• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, that announcement thread had a lot of people saying how it was a terrible game/"I don't know why anybody liked it".

Oh I meant here in Sonic gaf, out there is another matter entirely.
That said i'm puzzled as to its loved reputation it sometimes has.
And it along with the first SA do indeed set the series off on the slippery slope.

Kokonoe

Banned
That's not Adventure 2's fault, it's their fault. Although it makes me wonder if they cared a bit more because Sonic was on their own system at the time compared to Sonic games that came after. They all felt empty, or missing this certain "magic" that Adventure and all previous games had.

GAF already has a stigma towards Sonic games by the way. (as seen by my Sonic thread)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GAF already has a stigma towards Sonic games by the way. (as seen by my Sonic thread)
Meh, I've learned to ignore it for the most part to stop making me feel frustrated. And if I have something to say, I'll say it in here.

At least Sonic Cycle posts have seemed to cease, though the majority of those posting it don't realize that the cycle only applies to a certain subset of Sonic games. *shrug*

Kokonoe

Banned
Meh, I've learned to ignore it for the most part to stop making me feel frustrated. And if I have something to say, I'll say it in here.

At least Sonic Cycle posts have seemed to cease, though the majority of those posting it don't realize that the cycle only applies to a certain subset of Sonic games. *shrug*

When I first got on this forum and saw all the posting of it, I was actually still surprised cause it was rather late to be saying stuff like that. I just assumed people weren't paying attention to Sonic for awhile. Colors and Generations broke the mold considerably.

With as much people that like Colors, I can easily say the style of the game is more of a preference and not a bad game at all(my preference towards Unleashed/Generations), and unlike games like Unleashed or the others around that time. If only Unleashed was daytime only..

Sonic the Hedgehog was never good even back on the Genesis, all you do is hold right, man it was cool when I was a kid and didn't know any better but now it's all about bestiality, shitty friends and broken gameplay, Sega should just let Sonic die already. (which is clearly the best use of what I imagine is their best selling franchise)

Ah those Sonic threads are a real treat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
where's jman's video about holding right to win

it speaks so much truth about how crappy the series has always been

someone needs to do a hold up to win video

When I first got on this forum and saw all the posting of it, I was actually still surprised cause it was rather late to be saying stuff like that. I just assumed people weren't paying attention to Sonic for awhile. Colors and Generations broke the mold considerably.

With as much people that like Colors, I can easily say the style of the game is more of a preference and not a bad game at all(my preference towards Unleashed/Generations), and unlike games like Unleashed or the others around that time. If only Unleashed was daytime only..
People still refer to it, even up to this year.

Well, Colours sorta brought something back in terms of focusing on power-ups, so it was kinda refreshing, I guess. Plus it only starred Sonic, which was something people seemed to want. It focused more on platforming than speed as well. And 50% of Unleashed isn't going to appeal to everyone, even if it was the starting point for the current design of Sonic games. Generations seemed to be the point where people genuinely enjoyed at least parts of it. Honestly, the only place to go is up.

Tizoc

For the Sonic Adventure 2 OT subtitle I personally recommend it be a line from Live & Learn or Escape from the City.
Also, will the game have err 'dual-audio'? SA2 JPN had Japanese voices right?

Kokonoe

Banned
I like it, it shows the actual gameplay footage which is all that really concerns me. At least it's not like the FF7 trailer SE did.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The PC release date is TBD at the moment. Based on a lack of mention on the JP page, it's almost like it was a last minute decision...?

At least it's not like the FF7 trailer SE did.
Square-Enix only cares about their bullshit CG anyway. Gameplay is secondary as far as they're concerned. As long as it's pretty, that's all that matters to them.

Sega1991 said:
Sega must be really trying to save money. I could've made a better trailer in Windows Movie Maker. :p That is just the flattest, most uninspired trailer.
Video doesn't synch well with Live and Learn very much. But, iirc, Sega doesn't generally edit decent trailers, do they?

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic Adventure DX gets a bad reputation for some of the bugs it has compared to the original, but there is one thing it does much better, and that's Super Sonic.

Excuse the poor quality, I may have to run these in an emulator some day. Super Sonic in DX is more yellow than what is shown in the screenshot.

VMSKp.jpg

665q7.png

The PC release date is TBC at the moment. Based on a lack of mention on the JP page, it's almost like it was a last minute decision...?

Square-Enix only cares about their bullshit CG anyway. Gameplay is secondary as far as they're concerned. As long as it's pretty, that's all that matters to them.

Video doesn't synch well with Live and Learn very much. But, iirc, Sega doesn't generally edit decent trailers, do they?

Ah I see, well at least I know it's coming as I saw it confirmed. I suppose I'll just purchase it on a console now and get the PC (modders paradise) later. I also really dislike CG only trailers, to the point where I don't need anything fancy anymore these days. I'm just glad the game looks good and isn't the quality of the previous Sega ports.

That's a good point, I guess, but most of the oddities with trailer edits usually come from the American branch. Like that one Sonic Unleashed trailer where every time Sonic picked up a ring, whoever they had editing the video spliced in the ring loss sound. (Side note: I wish Sonic Unleashed actually ran that smoothly in that area. Ah, the extended RAM of devkits... I hope the next Xbox has some kind of cool backwards compatibility mode where old 360 games run better on the new hardware).

I was going to point to this Sonic Generations trailer as an example of "Japan doing it right" but the music isn't timed to any of the action here, either. For all intents and purposes they just dubbed over the American trailer with a different song and added Japanese text when necessary.

Jet Set Radio's PC version was also in doubt, since it was an afterthought in all the blog posts and had its release date changed to "TBA" the day before it was due.

It still came out on Steam on time.

Sega must be really trying to save money. I could've made a better trailer in Windows Movie Maker. :p That is just the flattest, most uninspired trailer.
Can't be worse than this classic... can it?

Kokonoe

Banned
Haha, SADX Super Sonic was totally the prototype for Shadow.

Actually, Sonic Adventure DX came after Sonic Adventure 2 & 2Battle. It's also the same design used in the original Adventure, just more smoothed out and detailed.

Adventure DC
Stafp.png

The Super Sonic design in the Adventure games is actually my favorite design, although they did essentially use that design's shape for Shadow so I can see why they stopped.

I suspect that they didn't want to accidentally screw up any of the scripted sections, at least in Classic Sonic's case. Dunno why they felt the need to make Modern SS lose rings at a ridiculously high rate, though.

Colors Wii definitely implemented Super Sonic better. What a nice endgame reward that was.

Speaking of Super Sonic, why did he suck so much in Generations?

Playing as Super Sonic is one of those things I think they add now because it feels like they have to for fanservice but I don't think they actually understand what makes Super Sonic "cool".

There's no sense of accomplishment for acquiring Super Sonic anymore, and depending on the game, Super Sonic is either really super boring (just infinite boost) or crazy obnoxious (when they try and attach weird mechanics to him or put him in situations where he's useless). There aren't nearly enough rings in most Sonic Generations levels to maintain Super Sonic, and Modern Super Sonic in particular burns through rings at an alarming rate - most levels don't seem to contain more than 200 rings total, and Modern Super Sonic will eat through 100 rings in 5-10 seconds if you're using boost a lot.

So Super Sonic is just "there", but you didn't go through anything challenging to get him, and the form isn't something you use a lot because there's more useful and more powerful equip loadouts you can put on Sonic.

Plus, the idea of Super Sonic in general is just starting to get old. Spoiler for how every mainline Sonic game since S3&K ends: Sonic uses the chaos emeralds to transform in to Super Sonic and then plays an annoying minigame to beat the final boss.

I think Sonic Colors is the one time that doesn't happen, though there could be arguments made on whether or not that is a mainline game and whether or not they actually had a Super Sonic section planned (the DS version has one, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wii version did at one point, too, and they just ran out of time and couldn't include it).

Super Sonic's theme needs to stop being so short.

I say go the Yoshi Route. Super Sonic modifies existing music, not replaces it. Sonic Generations was kind of already doing that - some stages have a "speedy" mix that plays only when you're boosting, but it's only ever really used in handful of stages near the beginning of the game (probably ran out of time to do it on the rest of the levels).

Sciz

The problem with Super Sonic is that they already gave Sonic just about everything that made going Super cool in the first place. High speeds? Check. The ability to charge straight through everything? Check. Instant acceleration? Yep. And higher jumping, when they remember it, is pretty much inconsequential thanks to the level designs.

They need to either tone Sonic back down or figure out how to make Super even more overpowered.

The levels are bigger and larger now, make him just as crazy fast. When I play Super Sonic, I want him to be as uncontrollable as possible...that's kind of the fun of it.

And I still like the Super Sonic jingle from Sonic 2 the best...followed up by Sonic 3 (Which used the invincibility tune but I liked it all the same)

TheOGB

Banned
The problem with Super Sonic is that they already gave Sonic just about everything that made going Super cool in the first place. High speeds? Check. The ability to charge straight through everything? Check. Instant acceleration? Yep. And higher jumping, when they remember it, is pretty much inconsequential thanks to the level designs.

They need to either tone Sonic back down or figure out how to make Super even more overpowered.
I agree. For the kind of game Sonic is now, Super does seem pretty useless.

And I like the Sonic Rush model for Super Sonic because it's basically the SA1 DC (or Sonic Shuffle :p) model

I think they kind of did that in Generations with the way Super Sonic flies over everything, but that just makes levels boring and you never have enough rings to enjoy it. But I think the flight has something to it - maybe if there was a "Super Sonic Path" where you just move impossibly fast (like so fast you'd never manage manual steering) but the game kind of auto-steers for you, at least a little bit?

It sounds lame, but it would be a Super-Sonic-only kind of thing. I dunno.

I'd take a somewhat redundant Super Sonic that's playable in levels versus having him relegated to a shitty and/or way too easy final level like nearly every game post S3&K.

Doomsday Zone was the only one that really did that right, in my opinion. Probably has more to do with it being built up pretty well, though.

I'd take a somewhat redundant Super Sonic that's playable in levels versus having him relegated to a shitty and/or way too easy final level like nearly every game post S3&K.

Doomsday Zone was the only one that really did that right, in my opinion. Probably has more to do with it being built up pretty well, though.

It was also a surprise. "What? Whoa! Holy shit! I'm flying!"

Now you kind of count on it and most of the time it's weird and not very fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was going to suggest Unleashed in terms of how it used Super Sonic in the last portion but now I'm not so sure because the only thing you do is hit things with it and boost around a shield.

I have to agree, though. Super Sonic doesn't really have the same effect in the current games because it feels like a fanservicey add-on with little change to the playstyle aside from immortality and keeping note of your ring count. There should be a good reason to use it besides an easier way of getting a trophy/achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom