• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Banned
I think they kind of did that in Generations with the way Super Sonic flies over everything, but that just makes levels boring and you never have enough rings to enjoy it. But I think the flight has something to it - maybe if there was a "Super Sonic Path" where you just move impossibly fast (like so fast you'd never manage manual steering) but the game kind of auto-steers for you, at least a little bit?

It sounds lame, but it would be a Super-Sonic-only kind of thing. I dunno.

i think that if they wanted to keep it in, this is how they should do it. make it so fast that you don't even care that you can no longer actually control the character.

as the year gets closer to an end, i'm starting to think that the reboot speculation is more and more likely. shouldn't we have heard something by now?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, they aren't going to put out a Sonic game every year. ASR:T, SA2 HD, and Sonic 4: Episode 2 are our games this year. Sega's broke, man. We got 2006 in 2006, Unleashed in 2008, Colours in 2010, and Generations in 2011 going by the mainline ones.

I'm happy this is the way it is otherwise I'd be saying something about brand overuse (even if there are some non-mainline ones in the years between like the Storybook games, the Rush games, etc.).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That review still has me laughing to this day. Fuck colour! Games aren't supposed to have an array of colours. Sonic Generations and a buncha platformer games did it completely wrong! Worst games this gen.

btw, I can't get Knight of the Wind out of my head. It's too catchy for its own good. D:

Kokonoe

Banned
That review still has me laughing to this day. Fuck colour! Games aren't supposed to have an array of colours. Sonic Generations and a buncha platformer games did it completely wrong! Worst games this gen.

btw, I can't get Knight of the Wind out of my head. It's too catchy for its own good. D:

I think my favorite parts are the
whole "loony toon sonic", and how shadow would have made the game "hardcore".
So good.

That's because it is the catchiest~ I actually first heard it in Sonic Generations, and I like it a lot. It's possibly the only reason I'm ever going to play the Black Knight some day.

Kokonoe

Banned
^ That's why I have youtube comments disabled haha.

Actually, my favorite part is when he says "Then all of the sudden, Final Fantasy comes out of nowhere and murders all the mouseketeers." Literally dead from that.

I always kind of wanted to see a fight where Sonic starts out Super, but then the boss knocks him out of it and he has to fight him as normal Sonic.

This was before Unleashed used this premise in its intro, mind.

Controversial opinion of the day: I don't much care for Super Sonic. Not in regular gameplay nor in the "oh shit epic final boss time" that stopped being cool after S3&K. Sonic games are easy/short enough as it is, and I don't find having God Mode on makes them more fun. Nor the repetitive Super Sonic theme that replaces the superior stage music.

BlackJace

Controversial opinion of the day: I don't much care for Super Sonic. Not in regular gameplay nor in the "oh shit epic final boss time" that stopped being cool after S3&K. Sonic games are easy/short enough as it is, and I don't find having God Mode on makes them more fun. Nor the repetitive Super Sonic theme that replaces the superior stage music.

It's a reward though. Collecting the emeralds was a bitch, and it was a nice treat to be able to blast through stages like a badass as SS.

I do agree about the arbitrary SS final bosses that are being shat out in modern titles. With the Adventure and S3&K, it was a part of the story, whereas the modern titles it felt shoehorned in at the last minute. (fucking Generations)

Super Sonic itself has always been pretty lame to me for actual in game use.
It's kind of like the sort of thing Mario games give you in place of the superguide these days except you have to earn the right to cheese the game by going through the bonus stages and i'm sure we all know at this point that I don't care for most of those bonus stages.

And even then it eats your rings so you've got this risk/reward mechanic that doesn't actually come across too well in stages where you have slow sections where ring collecting take a backseat to waiting.

I actually really like Sonic R. I love how many intersecting paths there are throughout the entire track, for pretty much every stage except Radiant Emerald. Granted, there's generally only one "ideal" path through each stage, but still, it's impressive to go through your first couple of times. Also loved the character variety, and how they worked in the existing character mechanics like flying and gliding to their respective characters - although this, too, winds up woefully imbalanced, especially once you start unlocking the secret characters who so outclass the stock characters that playing with them in single-player pits you against your fellow secret racers instead of the original set.

Will agree with the controlling like ass, though. Like, if you're treating it like a driving game, where you pretty much can only go forward, it's okay... but when you want to stop and go in reverse, meet the world's slowest turning speed!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've heard quite a bit of bad things about Sonic R, is it that bad?
I loved it, but keep in mind this was during the first year or so that I really got to play video games after my parents started seeing them as not evil, so I would have loved just about anything.

Sciz

I've heard quite a bit of bad things about Sonic R, is it that bad?

It's pretty broken as a racing game, but once you get a grip on the mechanics, it's fun to time attack your own records. The course design was done by Yasuhara, so it's pretty fun to just play through it a few times over to discover all the different routes.

And then there's the music, which wins the game a place in the annals of history on its own.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drinking or playing the game with a bunch of friends will perhaps be the best way to get through it.

Unless you're this guy and you really really end up liking it and start comparing the physics to other games. Or something.

(btw, has anyone in here played Tokyo Jungle? The GB QL mostly sold it on me, but I'm still wondering about the gameplay and stuff, whether it's repetitive or not. I trust you people, etc. I know Billiechu has.)

OMG Aero

So 2K6 really had its own HUELEN-like defender here?
Everything has crazy defenders on the internet.
In fact let's play a little game, take a look at these Youtube comments:

YP67c.jpg

Now guess at what they are commenting on.
When you are done click here and find out.

Everything has crazy defenders on the internet.
In fact let's play a little game, take a look at these Youtube comments:

YP67c.jpg

Now guess at what they are commenting on.
When you are done click here and find out.
Damn, I'd guessed 2K6.

Yeah, everything has its crazy defenders on the Internet, but I was speaking more specifically of on NeoGAF.

I didn't even realize that guy existed. I thought she was linking to a post of Anth0ny's where he claims the game isn't so bad. So 2K6 really had its own HUELEN-like defender here?

Dude was crazy delusional, and also crazy. He sincerely believed that Sonic 2K6 had better physics than Half-Life 2.

Poor Mael. He nearly sacrificed his soul to document Sonic 2K6, and yet people still don't believe him that the game is bad.

TheOGB

Banned
Tomorrow I experience Sonic 2006...err or later today that is...

Help...
Don't do any more than you can handle. The 'SonicGAF Badge of Bravery' isn't worth your sanity.

Dude was crazy delusional, and also crazy. He sincerely believed that Sonic 2K6 had better physics than Half-Life 2.

Poor Mael. He nearly sacrificed his soul to document Sonic 2K6, and yet people still don't believe him that the game is bad.
RIP Mael, wherever you at

qq more

Just a thought, what if the possible positive reception SA2 HD gets convinces SEGA that they can still make terribad stories and get away with it? :V :V :V :V :V :V

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it but I can honestly see Iizuka doing this.

Drago

Just a thought, what if the possible positive reception SA2 HD gets convinces SEGA that they can still make terribad stories and get away with it? :V :V :V :V :V :V

Maybe he'll make a Sonic Adventure 3?

I'd come up with a witty, terrible made-up story but I'm no good at making those

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic is missing, you play as Tails Knux and Amy until halfway through where you recruit Shadow, then play as him until the last 2 stages when you finally find and save Sonic from depression

Sonic Adventure 3's plot would be that the Time Eater's antics caused unexpected consequences and now space and time are warping and Shadow's Chaos Control is the key to fixing everything.

The game ends with Shadow doing the biggest, most powerful Chaos Control possible, and he's once again presumed dead - but the (now standard?) post-credits sequence suggests he's still alive.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Adventure 3's plot would be that the Time Eater's antics caused unexpected consequences and now space and time are warping and Shadow's Chaos Control is the key to fixing everything.

The game ends with Shadow doing the biggest, most powerful Chaos Control possible, and he's once again presumed dead - but the (now standard?) post-credits sequence suggests he's still alive.
If anything about the next plot is definitive in my head, it's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom