• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic Adventure 3's plot would be that the Time Eater's antics caused unforeseen consequences and now space and time are warping and Shadow's Chaos Control is the key to fixing everything.
Fixed.

11508-gman_large.jpg

The funny part is that directly after writing my post I walked away from the computer to do some other stuff and it ran through my head "Did I write 'unforeseen consequences'? I should've written 'unforeseen consequences'."

And then I proceeded to have an internal monologue about how cool it would be if the big reveal in Half-Life was that everybody knew they were in a videogame and that is how the G-Man could reveal a HL1 chapter title to another character and have it be this big dramatic moment like the other character knew it was a HL1 chapter title

Wow not loving the CGI for this...Elise has super twiggy limbs...

Umm several minutes in...why am I in this super awful hub world, with terrible looking levels? Why am I not running through some easy tropical level? Man Sonic's running animation looks like garbage...camera is super disorientating...

Tails, you sound soooo dumb...

Okay we finally get to a level after all of that silliness...music is nice...control of Sonic...NOT NICE! I'm fighting the controls and the camera and I've lost more lives in this first level than I did in all of the entry levels of a Sonic game...combined! And Tails moves...like molasses.

This game sucks.

How long will I last? Who knows...I don't drink so maybe not for long.

Umm several minutes in...why am I in this super awful hub world, with terrible looking levels?

Because fans wanted the Adventure Fields back. Sonic 06 is Iizuka-sama giving the 3D generation of Sonic fans everything they wanted.

Yes I know he wasn't responsible for the game, but he makes a fun and convenient scapegoat.

Well it's official...this is the first official AWFUL game I've ever played. Only game that ticked me off close to this was Rogue Galaxy. I'm not going to last...

And yes, I'm sick of that loading stage. I swear sports games on TV move faster...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PS3 version is the most definitive version. That's why I bought it.*

...used... and I only have a PS3 out of the HD systems anyway...

tiggerkiddo said:
Okay we finally get to a level after all of that silliness...music is nice...control of Sonic...NOT NICE! I'm fighting the controls and the camera and I've lost more lives in this first level than I did in all of the entry levels of a Sonic game...combined! And Tails moves...like molasses.

This game sucks.

How long will I last? Who knows...I don't drink so maybe not for long.
If you think the first portion of the game (and Sonic's Story!) is terrible, I can't see you lasting for that long. :lol When If you unlock Silver, try some of his story out if you can.

I don't drink much either, but I ended up drinking more than I wanted to on New Year's so Beef gave me the most brilliant suggestion of playing the game drunk. I thought the beginning of the game was pretty decent while under the influence. :p

Save your game, theres no autosave and all first timers get a game over by Wave Ocean meaning you'll need to repeat- ehh its probably too late.

Also: billiard puzzle, Trials of Soleanna, and the End of the World. These three phrases will haunt you until the day you die.
if you get that far

oh and TAKE THIS, and ITS NO JUICE

Emitan

Save your game, theres no autosave and all first timers get a game over by Wave Ocean meaning you'll need to repeat- ehh its probably too late.

Also: billiard puzzle, Trials of Soleanna, and the End of the World. These three phrases will haunt you until the day you die.
if you get that far

oh and TAKE THIS, and ITS NO JUICE

I beat the billaird puzzle my first time playing the game in about 10 minutes. Second time I did that level I just glitched it which took longer but was less frustrating.

"Welp, cleaning's done. Keep brushing and flossing, at least twice a day. Oh, and I have one recommendation for your diet."
"And that is?"
"It's 'no juice'. Take this."
"A toothbrush? But I already have one. Several, even. I'll pass."
"Well, okay then. See you in a few months."

Pietepiet

Hey guys,

figured this is the best place to post this on GAF:

http://segazine.tumblr.com/

I just launched SEGAZine with Ashley Davis, Corey Lewis and Ted Martens! It's going to be a black and white zine about everything SEGA. We will be accepting submissions until November 1st, so show us that SEGA love! :)

Kokonoe

Banned
Well it's official...this is the first official AWFUL game I've ever played. Only game that ticked me off close to this was Rogue Galaxy. I'm not going to last...

And yes, I'm sick of that loading stage. I swear sports games on TV move faster...

Just think, a lot of us have actually beat it. Those besides myself have actually beat it more than once.(you won't get me to do that) It truly is a horror story, a new evil at every turn and none of them are bad guys. It only gets worse and worse, it gets so bad that it makes the beginning look great.

Good thing it came out of my pocket and not yours, I'm sure that would have fueled your flames even more. As Schala mentioned, when you get to Silver, that's when it becomes hell beyond hell.

Kokonoe

Banned
What do I get for beating the game THRICE? AND I played through Shadow's story on Very Hard.

Back when I use to be a lot more "hardcore" than I am now, I barely managed to get through the game once. I actually looked at youtube video for the Silver/Blaze fight with the fire thing as I got confused at a certain point. (I mention this because I use to strongly refuse looking at guides while playing games)

I played Shadow recently and got right up to the last level or before the last level, and that area was just deathtrap after deathtrap and I decided to stop. Most likely would have continued if I still played games that I didn't like, or had the motivation to beat said games.

In other words, stop torturing yourself.

BlackJace

I did feel dirty after the deeds.
Back when I use to be a lot more "hardcore" than I am now, I barely managed to get through the game once. I actually looked at youtube video for the Silver/Blaze fight with the fire thing as I got confused at a certain point. (I mention this because I use to strongly refuse looking at guides while playing games)

I played Shadow recently and got right up to the last level or before the last level, and that area was just deathtrap after deathtrap and I decided to stop. Most likely would have continued if I still played games that I didn't like, or had the motivation to beat said games.

In other words, stop torturing yourself.

I don't even own a 360 anymore, which was the console I played it on, so I'll most likely never be playing it again :p

Man this Sonic 2 Adventure HD download is big. I'll try out the demo first once it finishes downloading to see if I want to bother dropping the ten bucks on it.

How in the world are there 400 something rings in City Escape?! Sonic has a dopey voice but the game sure is looking and controls great in HD.

Darryl

Banned
Hey guys,

I just launched SEGAZine with Ashley Davis, Corey Lewis and Ted Martens! It's going to be a black and white zine about everything SEGA. We will be accepting submissions until November 1st, so show us that SEGA love! :)

oh sweet, looks nice. should consider adding a newsletter subscription button or something when you advertise like this, or i don't know if that's still standard practice anymore. easy to forget stuff like this when it's so far away.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
(Baw... I'm supposed to be in a lab so I can't even download anything cool until I get home. This suuuucks. Zero Escape demo gets priority though. :p)

Hey guys,

Nice idea, and if you think it's possible, you should probably try to post it in the SA2 and NiGHTS OTs if you're allowed to. I think you'd get a larger pool of people in Gaming side than you would in community.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why are you doing this to yourself?

I decided not to platinum Sonic Unleashed for a reason and the Hot Dog Missions were part of that reason, lol. I knew they'd make me hate the game, especially those in Eggmanland.

SpikedGunner said:
So the History of Sonic has been delayed to December, though it is for quality reasons as UDON re-translated the book since they saw from fan feedback that the original writing felt stiff. This will also be the only version available internationally in English.
I still can't wait to get it. I would definitely get the French version, but that might be pricey to import...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I bet some people like the stage for the music alone and not necessarily because of the gameplay. :p

It seems a lot of people realized SA2 hasn't aged that well. I hope this means less demand for SA3!
I doubt this will interfere with Iizuka's grand plans for Sonic.

Nert

Like I said in the other thread, City Escape is very well designed. I really like how Generations took that and made it better.

The Classic Sonic skateboard powerup is really clever, too.

But yeah, I'm happy that (most) people seem to agree that past handful of Sonic titles are an improvement over the Adventure stuff. The focus on just playing as Sonic has done a lot make recent titles feel tighter and less bloated, and just about everything else has improved, too. The soundtracks are better, the art direction is wonderful, the level design has improved significantly, the mechanics are more refined and less prone to bugs, the stories are less appalling, and so on. If I had more confidence in Sega as a company, I'd be really excited about the current trajectory of the series.

Kokonoe

Banned
It seems a lot of people realized SA2 hasn't aged that well. I hope this means less demand for SA3!

GAF is a vocal minority, so I wouldn't count on it. There is still enough demand for it to this day, there is a 254 page thread on the official SEGA forum that got stickied because so many SA3 threads would happen.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I had more confidence in Sega as a company, I'd be really excited about the current trajectory of the series.
I think I have more confidence in Sega than I do most companies lately. They didn't start off the gen strong, but they've made up for it.

Meanwhile, Konami doesn't know how to develop games anymore, Capcom went from Capgod to Capcpom, and Square-Enix is "lol, I dunnoooooooooo" and as of late, seems to like to pretend that we're stuck in the 1980s/1990s version of the Internet with 56K modems where most people didn't know about the existence of some Japan-only games.

If there's anything I could take away from this gen it's that I've become far more jaded about games in general for various reasons...

Only company that has somewhat disappoint me would be Capcom. Sega brought out Sonic Generations so we're good for now.

Anywho...I got a rude awakening as a kid when I tried to beat Sonic 2's final boss with Knuckles. Just how hard is it to beat him with Knuckles?

I don't even know what Konami's deal is these days, talk about falling off the map, I can't even count on them for a steady flow of handheld Igavania games any more, dark times.
Kojima this and Kojima that, yeah this doesn't help anything.

Capcom are a rollercoaster of highs and lows and currently the rollercoaster is malfunctioning to boot, the games still aimed at Japan like AA5 and MH4 look great, the games designed to cater towards the west are mostly worrying, they don't quite "get" the west i'm thinking and their bizarre point of view is not turning out to well for game quality.

Not sure how I feel about Sega, they've got Sonic going well at the moment but those money issues are making them a bit risk averse it seems right now, so HD "remakes" for all to enjoy plus the four franchise fiesta seems to be the current plan which is passable I guess if not very exciting.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Konami disbanded all of their important teams therefore they were worthless to me. KojiPro is the only one there developing games. The last Suikoden game was super-low budget and it really showed, even though it had some great ideas which should be implemented in future titles. But, lol, Konami doesn't care about that IP anymore. They care about it as much as they care about Goemon.

Fucking Konami. Non-entity this entire generation because they forgot how to develop games. Someone threw out all of their manuals except for KojiPro's. And where the heck have Naoki Maeda and Tak Fujii been when they filmed their E3 conferences? They need to feature them more. :v

Is Capcom still doing that thing where they're trying really really really hard to cater to the west but it isn't succeeding?

tiggerkiddo said:
Anywho...I got a rude awakening as a kid when I tried to beat Sonic 2's final boss with Knuckles. Just how hard is it to beat him with Knuckles?
Kokonoe made a video demonstrating how to do it.
Here, I made a video for SonicGAF with the most simple way of doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evgJoImlNkg

Konami disbanded all of their important teams therefore they were worthless to me. KojiPro is the only one there developing games. The last Suikoden game was super-low budget and it really showed, even though it had some great ideas which should be implemented in future titles. But, lol, Konami doesn't care about that IP anymore. They care about it as much as they care about Goemon.

Fucking Konami. Non-entity this entire generation because they forgot how to develop games. Someone threw out all of their manuals except for KojiPro's. And where the heck have Naoki Maeda and Tak Fujii been when they filmed their E3 conferences? They need to feature them more. :v

Is Capcom still doing that thing where they're trying really really really hard to cater to the west but it isn't succeeding?

The idea that they genuinely forgot how to make games does make some sense considering their dismal output, no wonder they lobbed Castlevania off to mecurysteam.

Capcom are totally still doing that thing, I think they tried it recently with some big game, Resident something or other.

qq more

It is amazing how awful well loved Japanese devs have become fucking shitty and unlovable pieces of shit this gen. Yes, that even includes SEGA (but I'd put them far above Capcom/Konami now) Nah, wait. Sega became shitty halfway through last gen.

RobbieNick

It is amazing how awful well loved Japanese devs have become fucking shitty and unlovable pieces of shit this gen. Yes, that even includes SEGA (but I'd put them far above Capcom/Konami now) Nah, wait. Sega became shitty halfway through last gen.

Nah. They were shitty from 2005-2009 and have been steadily improving since.

Preview pages for Sonic #242 are in. It's a special Olympic issue that's non-cannon and only features the video game characters. Also, it's more campy and comical in the vein of the Sonic X comic.

http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/sonic2421.html

Sciz

Preview pages for Sonic #242 are in. It's a special Olympic issue that's non-cannon and only features the video game characters. Also, it's more campy and comical in the vein of the Sonic X comic.
ehhhhhhhhh.

Yeah, the Sonic X comparison is apt, all the way down to Eggman committing goofy crimes in paper-thin disguises. The problem is, that comic was only genuinely entertaining when it was busy being completely insane, and this couldn't be setting up for a "real super power of teamwork" ending any harder if it tried. Here's hoping I'm wrong and it picks up as it goes.

I hate that we're losing a month to this and the S&ASRT issue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh lawd, I had to clean out the fridge just to put Sonic Adventure 2 on there (and I was joking when I'd said it previously!). It must be a warning sign. And NiGHTS went on there just fine!

Thank goodness for PS+, a USB stick, and cloud saves (and being able to download most of the games I'd previously purchased if they're still on the store) otherwise I'd be more irritated. Also, I realized that the install data for End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate was, like, 5 GB or something. wtf, fix this shit SEGA/Tri-Ace.

qq more said:
It is amazing how awful well loved Japanese devs have become fucking shitty and unlovable pieces of shit this gen.
Nintendo and Falcom seem to be okay. I think gaming side disliked Atlus for a while.

...No, wait, Nintendo got criticized a lot this gen too. >.>

ehhhhhhhhh.

Yeah, the Sonic X comparison is apt, all the way down to Eggman committing goofy crimes in paper-thin disguises. The problem is, that comic was only genuinely entertaining when it was busy being completely insane, and this couldn't be setting up for a "real super power of teamwork" ending any harder if it tried. Here's hoping I'm wrong and it picks up as it goes.
Well, don't they have to run the story by SEGA first or am I misunderstanding it? If that's the case Flynn probably couldn't have done a lot of the wacky stuff he probably would have done in a Sonic X style if they wouldn't approve of it. Would he have to use the characters from the game, specifically or their game personalities in these issues first and foremost?

...man, I wish they would release the Sonic X issues in volumes. They'd be much easier to find. >_<

Yeah, Capcom's done some awful stuff this gen, but the really crazy thing about it is (more often than not) they still manage to put out products of respectable quality. UMvC3, Ghost Trick, TatsuCap and Resident Evil Revelations are some of my favorite games this generation. (And I hear Dragon's Dogma is pretty good, although it's not really my kind of game) And of course there's Ace Attorney 5, although I'm a little less worried about that considering it's one of the only Capcom franchises left with a good portion of it's original team still intact.

And Sega's been slowly digging themselves out of that pre-2010 hole with Colors/Generations and a consistent string of excellent digital releases (Monster World IV, Sonic CD, friggin' Daytona, etc.) Too bad their financial situation sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom