they modified an existing game people already liked.

Pietepiet

Colours DS is the worst of the three, IMO. Boring levels, ridiculously easy and why did they have to get rid of the trick system? :\

Been too long since I played Rush and Rush Adventure but Colours DS which I do own really wasn't all that, I concur with the cheap cash in vibe, visually it's really bland. The DS exclusive wisps aren't bad concepts but the implementation of both (blast and void) just lends to big stretches of sky dotted with random hazards.
And that music when you talk to side characters does my nut.

Kokonoe

Banned
From what I remember of Colors DS, it had nothing at all to aggravate the player, and I personally liked the power ups. Nothing was there to get in the way, it was pure solid gameplay which I tend to appreciate, and things didn't drag on too long.

I certainly like it more than the first Rush game which is just seething with deathpits at every level.

WillyFive

Sonic Rush was an awesome game. Only part I didn't like was that fight with Blaze/Sonic where you had to button mash the B button repeatedly.

Also, seeing Jet Set Radio in unbelievably sharp 1080p really does make me excited as to how SA2 will look.

BlackJace

Sonic Rush was an awesome game. Only part I didn't like was that fight with Blaze/Sonic where you had to button mash the B button repeatedly.

Also, seeing Jet Set Radio in unbelievably sharp 1080p really does make me excited as to how SA2 will look.

Oh god I remember that . My thumb was sore and red after that.

ShadiWulf

probably not the best place to ask this, but I'm gonna ask anyways

anyone here got a PNG version of the NiGHTS into Dreams logo? Would help me tons with the OT i need to make, tried cleaning up a logo and its not turning out too well.

Rlan

Not a PNG, but a high quality JPG which you can cut out easily. From Gamespress:

7457nights_logo.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Rush Adventure more than Rush for the same reasons you posted, Kokonoe.

At a guess, Nintendo community threads don't tend to last because they tend to have good games and not much else. Not a lot of merchandising and spinoff media, little to no official interaction with the fanbases, and not much in the way of character development and worldbuilding that inspires discussion and fan content and drives fans to seek each other out. Pokemon's their only major exception.
I can't help but to feel like it could be done with Mario because Mario's had:
- lots of games, good, okay, and bad; lots of spinoffs in many different genres
- a few cartoon series
- there was an anime in the 1980s I think
- the movie
- music
- cereal
- manga, and the comic in Nintendo Power

...At least on the part of the games and the longevity of the series, there could be some discussion for it. I guess. I don't think it'd die as fast as the other Nintendo community threads (except the Pokemon thread).

MM only turned out as well as it did because A. Ian did a ton of research, and B. one of TMMN's admins was already a mod over on his forum. He's gone on record as saying that he always liked the series, but was never good enough at it to get very far.
Geez, you'd never know it because the comics seem rather detailed. :O

Kokonoe

Banned
I like Rush Adventure more than Rush for the same reasons you posted, Kokonoe.

The game also made me see why a lot of people might like Blaze besides her character design. Sonic style gameplay with tiny differences, although, her hovering makes me wonder if she's replacing Knuckles or something, heh.

OMG Aero

Does anybody know if SA2 or NiGHTS for the matter have avatar awards on 360? JSR had them so Im thinkin sega did it for these 2 as well.
SA2 does at least, not sure about Nights.
LHuPe.png
6LkcZ.png
AO3IK.png
a6Osn.png

You get the shirt for playing for 5 hours and the shoes for playing 10 hours.

Maybe I'm forgetting what the actual shoes looked like in SA2, but those avatar ones look pretty dumb.

Kokonoe

Banned
Soaps? That's awesome.

Oh, and if you think those are bad the other Sonic shoes are worse on Xbox Avatars. Xbox Avatars doesn't have a lot of amazingly designed apparel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The better song from Annie is Hard Knock Life. C'mon. But to be fair, my favourite musicals are a cross between Phantom, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Man of La Mancha. I am also incredibly partial to Gilbert & Sullivan because the songs in those ones tend to be extremely fun to sing and act scenes out for.

Man, I haven't seen a musical in ages, so I'm not familiar with the newer ones. :lol

From what I remember of Colors DS, it had nothing at all to aggravate the player

For what it's worth, the completionist in me was a little aggravated by how much the levels were designed to limit backtracking, in some cases it seemed to actively flaunt how you missed a power-up or collectable, and it was just out of reach. The Rush games before had situations like that, but it tended to be because you couldn't conceivably get back to where you were, not because they put a thin wall up to actively block you from doing so.

AO3IK.png
a6Osn.png

Maybe I'm forgetting what the actual shoes looked like in SA2, but those avatar ones look pretty dumb.

Been a little curious if Sega outright owns Sonic's shoe design in SA2, since it was co-developed with Soap, wasn't in the PSO demo, etc. They don't seem to have a problem using it when they want to...

SA2 does at least, not sure about Nights.
LHuPe.png
6LkcZ.png
AO3IK.png
a6Osn.png

They look a bit funny up close but Im sure theyll look better when not close. Still looks better than the SA1 shoes.

I would've figured City Escape to be an easier layout considering its lack of branching paths, in modern at least. If you're talking classic then that's another kettle of fish entirely.

I would've figured City Escape to be an easier layout considering its lack of branching paths, in modern at least. If you're talking classic then that's another kettle of fish entirely.
I dunno, during the opening snowboarding segment there's several different paths you can take. I'm not even sure which one's considered the fastest.

Pietepiet

I dunno, during the opening snowboarding segment there's several different paths you can take. I'm not even sure which one's considered the fastest.

Boarding straight down is the fastest, avoiding any rails and ramps, until you get to the ramp that sends you way up to the cable grind. Boosting will shoot you OVER the cable and the roofs onto another street. That's the fastest route for the boarding section, I believe.

The one part that always gets me is the platforming after the 3D park section. Need to memorize where to boost and stomp so I can get through that in a couple seconds.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah, there's like optional grind rails in that section that are damn near impossible to hit.
Well at least it's at the start.
I still can't get to the first few ones (if you can?). The red ring one = fine. I think there's another one near the beginning that's weird and hard to get up to, iirc.

When searching for the red rings you better believe I was trying to land on all those cables, most of them are completely pointless as I hit a few at least, turns out I was looking for the ring placed over that park like area where you have to board jump off a roof or something.

I'm sad the inferior Sonic Adventure is getting a true HD port. Not sure if I'm willing to put down cash or not for it just yet. Although if there is online multiplayer...

I will simply replay the Gamecube version next week and see how well it holds up, ohohohoho it should be fun, i'll crack open a new chao egg while i'm at it, i'm sitting on a mountain of rings as it is.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't know, I've heard many people call SA2 as the start of the fan base going mad, as well as the drop of the series's quality.

I frequent Sonic forums, I've seen things much worse than here by a mile. SA2 seems like it's either a "love" or "hate" game.

Although the difference between the two (Heroes) is that Sonic Adventure 2 had a really nice engine, and was easy to complete.
except crazy gadget

I don't think many here actually hate it, it's completely middle of the road in my book with moments of fun smothered by a swathe of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom