• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does this look like the face of someone you can't trust?

I want Digimon Adventure so bad.

Too bad Namco's not going to release it here because the PSP is dead.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's been a few years since I've played it, but I remember everything quite well. If I was to pinpoint an issue that was minor, in the jungle levels while you're going down the tree trunks, depending on how you're running, it can be bumpy/jittery.

That doesn't mean it's not an issue. Skyward Sword has flawless controls for me when I played it but it'd be disingenuous of me to describe them as brilliant, given how much they can freak out for others.

That sounds more like a user error. To be honest, none of the people I've watched played the game has had the issue so it's surprising for me to see it. Especially since I have played the game so much myself, I've never run into the homing attack not working correctly.
Well, I suppose I'll abuse the mess out of it tomorrow when it comes out on 360.

Yeah, that's right, and that would have been genuinely inspired. It also would have fit amazingly well in TvC, given that game's goofy, obscuro cast.
Would you consider Wright more reasonable had he crossed over into a game that wasn't filled with absurdly powerful superheroes and supervillians then?

Her main gimmick gets tiresome for me, it's all whip this and foolish fool that, she's not bad but I never found her good either.

Personally, I think Steel Samurai would have been a fantastic choice for TvC.
This is actually a pretty neat idea.

I guess! Tatsunoko was also released during Capcom's "Capgod" days, so I would be way less cynical about his appearance as I am now. Like most of TvC, it would just be another wacky thing they'd tried.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did the PS1 games ever get remade/re-released in some fashion? I loved the first one, even though I would constantly get my arse kicked by Ivymon.
Re:Digitize was a reboot of the series (though I haven't played it), but no, I don't remember any of the PS1 games being remade in any fashion. I'm kinda surprised they didn't end up re-releasing them on a PSP collection or something. It seems like something they should do.

But now I'm remembering that this is Namco, so it probably wouldn't come out here. >.>

Her main gimmick gets tiresome for me, it's all whip this and foolish fool that, she's not bad but I never found her good either.
;____;

OMG Aero

I realise I'm doing a terrible job at explaining my feelings here, but even for what the Vs. series is, Nick felt like a bridge too far. I know characters like Vergil, Sentinel and Amaterasu showed up because of fan-demand, but those at least make perfect sense from the off- Phoenix is a bit different.

I'll put it this way- it'd be kinda neat to see Tom Nook in a Smash Bros. game, just because I like Animal Crossing, but Nintendo would never do it because Tom Nook doesn't fight. It doesn't fit his character. If he did turn up, I'd feel like they just did it because the fans asked for it a bunch. It doesn't feel genuine.

Capcom doesn't feel genuine anymore, basically. Indeed, the vision is gone, replaced by, yeah, pandering.
Do you feel the same about all the characters in Sonic All Stars Racing that don't actually race or drive vehicles?

Do you feel the same about all the characters in Sonic All Stars Racing that don't actually race or drive vehicles?

Nah, because everyone drives vehicles. Also, that game has Sonic driving a car, so that's a real case of anything goes. :p

(I realise my stance on that matter is kinda hypocritical, but it's mostly Capcom-centric. FWIW, I also think games like Project X Zone are bullshit)

Emitan

It's been a few years since I've played it, but I remember everything quite well. If I was to pinpoint an issue that was minor, in the jungle levels while you're going down the tree trunks, depending on how you're running, it can be bumpy/jittery.

That sounds more like a user error. To be honest, none of the people I've watched played the game has had the issue so it's surprising for me to see it. Especially since I have played the game so much myself, I've never run into the homing attack not working correctly.
Well, I suppose I'll abuse the mess out of it tomorrow when it comes out on 360.

It's a user error if you hit the button and they just go forwards. This means you weren't locked on. It's the game's fault when Sonic/Shadow actually flies towards their target and then misses and you die. You weren't in control so it's totally the game's fault.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's a user error if you hit the button and they just go forwards. This means you weren't locked on. It's the game's fault when Sonic/Shadow actually flies towards their target and then misses and you die. You weren't in control so it's totally the game's fault.

Well, I'll test this out tomorrow. I don't recall anything like this, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hi, I bought Sonic PC Collection two years ago and I haven't touched Sonic Riders since then. Is it a good game?
Depends on what you want from it. Consensus about that game here seems to be split (decisions about the camera, track design, etc.).

Honestly, the only person who could answer this question accurately is you.

qq more

I remember one guy on Youtube (named SonicAndInuyasha in case anyone has encountered this lunatic) actually SAYING the jumping physics in Sonic 1 GBA was better than the original and that it's a good port.

BlackJace

Hi, I bought Sonic PC Collection two years ago and I haven't touched Sonic Riders since then. Is it a good game?

Riders? It's meh. The track designs aren't creative. However, I did feel that the Air and Turbulence mechanic was handled better than Gravity in ZG. Other than thaaaaaat, it's good for quick bursts of fun. If I could get the chance to play it again, I'd do it.

Re: UMvC3: it doesn't help that, to my understanding, Wright is bottom-tier. Like, he's not unworkable in most cases, but get to serious play and the randomness will bite you in the ass. (Unless this changed in the many months since the game came out; I kinda doubt it did.)

It'd have been hilarious if he wound up being top-tier, though.

Edit: Do I need to ask about the avatar trend this time?
I have been wondering why everyone's sporting SalsaShark's helmet, yes.

Don't buy Resident Evil 6

It's garbage
ibaKja2eZAgdOc.gif

I found the answer!

I should venture into OT more often rather than specifically finding TV/Anime/Sporting Events OTs, I guess. But half the time OT makes me feel depressed, and I don't post much there anyway outside of a few threads...

Of course I find out that I deleted all the hat and sunglasses so I could try and edit yours and qq's avatars. Oh well, I should be sleeping anyways.

vt75D.png
hUZNJ.png

Nert

As a disclaimer, I love UMvC3 (despite the shady nature of it being released in the same year as vanilla MvC3), so I'm surely being biased in what I post here.

I don't see how Phoenix Wright is too ridiculous for the game, and it's definitely a stretch to say that his inclusion is indicative of Capcom's broader failings as a company. To provide some context for people not familiar with the game, you can also play as a raccoon with a British accent, a supreme cosmic being that's also a tentacle monster, a nefarious gigantic head and Haggar (a guy that attacks people with a pipe). Phoenix Wright definitely bumbles around more in his attack animations, but I think that just adds to the fun and humor of the character. If you ever have ever seen a Phoenix Wright player pull off his level three hyper combo, you would know how absolutely pumped an audience can get.

I also don't think that Capcom was bullied into including anyone in the game. They clearly would have put in Mega Man already if that was the case. A lot of their choices for the roster, in my opinion, are rather obscure and inspired. Arthur and Haggar are great callbacks, Rocket Raccoon, M.O.D.O.K and Phoenix Wright are very funny, and so on. Even characters that appear clone-ish on the surface (like Akuma and X-23) play very differently from their counterparts.

In contrast, much of the roster from PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale feels more suspect to me. Some of the characters are clearly there for marketing purposes above anything else (new Dante, Raiden).

Re: UMvC3: it doesn't help that, to my understanding, Wright is bottom-tier. Like, he's not unworkable in most cases, but get to serious play and the randomness will bite you in the ass. (Unless this changed in the many months since the game came out; I kinda doubt it did.)

It'd have been hilarious if he wound up being top-tier, though.

You're correct. He's considered to be one of the worst characters in the game, but a few tournament players have found some clever setups for him that can really catch people off guard. He can create unblockable setups pretty easily with the Maya hyper combo, for example. The random element of his character (picking up the evidence) is actually less of an obstacle for activating Turnabout Mode than landing the objection is.

Why can literally no-one form an argument as to why they don't like NiGHTS? I haven't seen any actual reasoning on the same level of those who like the game- it's all just "hurrrr if's shit".

That game really brings out people's inner manchild.

Did Night's get a demo on EU PSN? I swear I didn't see one back on Wednesday when the shop updated, i've never actually played it and trailers do not help my understanding as to what in the world is actually going on!

Still i'll probably give it a shake, if I don't like it for whatever reason i'll promise to try and make a reasonable argument just for you Scar. I was going to lob some money on there for Hell Yeah but my PS3 does not want to comply with the game so I guess i'm waiting for a patch, but maybe Nights later today.

Why can literally no-one form an argument as to why they don't like NiGHTS? I haven't seen any actual reasoning on the same level of those who like the game- it's all just "hurrrr if's shit".

I think it has to be a matter of expectations. I still see people call it a platformer when it's really anything but. Because of that people go in expecting the Saturn's Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot and instead they get a radicool sidescrolling score attack game that's short but highly replayable.

I mean I understand it not being someone's thing, but actively disliking it is something else entirely.

No-one is willing to admit they expected the wrong thing. If people would actually talk about the context they approached that game at, I'd be a lot more understanding. But they use blanket dismissal, which really grates. Creativity shouldn't be dismissed.

Did Night's get a demo on EU PSN? I swear I didn't see one back on Wednesday when the shop updated, i've never actually played it and trailers do not help my understanding as to what in the world is actually going on!

Still i'll probably give it a shake, if I don't like it for whatever reason i'll promise to try and make a reasonable argument just for you Scar. I was going to lob some money on there for Hell Yeah but my PS3 does not want to comply with the game so I guess i'm waiting for a patch, but maybe Nights later today.

Shame about Hell Yeah! not working. That game doesn't seem all that interesting to me personally, but Arkedo are a good developer- their XBLIG output is terrific. I'd probably say stick with getting that, seems like a way more immediately pleasing game, which is worth more than just being able to say you played NiGHTS.

Emitan

Last time I played it was when it came out and all I remember is being confused as hell about what to do because the game doesn't tell you anything.

Shame about Hell Yeah! not working. That game doesn't seem all that interesting to me personally, but Arkedo are a good developer- their XBLIG output is terrific. I'd probably say stick with getting that, seems like a way more immediately pleasing game, which is worth more than just being able to say you played NiGHTS.
I guess I can wait for the inevitable sale offer where it will end up a cool £3 at best, nothing to complain about at that price.

Sciz

Truly, this is the third installment we've all been waiting for.

Sonic Jump 3 is not a thing I ever expected to see, but I guess it makes sense for them to start recycling some of their old cell phone games for the modern mobile environment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SEGA SO BROKE THEY CAN'T MAKE CONSOLE GAMES.

Does anyone who bought Sonic Adventure 2 or NiGHTS PSN received the free theme? Because I bought SA2 and I didn't get anything!
I did not. Bought both and didn't get things.

Man, playing NiGHTS just ended up making me think of the comics... and how poorly they were drawn in some places.

Of course I find out that I deleted all the hat and sunglasses so I could try and edit yours and qq's avatars. Oh well, I should be sleeping anyways
hUZNJ.png
omg, I didn't think you were gonna do it. :lol I'm not sure if it fits because Tir's got some extra hair over there. Plus he won't ever age. >.>

04iAA.gif
: oh god, I knew finding this stupid cat would prove to be my undoing

KSt5A.png

On the plus side, the game's predecessors had some really fun music. Sort of a laidback, feel-good jazz feel to it. Gotta love it.

omg, I didn't think you were gonna do it. :lol I'm not sure if it fits because Tir's got some extra hair over there. Plus he won't ever age. >.>

04iAA.gif
: oh god, I knew finding this stupid cat would prove to be my undoing

KSt5A.png
Wait, you mean your avatar was a guy this whole time?

Wow, do I feel silly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom