• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
As underwhelming as that game turned out along with the on disc DLC fiasco I wouldn't say SFxT did that much damage to Capcom's name, I mean it's not a victim of western pandering at least, I think that bothers people far more.
I know it bothers me at least.

UMvC3 sort of fell into a grey area I think, like the earthquake bungled the initial dlc plans and in the end a lower priced follow up was a better option? don't trust me on that however as it's probably Capcom spinning lies, i'm one of the suckers that got both but honestly it never really bothered me, such is the power of adding Phoenix Wright I guess.

I know the Marvel VS Capcom 3 twice in one year while making it disc only and not DLC for the first game was bad.

But they all ate it up anyway, so what's the fucking difference? I didn't buy their bullshit "Ultimate" (read: finished) version, they already got my money, they ain't getting any more. But the people who "care" whined and bought it anyway. All the rage about that was ridiculous.

At least SFxT got denied.

qq more

Nintendo and Falcom seem to be okay. I think gaming side disliked Atlus for a while.

...No, wait, Nintendo got criticized a lot this gen too. >.>

I never count Nintendo for some reason. I just see them as something more than just Japanese devs. Their games are fantastic but... yeah they do stupid bullshit every now and then I guess. But ehhhh I'm fine with Nintendo. Falcom I can't comment because I barely played their games (I need to get into Ys already)

Sciz

Well, don't they have to run the story by SEGA first or am I misunderstanding it? If that's the case Flynn probably couldn't have done a lot of the wacky stuff he probably would have done in a Sonic X style if they wouldn't approve of it. Would he have to use the characters from the game, specifically or their game personalities in these issues first and foremost?
Given that this issue was mandated by Sega and features the Olympic logo, it's quite likely that the script had to play it pretty safe. And these "Another Time, Another Place" stories are always game-focused, so characters/personalities/etc. are straight SegaSonic.

All the more reason why I always wonder what people are thinking when they say the book should be rebooted as a pure Sega affair. Twenty years on from the original American spinoffs and you'd still have trouble writing an ongoing series that stuck strictly to game canon.

...man, I wish they would release the Sonic X issues in volumes. They'd be much easier to find. >_<
There are only specific issues really worth reading, but those are probably the hardest ones to get a hold of by extension.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know the Marvel VS Capcom 3 twice in one year while making it disc only and not DLC for the first game was bad.
I think that was one of the first things that had irritated me. Didn't buy UMvC3 at all, and didn't bother with new iterations of SF4. SFxT was that bad, huh?

No BoF6, no Mega Man 11/X9, no local/online multi Power Stone at all this gen, still a little bit sore about DmC but might try out a demo if they put one on the shop, no new Onimusha game worth noting and that browser game doesn't count, last two Ghosts'n Goblins games are on iOS only, etc. They treat a lot of their other IPs like dirt, including their former star IP. Capcom's made my eyes roll more often than not this gen.

Given that this issue was mandated by Sega and features the Olympic logo, it's quite likely that the script had to play it pretty safe. And these "Another Time, Another Place" stories are always game-focused, so characters/personalities/etc. are straight SegaSonic.

All the more reason why I always wonder what people are thinking when they say the book should be rebooted as a pure Sega affair. Twenty years on from the original American spinoffs and you'd still have trouble writing an ongoing series that stuck strictly to game canon.
I feel like it would be boring if they went straight for the game stuff. And if it were a pure Sega affair, we'd probably get some storylines introduced that we probably wouldn't like depending on what the higher-ups from SEGA feel like saying the story should be like. Depends also if they're getting notices from Sega America (probably loopy stuff) or Sega Japan (probably loopier stuff).

Yeah, that was pretty bad. But I still enjoyed the first iteration enough that I didn't mind paying for the second one, especially considering the lower price.

SFxT was all kinds of retarded, though. Glad I skipped on that.

OMG Aero

UMvC3 sort of fell into a grey area I think, like the earthquake bungled the initial dlc plans and in the end a lower priced follow up was a better option? don't trust me on that however as it's probably Capcom spinning lies, i'm one of the suckers that got both but honestly it never really bothered me, such is the power of adding Phoenix Wright I guess.
Yeah, it probably effects me less since I got MvC3 as a birthday present and then got UMvC3 with Christmas money so I didn't technically spend any money on them but the inclusion of Phoenix Wright was enough of a sweetener for me to not feel bad about it.

I played the demo and that was more than enough to scare me away, in fact I only played the Leon section before immediately deleting the accursed content from my console.

Yeah, I played the demo, and after the ridiculous car QTE in Leon's section and... well, pretty much everything in Chris' section, I just gave up.

I think them actually bowing to dumb-ass fans and putting Phoenix Wright into their fucking fighting game sums up Capcom at the moment. Seriously, I was all for that at that time, but the more I think about it the more it's so god damn stupid!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It has some staunch defenders though I tell you that.

That review thread is hilarious.
You should know from your time on GAF and in certain threads that everything has a defense force.

Even Sonic 2006.

I think them actually bowing to dumb-ass fans and putting Phoenix Wright into their fucking fighting game sums up Capcom at the moment. Seriously, I was all for that at that time, but the more I think about it the more it's so god damn stupid!
???

Basically, Capcom's decisions seem so much of the time motivated by doing the most safe fan-servicey things. Things that make Capcom fans go "oh snap!", but really, are they that daring? None of it's exactly ground-breaking, when you look at it.

Brute-forcing Phoenix into a fighter, because some fans said it'd be weird or whatever; RE6 still involving Umbrella and Weskers, because they think that's what Resi fans are into (and sadly are probably somewhat right); hell, a small part of me thinks that AA5 is only being made because a man in a suit decided it'd be cheap enough and the level of fan interest had gotten high enough for it to work, so make it so!

It's a problem- instead of looking for the easiest way to amp up a fan-base, they should have a god-damn vision. I feel like only the MH team has that at the moment, ridiculously.

(forgive my rants, I'm in that kinda mood)

Too bad that all MH threads are set around the backdrop of texture torment and platform perils instead of the actual game half the time.

But about the MvC3 thing, well the game itself isn't exactly made to be ground breaking, it's a fan service fighter surely so supplying the characters fans want seems to be a logical idea in that case, plus you got some characters put in because of what their playstyle could offer as well so the choices were sort of balanced among moveset potential and fan base desire....except Mega Man because Capcom.
Had no idea of the RE6 stuff, so they're carrying on that not so epic plotline, oh the hilarity.

I do feel AA5 chickened out a bit with the use of Wright, i'm all up for a properly fresh start like Apollo was supposed to be, alas it seems people are desperate to see all the older guys turn up over and over, AAI showed me this does not make for much entertainment.

Basically, Capcom's decisions seem so much of the time motivated by doing the most safe fan-servicey things. Things that make Capcom fans go "oh snap!", but really, are they that daring? None of it's exactly ground-breaking, when you look at it.

Brute-forcing Phoenix into a fighter, because some fans said it'd be weird or whatever; RE6 still involving Umbrella and Weskers, because they think that's what Resi fans are into (and sadly are probably somewhat right); hell, a small part of me thinks that AA5 is only being made because a man in a suit decided it'd be cheap enough and the level of fan interest had gotten high enough for it to work, so make it so!

It's a problem- instead of looking for the easiest way to amp up a fan-base, they should have a god-damn vision. I feel like only the MH team has that at the moment, ridiculously.

(forgive my rants, I'm in that kinda mood)

Well in the case of Phoenix, it doesn't really bother me because Marvel's a ridiculous fan-servicey game in the first place. Doesn't make sense to make a crossover fighter if you're going to put in a bunch of characters people don't want.

Agreed on the other cases of pandering, though. I think the lack of vision thing kind of goes for most Japanese pubs/devs this gen. (Huh, guess the discussion came full circle there.)

Apollo was a terrible character anyways. Not so much because I thought that Phoenix was amazing, but because of the writing and the general way they handled him in his game. I don't blame people for wanting Phoenix back, but I also don't blame people for wanting Apollo to get a second chance.

I need to PM ScraftyDevil to hurry up and give me that last piece of info for the Ace Attorney Community thread already. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Do I need to ask about the avatar trend this time?

I hate to say it, but that's how I feel about some of the stuff Square-Enix (especially in their attempt to throw everything into a game including the kitchen sink from dialogue options to QTEs, etc in order to try to pander to almost effing everyone when really they should just be doing whatever they feel is right with regards to game design instead of this focus group bullshit) and Namco (well, with Tales and some other Namco properties, it's super-blatant) are doing.

A lot of Japanese developers outside of a few seem to lack some sort of spark or vision, I guess. I can't but to feel like the end product is the direct result of "workworkwork gotta make sure the player's satisfied boss is satisfied because we put all that shit on the whiteboard he wanted us to put into the game even if it doesn't jive well with the rest of the game gotta reach out to a wider audience by putting all this stuff in there revenue dlc etc" rather than just going out and being creative with your game. In that respect, I admire Nintendo for at least trucking along not giving a shit about what focus groups or other people think with regards to standard games design.

I realise I'm doing a terrible job at explaining my feelings here, but even for what the Vs. series is, Nick felt like a bridge too far. I know characters like Vergil, Sentinel and Amaterasu showed up because of fan-demand, but those at least make perfect sense from the off- Phoenix is a bit different.

I'll put it this way- it'd be kinda neat to see Tom Nook in a Smash Bros. game, just because I like Animal Crossing, but Nintendo would never do it because Tom Nook doesn't fight. It doesn't fit his character. If he did turn up, I'd feel like they just did it because the fans asked for it a bunch. It doesn't feel genuine.

Capcom doesn't feel genuine anymore, basically. Indeed, the vision is gone, replaced by, yeah, pandering.

To be fair, some of the Capcom guys wanted Phoenix in since TvC, but they couldn't think of a way to make him work.

GAF help me, I have a craving to play Sonic Heroes.

To be fair, some of the Capcom guys wanted Phoenix in since TvC, but they couldn't think of a way to make him work.

GAF help me, I have a craving to play Sonic Heroes.

Don't make me find my run through from last year, you can see my gradual decline in enjoyment to pure rage quitting at the end.

Soul Calibur V
I still feel ripped off, but I think the gameplay itself was pretty solid and that's really what counts.

Speaking of SA2, the homing attack is far more wonky than I remembered, and Mad Space one of the worst experiences I've had with the series as a whole. Worst impulse buy ever.

Oh, yeah, that is true. I guess they got bullied into making it work. :p

The alternative idea back then for Tatsunoko was Franziska von Karma I believe since she had her whip and an aggressive nature already but if anything i'd have felt pissed if she got in before the main man regardless of his bumbling moveset.
Or it's just because I don't care much for Franny to begin with.

The alternative idea back then for Tatsunoko was Franziska von Karma I believe since she had her whip and an aggressive nature already but if anything i'd have felt pissed if she got in before the main man regardless of his bumbling moveset.

Yeah, that's right, and that would have been genuinely inspired. It also would have fit amazingly well in TvC, given that game's goofy, obscuro cast.

For some reason I don't trust you.

Does this look like the face of someone you can't trust?

28UoA.png

Yeah, they both were considered, but they got rid of her since they figured people would be pissed if she got in over Pheonix since (at the time) they decided against using him in the end.

Personally, I think Steel Samurai would have been a fantastic choice for TvC.

No it's not. It's killed me several times by missing what it was targeting.

Yeah, pretty much this. Sonic will just sail right by targets sometimes.

Camera's pretty shitty too, but I was already prepared for that

I don't have that issue when I play either of the Adventure games.

That doesn't mean it's not an issue. Skyward Sword has flawless controls for me when I played it but it'd be disingenuous of me to describe them as brilliant, given how much they can freak out for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom